TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lets hear your chipping tips/techniques...that work!

yup!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Now that I have about 90 holes played this season and have tried to stay focused on the simple mechanical tips in the thread (ball back, shaft forward, weight forward), I have gotten quite comfortable around the green. I've settled in on using my 60* for almost all chips without too much adjustment to loft (some, but not a lot) - I've mainly done this because I rarely have time warming up to get a sense of the speed for SW, AW, PW so I figure I'm better off sticking with one club and getting comfortable with it.

For the season, I am averaging 1.53 putts per hole which is in large part due to my chipping proximity since I miss a fair number of greens.

Thanks for all the tips you guys have put in here!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Completely baffling.  Why not then just set up with your wrists cocked at address? (this is related to Hinge and Hold).

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Completely baffling.  Why not then just set up with your wrists cocked at address? (this is related to Hinge and Hold).

Is the wrist hinge left/right or up/down?  Must be left/right.

If you google Justin Rose on chipping he goes into the ins and outs of the hinge and hold.

I don’t like it personally, without s lot of practice you can get in some serious doo doo. I tried it, it works for Phil, it’s his technique and it is weird. But he’s Phil so it’s cool.

If you are looking to copy a pros style, Jason Dufner, Jason Day, Tiger, Rickie, Luke Donald all have really good techniques that are much easier to emulate.

The goal is to keep the lead wrist firm. Lee Trevino is a magician as well, firm lead wrist. Watch you some hours of Lee.

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Next time out I’ll video my technique for you guys. It’s mine, there are many like it but I can drop and stop chips, make them roll, discount double check, and many more.

Would love to see it.  The only chip shots I have are the "rocket" and the "chunk."

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
Axis1 Rose putter

One of the videos above showed this style. This photo is exactly what the chip shot that I am speaking about should look like. This is very basic and is for what the OP was speaking. He spoke of “trouble” chipping, and that he was really struggling. This setup is a simple way to eliminate the chunk, and the rocket. I think the club in the photo is a mid iron or some sort, I use my PW so it will put a little check on the ball. You can see in the photo that shaft is upright which brings the heel of the club off the ground, which puts the toe down. 

600E42B7-100F-4135-B7D3-366E7CCA100E.png

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

17 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

One of the videos above showed this style. This photo is exactly what the chip shot that I am speaking about should look like. This is very basic and is for what the OP was speaking. He spoke of “trouble” chipping, and that he was really struggling. This setup is a simple way to eliminate the chunk, and the rocket. I think the club in the photo is a mid iron or some sort, I use my PW so it will put a little check on the ball. You can see in the photo that shaft is upright which brings the heel of the club off the ground, which puts the toe down. 

600E42B7-100F-4135-B7D3-366E7CCA100E.png

this is what Jim Furyk advocates

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a great forum.  At the suggestion of some of you, I checked out the Justin Rose video.  What a great video.

I also started reading up on the Siekmann method.  It's very similar to that which Stockton promotes.  I haven't yet really executed when the pressure is on, but I have seen improvement trying his technique.  Haven't seen many videos, though: 

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/james-sieckmanns-short-game-tips

Axis1 Rose putter

• 3 weeks later...

I got Sieckmann's book - "The short game solution" and see the reasoning behind his technique to use the bounce and minimize digging.

The one piece I have struggled with is applying the technique to greenside shots with very short carry (<10 yards) and short roll out. Basically if you are short sided and/or the green runs away from you. My default is to play a bump and run whenever the situation allows with a PW/9i. Would be interested to hear some feedback form folks on here about how they deal with being short sided. I am using my 60 LW more often because trying to make a tiny backswing with a PW feels harder to control. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

6 hours ago, BMart519 said:

I got Sieckmann's book - "The short game solution" and see the reasoning behind his technique to use the bounce and minimize digging.

The one piece I have struggled with is applying the technique to greenside shots with very short carry (<10 yards) and short roll out. Basically if you are short sided and/or the green runs away from you. My default is to play a bump and run whenever the situation allows with a PW/9i. Would be interested to hear some feedback form folks on here about how they deal with being short sided. I am using my 60 LW more often because trying to make a tiny backswing with a PW feels harder to control. 

I also feel less comfortable with shorter shots overall.

Axis1 Rose putter

On 2/28/2019 at 12:09 PM, PMookie said:

One thing a former player of mine taught me was to go buy a cheap, beat-up wedge. Then, grab some old balls, and practice chipping off of CONCRETE! You learn to use the bounce VERY quickly! I thought he was crazy, but he was taught this by Chuck Cook when the kid was a student of his back when the kid was going Pro. It’s crazy, but it DOES work if one tends to blade shots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I teach with plywood!   If you can't hit it off a hard surface you won't hit it well off anything!   Width, Arc/Radius, contact, trajectory control, & spin are required to have a well rounded short game.  Locking or immobilizing anything is the kiss of death.  Pelz & Phil are not the answer for most players.  

13 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I also feel less comfortable with shorter shots overall.

You should feel uncomfortable short sided.  Very few options and more difficult shots to get within 3'.  Understand good approach targeting and eliminate as many short sided shots as possible.  Some of the best wedge players have the easiest shots to hit.  For example, for a skillful player, Woodlands shot on hole 17 wasn't the miracle the media made it out to be.  It was the easiest - perfect lie = perfect contact and  spin control.  You don't get that ease out of 4" of rough.  He had a perfect lie - not a difficult one.  

On 3/4/2019 at 11:50 AM, MaxEntropy said:

This is an excellent point that I had never considered. I move the ball around in my stance a lot depending on how high or low I want the ball to go. At my skill level (or lack thereof), maybe I'm asking too much of myself hoping for a perfect strike every time.

You are not asking too much.  In fact, with proper technique you don't have to hit it perfectly solid to get a reasonable result.  Why would anyone want to use a technique that only gave good results from perfect contact?   There is a better way!! 

Ridyard, JD Pierce, Sickman

9 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

You are not asking too much.  In fact, with proper technique you don't have to hit it perfectly solid to get a reasonable result.  Why would anyone want to use a technique that only gave good results from perfect contact?   There is a better way!! 

Ridyard, JD Pierce, Sickman

Understood.  I am a fan of the Siekmann method.  But in my reading of his book, it appears that the method does not promote (and does not want) spin.  That's not to say you don't get spin.  You do on longer shots.  But not the super short ones.  Maybe I have that wrong.

Axis1 Rose putter

8 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Understood.  I am a fan of the Siekmann method.  But in my reading of his book, it appears that the method does not promote (and does not want) spin.  That's not to say you don't get spin.  You do on longer shots.  But not the super short ones.  Maybe I have that wrong.

Lot's of great information available.  Spin can be good if you can guarantee you can produce it on call.  Nothing worse than expecting roll out and the ball stops.  If you can control it (and situation call for it) use it.  If you can't, avoid it all costs.  You are correct, super short ones don't spin very well.  

35 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

I teach with plywood!   If you can't hit it off a hard surface you won't hit it well off anything!   Width, Arc/Radius, contact, trajectory control, & spin are required to have a well rounded short game.  Locking or immobilizing anything is the kiss of death.  Pelz & Phil are not the answer for most players.  

no wrist hinge seems to work for many (incl me now) for wedge shots up to about 75yds. I believe Jason Day is a big proponent as well.

10 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

no wrist hinge seems to work for many (incl me now) for wedge shots up to about 75yds. I believe Jason Day is a big proponent as well.

Jason Day uses wrist hinge, just a minimal amount.  It is creating a match up of the body and wrists that deliver a useful angle of attack, launch trajectory, predictable distance, & predictable spin desired.  The key is that he delivers a shaft and head relationship that is very similar to all great wedge players.  That delivery is what is important, the technique is what gets the job done.  However, no great wedge player has anything locked.  There is hinge - more or less.  There is body rotation - more or less.  There is pressure transfer - more or less.  There is flexion, extension, & tilt - more or less.  Jason Day is a proponent for what works for him the same as every good player.  

• 6 months later...

think I have it 'almost' sussed after a few weeks chipping on the bedroom floor, something didnt feel right, so I changed it for yesterdays game and I was chipping high and low shots to order, even chipped in from 25 yds. It was so basic my fault that I think other chippers dont do it it hence why they are good chippers. Hoping it lasts

On 6/21/2019 at 7:11 AM, Dr Strangelove said:

I use techniques from Sieckman's book and have been able to get 2000+ rpm of backspin using my 60* wedge on 20 yard shots on an indoor simulator... Perfect lie is a big help, but they are generic balls which I assume are equivalent to 1 piece range balls since some have cracked open. Between the height on a 60* and that level of backspin the ball stops quick based on indoor testing... Would the gains in spin using a urethane tour ball offset having grass between the club face and ball when hitting out of the rough? I'm not smart enough or experienced to answer that question. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

Chipping in my two scents here

The teacher at my local golf course suggested that raising your rear heel slightly through impact would help to not keep as much weight on the back foot which apparently leads to hitting it fat or thin (by shifting the weight).

He also mentioned to take your regular set up, and take a few practice chipping swings to see where your swing bottomed out, by making the grass get roughed up a little. Then move your stance and the position of the ball to catch it accordingly for good consistent contact.

:cobra-small: F7 Driver

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ 3 and 5 wood

:cobra-small: F9 irons 5 thru GW

:cobra-small: King Black Wedges 52/56/60

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

think I have it 'almost' sussed after a few weeks chipping on the bedroom floor, something didnt feel right, so I changed it for yesterdays game and I was chipping high and low shots to order, even chipped in from 25 yds. It was so basic my fault that I think other chippers dont do it it hence why they are good chippers. Hoping it lasts

it didn't! 😂

Every aspect of my game last round was good to very good....except chipping which was ugly to watch and ugly to feel, fats and thins galore.

Having a lesson tonight to see what the obvious fault is as my set up is text book and comfortable, but the execution is where it all falls to pieces. The Pro I'm seeing is renowned for his wedge play so lets see.

7 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

it didn't! 😂

Every aspect of my game last round was good to very good....except chipping which was ugly to watch and ugly to feel, fats and thins galore.

Having a lesson tonight to see what the obvious fault is as my set up is text book and comfortable, but the execution is where it all falls to pieces. The Pro I'm seeing is renowned for his wedge play so lets see.

How'd the lesson go?  I'm curious what he said.

The biggest change for me was moving closer to the ball; hands close to the knees.  That prevented me from pulling the club to the inside on the backswing which led to chunks.  Now it feels more up and down, even though with rotation I know it's not.

I like to use my 60º for most shots around the green unless the shot is too long.  I use more shaft lean and low followthrough for lower running shots and a more vertical shaft for a higher, softer shot.  However, that's turf and green-dependent.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

16 hours ago, Kenny B said:

How'd the lesson go?  I'm curious what he said.

so am I, the hail rain sleet and wind took over and the course closed, trying to reschedule for Thursday as there promises only heavy showers, will report back.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

so am I, the hail rain sleet and wind took over and the course closed, trying to reschedule for Thursday as there promises only heavy showers, will report back.

course closed again today- rain wont stop

• 1 month later...

I set up with my weight already shifted if the shot is not a full swing. I aim by finding something behind me instead of aiming at a target. And of course I hit down on the ball to get a high lifted iron up in the air.

its all practice

Cobra Driver, 3 wood, 4,5 hybrids, callaway irons,

My short game is a mess 😞 Can't seem to take it from the practice area to the course.    The failure is causing me to experiment too much with technique.   Maybe  I just need new wedges!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG