Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Rickie Fowler drops a deuce on the new drop rule

TR1PTIK

59 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

If their decision for the change ever had anything at all to do with pace of play, this is definitely the route they should have taken IMO. Hopefully they will at least make a modification to allow drops from anywhere between knee and shoulder height.

I doubt they will go that route. The initial proposal was changed from up to 1” off the ground to from the knee. They will either change it to place the ball or leave as is and won’t have it be between two points on the body.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I doubt they will go that route. The initial proposal was changed from up to 1” off the ground to from the knee. They will either change it to place the ball or leave as is and won’t have it be between two points on the body.

In my opinion, placing the ball removes all randomness from the situation, and that simply isn't appropriate.  Nobody deserves to have the most perfect lie available, at least in my opinion.  Increasing the drop height, or allowing a range, defeats the purpose of the rules changes around dropping, which was to limit the distance you could go from the original location.  The limited relief area, the requirement that the ball stay within the relief area, and the height of the drop are all pieces to move towards that goal.  

I don't think the rule needs to be revised, its just not that difficult, and in my experience this year, the lower drop DOES decrease the roll-out.  If anything, I could see raising the height to waist-high, its still lower than before, and able to be done without bending anything.

Oh, the initial proposal was "through the air, as little as 1 inch", so you could have dropped from head high if you like.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

If their decision for the change ever had anything at all to do with pace of play, this is definitely the route they should have taken IMO. Hopefully they will at least make a modification to allow drops from anywhere between knee and shoulder height.

I would think in practice this would have the direct opposite affect of speeding up play. I know when playing and am able to place the ball it takes me longer than a drop would. I am looking for a specific lie with certain conditions depending on the shot. When dropping I will clean up area if any needs to be done but its just drop and go. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 1 month later...

Didn't he do that to show his disapproval after having been penalized for dropping at shoulder height the day or week before?

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

5 minutes ago, wipierce said:

Didn't he do that to show his disapproval after having been penalized for dropping at shoulder height the day or week before?

Yes which was a brain fart because not long before that event he had no problem dropping from the knee at Waste Management 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Yes which was a brain fart because not long before that event he had no problem dropping from the knee at Waste Management 
Most certainly. You could tell he was frustrated when he dropped from shoulder height. I really wish the rules would have read something to the effect of "from knee height or above".

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

33 minutes ago, wipierce said:

Most certainly. You could tell he was frustrated when he dropped from shoulder height. I really wish the rules would have read something to the effect of "from knee height or above".

It’s one of the rules that some sort of zone made sense but on the other hand knowing the rules pertaining to your job should be known. At least the basics like where to drop from

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2019 at 6:38 PM, TWar said:

I saw him messing around with drop and thought it was hilarious!  With all the statues and vanilla-ness out on tour,  Rickie made me laugh. This was a fun poke at the rules.  The rules will soon become 2nd nature.  Hard to change something you have done for the better part of your life.  I do wish it was knee and above or knee to waist.  

Thought that it was funny also.  Do believe that it should be changed to "Between the waist and knee" 

Edited by Albatrass
Left out word

On 5/26/2020 at 9:54 AM, Albatrass said:

Thought that it was funny also.  Do believe that it should be changed to "Between the waist and knee" 

Why would it be changed?  I know I posted some links that outlined the rationale behind the choice for knee-high.  The new rule is just as specific as the old rule (drop from the height of THIS body part).  Allowing the choice of a range of heights will also allow the player to opportunity to game the system a little more than he currently can.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Why would it be changed?  I know I posted some links that outlined the rationale behind the choice for knee-high.  The new rule is just as specific as the old rule (drop from the height of THIS body part).  Allowing the choice of a range of heights will also allow the player to opportunity to game the system a little more than he currently can.

I would change it because some golfers who are handicapped or wear knee braces or just old age can not bend down.  So every time they drop the ball it would violate the rules of golf.  I do not have that problem so I am just looking out for those who are not as fortunate as most of us.  So I would have no problem if the USGA and the R&A at the next quadrennial meeting make the accommodation to drop between the hip and knee for those who want to play golf and enjoy it. 

30 minutes ago, Albatrass said:

I would change it because some golfers who are handicapped or wear knee braces or just old age can not bend down.  So every time they drop the ball it would violate the rules of golf.  I do not have that problem so I am just looking out for those who are not as fortunate as most of us.  So I would have no problem if the USGA and the R&A at the next quadrennial meeting make the accommodation to drop between the hip and knee for those who want to play golf and enjoy it. 

This is already addressed in the Rules, in the section under Modified Rules for Players with Disabilities:

Dropping
In applying Rule 14.3b (Ball Must Be Dropped in Right Way), because physical limitations may make it difficult or impossible for players with certain disabilities to know whether they have dropped the ball from knee height, the Committee should accept the player’s reasonable judgment that he or she has done so. Also, the Committee should accept all reasonable efforts to drop the ball from knee height, taking account of the player’s physical limitations.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Nothin like seeing old topics that have died getting revived.

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nothin like seeing old topics that have died getting revived.

Yeah, I had the same thought, but he's a pretty new member (welcome to MGS), he posted in an old thread instead of starting a new one (a good thing), and it seems reasonable to review the 2019 rule changes after a full year (or a little more) of experience with them.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia