TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rickie Fowler drops a deuce on the new drop rule

TR1PTIK

Well after the issues Fowler's encountered with the new drop rules so far in 2019 (what happened at WMPO would have been the same under the old rules), he decided to poke a little fun at the new rule. I'll have to let someone else find a video or image to post as I am currently supposed to be working (oops). I'll try to explain as well as I can... Fowler - with rules official present - had to drop in the fairway and while making sure he used the proper technique "toyed" with the idea of squatting and dropping from his back side. It was a quick move and he ultimately dropped in an appropriate fashion, but I personally found it quite enjoyable to see that unfold.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I saw one pro, I think it might have been Jason Day, get down on one knee and drop it from the raised knee. 

I also heard Bryson D. ask if he could drop from his knee while squatted down like a catcher.

BTW, I'm at work too. 

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

Things to note: Skratch is a product of the PGA Tour. They'll take the views, monetize it, and then fine Rickie for the drop:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I highly expect, he'll receive some sort of fine or harsh words for that. I will also be surprised if he doesn't issue a statement saying that he shouldn't have done that, but I'm glad he did. It was well worth it for entertainment value.

as far as I'm aware it must be from the height your knee would be in a standing position, squatting lowers that height.

so technically you can squat as long as the knee is at the same standing height.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Seems like the drop would be perfectly acceptable if he just went down a little further...

From the USGA wesbite:

New Rule: Players continue to drop a ball when taking relief, but the dropping procedure is changed in several ways as detailed in Rule 14.3:

• How a ball may be dropped is simplified; the only requirement is that the ball be let go from knee height so that it falls through the air and does not touch any part of the player’s body or equipment before it hits the ground.

3 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

as far as I'm aware it must be from the height your knee would be in a standing position, squatting lowers that height.

so technically you can squat as long as the knee is at the same standing height

There is an illustration in the rules that illustrates this very clearly, showing a player squatting.  You can squat, as long as you DROP from the height your knee is when standing.  You can kneel on both knees, as long as you drop from that height.  You can lay down, and reach upwards to the correct drop height.  And yes, you can drop between your legs, as Rickie demonstrated.  

Actually, I'm glad he's having some fun with it.  He did say it "looks silly", and I didn't really agree with him until I saw that video clip.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

This is a great way for Rickie to use some humor to poke at the penalty he received last week.

If Rickie is fined for this, but Bryson is not for damaging the practice green last week, then the tour has their priorities messed up.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I highly expect, he'll receive some sort of fine or harsh words for that. I will also be surprised if he doesn't issue a statement saying that he shouldn't have done that, but I'm glad he did. It was well worth it for entertainment value.

6 minutes ago, palvord said:

This is a great way for Rickie to use some humor to poke at the penalty he received last week.

If Rickie is fined for this, but Bryson is not for damaging the practice green last week, then the tour has their priorities messed up.

Did I miss something as the clip @GolfSpy MPR posted shows a bit of fun then a legal drop.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

13 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Did I miss something as the clip @GolfSpy MPR posted shows a bit of fun then a legal drop.

Agreed. I think Rickie is having a bit of fun. And if that causes him to be fined, as was suggested as a possibility, I think the tour is out of line.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I saw him messing around with drop and thought it was hilarious!  With all the statues and vanilla-ness out on tour,  Rickie made me laugh. This was a fun poke at the rules.  The rules will soon become 2nd nature.  Hard to change something you have done for the better part of your life.  I do wish it was knee and above or knee to waist.  

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

I sincerely hope he doesn't get fined, but given how much attention has been paid to the USGA over the 2019 rules changes and the TOUR's relationship with the USGA it's not completely out of reach. We've seen people get hit for some weird and stupid things in the past. It all depends on how the TOUR views it.

https://www.thoughtco.com/weird-golf-penalties-4140287

18 minutes ago, Shankster said:

So do we think this one will get reworked next rules change? I mean the shoulder height thing is just second nature now. That behind the back one really baffled me, this one is just funny how much attention it is getting.

I'm not sure they couldn't with as much negative press as they've received over it. Even the R&A has come out and admitted that the new rules aren't working out as well as they'd hoped.

Just let them place it and get on with it - if pace of play is the concern.

If not everyone will adjust to it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

False advertising with the headline...I really expected much worse.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I thought the same thing when I saw the header

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This is a pretty lousy reaction. Other sports change, or modify rules, all the time, and players adjust. In my playing time, this is the third way to drop. No big deal, I'll just drop the way the rules say to drop. I really can't believe these world class players are having such an issue with bending a bit. I guess this might take their ability to place a ball after a drop rolls away. Time to act like a big boy, Rickie!

Just a question on the provocation side of the rule.....

New Rule: Players continue to drop a ball when taking relief, but the dropping procedure is changed in several ways as detailed in Rule 14.3:

• How a ball may be dropped is simplified; the only requirement is that the ball be let go from knee height so that it falls through the air and does not touch any part of the player’s body or equipment before it hits the ground.

If i squat and drop it at bent knees height,  they can´t actually say i´m wrong !?!? I Know it´s pushing the common sense but i would like to see the arguments.

It’s getting a bit old now with the dropping of the golf ball. There shouldn’t be any issues with it on the tour at this point. If there is, it’s their own fault. This is supposed to save time because you drop from a lower height into a bigger area, so the ball should not move as much as it would from a higher drop, therefore,  it should put the ball in play much quicker than before. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

We never have issues with our "dropped balls" moving.  😉

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they'll also rethink (did they even think?) the pin-in ; pin-out rule. It's already turned into mess IMO. Where it used to be understood the pin comes out unless tended is now a guessing - asking game and needless confusion. I haven't witnessed one player improve their putting by leaving the pin in. And pace of play is unchanged. The new pin rule is a forced nuisance. I'll contend yet again.... most putts are missed on one side or the other. Are they not? Others come up short. Except on rare occasions are putts not holed because they were dead online but too fast where a pin in could have potentially caused a holed putt. And that's also assuming the ball doesn't deflect. Pins are round. Not square in shape. It does happen but it's just extremely rare and lucky. We've all seen and had those in the past. Expl: putting from the collar with Pin in and the ball is on a rapid pace (hit too hard) and would have run by the hole a mile. But by a lucky chance (and poor stroke) it slams into the  pin perfectly square and drops! Yeah!! What luck! Same with chipping. It happens but it's rare at any level of play. We all read often how people struggle with putting. We'll it's not because they weren't allowed to leave a pin in. That would be a convenient excuse I suppose but there are many reasons - factors that do not include the pin whatsoever. Care to name a few? USGA, ditch the new pin rule.!!

Now so I don't totally jack the thread I don't necessarily have a problem with the new Dropping rule - other than it looks goofy but; why not just allow players to determine for themselves what's best for them and their situation. I'd suggest you may drop from anywhere between shoulder level to knee level. Your choice.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I believe that a "rule massage" for taking a drop is coming soon from the USGA and R&A.

In my opinion, I believe this rule will at least get a full year before being considered for change.   There were pretty clearly stated reasons for their choice, best explained here:

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/golf-new-rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019 (1).pdf

in item 17. Its no more complicated than the previous rule (drop from the height of THIS body part), and to be honest, I don't think it looks bad unless someone is trying to make it look bad.  And if I see an attractive young lady ending over a bit, I'm not going to complain.

The one rule which I think might be reconsidered is the flagstick rule.  Based on every comment from the USGA and R&A, it seems to me like they didn't do any research on the effects.  I'm not sure the effects on scoring will be significant, but there's at least a perception of advantage. I think it has the potential to save a few seconds, but without proper communication, also has the potential to lose a little time.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

26 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In my opinion, I believe this rule will at least get a full year before being considered for change.   There were pretty clearly stated reasons for their choice, best explained here:

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/golf-new-rules/Explanation for Each Major Change in the New Rules of Golf for 2019 (1).pdf

in item 17. Its no more complicated than the previous rule (drop from the height of THIS body part), and to be honest, I don't think it looks bad unless someone is trying to make it look bad.  And if I see an attractive young lady ending over a bit, I'm not going to complain.

The one rule which I think might be reconsidered is the flagstick rule.  Based on every comment from the USGA and R&A, it seems to me like they didn't do any research on the effects.  I'm not sure the effects on scoring will be significant, but there's at least a perception of advantage. I think it has the potential to save a few seconds, but without proper communication, also has the potential to lose a little time.  

I believe the rule will be modified to allow from knee height to something higher, and it will be before the end of the year.

It will be interesting to see what Augusta National does with the flagstick rule.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

45 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I believe the rule will be modified to allow from knee height to something higher, and it will be before the end of the year.

It will be interesting to see what Augusta National does with the flagstick rule.

If they choose to play by the Rules of Golf, there's nothing they can do.  They're not allowed to institute a penalty for something that the rules allow.

And if the drop rule is changed this year, I'll be wrong.  That's happened before, just ask my wife.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I doubt they change the rule this year or next and iirc any major rules changes occur every 3 years. The rule probavky didn’t need to change and once they decided to do they probably should have gone with just place it vice dropping from the knee.

its a bigger deal than it needs to be because Bryson wanted to keep acting liked a spoiled pompous brat in Hawaii and Rickie had a brain fart a couple weeks ago

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I doubt they change the rule this year or next and iirc any major rules changes occur every 3 years. The rule probavky didn’t need to change and once they decided to do they probably should have gone with just place it vice dropping from the knee.

its a bigger deal than it needs to be because Bryson wanted to keep acting liked a spoiled pompous brat in Hawaii and Rickie had a brain fart a couple weeks ago

If their decision for the change ever had anything at all to do with pace of play, this is definitely the route they should have taken IMO. Hopefully they will at least make a modification to allow drops from anywhere between knee and shoulder height.