TESTERS WANTED! ×

how many single/one length players do we have?

g-off

Yeah, I'd go with 6. It's the club I'm most comfortable hitting anyway so makes sense to go with that length.

Sounds like a good plan.
You can base your SL irons off of the 6, 7 or 8... whichever feels best.
Mine are 7i length.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

6 hours ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

The one-length irons intrigue me.  I am seriously considering trying them out via Global Golf's U-Try program.  Also, does anyone out there play a mixed bag?  For example, play standard variable length 8-GW but play one-length 4-7irons since it's the longer irons many amateurs have the most trouble hitting.

The mixed bag makes a ton of sense to me, for those of us who have played variable-length irons for years and don't like the idea of overly long short irons.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Don't be afraid to try all sl irons, remember you have to give it time and be a little patient, I still occasionally find myself overswinging my 5-6 irons.  Easy swing gets the ball in the air with plenty of stopping power.

• 2 weeks later...

So I signed up for the U-Try 14day trial of the Cobra F9 one-length irons.  Should get them in a couple of days.  I was looking up the specs and I noticed that the lie angle is different for each iron.  I thought that was odd.  I couldn't find any info on why that is.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  Do any of the one-length players out there know why they do that?   Here are the F9 spec from the Cobra website.

F9 One Length Specs.JPG

7 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

So I signed up for the U-Try 14day trial of the Cobra F9 one-length irons.  Should get them in a couple of days.  I was looking up the specs and I noticed that the lie angle is different for each iron.  I thought that was odd.  I couldn't find any info on why that is.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  Do any of the one-length players out there know why they do that?   Here are the F9 spec from the Cobra website.

F9 One Length Specs.JPG

This is probably the best rationale I have found on this subject but it is still a concern I've had myself with these clubs.

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-cobra-f9-speedback-irons/

The comments section at the bottom may be more insightful than the article on this subject.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

31 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

This is probably the best rationale I have found on this subject but it is still a concern I've had myself with these clubs.

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-cobra-f9-speedback-irons/

The comments section at the bottom may be more insightful than the article on this subject.

Read through this and it was really interesting.  I did not think about the club head droop being the prime reason behind this.  Thanks for posting the link.

36 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

Read through this and it was really interesting.  I did not think about the club head droop being the prime reason behind this.  Thanks for posting the link.

My understanding, was that even though clubs were setup to play the same, the average golfer couldn't stop from swinging faster with a 5 iron and show with a PW. 

For a Bryson or a Matt, you set them all the same and adjust as needed as they can take the same swing with every club. But it's hackers couldn't get our mind to swing the same, so they did varying lie to compensate for us. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

My wife plays OL FMax with a OL F8 hybrid, she started golfing 4 years ago, variable length were a real struggle, switching to OL dropped almost a stroke a hole off her score in a week. So for her, amazing. The is noway I will get new irons without trying OL. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

We can now add my wife to the list of one length players.  We ordered her a set of gigagolf single length irons.  Last night we took them to the range for the first time.  She's a fan.  She only plays a few times a month and loved the one set up, one swing.  But then, her old set was over 20 years old.

21 hours ago, alfriday101 said:

We can now add my wife to the list of one length players.  We ordered her a set of gigagolf single length irons.  Last night we took them to the range for the first time.  She's a fan.  She only plays a few times a month and loved the one set up, one swing.  But then, her old set was over 20 years old.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but how was your experience with gigagolf?  Does the stuff seem like its of decent quality?

I've been thinking about single length for quite some time, but lately I've been wondering whether going single lengths in threes might be better.

From LW through to GW, play at SW length.

From PW through to 8i, play at 9i length.

From 7i through to 5i or hybrid, play at 6i length.

Beyond that I think you could still maybe go one length for the next three clubs before getting to driver.

Curious what others think about this.

I have played the Cobra Forged Tec one lengths for about a year loved the accuracy of them but I lost a lot of distance

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

On 6/12/2019 at 3:24 PM, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

I don't mean to derail this thread, but how was your experience with gigagolf?  Does the stuff seem like its of decent quality?

Two years ago I ordered a set of Gigagolf single length irons for myself, as a Florida set.  I bought them during one of their discount sales of used equipment so the set was under $100.  I was fortunate that a used set in my specs showed up on the site.  I played them for three months in the Sunshine State and I play them on short trips when I don't want to carry my gamer set back and forth.  I liked the clubs enough that I ordered my wife a set to try.  

The Gigagolf clubs are fine.  They don't look or play like a very inexpensive set.  I don't use them as my main set because they have a lot of off set and are game improvement to super game improvement clubs.  My main set has been the Forged F7s and then the Edel irons.

The company has been excellent to work with.  The clubs arrived earlier than promised and were in good shape, despite being uses.  I like that you can order the clubs customized for length and lie.  

On new equipment, they have a 30 day play guarantee.  If you don't like them, you can return them for a refund. I have not availed myself of this so I don't know all the details or how easy the process is for returns.  But I bought used, so they must take clubs back.

If you are looking for an inexpensive entry into single length, and you want game improvement irons, Gigagolf is a viable option.    

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Trying to convince myself why one length is not a good idea. 7 and 8 iron are probably the irons i hit the best. 6 iron is ok once in a while. 5 iron, not even sure why i leave it in the bag. 

Going to try them out at some point. I think that if it worked out, I would keep a sand wedge and lob wedge at traditional lengths.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I've been trying out single length since earlier this month when Wedgie very graciously let me borrow one of his sets of Cobra F9s. I'll say that the 8i - GW are absolute weapons, and were right from the get-go. Great height and dispersion, and almost no adjustment period needed for the longer shaft. For me personally, for some reason the 7i down to the 5i have not worked over multiple range sessions and a practice round at a par 3 course. My personal feeling is it's more due to the shafts in this particular set than an issue with them being single length, and I'm going to keep at it with these a bit longer before I send them back to see if I can get them dialed in. If so, single length will be very high on my radar for next season.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Trying to convince myself why one length is not a good idea. 7 and 8 iron are probably the irons i hit the best. 6 iron is ok once in a while. 5 iron, not even sure why i leave it in the bag. 

Going to try them out at some point. I think that if it worked out, I would keep a sand wedge and lob wedge at traditional lengths.

I'm ONE length player via #COBRACONNECT4  SpeedZone baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImageImage

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

16 hours ago, dlow206 said:

One of my friends was similar, he was good with his irons only up to the 6i, anything more than that would give him problems.  When Cobra released the F7 One Length, he jumped on them, got his set with the DGS he was used to playing.

Suddenly, he could hit the 4i and 5i with a fair bit of consistency.  He supplements his set with a couple F6 hybrids above the irons, and he's good.

If not the SL irons, you could also consider Dual Length irons.  Pinhawk has produced a set with this concept (Vertex); the 3i-5i are 5i length, 6i down to wedges are 8i length.  It might help with the trajectory issue some have with the long iron end of the spectrum.

Disclaimer: not affiliated with them, just a customer of Value Golf, who sell them on their site.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 6/17/2019 at 5:14 AM, GeekingGolf said:

I have played the Cobra Forged Tec one lengths for about a year loved the accuracy of them but I lost a lot of distance

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think the big OEMs just can’t create the weighting correctly to go along with the right type of shaft to get it all to work. It’s so precise to get these to work similarly to variable length.... Unless I was a Pro, on-staff with Cobra and could get them to build me a set to my needed specs, I just wouldn’t go that route with a major OEM.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 3/1/2019 at 1:13 PM, 03trdblack said:

I played the PXG irons for another year or so but decided I missed the consistency of the single length set so I converted my PXG irons into single length this past Fall.

Was that Bob Parson I just heard groaning? 😆  

On 3/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, g-off said:

Just curious how many sl players we have on here.  I played sterlings for two years and got fit for edel sls in december, couldnt really find any threads that are ongoing just curious if you've tried it and stayed with it or not?  It has helped me cut down with my club ho'ing ways due to limited choices......so now I am collecting putters..........

Great thread/question.  So I've only recently read about Edel irons and his history of having built BAD's first one-length set.  At $250/iron, that will most certainly limit the number of players trying them.  I'd have to see some jaw dropping LM data to get me to write that check.  The whole one-length approach is intriguing and, on paper, makes sense.  My initial thoughts were that it would take quite some time to switch over from conventional... but most are saying that's not the case.  @daviddvmbeing the most recent example as part of the CCC4 test group.

I plan to ask about this option at my upcoming bag fitting. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'm totally on board with single length but I don't play any single length stuff yet.

My hope is to do a variant of single length with my next set. Something sort of like this.

D

FW

3H - 4i length

4H - 4i length

5i - 4i length

6i - 7i length

7i - 7i length

8i - 7i length

9i - 7i length

PW - PW length

GW - PW length

SW - PW length

LW - PW length

P

My intention is also to go graphite shafts throughout the bag.

3 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I'm totally on board with single length but I don't play any single length stuff yet.

My hope is to do a variant of single length with my next set. Something sort of like this.

D

FW

3H - 4i length

4H - 4i length

5i - 4i length

6i - 7i length

7i - 7i length

8i - 7i length

9i - 7i length

PW - PW length

GW - PW length

SW - PW length

LW - PW length

P

My intention is also to go graphite shafts throughout the bag.

That actually seems like a better approach to me.  There are some downside aspects of the OL shaft, especially if one likes hitting long irons. Perhaps just a shift back to old standard lengths and a smaller increment from top to bottom, or that same starting point with a short/mid/long pairings on length?  Ultimately one would think club fitting and ball flight data would ferret out the best option... but that does not seem to be the case.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Yeah, I think there's definitely a lot of room to explore there. The issue is mainly that it becomes a question of whether OEMs want to go through the hassle of making OL, or OL variant sets, for mass consumption, because it is a different clubhead. You need to match the swingweight that a player wants their standard 7i to be with every club which means adding, in the case of hybrids and long irons, a not insignificant amount of weight, and removing, in shorter irons and wedges, a not insignificant amount of weight. At least, that's how Cobra does things. But if someone comes along like me who wants to do it as a 3L situation, it complicates things a bit, and also if someone was like I like OL but I want to do it at 5i length instead. So I don't think it's going to be a thing too many other companies explore, unless they start losing sales to Cobra, Edel, or Wishon because more people want to do OL.

I'll probably have to go a more "custom" route with a company that can be a bit more free with the ability to manufacture to specific headweights. I think of major OEMs, PXG might be the easiest option with the screw ports, but I think Miura could be an option, at least from an irons and wedges perspective. Artisan Golf would also be fine for the wedges. But it'd be much harder, at least I think it would be, to approach a Ping or Titleist, or TaylorMade and be like, can you make this set for me?

That actually seems like a better approach to me.  There are some downside aspects of the OL shaft, especially if one likes hitting long irons. Perhaps just a shift back to old standard lengths and a smaller increment from top to bottom, or that same starting point with a short/mid/long pairings on length?  Ultimately one would think club fitting and ball flight data would ferret out the best option... but that does not seem to be the case.

I heard an interview with Edel in which he talked about developing his single length irons.  One point really stuck with me.  He said that one of the most important impacts of single length is they have caused a discussion about iron length in general.  He said some golfers fit very well into single length.  Others fit better into two lengths or three lengths, for example, wedges one length, short irons slightly longer and long irons longer still, but shorter than a traditional set.  Some golfers benefit from 1/4 inch progression throughout the set.   

When I was fit for my Edel irons, I ordered the two lowest lofted irons a half inch longer than the rest.  I don't have a five iron.  My set goes from 6 to 4 iron.  I hit the 5 and 4 iron with in a couple of yards of each other.  I picked getting the 4 because my course has a lot of trees and I like the ability to punch it out under low lying branches.  The gapping works out, however.  I have a Cobra 4 and 3 SL Hybrid to round out the set.  

I played the Edel SL wedges and a Cobra 60 degree for a couple of years.  I recently switched to the Edison wedges.  I had no problems with the SL wedges, except that they had 5 degree gaps.  I prefer 4 degree gaps in my wedges.  I ended up adding a wedge so that I have the SL PW and Edison 49, 53 and 57.  I still use the Cobra 60 degree, but plan to get the Edison 61 degree when it becomes available.  I play my wedges +1 inch, so the length difference is minimal.  

In a standard set I would play all irons +1 inch.  I got the SL irons at standard length.  In effect, the standard Edel (and Cobras before that) play at my 8 iron length.  

I'm on the fence on One/Single Length irons.  I feel that I may be too new to golf still to try them, but at the same time, taking out variables may be exactly what I need. I would definitely only ever buy them through a fitting/gapping session and I had arrived at that conclusion even before watching the TXG video just now.  I've seen Rick Shiels videos of the Cobra One Lengths and how his long iron shots went too close to his mid irons and for a long time that was enough to turn me off of the idea.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

No such thing as too new to try Single Length. New golfers are a big part of the target audience of Single Length in the first place.

I'm on the fence on One/Single Length irons.  I feel that I may be too new to golf still to try them, but at the same time, taking out variables may be exactly what I need. I would definitely only ever buy them through a fitting/gapping session and I had arrived at that conclusion even before watching the TXG video just now.  I've seen Rick Shiels videos of the Cobra One Lengths and how his long iron shots went too close to his mid irons and for a long time that was enough to turn me off of the idea.  

5 hours ago, AmishJason said:

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

No such thing as too new to try Single Length. New golfers are a big part of the target audience of Single Length in the first place.

Agree with the Frog, Single Length probably lends itself better to a beginner than someone who's been playing for several decades.  There's an adjustment period for everyone, because they're accustomed to variable length.

I'm of a mind that the Dual Length that's currently offered by Pinhawk (and Value Golf) may be a good fix for the issue many have with the long irons in Single Length.  6 iron down thru the wedges are one length, the 3-5 irons are at 5 iron length.  The 3i is around 18*, one may not need a club that low lofted, and some/many may not even need the 4i.  

On another note, really not fond of the Cobra lofts in SL sets, they've got the same problem most delofted sets have, the long iron gaps often get squeezed to 3*.  If anything, you need them a bit farther apart, due to the absence of increased swingspeed in the long irons.  The Pinhawk SL set addresses this, 4-7 irons are 5* apart.

I'm intrigued by the concept but when I've tried it myself, it hasn't worked as well as playing with my Golden Rams.  And now that I'm likely having to "go graphite," it may be academic.  <shrug>

Sorry, I'm kind of all over the place this morning.  🙂 

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not taking anything someone like Rick Shiels says to heart about a club or set of irons. His game looks NOTHING like mine does, so why would his thoughts on clubs matter to me personally?

As far as being "too new", like the others have said, this is actually the perfect time to move into SL irons if you and a fitter feel they're good for you. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not taking anything someone like Rick Shiels says to heart about a club or set of irons. His game looks NOTHING like mine does, so why would his thoughts on clubs matter to me personally?

As far as being "too new", like the others have said, this is actually the perfect time to move into SL irons if you and a fitter feel they're good for you. 

Rick was one of the first opinions about golf I came across last year.  After I found MGS, I learned what the real opinions in golf were and now I just watch Rick's videos to see new clubs and for the occasional tip about technique. 

I am also curious to try single length just to see how it affects long irons.  I've never been to a fitter, but I know that I can hit a 5 iron well enough and a 4 iron is a viable club for me.  The Pinhawk 3, 4, and 5 irons sound interesting simply because they are the length of a 5 iron.  I have a 3 hybrid that's 18⁰ and an absolute blast to hit off the tee, so a 3 iron would be fun to try, but I suspect I don't have the swing speed for an iron in that loft.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I've been playing for 30 years and committed to single length irons around mid summer this year.  Currently my index has never been lower at 6.3 playing Cobra one length F9 irons.  3 and 4 hybrids and 5-SW in the irons.  I also now carry a driver, 3 wood, 56 degree Cleveland CBX and putter, everything else is at 37.5".  My swing speed with the one length is right at 80 MPH for reference.  Gapping in the irons is better than any set I've ever played despite the various incremental loft changes.  The wedges are deadly accurate on full swings.  I've had 3 rounds with 3 birdies and one round with 4 because I am getting so much closer to the hole.  Usually I'd get one birdie every 3 or 4 rounds.

I now own a set of Edel one length irons and the biggest difference is with the Cobra irons  I have to move the ball around in my stance to get the best results.  Cobra has different offsets and lie angle so that might be why.  With the Edel irons there is no offset and all lie angles are the same and for best results the ball position remains the same throughout.

Right now I prefer the Cobra irons to the Edel mainly because I have spent more time with them and I think they are better for my swing speed.  Every time I play with them I might not score better but I feel like I get more comfortable and learn how to hit them better.  The biggest problem with one length is getting to try them on the course without a major financial commitment because they can take some time to get used to.  

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right