perseveringgolfer

Lets hear your chipping tips/techniques...that work!

I think another thing to remember is not to get mad because the ball is not close to the pin. Remember when you are struggling, the object is to get the ball on the green first. when that is very comfortable then you should try to get the ball close, baby steps, you can’t go from struggling to perfect every time with a simple tip, you have to take it one shot at a time. Some of the tips are meant to get the ball moving in the direction of the green, and in time you can learn to control that shot, and get it to do what you want it to do .

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I think another thing to remember is not to get mad because the ball is not close to the pin. Remember when you are struggling, the object is to get the ball on the green first. when that is very comfortable then you should try to get the ball close, baby steps, you can’t go from struggling to perfect every time with a simple tip, you have to take it one shot at a time. Some of the tips are meant to get the ball moving in the direction of the green, and in time you can learn to control that shot, and get it to do what you want it to do .

I never get mad on the course, disappointed yes, mad no.

the 'new' drill just ensured proper connection, so I actually did chip very well all to between 2-8 feet (even putted a couple of these chips in lol).  I used to be very good at chipping, this just awakened that 'feel'.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I never get mad on the course, disappointed yes, mad no.

the 'new' drill just ensured proper connection, so I actually did chip very well all to between 2-8 feet (even putted a couple of these chips in lol).  I used to be very good at chipping, this just awakened that 'feel'.

Yes. Disappointed  or frustrated would be better used there 

Posted (edited)

Here's another technique (not a bad website for learning golf basics and terminology).

https://golf-info-guide.com/video-golf-tips/should-i-hinge-my-wrists-more-when-chipping-at-golf-video/

But as soon as one finds someone who discounts one method (ie. wrist flipping) , there is always another golfer who excelled in it (see Count Yogi's style below - the complete opposite).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5yHmlHSAsg

And here's another few:

Ben Hogan Chipping style (the description of how to do it is at the end of the video)

There seems to be a variety of chipping opinions :

1. Restrict wrist movement to improve  a theoretically opinionated technique . But no real detail of 'how' to perform the stroke (ie. from a biomechanics perspective).

2. Allow natural wrist movement (again no details on the 'how' to perform the stroke)

3. A mix of both

How about focusing on your intended outcome and just letting your body find the best way to meet that intent? Is that a worthwhile proposition or will 'fear'  just creep in and short circuit everything?

Edited by Wildthing

One thing that helped me last year is to chip with one club all of the time.  For me that was my 58 with three trajectories, high, medium and low.  The low was no where near as low as chipping with a pitching wedge but it would still release and run. 

Technically it would be much better to chip with 4 or 5 clubs using the minimum loft that the shot requires.  I never put in the time to get a feel for how far 2 or 3 wedges go let alone 5.   Practicing with one club and three trajectories was much more manageable.  Practice chipping with 3 balls and for each target do one ball medium (stock shot), high and then low.  It does not take too much time to get used to how far each of these shots go with different length back swings.  

I tried Phil's Hinge and Hold method before.  I never understood what it is that you are supposed to "hold."  Can someone clear this up?  It can't be the wrist cock can it?

I tried Phil's Hinge and Hold method before.  I never understood what it is that you are supposed to "hold."  Can someone clear this up?  It can't be the wrist cock can it?

Yes. Very difficult to master unless you have 8+ hours a day to practice.
  • Like 1

Now that I have about 90 holes played this season and have tried to stay focused on the simple mechanical tips in the thread (ball back, shaft forward, weight forward), I have gotten quite comfortable around the green. I've settled in on using my 60* for almost all chips without too much adjustment to loft (some, but not a lot) - I've mainly done this because I rarely have time warming up to get a sense of the speed for SW, AW, PW so I figure I'm better off sticking with one club and getting comfortable with it.

For the season, I am averaging 1.53 putts per hole which is in large part due to my chipping proximity since I miss a fair number of greens.

Thanks for all the tips you guys have put in here!

• Like 4

Completely baffling.  Why not then just set up with your wrists cocked at address? (this is related to Hinge and Hold).

Completely baffling.  Why not then just set up with your wrists cocked at address? (this is related to Hinge and Hold).

Is the wrist hinge left/right or up/down?  Must be left/right.

If you google Justin Rose on chipping he goes into the ins and outs of the hinge and hold.

I don’t like it personally, without s lot of practice you can get in some serious doo doo. I tried it, it works for Phil, it’s his technique and it is weird. But he’s Phil so it’s cool.

If you are looking to copy a pros style, Jason Dufner, Jason Day, Tiger, Rickie, Luke Donald all have really good techniques that are much easier to emulate.

The goal is to keep the lead wrist firm. Lee Trevino is a magician as well, firm lead wrist. Watch you some hours of Lee.

Next time out I’ll video my technique for you guys. It’s mine, there are many like it but I can drop and stop chips, make them roll, discount double check, and many more.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Next time out I’ll video my technique for you guys. It’s mine, there are many like it but I can drop and stop chips, make them roll, discount double check, and many more.

Would love to see it.  The only chip shots I have are the "rocket" and the "chunk."

• Like 3

Would love to see it.  The only chip shots I have are the "rocket" and the "chunk."

I get those once and a while.

I’m very monotone, and boring but I’ll try to talk through my set up and whatever.

Shanky’s short game sessions coming up.

(Gotta heal my hip first)
  • Like 1

One of the videos above showed this style. This photo is exactly what the chip shot that I am speaking about should look like. This is very basic and is for what the OP was speaking. He spoke of “trouble” chipping, and that he was really struggling. This setup is a simple way to eliminate the chunk, and the rocket. I think the club in the photo is a mid iron or some sort, I use my PW so it will put a little check on the ball. You can see in the photo that shaft is upright which brings the heel of the club off the ground, which puts the toe down. 

600E42B7-100F-4135-B7D3-366E7CCA100E.png

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

One of the videos above showed this style. This photo is exactly what the chip shot that I am speaking about should look like. This is very basic and is for what the OP was speaking. He spoke of “trouble” chipping, and that he was really struggling. This setup is a simple way to eliminate the chunk, and the rocket. I think the club in the photo is a mid iron or some sort, I use my PW so it will put a little check on the ball. You can see in the photo that shaft is upright which brings the heel of the club off the ground, which puts the toe down. 

600E42B7-100F-4135-B7D3-366E7CCA100E.png

this is what Jim Furyk advocates