TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lets hear your chipping tips/techniques...that work!

These were 5-10 yard soft flops. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. As you can see clubface is wide open

Getting into semantics but you are still more carry than roll which is pitch. I find that 9:00 swings are much easier than the shorter chip shots. My fat and thins start when I am 8:00 or less.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Getting into semantics but you are still more carry than roll which is pitch. I find that 9:00 swings are much easier than the shorter chip shots. My fat and thins start when I am 8:00 or less.
These are flop shots. They are not chip shots. sorry if was not clear about that. I was just trying to illustrate the use of the body and rotation in playing short game shots

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

1 hour ago, gaussman1 said:

My stance is open and narrow with ball up. That seems to make it easier for me to hit sort of "turn-turn" chips and pitches. And I stand pretty tall instead of bending way over the ball. Even flops I play this way. These are from a practice session hitting about 5 yard softies last summer. Still photos aren't super useful but it does show how much turn I'm using on such a short shot. For me the key is softness in the hands and arms on both sides of the ball and turn turn.Screenshot_20190304-115633.jpegScreenshot_20190304-115701.jpegScreenshot_20190304-115728.jpegScreenshot_20190304-115755.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thats very helpful thanks- posting the video would be even more helpful if possible?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

15 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Thats very helpful thanks- posting the video would be even more helpful if possible?

Of course. These are flops not chip shots but I think do a decent job of showing the arms and hands responding to the turning of the body on both sides of the ball. Even for a shot like this I'm not standing wide or striking hard with the hands and arms

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

As you cannot touch the ball until it's on the green this could prove difficult 😏

Agree - but in practice you can certainly use it.  Switch the mindset to a specific dimple just to get that concentration.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I am not going to post it, but if you google Justin Rose on chipping he goes over Phil’s and Seve’s techniques. I use Seve’s obviously.

The thing I see the most problems with in us Am’s is that whole “hitting down” on the ball. That drives me nuts, the ball needs to be behind your low point to hit down with a descending blow, as I’ve said in other threads I see people just smack straight down on the ball.

Ball on the backside of your swing arc. I am not a pro, but chipping, pitching and the short game is the best part of my game.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:52 AM, JudgeSmails said:

Get on Phil Mickelsons instagram....he has been posting short game tips every week.   I'd certainly take his word over mine 🙂

100% on the above. I have been following and his stuff is amazing. I had a very good short game before but hearing his 3 fundamentals and then his shot determination has helped in the last few weeks.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

4 hours ago, gaussman1 said:

These were 5-10 yard soft flops. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. As you can see clubface is wide open

And for someone who is struggling with chipping these same 5-10 yard flops are 50-60 yard blade jobs. 😁, been there. 

The most simple chipping technique for someone who is struggling is to putt the ball with a PW or 9i. Set up square with the club upright (heel off the ground), and putt it with a bit of loft. That’s it. It is very simple, takes all thinking out. This is not how I normally chip the ball. If I am struggling it is what I go to until I get the feel back. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Vijay chips cross-handed (left hand low). Did it on 17 at the Honda. I heard a putting teaching once say the best way to correct your yips was to just change your grip. Changes your motor patterns completely.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• 1 month later...

This is what my Dad taught me.  He played on a national title team at Houston in the 1950s.  He learned this from his roommate Phil Rodgers.

On a flat lie within say 5-6 yards of the green, first determine how many yards to carry onto the green.  This is your "carry" length.

Then determine how many yards of from the carry spot to the pin.  This is your "roll" length.

Divide Roll by Carry.  Subtract from 11.

This is the iron to use.  Use it as a putting stroke from that distance.  The shaft is more vertical like a putter, so play it off the toe.  I also choke up and hold the club where I would hold a putter.  

Example.

3 yards of carry.  15 yards of roll.

15/3 = 5

11-5 = 6 iron

Hit a 48 foot "putt" with your 6 iron.  The ball should carry about 9-10 feet in the air and start rolling.

Adjust for green speed, uphill, downhill etc.  If the example was downhill, I might use an 8 iron.  Because while I need 15 yards of roll, my aim target is only 9 yards of roll due to the speed of the green.  9/3 = 3.  11-3 = 8.

And for someone who is struggling with chipping these same 5-10 yard flops are 50-60 yard blade jobs. , been there. 

The most simple chipping technique for someone who is struggling is to putt the ball with a PW or 9i. Set up square with the club upright (heel off the ground), and putt it with a bit of loft. That’s it. It is very simple, takes all thinking out. This is not how I normally chip the ball. If I am struggling it is what I go to until I get the feel back. 

Goff stuff here. Where is the ball positioned?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

Goff stuff hereemoji1303.png. Where is the ball positioned?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I Usually position the ball similar to a putt. Sort of middle, but you could play it back. This technique will also put some spin on the ball, mostly because you make ball first contact, so if it is a clean lie, it may check up, but the general idea is to get the ball moving toward the hole. 

3 hours ago, CougarRed said:

This is what my Dad taught me.  He played on a national title team at Houston in the 1950s.  He learned this from his roommate Phil Rodgers.

On a flat lie within say 5-6 yards of the green, first determine how many yards to carry onto the green.  This is your "carry" length.

Then determine how many yards of from the carry spot to the pin.  This is your "roll" length.

This is the iron to use.  Use it as a putting stroke from that distance.  The shaft is more vertical like a putter, so play it off the toe.  I also choke up and hold the club where I would hold a putter.  

Example.

15/3 = 5

11-5 = 6 iron

Hit a 48 foot "putt" with your 6 iron.  The ball should carry about 9-10 feet in the air and start rolling.

Adjust for green speed, uphill, downhill etc.  If the example was downhill, I might use an 8 iron.  Because while I need 15 yards of roll, my aim target is only 9 yards of roll due to the speed of the green.  9/3 = 3.  11-3 = 8.

That is a lot of math. Sounds interesting. I suppose if you get used to the numbers, it becomes natural and a quick process. For someone struggling though this could be too much to contemplate, but it seems like a concept. 

4 hours ago, CougarRed said:

Example.

15/3 = 5

11-5 = 6 iron

is that YOU Sheldon Cooper? 😉

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

When I get problems with my chipping I practise with no weight on my right foot at all. Keeps lower body out of the shot. If it is a tight lie I will tend to let the left arm dominate and nip it ball then turf a little back in my stance. Flop  right hand dominates with ball pretty much off the left toe

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

On 3/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, juspoole said:

This is an odd one but it came from Michael breed and is all about contact. It’s extremely simple but effective. Concentrate on the front part of the ball during your chip. I like to put the logo facing the target and just look at the logo. It’s so simple but it really works well and gives more consistent contact

On 3/4/2019 at 11:26 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

As you cannot touch the ball until it's on the green this could prove difficult 😏

Of course! ..but the idea of the exercise is to focus on a spot on the front side of the ball, or you can pick a spot on the ground just in front of the ball to focus on and swing over. Another method to help with low point control.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 3/4/2019 at 4:39 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

The most simple chipping technique for someone who is struggling is to putt the ball with a PW or 9i. Set up square with the club upright (heel off the ground), and putt it with a bit of loft.

Yes! Call it a "chip-putt" (or a "putt-chip" if you like) and you can do it with almost any club - including a hybrid or even a fairway - and the technique can be really helpful getting out of a bad/messy lie near the green, and just getting the ball up onto the green.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

On 4/29/2019 at 5:21 PM, Alf. S said:

When I get problems with my chipping I practise with no weight on my right foot at all. Keeps lower body out of the shot. If it is a tight lie I will tend to let the left arm dominate and nip it ball then turf a little back in my stance.

James Sieckmann promotes that when close to the green on a tight lie - all arms, stay still and let the clubhead drop onto the back of the ball .. and then a little follow-through.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Yes! Call it a "chip-putt" (or a "putt-chip" if you like) and you can do it with almost any club - including a hybrid or even a fairway - and the technique can be really helpful getting out of a bad/messy lie near the green, and just getting the ball up onto the green.

My course has a lot of grassy mounds all over the course; some holes have them behind or to the side of greens.  They make chipping difficult, especially when the hole is close.  It probably depends on your grass, but this method works for me on this shot.  

6 feet of grass on a downhill lie to the green with hole 10 feet on.  A teaching pro showed me this shot with a wedge; stand close to the ball, shaft vertical, use a putting stroke.  He holed it!  The key is knowing how the ball reacts when it lands on the grass, and that takes some practice.  Practicing that shot has to happen on the course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've tried all these techniques - thank you all for the excellent input - some worked miracles for a day, others crashed and burned on takeoff.

The 'all your weight on lead foot' style just isnt working for me and feels so awkward. I'm a feel type of player with fundamentals first.

However, in my searching I found a drill online that is showing tremendous promise, so far. I can stand naturally and play the ball naturally in the centre of my narrow open stance, then the flight is down to the loft on the club. Its reminiscent of the way I chipped as a young man so I'll stick with the drills and report back if it lasts longer than a day lol

I think another thing to remember is not to get mad because the ball is not close to the pin. Remember when you are struggling, the object is to get the ball on the green first. when that is very comfortable then you should try to get the ball close, baby steps, you can’t go from struggling to perfect every time with a simple tip, you have to take it one shot at a time. Some of the tips are meant to get the ball moving in the direction of the green, and in time you can learn to control that shot, and get it to do what you want it to do .

14 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I think another thing to remember is not to get mad because the ball is not close to the pin. Remember when you are struggling, the object is to get the ball on the green first. when that is very comfortable then you should try to get the ball close, baby steps, you can’t go from struggling to perfect every time with a simple tip, you have to take it one shot at a time. Some of the tips are meant to get the ball moving in the direction of the green, and in time you can learn to control that shot, and get it to do what you want it to do .

I never get mad on the course, disappointed yes, mad no.

the 'new' drill just ensured proper connection, so I actually did chip very well all to between 2-8 feet (even putted a couple of these chips in lol).  I used to be very good at chipping, this just awakened that 'feel'.

10 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I never get mad on the course, disappointed yes, mad no.

the 'new' drill just ensured proper connection, so I actually did chip very well all to between 2-8 feet (even putted a couple of these chips in lol).  I used to be very good at chipping, this just awakened that 'feel'.

Yes. Disappointed  or frustrated would be better used there 

Here's another technique (not a bad website for learning golf basics and terminology).

https://golf-info-guide.com/video-golf-tips/should-i-hinge-my-wrists-more-when-chipping-at-golf-video/

But as soon as one finds someone who discounts one method (ie. wrist flipping) , there is always another golfer who excelled in it (see Count Yogi's style below - the complete opposite).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5yHmlHSAsg

And here's another few:

Ben Hogan Chipping style (the description of how to do it is at the end of the video)

There seems to be a variety of chipping opinions :

1. Restrict wrist movement to improve  a theoretically opinionated technique . But no real detail of 'how' to perform the stroke (ie. from a biomechanics perspective).

2. Allow natural wrist movement (again no details on the 'how' to perform the stroke)

3. A mix of both

How about focusing on your intended outcome and just letting your body find the best way to meet that intent? Is that a worthwhile proposition or will 'fear'  just creep in and short circuit everything?

Edited by Wildthing

One thing that helped me last year is to chip with one club all of the time.  For me that was my 58 with three trajectories, high, medium and low.  The low was no where near as low as chipping with a pitching wedge but it would still release and run. 

Technically it would be much better to chip with 4 or 5 clubs using the minimum loft that the shot requires.  I never put in the time to get a feel for how far 2 or 3 wedges go let alone 5.   Practicing with one club and three trajectories was much more manageable.  Practice chipping with 3 balls and for each target do one ball medium (stock shot), high and then low.  It does not take too much time to get used to how far each of these shots go with different length back swings.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

This one is excellent!

I tried Phil's Hinge and Hold method before.  I never understood what it is that you are supposed to "hold."  Can someone clear this up?  It can't be the wrist cock can it?

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons