GolfSpy STUDque

M&F TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Take the Wilson D7 Challenge

Just now, bardle said:

Looks like they added a bunch of events since this thread went up. Previously there were none in my entire state, but I checked again and now there are several. I RSVP'd for this thursday, I'll edit this post with my review once I get it all together. 

Oh nice!  We need to keep this thread front and center and make sure more people keep checking for the updated events.  I purchased a set for my son over the weekend along with a D7 driver for him.  He stole the Wilson balls I was given and wants a Wilson bag.  Thinks he's a Wilson Staffer I guess.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Oh nice!  We need to keep this thread front and center and make sure more people keep checking for the updated events.  I purchased a set for my son over the weekend along with a D7 driver for him.  He stole the Wilson balls I was given and wants a Wilson bag.  Thinks he's a Wilson Staffer I guess.

Nice! Can't beat the price. I'm pumped to hit them. I'm currently gaming clubs made 6 years ago, but they are basically powerbats. I'm super curious to see if there are any distance gains. I don't need it but some better accuracy with the same distance would sure be nice. 

• Like 1

@Wedgie Thanks for the post on how the challenge went for you, great pictures and write-up. Just curious, do you think you'll purchase these D7 irons...or, have you thought about trying those ReCoil shafts in your Launchers...I think that would be for an interesting comparison. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

@Wedgie Thanks for the post on how the challenge went for you, great pictures and write-up. Just curious, do you think you'll purchase these D7 irons...or, have you thought about trying those ReCoil shafts in your Launchers...I think that would be for an interesting comparison. 

I purchased the D7s for my son and I think I will take them out a few times in the real world prior to potentially making a purchase for myself.  But yes, I have thought about the Recoils in my Launchers and it would be interesting to see if I see the same gains.  Problem is there is nowhere close to me that I'm aware of that I can make that happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wedgie said:

I purchased the D7s for my son and I think I will take them out a few times in the real world prior to potentially making a purchase for myself.  But yes, I have thought about the Recoils in my Launchers and it would be interesting to see if I see the same gains.  Problem is there is nowhere close to me that I'm aware of that I can make that happen.

Have you tried Spargo?  They're in Cranston and just reshafted @GolfSpy Barbajo D7 irons.  They might be able to reshaft your launchers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Have you tried Spargo?  They're in Cranston and just reshafted @GolfSpy Barbajo D7 irons.  They might be able to reshaft your launchers.

+1 on Spargo's - they're in Warwick in the basement of Mulligan's Island. The shop itself is very modest but they have a first rate enclosed fitting facility - you hit out to the range rather than hitting into a screen, which helps a ton. Talk with Steve Colletta, tell him I sent you - he's one of the best. 

• Like 3

Just now, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I visit Spargo more than my home and I'm sure they can do it but for now I'm going to take a whack or two with my sons set.

• Like 1

Just now, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

+1 on Spargo's - they're in Warwick in the basement of Mulligan's Island. The shop itself is very modest but they have a first rate enclosed fitting facility - you hit out to the range rather than hitting into a screen, which helps a ton. Talk with Steve Colletta, tell him I sent you - he's one of the best. 

Yep, Steve is great.  He has been modifying my graphite Launchers to try to help with more centered contact.  He does excellent work and I have all my club work done there.  I like dealing with him more than I did Mr. Spargo himself, much more personable.

1 minute ago, Wedgie said:

Yep, Steve is great.  He has been modifying my graphite Launchers to try to help with more centered contact.  He does excellent work and I have all my club work done there.  I like dealing with him more than I did Mr. Spargo himself, much more personable.

I had my one and only iron fitting done there; it was with the young kid in February the day after it snowed 8-10 inches.  The bay was freezing cold and I couldn't see the ball in the air.  I really need to go back.

33 minutes ago, ninetails said:

It seems like you can't customize the D7 irons?  

D7 irons are not listed in:

https://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/custom

All their recent irons are listed except the D7. 

Can't order them with the desired lie angle?  👎

Hmm this is interesting. I'll make a note to ask the fitter on Thursday what the deal is. 

It seems like you can't customize the D7 irons?  
D7 irons are not listed in:
https://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/custom
All their recent irons are listed except the D7. 
Can't order them with the desired lie angle?  

The site isn’t up to date. I hit different lie angles the other day and you can customize on TGW if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

The site isn’t up to date. I hit different lie angles the other day and you can customize on TGW if needed.

Well that takes care of that...

4 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Gotcha.  Thanks for sharing this.

Signed up for Saturday @ PGA Tour Superstore.  Stoked!

I'll bring my C300 7i, my JPX 825 6i (it's shorter length than the c300 7i!), maybe a Cobra MB 6i for fun 🙂

• Like 1

Hey gang...

Just FYI - wilson is updating their demo day schedule.  Yesterday there were no events in Mass and today there are multiple scheduled.

Keep on checking on it!

http://www.wilson.com/events/golf/en-us/schedule/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Hey gang...

Just FYI - wilson is updating their demo day schedule.  Yesterday there were no events in Mass and today there are multiple scheduled.

Keep on checking on it!

http://www.wilson.com/events/golf/en-us/schedule/

Hah, NJ lost its 2nd event in May!!

I rsvp'd for tomorrow at noon at PGA Superstore. Cant  wait to try these clubs since I just got the ok from the wife that I can buy a new set😀. These are definetly near the top of my list. Ill post some pics and words tomorrow!

• Like 3

1. Bradley - 25 Handicap

2. March 15th - PGA Superstore in Kennesaw, GA

3. i just got back from the demo a few hours ago. I had a 12:30 at the local PGA Superstore

superstore.jpg.5d04b36edd277df6e69897ff41bff8b7.jpg

The fitter was a really cool guy, I told him a bit about my game and the fact that I was going through a swing change so to bear with me.

My current iron set is an older set of Taylormade Rocketbladez. They are game improvement distance clubs from 4ish years ago. I was very curious to see what improvement there would be, if any with the D7. I hit a couple to warm up and then a few more to get an average. We settled at 165, some better strikes were around 175 but that average felt okay and is typically what I'd play on the course. I also hitting mine mostly left which is fairly typical right now with the swing change I'm working on. 

The fitter handed me the D7 7 iron with a KBS Tour 80. First swing was a chunky and carried 170. I was very exclamatory with the fitter that I wasnt sure how that happened. I set up for the next one and striped it for a carry of 190!!! That was the longest of the day, but after the chunk, no shot went less than 180 yds. The majority settled right around a carry of 186 with multiple shots around 190.

He was very forthcoming about the jacked lofts on the D7 and he even looked up my current set on his phone to find out the difference between lofts which turned out to be 1.5º weaker than the D7. he said that probably accounts for 5 of the 20! yds of added carry and the rest is all the new technology. Overall I was very impressed. I don't beleive they were truly any more forgiving than my current gamers as far as left to right but the distance was longer on mishits. The only thing I did not like is the look at address, they are very chunky compared to my current clubs at setup. 

wsdemoday.jpg.132b1904eb69fbe1f1bd318da9e3c202.jpg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, bardle said:

1. Bradley - 25 Handicap

2. March 15th - PGA Superstore in Kennesaw, GA

3. i just got back from the demo a few hours ago. I had a 12:30 at the local PGA Superstore

superstore.jpg.5d04b36edd277df6e69897ff41bff8b7.jpg

The fitter was a really cool guy, I told him a bit about my game and the fact that I was going through a swing change so to bear with me.

My current iron set is an older set of Taylormade Rocketbladez. They are game improvement distance clubs from 4ish years ago. I was very curious to see what improvement there would be, if any with the D7. I hit a couple to warm up and then a few more to get an average. We settled at 165, some better strikes were around 175 but that average felt okay and is typically what I'd play on the course. I also hitting mine mostly left which is fairly typical right now with the swing change I'm working on. 

The fitter handed me the D7 7 iron with a KBS Tour 80. First swing was a chunky and carried 170. I was very exclamatory with the fitter that I wasnt sure how that happened. I set up for the next one and striped it for a carry of 190!!! That was the longest of the day, but after the chunk, no shot went less than 180 yds. The majority settled right around a carry of 186 with multiple shots around 190.

He was very forthcoming about the jacked lofts on the D7 and he even looked up my current set on his phone to find out the difference between lofts which turned out to be 1.5º weaker than the D7. he said that probably accounts for 5 of the 20! yds of added carry and the rest is all the new technology. Overall I was very impressed. I don't beleive they were truly any more forgiving than my current gamers as far as left to right but the distance was longer on mishits. The only thing I did not like is the look at address, they are very chunky compared to my current clubs at setup. 

wsdemoday.jpg.132b1904eb69fbe1f1bd318da9e3c202.jpg

Great write up and pics!

How many shots did you hit with the d7?

Was the chunkiness related to the fact that you could see the back of the club at address or was the topline too thick?  Or something else?