Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

I'll wager my 16 year old clubs against your shiny new flavor of the week

Mr. 82

So I was having this conversation last night with someone who shall remain anonymous for security purposes, and while he was discussing the potential for a new driver, after he bought one not so long ago that he's only hit like 5 times, and reshafting some irons, and possibly a new wedge, and showing me the new putter he bought, I pulled out the "I'll play my 16 year old set of clubs and still beat you," card.

It is worth consideration.  Taking (legitimate) handicap into consideration, and playing a straight up 18 holes, I think I could best anyone with my set from 2003, versus someone who has the shiniest, fanciest, latest (this week) set of clubs.

And honestly, I just shake my head when some of you talk about going through 4 or 5 sets of irons in a year.  I mean, that's not game improvement to me, that bank account bankruptcy right there.  But I guess it could be worse.  You could be spending all that money on opiods, liquor or hookers, so as far as addictions go, I guess it's much better than the alternative.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Your handicap already factors in whatever disadvantage you'd have from playing 16 year old clubs.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

16 year old clubs huh?  

I didn't realize they made Odyssey Arm Lock style putters 16 years ago.  Just sayin'  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

1 minute ago, ga_pike said:

16 year old clubs huh?  

I didn't realize they made Odyssey Arm Lock style putters 16 years ago.  Just sayin'  

Well, I did buy it used, and it's like 4 years old, so what some sucker dropped $300 on, I got for $89.99 at the discount rack in nearly mint condition.

Bad example anyway, because you know it doesn't matter what I putt with, I'm still missing it anyways.  😁

There are arguments to both sides.  On playing clubs for a long time you know them and trust them.  While the grooves wear over time if the course conditions are right, this might not hurt you (soft course).  But I can tell you that there have been improvements in golf club manufacturing over the last 16 years and those improvements help your game more so than you would think. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

1 minute ago, jacustomgolf said:

There are arguments to both sides.  On playing clubs for a long time you know them and trust them.  While the grooves wear over time if the course conditions are right, this might not hurt you (soft course).  But I can tell you that there have been improvements in golf club manufacturing over the last 16 years and those improvements help your game more so than you would think. 

I probably should have clarified this a bit.  Except for my Callaway 4-wood, my most recent clubs are all about 2 years old or newer.  But I'll be playing that set for at least 5 years before I consider anything to replace them with.

But I've got a Sunday bag with 6 clubs that are all at least 16 years old, and I'll be darned if I don't play better with just the 6 old clubs then I do with the new ones.  If nothing else, it's made me realize that I can work a pitching wedge to any distance inside of 125 yards better then I can with that stupid lob wedge I've got.  I'll chunk that lob wedge occasionally, but I have yet to chunk the choke down half PW shot.

6 minutes ago, GSwag said:

I probably should have clarified this a bit.  Except for my Callaway 4-wood, my most recent clubs are all about 2 years old or newer.  But I'll be playing that set for at least 5 years before I consider anything to replace them with.

But I've got a Sunday bag with 6 clubs that are all at least 16 years old, and I'll be darned if I don't play better with just the 6 old clubs then I do with the new ones.  If nothing else, it's made me realize that I can work a pitching wedge to any distance inside of 125 yards better then I can with that stupid lob wedge I've got.  I'll chunk that lob wedge occasionally, but I have yet to chunk the choke down half PW shot.

I will say this, your 60* is not fitted properly if you are chunking it.  With todays wedge options you can get fit for your course and have clubs that are useful to you in your bag.  I don't agree with changing clubs all the time, but you do need to play clubs that help your game and I bet you would see improvement in your scores with properly fit clubs.  Especially at your level.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

this is very confusing... 16 year old clubs but 2 year old clubs and 5 years and 6 clubs but they aren't played and a putter that is relatively new and something about a pitching wedge... my head is spinning right now.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Y'all don't mind GSwag...  he got kicked out of the Taco Palace for stealing hot sauce last night.  

You better be careful before you make that bet. There are a lot of straight shooting long hitting Indians out there.

They could beat a mid single cap like you or I blindfolded with a stick or with a brand new set of fitted clubs.

I’m glad you like your set. I like mine too. I have to be careful how I spend as well. Don’t begrudge those who have the where withal to regularly purchase new clubs and enjoy doing so - that’s their prerogative.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

51 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

this is very confusing... 16 year old clubs but 2 year old clubs and 5 years and 6 clubs but they aren't played and a putter that is relatively new and something about a pitching wedge... my head is spinning right now.

Don't read too much into it.  This is like the conversation you have with a buddy who is talking smack about how many new clubs they bought, and you are sitting here with older clubs, and then you make that bet after a few Crown Royals one night, and then show up at the first tee, and your buddy drops $100 and says, "let's go."  Meanwhile, you are sober now and you forgot whatever that conversation was the night before.  He ain't confused, but you once again engaged your mouth and inserted your foot.  And in my case, that's a permanent disease.

2 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Don't read too much into it.  This is like the conversation you have with a buddy who is talking smack about how many new clubs they bought, and you are sitting here with older clubs, and then you make that bet after a few Crown Royals one night, and then show up at the first tee, and your buddy drops $100 and says, "let's go."  Meanwhile, you are sober now and you forgot whatever that conversation was the night before.  He ain't confused, but you once again engaged your mouth and inserted your foot.  And in my case, that's a permanent disease.

So basically...  mouth writing checks that your arse can't cash.  🙂  

54 minutes ago, jacustomgolf said:

I will say this, your 60* is not fitted properly if you are chunking it.  With todays wedge options you can get fit for your course and have clubs that are useful to you in your bag.  I don't agree with changing clubs all the time, but you do need to play clubs that help your game and I bet you would see improvement in your scores with properly fit clubs.  Especially at your level.

Well, I don't carry a 60° wedge, but a 58°, but the thought is relatively to the club comparison.  I am usually money with the 58° but there is always that one shot per round that screws me in one way or another.  Essentially, once out of 20 shots I'll chunk it and get pissed.  But like Tin Cup and his 7 iron, "I never miss the pitching wedge."

Beyond all that I'll keep it simple when I say, "it ain't the arrow, it's the indian."

1 minute ago, ga_pike said:

So basically...  mouth writing checks that your arse can't cash.  🙂  

do you still have those ProV1s with "PATRIOTS SUCK" on them?

53 minutes ago, revkev said:

You better be careful before you make that bet. There are a lot of straight shooting long hitting Indians out there.

They could beat a mid single cap like you or I blindfolded with a stick or with a brand new set of fitted clubs.

I’m glad you like your set. I like mine too. I have to be careful how I spend as well. Don’t begrudge those who have the where withal to regularly purchase new clubs and enjoy doing so - that’s their prerogative.

Bingo on every aspect.

i don’t care how anyone chooses to spend or not spend their money. Sometimes new and shiny is nice to have even if no significant improvement is there. Golf is a hobby and everyone should enjoy it however they want 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Bingo on every aspect.

i don’t care how anyone chooses to spend or not spend their money. Sometimes new and shiny is nice to have even if no significant improvement is there. Golf is a hobby and everyone should enjoy it however they want 

I have yet failed once again in the humor department.  😔

47 minutes ago, GSwag said:

do you still have those ProV1s with "PATRIOTS SUCK" on them?

I have some of them...  used and worn.  🙂  There is at least 1 in the drink on #14 at Stone Creek and another one swimming on #18.  But I always keep 1 sleeve of my winnings from you in perfect, unused condition.  

So I was having this conversation last night with someone who shall remain anonymous for security purposes, and while he was discussing the potential for a new driver, after he bought one not so long ago that he's only hit like 5 times, and reshafting some irons, and possibly a new wedge, and showing me the new putter he bought, I pulled out the "I'll play my 16 year old set of clubs and still beat you," card.
It is worth consideration.  Taking (legitimate) handicap into consideration, and playing a straight up 18 holes, I think I could best anyone with my set from 2003, versus someone who has the shiniest, fanciest, latest (this week) set of clubs.
And honestly, I just shake my head when some of you talk about going through 4 or 5 sets of irons in a year.  I mean, that's not game improvement to me, that bank account bankruptcy right there.  But I guess it could be worse.  You could be spending all that money on opiods, liquor or hookers, so as far as addictions go, I guess it's much better than the alternative.
Spending money on addictions is an either/or proposition? Man my pharmacist, liquor store and "massage therapist" are gonna be pissed when I tell them it's golf clubs only this year

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

16 year old clubs.

Those are practically new. 😁

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

1 hour ago, revkev said:

The Rev talking some serious smack... love it!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Let me know when you are in CA and we can test this theory...

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Love that video !!

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*    3-Wd: Taylormade M1-3HL    Hybrid: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 - 18*    Irons: Callaway Apex CF-19 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 50, 56, 58    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider    Ball : Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Spoiler alert:  For a lot of people, buying new clubs and constantly trying new setups is fun and one of the main reasons a lot of people play golf.

Your response seems pretty unprovoked.  Let someone enjoy the game how they enjoy it.  Someone who wants to play each round with a new set of clubs has as much right as someone that wants to play with hickory shafted persimmons.

As with everything there are outliers. My partner that I play four balls with is 53. He has used 2 sets of clubs in his entire life. He played a set of powerbuilts from high school up until about 2007. He now plays Titleist from 2007 and the look like crap. I can't even look at them. They are so beat up it is insane (I'll get a pic next time we play just to humor everyone). But here's the thing, I saw him shoot countless rounds under par with the powerbuilts, in fact he shot 63 with them once. Same thing with the titleist and he shot 60 with them. Yes he can flat out play and those clubs served him well. But I know without a doubt while the numbers may be similar with new clubs the overall consistency he would see would be better with new technology.  

The point is that yes you can play with old clubs and yes they will work. But technology has advanced and will help anyone's game.

There are golfers who chase the unicorn. They will never find it but they do it because it helps them enjoy the game. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I think I see where you are coming from.  I have a buddy who works at a golf shop (he gets free clubs all the time, but buys plenty as well) and he will hit a driver 5 times and decide it's not for him.  He'll go through 4 -5 drivers and iron sets every single year.  I think that's a little bit excessive and get's to the point where you are doing more blaming of the clubs than yourself for a bad swing.  

As you can see below most of my clubs are fairly new to me as well, but I normally am on a 5 - 6 year cycle (Previous irons were 710 AP2's).  I am almost always buying used and I grew up without much of anything so I am a big time deal hunter when I do buy something, whether it's clubs, tees, gloves, apparel, etc.  (Just got 3 FJ sta sof gloves for 33 bucks)

I don't try to judge anyone who enjoys trying out new clubs, being a tinkerer is part of the fun for many.  I don't think they will see any massive improvement by switching equipment before using it 3 years or more.  Clubs have gotten so good these days that a 2014 club is not going to substantially be better than anything out new today.  Just watch some of the Rick Shiels videos where he has the 10 year life cycle of a brand.  Most of it is marginal improvement at best.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Love this post! Been there, done that, just not in the last few days. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, GSwag said:

If you're ever in the UK let me know and I'll take that bet any time 😉

Archived