TESTERS WANTED! ×

Centrifugal Pump Anyone?

Although I've spent literally 1000's of hours looking at golf biomechanics , the only swing action that has worked for my old inflexible body is something that Shawn Clement termed the 'Centrifugal Pump'. I'm not sure he understands the physics or reasoning behind it but obviously, after so many years in teaching, he has intuitively found a way that seems more natural for some golfers (ie. me) to perform.

Pure rotary type swings , although probably the most efficient in terms of unwasted motion, takes a lot of flexibility and require a steady 'centre of motion' (ie. relatively stable pivot , where the centre of the swing doesn't move 'up/down' and 'side/side').

So here he is demonstrating it , legs extending and squatting causing head to move up and down, pelvic tilt angles not completely stable. But it works for me and I've probably played the best golf in the last 2  years (without too much strain on lower back for some reason).

• 3 years later...
On 3/1/2019 at 4:37 AM, Wildthing said:

Although I've spent literally 1000's of hours looking at golf biomechanics , the only swing action that has worked for my old inflexible body is something that Shawn Clement termed the 'Centrifugal Pump'. I'm not sure he understands the physics or reasoning behind it but obviously, after so many years in teaching, he has intuitively found a way that seems more natural for some golfers (ie. me) to perform.

Pure rotary type swings , although probably the most efficient in terms of unwasted motion, takes a lot of flexibility and require a steady 'centre of motion' (ie. relatively stable pivot , where the centre of the swing doesn't move 'up/down' and 'side/side').

So here he is demonstrating it , legs extending and squatting causing head to move up and down, pelvic tilt angles not completely stable. But it works for me and I've probably played the best golf in the last 2  years (without too much strain on lower back for some reason).

I’d been taking lessons for 2 years and spent over $10K. However I’d only gotten worse and kept having injuries. I decided to take time off because of a thumb injury and back injury. While I was away I discovered Shawn Clement. When I returned to practicing and implementing his teaching (I subscribed to his premium site), I gained an easy 10mph with my swing. It felt so effortless! I used to max out my 7i at 85mph by swinging out of my shoes. After Shawn, I would AVERAGE 95mph with my 7i over the course of a 2 hr practice on a launch monitor. I went from maxing out my driver at 112 mph to averaging 118 during practice.

Unfortunately, my old swing started to come back and while I’ve gained speed and distance, I haven’t been able to replicate that first range session after my layoff. I ended up signing up for video lessons. He’s solved so many things that my coach told me wasn’t an issue. It’s crazy but a lot of the stuff he teaches is the exact opposite of what my coach would say. But Shawn’s methods worked for me. For example, my coach would say keep my grip pressure as light as possible. That DID NOT work and lead to calluses, thumb injuries, and glove holes. Shawn recommends almost strangling the club but using the correct fingers and pressure points. It gave me security that the club would not fly out of my hand and I no longer had the issue of my grip moving around during my swing and my fingers coming off the club at impact. 

I still have a ways to go, currently a 17 handicap, but Shawn has me moving in the right direction. I love being able to generate speed with little effort from my arms. When I feel the swing in my legs and feet I murder the ball. Unfortunately, that sometimes means an unexpected 15-20+ yards of carry😂

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS with Autoflex X-stiff 

3-Wood: :ping-small: 425 Max w/ KBS TD 60

Irons: :taylormade-small:P790 w/ X-stiff True Temper DG 105

Hybrids::taylormade-small: DHY Utility Irons 4 & 5

Wedges::taylormade-small: MG3 w/ KBS Black Wedge Shaft (50, 54,58)

Putter: Cure RX5 w/ P2 React Grip

On 3/1/2019 at 5:37 AM, Wildthing said:

Interesting approach and music to my not so flexible back and restricted shoulder turn. Thanks for sharing! 

2 hours ago, jfull1914 said:

I’d been taking lessons for 2 years and spent over $10K. However I’d only gotten worse and kept having injuries. I decided to take time off because of a thumb injury and back injury. While I was away I discovered Shawn Clement. When I returned to practicing and implementing his teaching (I subscribed to his premium site), I gained an easy 10mph with my swing. It felt so effortless! I used to max out my 7i at 85mph by swinging out of my shoes. After Shawn, I would AVERAGE 95mph with my 7i over the course of a 2 hr practice on a launch monitor. I went from maxing out my driver at 112 mph to averaging 118 during practice.

Unfortunately, my old swing started to come back and while I’ve gained speed and distance, I haven’t been able to replicate that first range session after my layoff. I ended up signing up for video lessons. He’s solved so many things that my coach told me wasn’t an issue. It’s crazy but a lot of the stuff he teaches is the exact opposite of what my coach would say. But Shawn’s methods worked for me. For example, my coach would say keep my grip pressure as light as possible. That DID NOT work and lead to calluses, thumb injuries, and glove holes. Shawn recommends almost strangling the club but using the correct fingers and pressure points. It gave me security that the club would not fly out of my hand and I no longer had the issue of my grip moving around during my swing and my fingers coming off the club at impact. 

I still have a ways to go, currently a 17 handicap, but Shawn has me moving in the right direction. I love being able to generate speed with little effort from my arms. When I feel the swing in my legs and feet I murder the ball. Unfortunately, that sometimes means an unexpected 15-20+ yards of carry😂

It's always interesting hearing about non-traditional approaches to teaching and playing the game. Those are nice ss gains 👍.  I've heard his name before but know nothing about him.  My quick search shows he's out of Quebec, Canada.  I'm curious which on-line training option you chose (PM if you prefer). Thanks

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I started with the premium membership which is $9.99/month. He’s really good about responding to questions in the comments and recommending videos to watch. I recently upgrade to the next level Eagle, $40/mo because I wanted him to review my swing every month. it’s supposed to come with additional content but it looks like the Eagle content hasn’t been updated in a few years. Either way, $40 for a swing analysis is way cheaper than the $200/lesson that my golf facility charges. In fairness to my golf place, it’s where Collin Morikawa and a few other pros train. And everything is expensive in LA

I can tell I’m getting close but I need a little more guidance to eliminate my old swing habits/style. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS with Autoflex X-stiff 

3-Wood: :ping-small: 425 Max w/ KBS TD 60

Irons: :taylormade-small:P790 w/ X-stiff True Temper DG 105

Hybrids::taylormade-small: DHY Utility Irons 4 & 5

Wedges::taylormade-small: MG3 w/ KBS Black Wedge Shaft (50, 54,58)

Putter: Cure RX5 w/ P2 React Grip

7 minutes ago, jfull1914 said:

I started with the premium membership which is $9.99/month. He’s really good about responding to questions in the comments and recommending videos to watch. I recently upgrade to the next level Eagle, $40/mo because I wanted him to review my swing every month. it’s supposed to come with additional content but it looks like the Eagle content hasn’t been updated in a few years. Either way, $40 for a swing analysis is way cheaper than the $200/lesson that my golf facility charges. In fairness to my golf place, it’s where Collin Morikawa and a few other pros train. And everything is expensive in LA

I can tell I’m getting close but I need a little more guidance to eliminate my old swing habits/style. 

The eagle package is the one I was looking at and thinking was a pretty good one for the monthly swing analysis.  Thanks for the response!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)