TESTERS WANTED! ×

Graphite Design Tour IZ vs

I'm in the market for a new driver shaft. After weeks of research, I believe this shaft is the best one for me. My problem is that it's incredibly expensive so I'm looking for alternatives. Something with similar specs but more reasonably priced. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Why do you think it is best for you?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Why do you think it is best for you?
I currently use the Callaway BBA dbd, set in 10* using the KURO KAGE SILVER TINI 60 stiff shaft My ball speed sits between 157-166mph. I have a negative AOA. From the research I've done, I need to get my launch angle up and my spin rate around 2500. Right now my average launch angle sits around 8-9*. If I can get my launch angle up a couple of degrees and lower my high spin rate (currently around 3600) I can add more yardage. I believe this shaft is a step in the right direction but it's way more than I can afford.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

I'm in the market for a new driver shaft. After weeks of research, I believe this shaft is the best one for me. My problem is that it's incredibly expensive so I'm looking for alternatives. Something with similar specs but more reasonably priced. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

There is a company that does tons of business with incredible positive feedback on EBay. I wrote them asking for recommendations and they sent me a list at several different price points. This list included options based on the swing characteristics and variables I presented. Each shaft they recommended I researched. I must say they were spot on. Super fast shipping as well.

Dallasgolf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

1 hour ago, mbrodeur86 said:

I currently use the Callaway BBA dbd, set in 10* using the KURO KAGE SILVER TINI 60 stiff shaft My ball speed sits between 157-166mph. I have a negative AOA. From the research I've done, I need to get my launch angle up and my spin rate around 2500. Right now my average launch angle sits around 8-9*. If I can get my launch angle up a couple of degrees and lower my high spin rate (currently around 3600) I can add more yardage. I believe this shaft is a step in the right direction but it's way more than I can afford.

You need to change your aoa to a positive one. A shaft alone isn’t going to reduce spin by a lot or help with aoa. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Loft the club up and change aoa to see if you can bring the spin down, both of those should help. Shaft could help but won’t bring it down 1100 RPMs.

How efficiently are you hitting the ball? Do you have swing speed or efficiency rating?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You need to change your aoa to a positive one. A shaft alone isn’t going to reduce spin by a lot or help with aoa. 
I would and have tried to fix my AOA for maybe 10 years now. I'm tired of trying to do so plus everyone says to "swing your swing" so really, which one is it? I swing this way and no matter what I've tried I can't. One thing I can do is change my equipment to compensate for my faults. So this is why I'm asking if there's alternatives

Loft the club up and change aoa to see if you can bring the spin down, both of those should help. Shaft could help but won’t bring it down 1100 RPMs.

How efficiently are you hitting the ball? Do you have swing speed or efficiency rating?
Swing speed is somewhere around the 108-112 mark. Don't have the efficiency rating.

17 minutes ago, mbrodeur86 said:

I would and have tried to fix my AOA for maybe 10 years now. I'm tired of trying to do so plus everyone says to "swing your swing" so really, which one is it? I swing this way and no matter what I've tried I can't. One thing I can do is change my equipment to compensate for my faults. So this is why I'm asking if there's alternatives

There’s swing your swing in that there are lots of ways to skin a cat and not create a pretty swing that doesn’t optimize results.

have you taken lessons to try and fix the swing?

theres no magic club or shaft that’s going fix swing faults. While companies like to advertise high launch/low spin there’s nothing that’s going to significantly reduce spin and add launch. The differences in launch are going to a few degrees at most and a few hundred rpm.

Having a negative aoa is going to increase spin compare to s neutral it positive aoa and a lower launch.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Swing speed is somewhere around the 108-112 mark. Don't have the efficiency rating.

If we take 110 as your average, perfect efficiency gets you 165 ball speed. So you are hitting the ball almost optimally and transferring the energy to the ball.

You can be successful with a negative angle if attack but you didn’t specify how much down you are.

I don’t personally think the shaft is your answer. Either lift up or get a newer low spin head.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I really like this shaft as well, but ended up with a different on at a recent fitting.  I've also found that I had a negative AoA, but found I made a few errors.  For me, the ball was not as far forward on my driver with my stance as I thought it was and I would tee the ball lower than what was correct.  By just moving these small things I was able to assist with my AoA.  

With all that said, I have similar swing speed to you and I've always done the best with tip stiff shafts.  If you haven't tried the Aldila Rogue 125, those can be found for much cheaper.  Also the Proforce V2 is always a good option.  If interested the shaft I was fit into can be found below in my signature and it's very stable.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

One thing to note is that the Kuro Kage Silver TiNi is not a counterbalanced shaft, so if you switch to an AD-IZ, you’re going to have a feel difference. I had the same Kuro Kage shaft, 70X, in last year’s Mizuno driver and it felt VERY head-heavy. A counterbalanced shaft won’t. Anyway. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 3/4/2019 at 10:03 AM, mbrodeur86 said:

As others have said, a shaft alone won't fix your problem but it may help.  The only thing that will fix your launch angle is lofting up (which will increase spin) or swinging to at least a flat AoA.  A drill that really helped me was placing a second ball on the ground about 6" in front of a teed ball.  Also, where do you place the ball in your stance with the driver?  I always thought I was on the inside of my heel, but video showed I was about 2" towards the center from my heel.  Moved the ball to my heel and it became much easier to hit the driver with a flat to + AoA.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

As others have said, a shaft alone won't fix your problem but it may help.  The only thing that will fix your launch angle is lofting up (which will increase spin) or swinging to at least a flat AoA.  A drill that really helped me was placing a second ball on the ground about 6" in front of a teed ball.  Also, where do you place the ball in your stance with the driver?  I always thought I was on the inside of my heel, but video showed I was about 2" towards the center from my heel.  Moved the ball to my heel and it became much easier to hit the driver with a flat to + AoA.
I've tried moving the ball up to a point where it was literally in front of my left foot and still came down on it lol

But seriously, a shaft can lower spin rate somewhat. I've seen enough videos to show this.

I actually was recommended the Cobra f8+ or Mizuno ST180 for a driver head and the Accra TZ6M4 for a shaft by a club fitter online (of course he had the same numbers I gave you all here and never saw me swing) so in his opinion he figured this might be a good combo.

I'm also debating going into x stiff. I've heard and seen good things with people putting up similar numbers to me and doing this. Even the truefit system recommended the Titleist 917 D3 with Aldila Rogue M*ax 65 in X-stiff.

Lastly, and believe me when I say this, I would love nothing more than to go see a fitter and get fit. There is literally NO ONE anywhere close to where I live that does this. I really pay attention to my swing, get as much information as I can and study hard all aspects of clubs that would be good for me. No one knows how much I love this. If I could, I would make it a career. In my corner of the world, it wouldn't work.

I do appreciate everyone's input here. If you have any other information/opinions I definitely read everything you post and appreciate it.

I read on the golfshaftreview.info website the following, "... From a profile perspective these are two entirely different designs. However this search lead me to the Graphite Design YS-Six Reloaded, a $100 shaft that from a profile perspective a dead match to the IZ." 

My bag is a revolving door!

What ball  were you hitting during your testing? If it's that chrome soft they spin quite a bit. Might look also at replacing that. Food for thought. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I might be making the switch to TP5x. Even though I want to get that spin rate down I do not want to sacrifice spin on the greens.

I'm considering the TP5x because it actually feels great and had loads of distance. Plus, I actually got my 1st hole in one testing one out lol. 4 iron from 202 yards (I was on an HD golf machine but it still counts lol)

What ball  were you hitting during your testing? If it's that chrome soft they spin quite a bit. Might look also at replacing that. Food for thought. 

I read on the golfshaftreview.info website the following, "... From a profile perspective these are two entirely different designs. However this search lead me to the Graphite Design YS-Six Reloaded, a $100 shaft that from a profile perspective a dead match to the IZ." 

Dude, you just gave me my homework for the weekend lol. I've literally never heard of this site so I'm going to be researching there. God I just love this forum! It's great to be back!

Are you opposed to a used pull instead of buying a new one?  I'm weary of ebay, but I usually end up finding what I'm looking for between here and the classified section over on golfwrx

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm the king of used equipment lol. That's all I use. I can't afford to buy new it's 2 expensive and add the fees and balls and clothes .... It never stops so yes I would buy used in a heartbeat.

Are you opposed to a used pull instead of buying a new one?  I'm weary of ebay, but I usually end up finding what I'm looking for between here and the classified section over on golfwrx

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this thread is still active/relevant but I have found Tour AD shafts to be WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Are the expensive? Sure. But so is PXG and plenty of other golf equipment. That being said, these are not one size fits all. I highly recommend being fitted.

When I saw my guy at PGA SS (Scott Swords in TX), I saw him multiple times over multiples sessions. I hit new heads with new shafts, new shafts with my existing head, different lofts, different weight settings, EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN.

What was the result? He did not push me to buy a new driver head and shaft all-together, but simply recommend this shaft because of the MASSIVE spike in ball speed, carry and reduced dispersion.

For my 2017 TaylorMade M2 I was hitting the Tour AD IZ 7x the best.

When hitting the Titleist TS2 (when considered buying a new head) I was hitting the Tour AD DI 7x the best. 

Both were incredible feel.

We found they were performing slightly different from each other based on the head. But all in all, I'm now carrying 280-290, whereas before, when I was in the wrong shaft for my swing, I was around 255 carry.

Incredible quality, high price, but worth the penny if it yields the gains you are looking for. 

Hope this helps.

-ACE

Driver: :taylormade-small: M6 with Graphite Design TourAD IZ 7x

3W: :titelist-small: TS2 15.75° with Tensei AV Blue 65s

3H: :titelist-small: TS2 19° with Tensei AV Blue 70s 

4i-PW, AW: :ping-small: i210 with KBS 130x

Wedges: :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7 55°, 60° (M-grind, 8° bounce)

Putter: :cameron-small: 2019 Phantom X7

Archived