TESTERS WANTED! ×

Underdog of the driver world

BlackFaldo

Probably the only driver that is looked at funny, like when you pull up to a dinner date at a place with cloth dinner napkins and you’re wearing shorts and a t shirt. The Srixon Z745 is CLEARLY, for the crowd that likes the “traditional” driver look and shape, the unsung hero of the new crop of drivers. Without having a compatible “sister” driver, the Z745 stands alone. 

The options of adjustments to me is perfect. If you have one swing, whether it be...well however it may be, there is an adjustment for you to help improve where the ball could go. I’ve used the same driver off and in for about 10 years. The Cleveland 460 with a V2 shaft, until this sexy beast came along. 

I have always been a piercing flight type of guy so i can get the most out of a missed placed hit in the face. Well...this driver FLIES high and deep! I was shocked and the RPM because of shaft change was shocking and my carry distance was close to my total distance of my previous light saber. 

All I’m saying is....try it! I dare you... 

8AECE55E-4822-4561-BB76-CEA9436902D8.jpeg

22AC7294-BB2D-42FD-8C39-2859A6418579.jpeg

I liked the traditional looks too.  The Z785 (I think you got the number wrong in your post) looks fantastic and Srixon really makes good equipment.  I went with the Z9, but a lot of me and even TrueGolfFit suggested the Z785 with the Project X Black shaft.  Good luck and keep us posted with your results.

Definitely a solid driver. I shopped this club and narrowed it down to this and one other. Due to very similar numbers and a favorable price difference, I went with the other. It's still on my radar though. Great club.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m definitely swinging this when the snow melts. Currently I’m in the market for a 17* hybrid iron and a new putter so it’s not necessarily in the budget but I really want to see this thing in action.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Image1551461901.102012.jpg

Now this is an underdog......

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

25 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Image1551461901.102012.jpg

Now this is an underdog......

But by most reports: an underdog with a loud bark 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

20 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

If you play a soft ball, it's not too bad.  Play a tour ball and it's like riding a Harley... players know you are on the course.  I like it!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If you play a soft ball, it's not too bad.  Play a tour ball and it's like riding a Harley... players know you are on the course.  I like it!!!

If it turns heads, I hope I hit a good shot. To make everyone look at you when you top the ball 40 yards into the lake is embarrassing. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

40 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So I hear (or would hear if I hadn't gone deaf hitting my Cleveland Hi-Bore.😉)

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I don't exactly think this driver is an underdog, maybe I'm missing the joke here. Srixon is a previous most wanted driver winner, and I'm fairly sure they've issued a "try it and your money back" guarantee with this driver. Doesn't spell underdog to me. 

The 585 in most wanted testing seemed like a bomber, low spin and lots of ball speed. Wasn't very accurate or forgiving, but it sure seemed like it had some long bomb potential. The 785 did not really show anything significant in my opinion.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

If it turns heads, I hope I hit a good shot. To make everyone look at you when you top the ball 40 yards into the lake is embarrassing. 

No problem!!  When you top the ball, the Triton doesn't make that sound.  No need to ask how I know.  😉

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I rarely see the Srixon drivers in the store. Of course the big names are paying for the front displays and heavy marketing. Being a lefty, finding one to try out may be even harder. I believe it was ranked really high in the ?2017 Most Wanted driver?. Always worth a try! I'll use a "lower tier" driver if it gives me the most yardage and best accuracy. The scorecard is all that matters at the end of the day. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

On 3/2/2019 at 3:18 AM, newballcoach said:

I don't exactly think this driver is an underdog, maybe I'm missing the joke here. Srixon is a previous most wanted driver winner, and I'm fairly sure they've issued a "try it and your money back" guarantee with this driver. Doesn't spell underdog to me. 

The 585 in most wanted testing seemed like a bomber, low spin and lots of ball speed. Wasn't very accurate or forgiving, but it sure seemed like it had some long bomb potential. The 785 did not really show anything significant in my opinion.

I agree with you there NewBall. Srixon (and Mizuno as well!) drivers from 5 years ago would've been an underdog, but thanks to the Most Wanted testing process I don't think that's the case anymore.

I think that the 2 real dog drivers currently on the market are both AUS$400-450 and they're both from manufacturers you wouldn't necessarily think of as Driver manufacturers - Tour Edge Exotics and Wilson Staff.

In the case of the Exotics EXS, the numbers it produced in testing were not far off the leaders and considering it's about 2/3 the price of an Epic Flash then it's difficult to justify getting the more expensive driver. The main problem for Tour Edge is that there isn't that much advertising for this product (Golf Channel ads maybe?), particularly in Australia where it's only sold in one store here in my home city of Perth. I've hit the EXS in the Tensei Blue X-Stiff on a launch monitor against the PING G400 LST, TM M3 and Titleist TS2, and it was within 0.5mph ball speed of the others and was more accurate. The feel was pretty good as well.

The Wilson Staff D7 driver produced reasonable numbers for a AU$400 driver in testing, and this has been replicated in other Youtube videos by Golf Monthly (for example). I've yet to hit the D7 or any other Wilson Staff clubs though, again due to the lack of distribution - although there are more stores selling Wilson products now then 5-6 years ago.

I think that the whole point of having underdog club manufacturers is that you don't need to have the most expensive and longest driver out there in order to improve your driving game (although the latest Most Wanted winner doesn't help prove this theory). 

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

I don’t think the srixon is an underdog. It has amazing reviews everywhere. The issue is where people can hit. Places like golf galaxy don’t carry srixon so it isn’t easily accessible for a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
I don't think it should be an underdog, but to your point if the retailers aren't carrying it and golfers aren't gaming it it's hard to call it anything else

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Callaway, Titleist, TM, etc have the big names and the deep pockets so their ability to pay for marketing and sponsor nearly everyone on tour saturates the market. There are not a whole lot of tour players playing the Srixon but there SHOULD be if they open their bags to all manufacturers. Play the best clubs, not just a brand. ....But money talks so of course I would play a big name if I got paid to and was winning regardless.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

21 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Callaway, Titleist, TM, etc have the big names and the deep pockets so their ability to pay for marketing and sponsor nearly everyone on tour saturates the market. There are not a whole lot of tour players playing the Srixon but there SHOULD be if they open their bags to all manufacturers. Play the best clubs, not just a brand. ....But money talks so of course I would play a big name if I got paid to and was winning regardless.

I'm pretty sure that Ryan Fox has the new Srixon driver in the bag when he won the ISPS Perth Super 6 event recently.

4 minutes ago, mdumble21 said:

I'm pretty sure that Ryan Fox has the new Srixon driver in the bag when he won the ISPS Perth Super 6 event recently.

Ha i have no clue who that guy is but looks like he can crush the ball a mile (or 1.6km for those outside the USA)! Keith Mitchell used the Mizuno ST190 driver to win the Honda Classic the other week which was the 1st win for a Mizuno in like 19yrs if i saw correctly.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

Pretty sure Srixon would've been in a similar situation before Ryan won.

42 minutes ago, mdumble21 said:

Pretty sure Srixon would've been in a similar situation before Ryan won.

Ryan Fox (Euro tour guy who is a huge bomber) is playing the 785 right now, but most of Srixon's big tour names are not using their driver (I could have sworn Hideki was but he just had that gold shaft in that ugly beaten up Callaway Big Bertha). Seems odd to me, because their drivers do perform so well. 

They are having a bit of a Mizuno issue right now, because everybody loves their irons (their hybrids and utilities are good as well) but nobody seems to be touching their woods/drivers. And not as much hype around 5/785 as there is around the ST-190. 

I am still not sure if they qualify as an underdog. The way I see it, an underdog is somebody with an as good or better product that people don't know about and they should try. I see Srixon as a company with an equal (or perhaps even inferior product) that people know about, test and decide to go another way. Thoughts?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Archived