I'll wager my 16 year old clubs against your shiny new flavor of the week

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, revkev said:

You better be careful before you make that bet. There are a lot of straight shooting long hitting Indians out there.

They could beat a mid single cap like you or I blindfolded with a stick or with a brand new set of fitted clubs.

I’m glad you like your set. I like mine too. I have to be careful how I spend as well. Don’t begrudge those who have the where withal to regularly purchase new clubs and enjoy doing so - that’s their prerogative.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The Rev talking some serious smack... love it!

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Let me know when you are in CA and we can test this theory...

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Love that video !!

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*    3-Wd: Taylormade M1-3HL    Hybrid: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 - 18*    Irons: Callaway Apex CF-19 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 50, 56, 58    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider    Ball : Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Spoiler alert:  For a lot of people, buying new clubs and constantly trying new setups is fun and one of the main reasons a lot of people play golf.

Your response seems pretty unprovoked.  Let someone enjoy the game how they enjoy it.  Someone who wants to play each round with a new set of clubs has as much right as someone that wants to play with hickory shafted persimmons.

• Like 5

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

As with everything there are outliers. My partner that I play four balls with is 53. He has used 2 sets of clubs in his entire life. He played a set of powerbuilts from high school up until about 2007. He now plays Titleist from 2007 and the look like crap. I can't even look at them. They are so beat up it is insane (I'll get a pic next time we play just to humor everyone). But here's the thing, I saw him shoot countless rounds under par with the powerbuilts, in fact he shot 63 with them once. Same thing with the titleist and he shot 60 with them. Yes he can flat out play and those clubs served him well. But I know without a doubt while the numbers may be similar with new clubs the overall consistency he would see would be better with new technology.  

The point is that yes you can play with old clubs and yes they will work. But technology has advanced and will help anyone's game.

There are golfers who chase the unicorn. They will never find it but they do it because it helps them enjoy the game. 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I think I see where you are coming from.  I have a buddy who works at a golf shop (he gets free clubs all the time, but buys plenty as well) and he will hit a driver 5 times and decide it's not for him.  He'll go through 4 -5 drivers and iron sets every single year.  I think that's a little bit excessive and get's to the point where you are doing more blaming of the clubs than yourself for a bad swing.  

As you can see below most of my clubs are fairly new to me as well, but I normally am on a 5 - 6 year cycle (Previous irons were 710 AP2's).  I am almost always buying used and I grew up without much of anything so I am a big time deal hunter when I do buy something, whether it's clubs, tees, gloves, apparel, etc.  (Just got 3 FJ sta sof gloves for 33 bucks)

I don't try to judge anyone who enjoys trying out new clubs, being a tinkerer is part of the fun for many.  I don't think they will see any massive improvement by switching equipment before using it 3 years or more.  Clubs have gotten so good these days that a 2014 club is not going to substantially be better than anything out new today.  Just watch some of the Rick Shiels videos where he has the 10 year life cycle of a brand.  Most of it is marginal improvement at best.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Don't read too much into it.  This is like the conversation you have with a buddy who is talking smack about how many new clubs they bought, and you are sitting here with older clubs, and then you make that bet after a few Crown Royals one night, and then show up at the first tee, and your buddy drops $100 and says, "let's go."  Meanwhile, you are sober now and you forgot whatever that conversation was the night before.  He ain't confused, but you once again engaged your mouth and inserted your foot.  And in my case, that's a permanent disease.

Love this post! Been there, done that, just not in the last few days. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, GSwag said:

So I was having this conversation last night with someone who shall remain anonymous for security purposes, and while he was discussing the potential for a new driver, after he bought one not so long ago that he's only hit like 5 times, and reshafting some irons, and possibly a new wedge, and showing me the new putter he bought, I pulled out the "I'll play my 16 year old set of clubs and still beat you," card.

It is worth consideration.  Taking (legitimate) handicap into consideration, and playing a straight up 18 holes, I think I could best anyone with my set from 2003, versus someone who has the shiniest, fanciest, latest (this week) set of clubs.

And honestly, I just shake my head when some of you talk about going through 4 or 5 sets of irons in a year.  I mean, that's not game improvement to me, that bank account bankruptcy right there.  But I guess it could be worse.  You could be spending all that money on opiods, liquor or hookers, so as far as addictions go, I guess it's much better than the alternative.

If you're ever in the UK let me know and I'll take that bet any time 😉