TESTERS WANTED! ×

DQ at Honda for Green Reading Material

cnosil

alex Ceika was DQ'd for having a green reading book that wan't at the appropriate scale.   

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/alex-cejka-is-disqualified-the-first-victim-of-a-new-rule-limiting-scope-of-green-reading-books

Read an interesting comment on another forum.   They can enforce a rule like this, but they won't penalize a player for slow play.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Best part was it was an old book and the greens have all been redone since then so not sure how useful it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Is it wrong that my very first reaction was to double check to make sure I left him on my fantasy bench this week? 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Is it wrong that my very first reaction was to double check to make sure I left him on my fantasy bench this week? 🙂

I had to make sure I didn't have him too.

I do think this should have been a DQ. He broke the rule, and needs to be disciplined for it. It also sets the precedent that this won't be tolerated in the future. Had they let this one go, they couldn't have legitimately enforced the rule in the future.

Good call here. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

17 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Best part was it was an old book and the greens have all been redone since then so not sure how useful it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first year with the new greens. That's hilarious 

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

This is the first year with the new greens. That's hilarious 

So a DQ for being totally incompetent? I can be on board with that.

Full WITB with pictures

Is it wrong that my very first reaction was to double check to make sure I left him on my fantasy bench this week?

Yes, your first thought should have been one of Grace. :)

You and I have no option there my dear brother.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Making sure I understand this...

So Cejka used a dated green reading book, previous years model essentially placing him in a disadvantage...and was disqualified for using it.

Had he been using the current green reading book, he would have been ok?  

EDIT:

I see now that the "scale" is not correct.  Got it. 🤪

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

17 minutes ago, revkev said:

Yes, your first thought should have been one of Grace. 🙂

You and I have no option there my dear brother.

And this is why no one is replacing @revkev as the MGS Forum chaplain, ever. 🙂

Full WITB with pictures

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Making sure I understand this...

So Cejka used a dated green reading book, previous years model essentially placing him in a disadvantage...and was disqualified for using it.

Had he been using the current green reading book, he would have been ok?  

Couldn't that be similar to having the "ultimate" playbook on some college team (football, baseball, basketball, NASCAR...whatever) that you've accrued for a season, but after that season, it becomes automatically moot because everyone has changed affiliations, graduated or whatever...?

IMHO, (and with lots of experience with "stressful" competitions…life &death...literally)  ALL sports competitors worth their salt at the highest levels have to keep "books" on conditions, layout, dangers, advantages...whatever...this is just good preparation and should be commended.They are getting the advantage only because their competitors may lack the dedication it takes to find their own cracks in their fellow players' games and exploit them. This is the way of the world my friends...Dog-eat-Dog...

So WTF did he get DQ'd having an "old" book? No one in NASCAR would DQ a driver or team for having info from last-year's race...they'd just laugh and say "good luck with that" and carry on-especially if the track had changed...and guess what...it always does...golf, car racing, football, whatever. No two competitions are ever alike-even if held at the same time each year...

Bottom line...

Give me a break!!!!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

2 hours ago, GB13 said:

I had to make sure I didn't have him too.

I do think this should have been a DQ. He broke the rule, and needs to be disciplined for it. It also sets the precedent that this won't be tolerated in the future. Had they let this one go, they couldn't have legitimately enforced the rule in the future.

Good call here. 

Like they have with the slow play rule?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have an idea.  Ban Tour players from using books (green or otherwise) during tournament rounds.  
I bet pace of play would improve tremendously!
Counter idea but same pace of play concept, let them use lasers, skycaddies, whatever. It has already happened at all state levels and USGA qualifiers to speed up play. As fascinating as it is to watch BD triangulate numbers I'd rather watch golf shots.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

18 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I have an idea.  Ban Tour players from using books (green or otherwise) during tournament rounds.  

Unless you replace it with some technology (range finder) that keeps them from walking everything off, you won't speed up play by simply eliminating yardage books.  It's bad enough when a guy walks off a 68 yard shot from the pin back to his ball after he waits for everyone else to play...  watching that on everything from 225 in would be horrific.  

I am torn on this because I think from a traditional standpoint, the yardage books are a big part of the game.   Doing the math in your head to get the number, checking for wind, etc....   but I also feel like they really need to address slow play and IMO one of the biggest things they could do would be to allow range finders in tournament rounds.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

2 minutes ago, GSwag said:

I was DQ'd recently.

Being told you have to leave because you took too much from the help yourself hot sauce bar at the Taco Palace does not count as a DQ.  

And yes i agree...  if they wanted to limit hot much you took, then they shouldn't have provided lids for those little cups!!

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Like they have with the slow play rule?

The green reading book rules are Rules of Golf, they enforce those decently, and then blame someone else (the USGA) for the rule.  The slow play rules are written by the PGA Tour (and make it nearly impossible to penalize a player).  I'm not sure they ignore those rules, but they don't want to penalize a player and have to take responsibility for their own rule.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Alex! Take a page from Back to the Future 2 and use a fake cover for your book...problem solved

IMG_3524.JPG

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I agree.  I will not be using one this year and I think the tour guys should be able to use lasers as well.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

....not sure these new rules are winning any friends.  Nothing against them and it is up to player/caddie to know them but whew...every week there is something about the golf rules.  

first time that I can ever remember that the rules have been such a prominently discussed topic.  
*yes, I realized they changed this year, but it has not been smooth- at all.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I think the really bad part is that all this went down on the 14th hole, at least that's the way I read it. Maybe the PGA should think about setting up a TSA-like service where they search players bags before their round to weed out the illegal items. Hey guys I can't come to work today because I brought over 3 fl oz of coffee with me. 🙄

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

1 hour ago, gaussman1 said:

Counter idea but same pace of play concept, let them use lasers, skycaddies, whatever. It has already happened at all state levels and USGA qualifiers to speed up play. As fascinating as it is to watch BD triangulate numbers I'd rather watch golf shots.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1 hour ago, ga_pike said:

Unless you replace it with some technology (range finder) that keeps them from walking everything off, you won't speed up play by simply eliminating yardage books.  It's bad enough when a guy walks off a 68 yard shot from the pin back to his ball after he waits for everyone else to play...  watching that on everything from 225 in would be horrific.  

I am torn on this because I think from a traditional standpoint, the yardage books are a big part of the game.   Doing the math in your head to get the number, checking for wind, etc....   but I also feel like they really need to address slow play and IMO one of the biggest things they could do would be to allow range finders in tournament rounds.  

That's what I get for posting in a hurry while heading into a meeting!  I assumed legalizing rangefinders was understood if books were banned.  We're saying the same thing although, my original post left a little to be desired in that regard!

On a completely unrelated note, the meeting was an hour of my life I will never get back.  Such a waste!  My confidence in humanity is shattered at the moment!

Alex! Take a page from Back to the Future 2 and use a fake cover for your book...problem solved

IMG_3524.JPG.0095de8755f813c23ef50e43d5ce3ca0.JPG

Unfortunately a player called him out when he saw what was behind the cover.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

....not sure these new rules are winning any friends.  Nothing against them and it is up to player/caddie to know them but whew...every week there is something about the golf rules.  

first time that I can ever remember that the rules have been such a prominently discussed topic.  
*yes, I realized they changed this year, but it has not been smooth- at all.

It seems to me that the Rules problems are primarily the fault of the players.  I find it hard to believe that the players aren't aware of the changes, but in some instances that seems to be the case. 

The caddie alignment stuff, I do blame the wording of the rules for the one penalty that was rescinded, but the first one was absolutely an infraction.  A capture from the video is nearly identical to the WRONG illustration in the rules.. 

Rickie's ball rolling into the water, that had nothing to do with the changes to the rules, it was just bad luck.

The backstopping controversy, again, how can someone who is active on social media NOT have heard of the backstopping issue in her sport?  In that case, the rules saved her, it used to be a DQ, and her intention had no influence on whether she had violated the rule.  Now she gets a pass because her stated intention was simply to play quickly.

Rickie's drop was a simply brain fart.  The rule is easy to understand, easy to comply with, whether you like it or not.

Now this one, was he completely oblivious to the change in the rules?   If he was aware, did he simply assume he was OK?  Did he check to make sure his book was in compliance?  Apparently he either didn't know of the change, knew but assumed the old book was still OK, or didn't think he'd be questioned.  Actually, congratulations to Tringale for doing the right thing.  At least one player is protecting the field this year.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I appreciate that this DQ happened as it is the penalty for not following the rule.

I am curious if the enforcement of the rule is selective. Would Justin Thomas have been DQ’d if he was using the incorrect sized greens book? Is the tour just seizing on the opportunity to penalize a relatively non-mainstream player to set an example?

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

56 minutes ago, palvord said:

I appreciate that this DQ happened as it is the penalty for not following the rule.

I am curious if the enforcement of the rule is selective. Would Justin Thomas have been DQ’d if he was using the incorrect sized greens book? Is the tour just seizing on the opportunity to penalize a relatively non-mainstream player to set an example?

I wonder about this also, kinda like the jt caddy issue a few weeks back, almost bet the first slow play penalty will be against a fringe player and not a top 10 player.  At least the USGA managed to get more people talking about the rules than any year I can remember.  Pace of play is a whole other ball of worms, at pga level they need to fix it, like any other sport it trickles down to the amateur level, european tour haas the shot clock masters and personally I like that format.  my .02

8 minutes ago, g-off said:

I wonder about this also, kinda like the jt caddy issue a few weeks back, almost bet the first slow play penalty will be against a fringe player and not a top 10 player.  At least the USGA managed to get more people talking about the rules than any year I can remember.  Pace of play is a whole other ball of worms, at pga level they need to fix it, like any other sport it trickles down to the amateur level, european tour haas the shot clock masters and personally I like that format.  my .02

I think its fair to wonder about preferential treatment, we just have no way of knowing who else is violating some of the rules.  Rickie certainly didn't get preferential treatment for his bad drop, though.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I don't remember seeing green reading books when watching Jack and Arnie playing, but maybe it was because they didn't get the full broadcast treatment that top players get today.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I don't remember seeing green reading books when watching Jack and Arnie playing, but maybe it was because they didn't get the full broadcast treatment that top players get today.

I'm pretty sure Arnie and Jack didn't have access to these.  If they did, they'd have learned to use them.  If I remember right, Jack was one of the first to use a yardage book of any kind.  I think the green maps are a pretty recent development.  I believe its been fueled by some of the computer simulations that can actually compute the path of a ball, if it has enough data.  It is this same type of modelling that started the development of the Aimpoint system.  Its also fueled by very sophisticated surveying and mapping techniques that are fairly recent, its really time consuming to map the greens with traditional methods.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived