g-off

how many single/one length players do we have?

Our Sponsors

I was selected for the last year's Cobra connect Challenge and opted to go one length for the F8 irons.  It took me a full year to get settled with the one length F8s. The setup was 4-LW but I've since dropped the LW and have the one length SW a my most lofted club.  Funny though, it never dawned upon me to have the fairway woods or driver setup to one length.  I haven't really detected any improvement attributed just to the one length irons.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver:  :cobra-small: F8 10.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: F8 One Length 4-LW with the Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag:  :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Shot Tracking Tour Analytics:Arccos:

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:

i was all in with sterlings until i found a killer deal on the edels, I've hit all of them and really feel the edels and the wishons are leading the pack at this point, two different approaches but both seem to work, it almost seems like cobra is still searching for the answer when wishon and edel have settled on  different approaches to the issue, just interested if they catch on with other oem's or not.

38 minutes ago, g-off said:

i was all in with sterlings until i found a killer deal on the edels, I've hit all of them and really feel the edels and the wishons are leading the pack at this point, two different approaches but both seem to work, it almost seems like cobra is still searching for the answer when wishon and edel have settled on  different approaches to the issue, just interested if they catch on with other oem's or not.

oh yeah...if I could have afforded the Edel's I would have been all-in on those... they were VERY VERY expensive when they were released though.  Cool that you found a deal on them; I also liked their approach to one length and respect Edel as a clubmaker.
https://edelgolf.com/pages/single-length-sls-01-irons

I think - more than anything with these type of clubs - it is absolutely imperative that you get fit for them.  Off the rack is really not an option here and both Edel and Wishon make that pretty clear.

StrokerAce
:titelist-small:  TS3 PX EvenFlow T1100 White  
:cobra-small:  King F7 3/4w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red 
:ping-small:  G410 4-U Project X LZ 6.0
:vokey-small:  SM6 54/58 
:odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Black Ten S
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro 
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130
:Arccos: Caddie

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

I'm gaming the F9 one lengths in the Cobra Connect Challenge right now. My observations so far as a high handicapper is that they do what they are supposed too, meaning: 

• Length of shaft doesn't effect distance
  • Ball placement is the same on every shot with no negative effects
  • Gapping seems to be correct (limited testing so far to know for sure)

Beyond that I'm not sure what you could ask for as far as OL vs Traditional. They certainly aren't magic sticks, just an equipment based approach to solving the average golfers consistency problem. I do agree that getting fitted is paramount. I swung stock clubs and the standard shaft weighting just did not work for me, it felt like I was swinging kids clubs when I got up into the 4 and 5 iron. 

• Like 1

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

4 minutes ago, bardle said:

I'm gaming the F9 one lengths in the Cobra Connect Challenge right now. My observations so far as a high handicapper is that they do what they are supposed too, meaning: 

• Length of shaft doesn't effect distance
  • Ball placement is the same on every shot with no negative effects
  • Gapping seems to be correct (limited testing so far to know for sure)

Beyond that I'm not sure what you could ask for as far as OL vs Traditional. They certainly aren't magic sticks, just an equipment based approach to solving the average golfers consistency problem. I do agree that getting fitted is paramount. I swung stock clubs and the standard shaft weighting just did not work for me, it felt like I was swinging kids clubs when I got up into the 4 and 5 iron. 

singleLengthSwing.jpg

StrokerAce

If you really want to have fun go out with a half set of sl irons, I've been playing minimalist 9 clubs since january and having a blast!!!  Stroker I absolutely agree with you about getting fit it will make a huge difference for most people.

The one-length irons intrigue me.  I am seriously considering trying them out via Global Golf's U-Try program.  Also, does anyone out there play a mixed bag?  For example, play standard variable length 8-GW but play one-length 4-7irons since it's the longer irons many amateurs have the most trouble hitting.

I'm hoping to go single length partially when I am able to get a new bag of clubs. I don't plan on playing beyond 6i so I'd be looking at running single length from 6i through GW. As I'm only hitting "full" shots with those clubs, one length seems like a solid choice for them.

I feel like I'd struggle around the greens with a 6 iron length SW and LW so I'm thinking of staying with standard length with those clubs.

Beyond 6 iron, I'd be going into 2-3 hybrids, 1-2 woods, and a driver. I'd consider one length in the hybrids, or some of them until the lofts get too low, but back to variable with the wood(s) and driver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I actually play a 36" 58* along with all the rest of my irons are single length, I have the edel sand wedge but i use that as more of a 10 iron for full swings.  Haven't tried sl woods so I carry driver, 7 wood,9 wood in variable length 4 sl irons, 58*, putter been playing 9 clubs since the beginning of the year and enjoying it.

3 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I'm hoping to go single length partially when I am able to get a new bag of clubs. I don't plan on playing beyond 6i so I'd be looking at running single length from 6i through GW. As I'm only hitting "full" shots with those clubs, one length seems like a solid choice for them.

I feel like I'd struggle around the greens with a 6 iron length SW and LW so I'm thinking of staying with standard length with those clubs.

Beyond 6 iron, I'd be going into 2-3 hybrids, 1-2 woods, and a driver. I'd consider one length in the hybrids, or some of them until the lofts get too low, but back to variable with the wood(s) and driver.

Sounds like a good plan.

You can base your SL irons off of the 6, 7 or 8... whichever feels best.

Mine are 7i length.

StrokerAce

Yeah, I'd go with 6. It's the club I'm most comfortable hitting anyway so makes sense to go with that length.

Sounds like a good plan.
You can base your SL irons off of the 6, 7 or 8... whichever feels best.
Mine are 7i length.

6 hours ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

The one-length irons intrigue me.  I am seriously considering trying them out via Global Golf's U-Try program.  Also, does anyone out there play a mixed bag?  For example, play standard variable length 8-GW but play one-length 4-7irons since it's the longer irons many amateurs have the most trouble hitting.

The mixed bag makes a ton of sense to me, for those of us who have played variable-length irons for years and don't like the idea of overly long short irons.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Don't be afraid to try all sl irons, remember you have to give it time and be a little patient, I still occasionally find myself overswinging my 5-6 irons.  Easy swing gets the ball in the air with plenty of stopping power.

So I signed up for the U-Try 14day trial of the Cobra F9 one-length irons.  Should get them in a couple of days.  I was looking up the specs and I noticed that the lie angle is different for each iron.  I thought that was odd.  I couldn't find any info on why that is.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  Do any of the one-length players out there know why they do that?   Here are the F9 spec from the Cobra website.

F9 One Length Specs.JPG

7 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

So I signed up for the U-Try 14day trial of the Cobra F9 one-length irons.  Should get them in a couple of days.  I was looking up the specs and I noticed that the lie angle is different for each iron.  I thought that was odd.  I couldn't find any info on why that is.  Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  Do any of the one-length players out there know why they do that?   Here are the F9 spec from the Cobra website.

F9 One Length Specs.JPG

This is probably the best rationale I have found on this subject but it is still a concern I've had myself with these clubs.

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-cobra-f9-speedback-irons/

The comments section at the bottom may be more insightful than the article on this subject.

• Like 1

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 3 hybrid

:cleveland-small: - Launcher HB Turbo 4-P

:cleveland-small: -CBX 48*, 52* and 56*

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

:wilson-small: - Duo Professional

Play Right

31 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

This is probably the best rationale I have found on this subject but it is still a concern I've had myself with these clubs.

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-cobra-f9-speedback-irons/

The comments section at the bottom may be more insightful than the article on this subject.

Read through this and it was really interesting.  I did not think about the club head droop being the prime reason behind this.  Thanks for posting the link.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

Read through this and it was really interesting.  I did not think about the club head droop being the prime reason behind this.  Thanks for posting the link.

My understanding, was that even though clubs were setup to play the same, the average golfer couldn't stop from swinging faster with a 5 iron and show with a PW. 

For a Bryson or a Matt, you set them all the same and adjust as needed as they can take the same swing with every club. But it's hackers couldn't get our mind to swing the same, so they did varying lie to compensate for us. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Hybrids:    :callaway-small: Mavrik 23°

Irons:    :ping-small: i500 5, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 105, stiff

:ping-small: i200 6-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 105, stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 50°

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy Forged 56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

My wife plays OL FMax with a OL F8 hybrid, she started golfing 4 years ago, variable length were a real struggle, switching to OL dropped almost a stroke a hole off her score in a week. So for her, amazing. The is noway I will get new irons without trying OL. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Hybrids:    :callaway-small: Mavrik 23°

Irons:    :ping-small: i500 5, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 105, stiff

:ping-small: i200 6-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus3 105, stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 50°

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy Forged 56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

We can now add my wife to the list of one length players.  We ordered her a set of gigagolf single length irons.  Last night we took them to the range for the first time.  She's a fan.  She only plays a few times a month and loved the one set up, one swing.  But then, her old set was over 20 years old.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, alfriday101 said:

We can now add my wife to the list of one length players.  We ordered her a set of gigagolf single length irons.  Last night we took them to the range for the first time.  She's a fan.  She only plays a few times a month and loved the one set up, one swing.  But then, her old set was over 20 years old.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but how was your experience with gigagolf?  Does the stuff seem like its of decent quality?