Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The Next Step - Goal for 2019

How do I get to the next level? Last year my two goals were cut my handicap in half and have solid finishes in local amateur events. I accomplished both of these things, cutting my handicap to 3.9 (lowest 2.7) and out of 7 tournaments only one finish in the bottom half.

I used to have lots of mental maturity issues with tournament play, but I've also spent time focusing on keeping the emotions in check. Playing with friends and family was fun, but in a tournament I would put much pressure on myself and not break 100. Now while an 80 may not be my potential it has shown a huge step forward from only a few years prior.

This year I want to keep lowering my handicap to scratch and at least place in some tournaments, if not win one. How to I go from pretty good to elite? I play a pretty solid home course- 6600 yards, 125 slope. Average 270 off the tee, just under 40% GIR, and 30 putts per round. I'm 34 and play 3-4 times a week with a short game practice session. I only go to the range when something goes haywire. The worst thing is the weather in my area of Ohio has been terrible since mid-October so I've barely touched a club in that time.

Thanks for reading and I'm open to almost any suggestion (that isn't move south)

TL;DR how do I go from 4 hcp to scratch and win tournaments?

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

"TL;DR how do I go from 4 hcp to scratch and win tournaments?"

Winning tournaments is the easy answer. You win tournaments not by trying to win tournaments but by playing within yourself and one shot at a time. You don't win by wanting to win or trying to win. Those are counterproductive desires when playing. Play each shot as best you can and play the shot you should be trying to play.

The hard answer is going from 4 to scratch. At this level it's about a multitude of factors- consistent ball striking, penalty avoidance, a large short game repertoire, dependable putting, distance off the tee and birdies per round. You can't throw shots away and unless you make tons of birdies you just can't afford very many mistakes to play at scratch.

TLDR answer? Make more birdies than bogeys.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

"TL;DR how do I go from 4 hcp to scratch and win tournaments?"

Winning tournaments is the easy answer. You win tournaments not by trying to win tournaments but by playing within yourself and one shot at a time. You don't win by wanting to win or trying to win. Those are counterproductive desires when playing. Play each shot as best you can and play the shot you should be trying to play.

The hard answer is going from 4 to scratch. At this level it's about a multitude of factors- consistent ball striking, penalty avoidance, a large short game repertoire, dependable putting, distance off the tee and birdies per round. You can't throw shots away and unless you make tons of birdies you just can't afford very many mistakes to play at scratch.

TLDR answer? Make more birdies than bogeys.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wow, that blows me away! That makes so much sense to change my approach to tournament play. It's seems simple, but like most things with golf I bet it's not.

It's understandable that lowering the numbers will be very incremental and as long as I can move my hcp in the right direction it will be a good year.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Archived