Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Adam Schenk 2-stroke penalty & JT/USGA aftermath

STUDque

12 minutes ago, sixcat said:

To be fair, Schwartzel said during his press conference, his group finished 14 minutes behind the group in front.  The PGA Tour sends groupings off in 9 minute intervals.  Therefore, Schwartzel verifies his own group was 5 minutes off-pace!

If every grouping is 5 minutes off the pace in front of them, that's a huge pace of play issue!

I wasn't arguing about the pace of play issue honestly.  I was arguing about Schwartzel conduct in dealing with the slow play warning.  It's the lack of respect for authority that is the overriding theme of all of this honestly.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I think the overriding issue with expecting Jay Monahan to "drop the hammer" is the fact that Jay Monahan, by all appearances, is nothing more than an "empty suit!"   

Then that is a HUGE problem for the PGA Tour, and if what you are saying is in fact, true, then Monahan shouldn't be the Commissioner of the PGA Tour.  With great power comes great responsibility, and currently Monahan isn't doing his job at all.  Not even close to it.

In any company, organization, group of people, you have to have rules, and you have to have discipline and respect for authority.  Currently what I am seeing displayed is total chaos on behalf of the players.  And if nothing is done to stop it, this will not end well for anyone.

22 minutes ago, sixcat said:

To be fair, Schwartzel said during his press conference, his group finished 14 minutes behind the group in front.  The PGA Tour sends groupings off in 9 minute intervals.  Therefore, Schwartzel verifies his own group was 5 minutes off-pace!

If every grouping is 5 minutes off the pace in front of them, that's a huge pace of play issue!

He explained that each group was behind in front of them. Behind what isn’t quite clear or why. Even with the pace of play concern the event finished “early”

To be put on the clock on 18 tee with as Schwarztel stated the group behind them not pushing them and on pace with the groups in front is somewhat idiotic. If they were truly behind pace it should have been addressed before 18 tee.

10 minutes ago, GSwag said:

He can question it in a professional manner.  From what I've read, Schwartzel was yelling at the rules official.  That's conduct unbecoming of a professional golfer IMHO.  Disagree, absolutely, and have a reasoned conversation about it.  Blow up like TNT, no.

We don’t know what transpired before the camera caught their conversation or what the rules official said. It’s possibld the rules official was acting unbecoming. Not saying 2 wrongs make a right. You are judging a person based on optics and perception and not context 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He explained that each group was behind in front of them. Behind what isn’t quite clear or why. Even with the pace of play concern the event finished “early”

To be put on the clock on 18 tee with as Schwarztel stated the group behind them not pushing them and on pace with the groups in front is somewhat idiotic. If they were truly behind pace it should have been addressed before 18 tee.

For Scwartzel's group to be put on the clock means they were issued a warning (or multiple warnings).  PGA Tour policy states warning(s) are issued before groupings are placed on the clock.  Because it happened on #18 is irrelevant.  They received a bad time after being warned and placed on the clock.

Kudos to that rules official!

22 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Then that is a HUGE problem for the PGA Tour, and if what you are saying is in fact, true, then Monahan shouldn't be the Commissioner of the PGA Tour.  With great power comes great responsibility, and currently Monahan isn't doing his job at all.  Not even close to it.

In any company, organization, group of people, you have to have rules, and you have to have discipline and respect for authority.  Currently what I am seeing displayed is total chaos on behalf of the players.  And if nothing is done to stop it, this will not end well for anyone.

I have no base in fact that Monahan is what I perceive him to be.  I just get the distinct impression, he doesn't have much of a backbone.  Maybe I'm wrong but given the level of public back-and-forth between players and USGA officials, doesn't scream "leadership" from the commissioners office.

3 minutes ago, sixcat said:

For Scwartzel's group to be put on the clock means they were issued a warning (or multiple warnings).  PGA Tour policy states warning(s) are issued before groupings are placed on the clock.  Because it happened on #18 is irrelevant.  They received a bad time after being warned and placed on the clock.

Kudos to that rules official!

Schwartzel said they were told they were being timed. I don’t know if the tour considers that being on the clock after previous warnings of of that is considered a warning.  Based on his comments it doesn’t seem they were previously warned so in that case yes being told on 18 is idiotic 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

I went back and watched the press conference.  You're right, JT seems to contradict himself a few times, especially in relation to the series of Tweets.

I was going to bring this up. I thought he seemed very contradictory in his interview.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Schwartzel said they were told they were being timed. I don’t know if the tour considers that being on the clock after previous warnings of of that is considered a warning.  Based on his comments it doesn’t seem they were previously warned so in that case yes being told on 18 is idiotic 

Again, it's irrelevant where it happens on the golf course.  The rule states "at any time during the round."  Hole #18 is during the round.  Try using the excuse "but officer, we're in front of my house" next time you get a speeding ticket and tell me how well that goes over!

Agree to disagree!

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is from the Pace of Play policy for the previous year's PGA Tour Handbook

:https://qualifying.pgatourhq.com/static-assets/uploads/2017-18_pga_tour_handbookregs_final.pdf

When the Rules Committee determines that a group or an individual out of position will be timed, all players in the group, or the specific individual, will be informed they are being timed. Such timing could occur on any hole, including the finishing holes of a round, and as soon as the next hole after a warning has been given.

I'd say enforcement should occur when the behavior warrants it.  If the group behind was far enough behind, not necessarily true simply because they were "not pushing", then the other group should have been on the clock too.  Many players can be a bit two-faced on pace of play stuff.  They want the policy enforced, but not on themselves.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

This is a really, really, really, bad look for the USGA:

I'm not really on anyone's side in this mess, but you absolutely can't call a player out publicly and be wrong with your facts.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'm not really on anyone's side in this mess, but you absolutely can't call a player out publicly and be wrong with your facts.

Yeah, that's not a good look. And they wonder why most golfers don't give them the light of day. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

29 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Agreed, but it makes JT's behavior in the interview seem even stranger.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I wonder if this was a calculated move to start to defuse some of the tension.  A corresponding move might be Thomas taking a step back, and saying that contrary to his previous statements, most of the new rules are just fine.  Then they can start to have some nice private discussions and work out some kind of peace.  Monahan's statement kind of puts Justin and Rickie and the other vocal twitterers in a bit of a corner, now the USGA threw a bone to them.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'll just state what I have said multiple times in multiple places...

NOTHING GOOD COMES FROM TWITTER!!!!  NOTHING!!!!

Justin, do what Rory did a few years ago, and stop looking at twitter, and don't engage it.

USGA - you are for all intents and purposes - DEAD TO ME!!!  You don't go on twitter and publicly lie about a PGA Tour pro, and expect anyone to give you any credibility going forward.  I am going to assume anything you say going forward is not true.  Someone needs to be fired from the USGA for this mess!!!

Everyone needs to take a step back from twitter and ignore it, and don't engage it anymore.  Players need to stop doing interviews about the rules, or the USGA or whatever.  If you have issues, speak to the PGA Tour officials about it, and keep your bitching in house.  While I am sure the likes of Alan Shipnuck are thrilled with all of this public bickering and nonsense, this just needs to stop, period.

@GSwag You seem to be enjoying the font editor. That’s wonderful.

Now stop all the oversized yelling or I’ll put together a case accusing you of conduct unbecoming a Spy (half joking)...

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Archived