TESTERS WANTED! ×

how many single/one length players do we have?

g-off

Just curious how many sl players we have on here.  I played sterlings for two years and got fit for edel sls in december, couldnt really find any threads that are ongoing just curious if you've tried it and stayed with it or not?  It has helped me cut down with my club ho'ing ways due to limited choices......so now I am collecting putters..........

I have been playing one length since the F7's came out. My handicap definitely dropped, but thats also me just getting better as I've only been playing a few years. 

This year I'll be getting fit for new irons and I'll still be trying out the F9 one lengths to see how they do in comparison. I also play a one length hybrid which has been awesome. So versatile. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

I gamed the f8 one lengths for about half of last year. I enjoyed them until I hit the Edel one lengths. I’d love to hear your guys thoughts on them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I played Wishon Sterling irons for a little over a year and then was presented with the opportunity to pick up some PXG irons for a great price so I switched.  I played the PXG irons for another year or so but decided I missed the consistency of the single length set so I converted my PXG irons into single length this past Fall.

With the weight screws in the PXG's I was able to get the head weights to all match and since they are forged it was easy to bend the lie angles to all be that of a 7 iron.  So far they've been playing great and I have the best of both worlds.  I've sort of had my eye on the Cobra Forged Tec one length set (the all black heads) and may give those a look when it warms up some more.

My bag is a revolving door!

OG F7 One Length user here, going into Season 3. Really enjoy them. Might be looking at adding F8 4 and 5 irons to my current F7 set, since I don't want to drop the cash on the hybrid and really like hitting the long irons, maybe sliding a 5 wood in the bag as well. The only thing I remember doing with them with was to go a touch softer in the shaft to hit my launch windows in a proper way.

I don't see myself going back to variable length, but if the right testing opportunity came along for me to put them head to head against something else in the market, I'd give it a go!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

18 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

OG F7 One Length user here, going into Season 3. Really enjoy them. Might be looking at adding F8 4 and 5 irons to my current F7 set, since I don't want to drop the cash on the hybrid and really like hitting the long irons, maybe sliding a 5 wood in the bag as well. The only thing I remember doing with them with was to go a touch softer in the shaft to hit my launch windows in a proper way.

I don't see myself going back to variable length, but if the right testing opportunity came along for me to put them head to head against something else in the market, I'd give it a go!

You know, I never even thought about getting some single irons to replace the longer ones. I feel with the F9's I launch the longer irons much better. So maybe instead of new set I can pick up a couple F9s. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

17 minutes ago, patrickleeleep said:

You know, I never even thought about getting some single irons to replace the longer ones. I feel with the F9's I launch the longer irons much better. So maybe instead of new set I can pick up a couple F9s. 

I mean, cobra offers them singlely, $100 for the F8, $115 for F9, $145 in the Forged and $80 in the Max. The one thing you'll need to think about is lie and loft angles and order them custom to fit the rests of your set. Do your spec research, I almost got caught ordering 1 degree up in the F8 long irons even they were already 1 degree up from the original F7!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I haven’t tried the single length irons. Have had a couple people try and trade me a few times with them. I get more and more interested as I think about it. The concept makes sense to me. My question is on the shorter irons (8-pw) don’t you see an increase in swing speed because the club is longer than normal? And then the opposite for the longer (4-5) irons because they are shorter than normal? I feel like my gaps would be weird maybe I’m looking at it wrong though..

I haven’t tried the single length irons. Have had a couple people try and trade me a few times with them. I get more and more interested as I think about it. The concept makes sense to me. My question is on the shorter irons (8-pw) don’t you see an increase in swing speed because the club is longer than normal? And then the opposite for the longer (4-5) irons because they are shorter than normal? I feel like my gaps would be weird maybe I’m looking at it wrong though..

You see an increase in swing speed on 8 thru the wedges and a decrease in swing speed on the 4 and 5 as you suggest. Cobra accounts for this by using hollow cavities in the long irons, cavity backs in the mid irons and blades in the short irons. In addition they have varying hosel lengths, lie angles and offset to tweak ball flight and gapping.

For me the gapping was the best on any clubs I’ve ever owned except for the longer irons. For me it comes down to my lack of swing speed to get the 4 and 5 up in the air. But when I got in a rhythm with those clubs it was like throwing darts at pins. Problem was I rarely got in a rhythm. I’m going to try the F9 single lengths next week and if I can get the long irons up in the air it may be hard for me to pass them up.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Played wishons for two years, also spent time with the forged tec one and f8, went back to wishon and then hit the edels,

for me and my toe miss the edels won out hands down, they are a smaller head and very little offset but they just work, for me they are much more consistent with height and gapping, still need to tweak a couple of clubs but these will be in the bag for a while.

Edited by g-off

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are the irons that I use and I was really happy to see that the guys at TXG seemed to like them.

I know that Matt Blois is a really good ball striker but watching how he was able to hit these clubs and how well they performed for him was encouraging; as he and Ian confirmed - with the right shaft and right loft/lie these are super nice clubs; I'm not sure Matt could have hit many better shots.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I've ended up only playing the F8 OL irons, no metalwoods, much improved.. Bent a One Length Black Utility to 16.5* for a genuine 3 iron / driving iron. Hit that 200m consistently, so looking to drop a couple more spots now. 

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

I tried one length for a while last year. I loved the ease of hitting the long irons. I actually hit them longer than my standard length irons. However in the short irons the extra length really threw off my distance control. I think if given some more time I could have figured them out.

Interesting to see Bryson putting in a set of MB single length irons for Memorial!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

If/when I move on from my current irons, single length will be at the top of my list to try out. As someone who plays on average 20-25 rounds per year, I am all for anything that helps me score better and have more fun out on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

the PW/5i are really the only spots where you notice a difference.... it does take a few rounds to get used to them but it's not a drastic change. I don't even think they make a 4 but I wouldn't recommend it and I know they make a couple wedges below the PW but I wouldn't do it.  That would be too different.  

The simplicity of the 5 iron is very pleasing.

I originally considered the Cobra's but for some of the same reasons they describe in the video above I decided on the Wishon version and am glad I did.  Don't get me wrong - the Cobra's are great - I actually tried the f9 this year - but the ability to customize to a very specific level with the Sterling's is wonderful.

At some point I'll move back to a standard length set but for now I don't have much to complain about.  🙂

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

the PW/5i are really the only spots where you notice a difference.... it does take a few rounds to get used to them but it's not a drastic change. I don't even think they make a 4 but I wouldn't recommend it and I know they make a couple wedges below the PW but I wouldn't do it.  That would be too different.  

The simplicity of the 5 iron is very pleasing.

I originally considered the Cobra's but for some of the same reasons they describe in the video above I decided on the Wishon version and am glad I did.  Don't get me wrong - the Cobra's are great - I actually tried the f9 this year - but the ability to customize to a very specific level with the Sterling's is wonderful.

At some point I'll move back to a standard length set but for now I don't have much to complain about.  🙂

Read a bit about the Sterlings today.  They are releasing a new version in January of 2020 and retiring the current version.  Their philosophy is kind of opposite of Cobra.  Same shaft and same lie angles on Sterlings and Cobra does different shaft weights and lie angles.  Hard to know which is better or who is right.  According to Wishon I have the swing speed to play a 5 iron but my angle of attack suggests I stop at a 6 iron and go to a hybrid for the 5.  Wishon seems to be more open about the limitations than Cobra.  It will be interesting to see what version 2 looks like.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

5 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Read a bit about the Sterlings today.  They are releasing a new version in January of 2020 and retiring the current version.  Their philosophy is kind of opposite of Cobra.  Same shaft and same lie angles on Sterlings and Cobra does different shaft weights and lie angles.  Hard to know which is better or who is right.  According to Wishon I have the swing speed to play a 5 iron but my angle of attack suggests I stop at a 6 iron and go to a hybrid for the 5.  Wishon seems to be more open about the limitations than Cobra.  It will be interesting to see what version 2 looks like.

I'm not sure who builds the Cobra clubs but Tom Wishon is one of the most highly respected club builders in the industry.  I heard an interview with him and he actually plays the Sterlings.  He has posted on WRX multiple times about them.  Good guy that seems to be really honest.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I was selected for the last year's Cobra connect Challenge and opted to go one length for the F8 irons.  It took me a full year to get settled with the one length F8s. The setup was 4-LW but I've since dropped the LW and have the one length SW a my most lofted club.  Funny though, it never dawned upon me to have the fairway woods or driver setup to one length.  I haven't really detected any improvement attributed just to the one length irons.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

i was all in with sterlings until i found a killer deal on the edels, I've hit all of them and really feel the edels and the wishons are leading the pack at this point, two different approaches but both seem to work, it almost seems like cobra is still searching for the answer when wishon and edel have settled on  different approaches to the issue, just interested if they catch on with other oem's or not.

38 minutes ago, g-off said:

i was all in with sterlings until i found a killer deal on the edels, I've hit all of them and really feel the edels and the wishons are leading the pack at this point, two different approaches but both seem to work, it almost seems like cobra is still searching for the answer when wishon and edel have settled on  different approaches to the issue, just interested if they catch on with other oem's or not.

oh yeah...if I could have afforded the Edel's I would have been all-in on those... they were VERY VERY expensive when they were released though.  Cool that you found a deal on them; I also liked their approach to one length and respect Edel as a clubmaker.
https://edelgolf.com/pages/single-length-sls-01-irons

I think - more than anything with these type of clubs - it is absolutely imperative that you get fit for them.  Off the rack is really not an option here and both Edel and Wishon make that pretty clear.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I'm gaming the F9 one lengths in the Cobra Connect Challenge right now. My observations so far as a high handicapper is that they do what they are supposed too, meaning: 

• Length of shaft doesn't effect distance
  • Ball placement is the same on every shot with no negative effects
  • Gapping seems to be correct (limited testing so far to know for sure)

Beyond that I'm not sure what you could ask for as far as OL vs Traditional. They certainly aren't magic sticks, just an equipment based approach to solving the average golfers consistency problem. I do agree that getting fitted is paramount. I swung stock clubs and the standard shaft weighting just did not work for me, it felt like I was swinging kids clubs when I got up into the 4 and 5 iron. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

4 minutes ago, bardle said:

I'm gaming the F9 one lengths in the Cobra Connect Challenge right now. My observations so far as a high handicapper is that they do what they are supposed too, meaning: 

• Length of shaft doesn't effect distance
  • Ball placement is the same on every shot with no negative effects
  • Gapping seems to be correct (limited testing so far to know for sure)

Beyond that I'm not sure what you could ask for as far as OL vs Traditional. They certainly aren't magic sticks, just an equipment based approach to solving the average golfers consistency problem. I do agree that getting fitted is paramount. I swung stock clubs and the standard shaft weighting just did not work for me, it felt like I was swinging kids clubs when I got up into the 4 and 5 iron. 

singleLengthSwing.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

If you really want to have fun go out with a half set of sl irons, I've been playing minimalist 9 clubs since january and having a blast!!!  Stroker I absolutely agree with you about getting fit it will make a huge difference for most people.

The one-length irons intrigue me.  I am seriously considering trying them out via Global Golf's U-Try program.  Also, does anyone out there play a mixed bag?  For example, play standard variable length 8-GW but play one-length 4-7irons since it's the longer irons many amateurs have the most trouble hitting.

I'm hoping to go single length partially when I am able to get a new bag of clubs. I don't plan on playing beyond 6i so I'd be looking at running single length from 6i through GW. As I'm only hitting "full" shots with those clubs, one length seems like a solid choice for them.

I feel like I'd struggle around the greens with a 6 iron length SW and LW so I'm thinking of staying with standard length with those clubs.

Beyond 6 iron, I'd be going into 2-3 hybrids, 1-2 woods, and a driver. I'd consider one length in the hybrids, or some of them until the lofts get too low, but back to variable with the wood(s) and driver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I actually play a 36" 58* along with all the rest of my irons are single length, I have the edel sand wedge but i use that as more of a 10 iron for full swings.  Haven't tried sl woods so I carry driver, 7 wood,9 wood in variable length 4 sl irons, 58*, putter been playing 9 clubs since the beginning of the year and enjoying it.

3 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I'm hoping to go single length partially when I am able to get a new bag of clubs. I don't plan on playing beyond 6i so I'd be looking at running single length from 6i through GW. As I'm only hitting "full" shots with those clubs, one length seems like a solid choice for them.

I feel like I'd struggle around the greens with a 6 iron length SW and LW so I'm thinking of staying with standard length with those clubs.

Beyond 6 iron, I'd be going into 2-3 hybrids, 1-2 woods, and a driver. I'd consider one length in the hybrids, or some of them until the lofts get too low, but back to variable with the wood(s) and driver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sounds like a good plan.

You can base your SL irons off of the 6, 7 or 8... whichever feels best.

Mine are 7i length.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0