GolfSpy STUDque

M&F TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Take the Wilson D7 Challenge

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Great write up and pics!

How many shots did you hit with the d7?

Was the chunkiness related to the fact that you could see the back of the club at address or was the topline too thick?  Or something else?

I probably hit 15-20 with the 7 iron. I only chunked it once and it was the first shot. It did feel a little clunky at setup to me, I'm not sure if that had an adverse effect on my striking or not though. I actually thinned more than I chunked, but that was only a couple as well and the thinned ones went just as far but were low. 

The topline actually isnt very thick at all compared to my gamers, I'd say they are about the same but the bottom of the club sticks out behind the topline at address which threw me off as my current ones don't do that at all. maybe just slightly on my 4 iron. 

• Like 1

2112716262_thumbnail(3).jpg.8d40c46e1fc1e1a9159e92d13027f1d1.jpg

1. Steve- 17 Handicap

2. March 15th- PGA Superstore, Vernon Hills, Illinois

3. Always love walking into the PGA Superstore (or any golf store for that matter!) . Reminds me of how I felt walking into a candy store when I was young, Pure Excitement!!! I talked to the Wilson Staff Rep Tom who was super nice! He gave me a quick intro on the Wilson D7 irons and explained how these game improvement irons provide greater distance.

Currently I am playing with a set of Adams Idea a2 irons. I've had these these for at least 6 years and am ready to get a new set. My usual distance for a 7 iron is 130-140 yds range. I took a few swings with my 7 iron and that information was displayed on the screen. My last 3 swings averaged 137 yds.

2073110911_thumbnail(1).jpg.ed0b95d24980f2dac9c35adf5deb37ea.jpg

I then took a few swings with the Wilson D7 7 iron and after a few hits my last 3 came in at an average of 146 yds.

325530593_thumbnail(2).jpg.e139aa5d0b2df25cb05905a48706e062.jpg

Overall I really liked these clubs. The distance was impressive and I liked how the club looked behind the ball. Impressive too is that the pricepoint is affordable for me. Currently looking at 3 different sets of clubs all in the same price range and this will help me make a decision on which set to get.    

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Doug Smith, 19 Hcp

3/16  PGA Tour Superstore,  Paramus, NJ

I brought my Wilson C300 7i for comparison.  Bill, the Wilson Northeast Territory manager, was very friendly.  I brought a friend who had not signed up.  Bill stayed past the close of the event to let him take the challenge.   The bay was tracking with a Foresight GC-Quad.  

I did not bring my A-game. I was having a frustrating time with my swing.  I only hit one good shot of the 3 he logged with my C300.   I was averaging about 138-144 carry, rolling out to about 150yds, but I had a lot of mishits and contact did not feel solid often.   My C300 ball speed was about 99-101mph.  At the end, I had the highest ball speed (104), carry, and total with the D7.  My best shot carried 4 yards farther than the C300.  

I noticed the sole of the D7 is massive, even in comparison to the C300.  You notice it sticking out of the back for sure.  I don't know if this was visual trickery, but it also felt like a heavier swing weight.  Anyway, I imagine that gets the CG much lower and behind the face for forgiveness and higher launch.  Despite the protruding sole, the D7 still looked decent at address.  The face at address looks more traditional than my C300 (which has a massive face that is shaped slightly different) but it is still game improvement size.  The offset was not so abrupt that it bothered me.    

My most solid feeling shot, to me, came afterwards when I tried all the available comparison irons, which I struck with a Ping G410.  It produced a higher shot with only minimal fade, though it fell into my average of about 140 carry.   In my opinion, to really know which iron produced more distance, accuracy, etc, would require hours and multiple range visits.  

Dave hit much farther than me, he has pretty good form in comparison.  He had more mishits but his good shots were averaging high 160s carry, one shot went 195 total.  In all he gained 5yds in comparison to an M5 iron.  That is all they had in lefty.  

I have yet to have a good experience hitting anything indoors.  But I still enjoyed it!  I would really love to have a shot at these on some nicely manicured fairways at my home course.  I would especially love to put them toe to toe with my C300s.  

Since initially writing this, I discovered I have been hitting almost every shot with a bias towards the toe, in conjunction with an outside-in or OTT swing path.   Just spending time working on center strikes, and not worrying about swing path at all, has improved my ball flight trememdously.   

With that said, the numbers may not be lying.  I had a terrible time hitting the ball, and the D7 still moved it out there a couple more yards than my C300.    

Screenshot_20190316-172627_Slow motion editor.jpg

20190316_140106.jpg

20190316_144129_3.gif

Edited by knightsofnii
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

John, 24

April 18, Charlotte
Literary masterpiece is HERE

4/18 Leatherman's Golf Center, Charlotte, NC

First things first, Leatherman's Golf is a top notch facility.  If you are ever in the Charlotte area and need golf equipment or to hit some balls, do yourself a favor and stop here; absolutely great place to go.  Now onto your regularly scheduled program:

6DCB7542-1C1D-452F-B898-988E93B38BE5.thumb.jpeg.c4fd444348d494227ba528e6e1404776.jpeg

I set an "appointment" for 3pm to try the D7 challenge, my thought was get there early so there won't be a lot of people fighting for spots (I was wrong).  I arrived at 2:50, changed shoes and grabbed my 6 and 7 irons (Nike Vapor Speed 28* & 32*).  Walked down past the adjacent PING booth and was greeted by Jeff Curtis, the sales rep for NC and VA.  Spoke quickly, showed him my current irons (insert joke about "old" banger irons) told him how far I hit my current irons and he handed me a D7 with a stiff flex KBS Tour 90. No mention of a scheduled time, just show up and hit.  

There were a good number of people all vying for time in the five range bays reserved for PING and Wilson and taking up time with the reps.  I really was hoping for a little more focused time, but that wasn't to be at 3pm, strangely.  I did get a chance to talk to Jeff after the crowd died down and he is a very knowledgeable guy and was great help.  I enjoyed my time talking with him, especially about the current Wilson Staff line.  Jeff loves working with Wilson, and I am glad they have some guys that love the line and love Wilson golf out representing their product.

<----THE GOOD STUFF----> 
*Jeff had a launch monitor but because of minor logistical problems, could not get it running at Leatherman's.  Sorry, no cold hard data in this report.

The D7 irons are, subjectively, a good looking iron.  Wilson has thinned the top line a little bit and they do look appealing. However, you can see how wide the sole is at address, they are just BIG.  But the performance is absolutely there.  The ball absolutely rockets off  almost the entire face, shanks notwithstanding (sorry Alan).

04B18A69-C24E-4C58-9F73-32DC924CFB8B.thumb.jpeg.49d8e34eaae7ebbcc1b8432500009b78.jpeg

B311CE55-658D-4C79-AC84-847F9E9CBE9B.thumb.jpeg.09f76fe69c0ff157da87baa9596f2005.jpeg

Because of an exceptionally bad ball striking day, even by my standards, I found this out first hand.  In other words, you do not have to hit the sweet spot to get distance with these. By the eye test, carry distance was about 20 yards longer than my Vapor Speed 7 iron and 5 or so yards longer than my 6 iron with a light fade.  However the trajectory of the D7 was equivalent to about my 5 iron in the Vapor Speed, even after switching into a KBS Tour 90 Reg flex shaft.  Because of the trajectory I cannot see the D7s holding greens nearly as well as my Vapors, and I can imagine the D7 having big gapping problems.  The feedback wasn't quite as clear as with the Vapors.  I really couldn't tell what part of the clubface was being struck.  Toes and heels both felt very similarly to flushing one in the middle of the clubface.  Great for forgiveness, but I still can't tell you where I hit each ball.  The KBS Tour shafts and I didn't get along either.  I am going to blame that on a bad swing.  But going back and hitting my Vapors again (TT Dynalite), no problem.  Next time I will be sure to take time to try other shafts to see what has a chance of providing a better comparison.

36D1EE6C-380C-4D39-8B42-A94FA81A83E4.thumb.jpeg.7680e609ceafc971deb46bb345ef7a05.jpeg

Back to the positives:  Overall this was a great experience.  The D7 is looking like it is going to be a heck of an iron for Wilson.  Good looking irons with very strong lofts, the tech in the D7s make them very easy to get into the air and hit a LONG way.  Move aside TMag, there is a new distance champ in town.

BONUS:

01AB9D18-DED9-4F55-9A10-09C1CF3CDC23.thumb.jpeg.f6bd8f0cfef0d0937380f0c68d0369d5.jpeg

• Like 7

Just an FYI for those in Maryland, the following sites will have Wilson demo days..

Compass Pointe April 21 3-7

Arundel golf park (probably will have it as it's their all vendor demo day) April 17 3-9

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, artful_golfer said:

So excited! I have signed up to travel to Houston on March 30 for the Wilson D7 Challenge at Marti Golf Center. None of the challenge locations are close to me so I chose a day my husband can go with me. He gave up his regular Saturday golf game to accompany me! Actually we both did. I'm sure we'll make a day of it in Houston - family, Whole Foods shopping, P.F Chang! - make the round of all the things that are at least 2.5 - 3 hours distance from us. My husband loves the irons in his bag but I hope he will be able to try few hits also. I'd like his opinion.

At the next meeting for my club's LGA I want to be able to tell the ladies all about it and encourage them to sign up for the challenge also.

Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes.

Your husband is a better man than I.  Enjoy the Challenge and good luck!  I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how it goes and what you think of them.

• Like 1

Stephen Cunningham - handicap 10. 
3-15-2019 Madison Golf Center, Madison AL. 
I play once a week and prefer a muscle back or small cavity back style club. My current irons are Nike VR Forged Pro Combos. I attended the Demo Day at Madison Golf center to try the Wilson clubs for the purpose of writing this review.
I think I am a decent ball striker and the D7 irons are not something that I would purchase for myself but I was interested to see how the technology has changed over the years in the game improvement irons.

I have to say that I am impressed. The Wilson representative at the demo day said that they designed the club specifically to be very forgiving and to perform the same no matter where you hit it on the face. This club does exactly that.  I purposefully tried to hit several balls on the heel, toe, thin and fat. The balls looked like they all had similar flight and distance seemed pretty close. The biggest surprise was that every shot felt almost identical. It was very interesting to hit the ball poorly and have it feel like it was ok shot. To be a game improvement iron, it really didn't look bad either. The rep said I should also see an increase in distance over my current irons. I hit at that range frequently and I don't think I was hitting them any further than I hit my nikes but again, even poor shots traveled well down the range.  I would encourage anyone looking for a GI iron to give these a try.

The biggest surprise to me of the demo day was the Wilson Cortex Driver. The cortex driver looked great and felt great! They didn't have a trackman so I don't know what numbers I was getting with it but the launch and spin looked they might be good and distance seemed ok. Again, just eyeballing down the range. 

IMG_20190315_111419__01.jpg

IMG_20190315_111711__01.jpg

IMG_20190315_112604__01.jpg

IMG_20190315_112621__01.jpg

IMG_20190315_112639__01.jpg

• Like 8

If you haven't checked in a while, a bunch of new dates have been added. @MattF and I will be going to the demo in Akron this Sunday morning. Watch this space to see how the D7 compares to our Bridgestones.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2019 at 3:33 PM, MDGolfHacker said:

Just an FYI for those in Maryland, the following sites will have Wilson demo days..

Compass Pointe April 21 3-7

Arundel golf park (probably will have it as it's their all vendor demo day) April 17 3-9

MDGolfHacker

This was what I was waiting for.  Just signed up for a spot at Arundel Golf.  Thanks for this post.

Edited by ninetails

On 3/25/2019 at 8:35 AM, MaxEntropy said:

If you haven't checked in a while, a bunch of new dates have been added. @MattF and I will be going to the demo in Akron this Sunday morning. Watch this space to see how the D7 compares to our Bridgestones.

@MattF we expect your report to be written in "proper" queen's English.

@MaxEntropy, yours we'll actually be able to understand. 

Have fun boys!  Looking forward to reading about your experience!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

@MattF we expect your report to be written in "proper" queen's English.

@MaxEntropy, yours we'll actually be able to understand. 

Have fun boys!  Looking forward to reading about your experience!

Well, at least my spelling will be correct!!

• Haha 2

So excited! I have signed up to travel to Houston on March 30 for the Wilson D7 Challenge at Marti Golf Center. None of the challenge locations are close to me so I chose a day my husband can go with me. He gave up his regular Saturday golf game to accompany me! Actually we both did. I'm sure we'll make a day of it in Houston - family, Whole Foods shopping, P.F Chang! - make the round of all the things that are at least 2.5 - 3 hours distance from us. My husband loves the irons in his bag but I hope he will be able to try few hits also. I'd like his opinion.
At the next meeting for my club's LGA I want to be able to tell the ladies all about it and encourage them to sign up for the challenge also.
Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes.

Yea! Just arrived for my appointment to try out the D7s. Anyone have questions you would like for me to ask the Wilson rep?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

Got this email last night.

Good Evening,

I am emailing you to inform you that there was an error with our scheduling system and there is no longer a D7 Challenge Event at Foxy’s Golf Store tomorrow. Please click HERE for a link to the updated events page to find an event near you. I am sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate your support.

Thank you,

Ciaran Conroy

Marketing - Golf

WILSON SPORTING GOODS CO.

I've rebooked for next Sunday at Windmill Golf Centre in Macedonia.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, MattF said:

Got this email last night.

I've rebooked for next Sunday at Windmill Golf Centre in Macedonia.

I didn't get the email so I'm glad @MattF texted me this morning. Signed up for next Sunday as well. 

• Like 2

The Chicago location is not accurate unless the event is in a cemetery. 

image.thumb.png.5c411f392ba081479e66fcc6bd269cfe.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Putt4eagle said:

The Chicago location is not accurate unless the event is in a cemetery. 

image.thumb.png.5c411f392ba081479e66fcc6bd269cfe.png

Maybe I should come up there because that's where my game belongs at the moment!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Two. More. Weeks.  Let's go.  I hope the Wilson rep doesn't forget to bring some lefty sticks 😆

• Like 1