Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

So many choices...

Good day Spies, 

I start this thread with hope to get kore insight. 

I currently play, 25 yo (at least) Macgregor Proformer Plus OS,  given to me by my dad. After last season, I'm a high teens, low twenties handicap. 

I am looking to upgrade, but not break the bank. I was looking at the Maltby irons. The KE4 S, KE4 Tour + and also the STi.

I have a pretty straight ball flight and like it medium height. I swing my driver between 97-105 mph.

For 150 yds, I usualy use my 8 iron, depending on lie and condition...

You guys' input would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers from Canada

Just a couple of points...

Although I don't know the Maltby clubs you mention, their clubs have been pretty good in the past.  I built a set of their clubs many years ago.  It was a learning experience for me.  If you are familiar with building clubs, it's not a bad way to go to save some money.  If you haven't built clubs, there are some tricks that you need to know if you want them to turn out well.

As we say on this site, everyone should be fit for their clubs.  If you don't know your specs and build a set of clubs, there is a good chance that they won't be the best clubs for you.  I'm not sure what your budget is, but the price of the heads and grips along with a shaft that fits your swing could be around $500.  For that price you could go get fit and find several brand options at a pre-owned price for less than that.  

While looks are certainly important when considering clubs, the selection should be based on how well a club performs for you.  You can only do that through fitting and testing.  As you say... there are so many choices.  Best of luck in your selection!  The fun starts now!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Lots of great stuff on EBay at a fraction of the original price. It’s hard to go wrong with a Ping product and the best part is getting them fitted is a breeze even with a used set. MGS has reviews going back several years. If you read those reviews then go shopping on EBay armed with your new knowledge I am sure you can find a set of nice irons.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Play it Again Sports.

If you want new clubs for cheap, try Tour Edge.  Quality is as good as the more expensive stuff and they are more affordable.

Ben Hogan golf is also less costly for brand new state of the art clubs.

You can also go to custom club makers with little to no name recognition, like gigagolf.com  I've bought a few clubs from giga golf and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
5 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Play it Again Sports.

If you want new clubs for cheap, try Tour Edge.  Quality is as good as the more expensive stuff and they are more affordable.

You can also go to custom club makers with little to no name recognition, like gigagolf.com  I've bought a few clubs from giga golf and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Depends which line of Tour Edge stuff you buy...  the Bazooka and Hot Launch is more value oriented.  The Exotics line is top notch and carries the price tag to match.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

19 hours ago, Sebastien_Peltier said:

Good day Spies, 

I start this thread with hope to get kore insight. 

I currently play, 25 yo (at least) Macgregor Proformer Plus OS,  given to me by my dad. After last season, I'm a high teens, low twenties handicap. 

I am looking to upgrade, but not break the bank. I was looking at the Maltby irons. The KE4 S, KE4 Tour + and also the STi.

I have a pretty straight ball flight and like it medium height. I swing my driver between 97-105 mph.

For 150 yds, I usualy use my 8 iron, depending on lie and condition...

You guys' input would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers from Canada

Go to Dicks or Golf Galaxy and hit different flex shafts to find the one that suits you, then I would go on ebay and buy last years or two year old clubs, you can find them cheap, making sure the clubs have the shafts you like.  I would look for a game improving head with plenty of cavity back for the extra forgiveness.  Hone your swing for a year or two and then go get a real, complete fitting.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

You might want to check out Rock Bottom Golf, I got my Tour Edge Exotics irons for $149.00 when everyone else had them for $699.00. You may have to be patient and watch for a while. Oh, and yes mine were new not used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2019 at 6:46 AM, Mr. 82 said:

Play it Again Sports.

My current irons are from Giga Golf. The Verve irons are like Pings and they play well. I'd buy from Giga Golf again.

I'd Look at Sub70 golf. I was able to chat with the CEO (Jason) and talk about my game and specifically what I was looking to get out of the clubs. He then recommended the proper model, and different shafts that would fit what I was looking for. They also offer a $20 demo program to test out the clubs for 14 days and see how they perform for you and also have a 60 day money back guarantee if you are happy. The customer service is second to none, and I'm looking forward to heading to their facility when all this is over! 

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver