GolfSpy STUDque

M&F TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Take the Wilson D7 Challenge

This looks like a great opportunity.  Good luck everyone

I went to the demo day at the Cranston Golfers Warehouse today. I got there before any of the reps showed up so was screwing around. I thought I’d try the D7s again and boy was I flushing them. I think several rounds under my belt with lighter graphite shafts in my gamers made me much more comfortable with the Recoil shafts in these. The Launchers maybe in trouble!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls...let me tell you a story.

Not really. 😁

On Sunday @MaxEntropy and I journeyed out to Windmill Golf Centre in Macedonia to take the D7 challenge and it was interesting for me.

I warmed up with my Tour B JGR 7 iron for a bit then started with the D7...hitting pulls every single time. Then they tried me in the C300, then the C300 forged, stll no bueno. My Bridgestone just out performed them all.

Here's a couple of pics. The first is my best Tour B JGR. Next is my best Wilson...not sure what flavour is was though.

I then took the D7 driver for a spin and just could not hit it worth a damn against my new M5. So, I grabbed a Cortex with a Even Flow Black S shaft and I have to say, it was pretty solid and about 2 yards longer than the M5. The third pic is the Cortex and the fourth is the M5. I'm actually now going to buy an Even Flow Black 65g with a TM adapter for the M5 and see what I can get out of it.

Max sent me video of me hitting driver, but I want you guys to hold down your food...🤣

wilson d7.jpg

wilson d7 2.jpg

wilson d7 3.jpg

wilson d7 4.jpg

• Like 6

@MattF and I went to Windmill Golf Center in Macedonia, OH yesterday (4/7/18) to take the D7 Challenge - apparently he was finishing up his thoughts as I started typing....

My name is Blake and according to The Grint, my current unofficial handicap is a 17.

The rep for Ohio is a guy named Dave Bavender - he seemed like a really good guy, but I suspect lacks a bit of knowledge on the fitting side or maybe it was more because there were time constraints as every time slot was booked for the event. More on that later.

After warming up with my JGR HF2 7 iron and establishing a baseline, I was hitting my 7 iron around 150 - 160 depending on the strike. My max with it was right around 161.

Dave then gave me a D7 with a KBS Tour 80 (stiff) for comparison. The club felt very nice, perhaps a little harsher feeling than the Bridgestone, but not at all bad. Ball flight was nice and high and pretty straight when i put a decent swing on it. The best I was able to do with the D7 was around 173 (that's +12 yards for those that might be mathematically challenged). Comment on the shaft: Dave picked the KBS Tour 80 based on the fact it was closest he had to the Modus3 Tour 105's that are in my Bridgestones. I made the comment to him (a couple times) that I was not fitted for that shaft, so it may not be optimized for me, hoping he would try a few different shafts to see if anything was any better. I didn't push the issue because I knew I was already running into Matt's time slot and knew if we started chasing shafts it would get worse. Even as we moved to the driver, he kept giving me clubs with lighter shafts, even though I have suspicions I need something towards the heavier side to try to lower launch/spin.

MVIMG_20190407_100837.jpg.676c9fb47e1c0a66adc51d8957c8055d.jpg

MVIMG_20190407_100935.jpg.f12fab4f5dd22e5a25169232cf3c2f45.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of the D7 next to my Bridgestone for comparison.

20190407_101038.thumb.jpg.389a713627364b48923c4138994a7b7c.jpg

1524328095_20190407_1044521.thumb.jpg.90bf6b73c6b2dc6cee29c5192965a1b6.jpg

I prefer the satin finish over the polished look. Other than that and the differences in badging, the designs are fairly similar, although the D7 has a bit more mass in the sole, which is visible at address, but I don't find it at all offensive.

After hitting my driver (Bridgestone Tour B JGR with a Recoil 460) for baseline, I hit a D7 with a Helium shaft and a Cortex with an Even Flow Blue. From a feel perspective, I much preferred the heavier head of the Cortex. Performance? They were all about the same with very high launch and high spin, although there were a couple swings that had decent spin/launch. To me, it highlighted the fact that I need a lesson focusing on my driver and perhaps a real fitting to find the best head/shaft combo to get my spin down.

This was the first time I had attended any kind of a demo and I enjoyed myself. Srixon/Cleveland, Ping, and Mizuno were also there (maybe one other I can't recall?). It's a shame they were all equally busy, because it would have been nice to spend some time hitting some of the others, too.

Matt took a few pics mid-swing. Here are a couple:

MVIMG_20190407_100537.jpg.22d7fdcfd8b91654352e92422a0de32e.jpg

MVIMG_20190407_100601.jpg.3e2ea1f1518f40e74e4474b1a695cc9e.jpg

• Like 8

It just so happens that not only is my D7 challenge on what is obviously a Wilson demo day, but also a Ping demo day.  Lets hope it keeps getting better!  Also, well done @MattF and @MaxEntropy

• Like 2

for those wondering, the loft on the 7i is 28 degrees... (my 7i is 31 degrees and my 6i is 27)
if you google 'standard iron lofts' you might be surprised...

image.png

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 10:18 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

So I'm not eligible to win but thought it would be fun to take the challenge.

I just noticed this....

Why aren't you eligible? Just curious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I just noticed this....

Why aren't you eligible? Just curious.

...I'm a staff member.

Just now, GolfSpy Stroker said:

...I'm a staff member.

This is a Wilson contest though.

1 minute ago, MaxEntropy said:

This is a Wilson contest though.

yeah...I'm eligible to win the prize from Wilson but not for being selected to be a tester through MGS.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

for those wondering, the loft on the 7i is 28 degrees... (my 7i is 31 degrees and my 6i is 27)

image.png

Very interesting. I believe my 7 iron is 31 degrees, too.

• Like 1

Just now, GolfSpy Stroker said:

yeah...I'm eligible to win the prize from Wilson but not for being selected to be a tester through MGS.

Gotcha, thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

image.png

Whoa. These are pretty much a whole club stronger than my Vapor Speeds 😳

3 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Whoa. These are pretty much a whole club stronger than my Vapor Speeds 😳

Since you have that knowledge going in to your test, when they tell you to grab your 7, you should grab your 6 and see if they notice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Since you have that knowledge going in to your test, when they tell you to grab your 7, you should grab your 6 and see if they notice. 

I have been thinking about that.  To make matters "fair" the Vapors all have longer shafts than the D7s per loft and actual stamped iron number.  Interesting to see how Nike's next to last distance iron compares to Wilson's.  I may take both a 6 and a 7 iron in to see where the Wilson fits compared to them both. 

Edit:  I noticed something rather interesting between the two sets.  In a direct stamp on the bottom of the club comparison, the 7 iron has the greatest disparity in loft between the two sets.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 4:45 PM, MaxEntropy said:

That is why I brought my Mizuno JPX 825 6i along.   It is probably 1 or 2 deg stronger than the D7, but its shaft is actually shorter. 

I didn't get the chance to compare those though due to time.  

• Like 1

I went to Edwin Watts on April 8 to test the Wilson D7.  I was supposed to go on April 5 but was out of state for a family funeral.  So I missed the formal challenge.  However, the fitter at EW gave me a solid hour trying out the D7.  The Fitter asked why I was interested in the D7, to which I replied that I wanted a higher launch.  First, I warmed up with my Cobra F8 7 iron with Recoil shaft, then took control of the D7 setup with the Recoil shaft.  The Fitter noticed immediately that I was pulling the D7, so he put me on a lie board and noticed I was striking closer to the toe.  He said that will cause the ball flight to pull.  He then put me back in my Cobra and pointed out that I was hitting the Cobra both straighter and higher.  The Fitter then put me in a TMAG M6 then a Mizuno 919.  Finally, I finished with my Cobra F8.

He then said, I can't sell you anything because I hit the Cobra higher and straighter.  Overall, it was a solid hour of trying different clubs.  The fitter was very good at his job asking questions and listening to my responses.  I will most definitely go back to this gentleman when looking for new irons.

• Like 6

Today is the day!  Do you folks have any questions or anything in particular you would like to see from my review of the D7 challenge??

• Like 4

I signed up for the two week trial of the D7 irons and have been hitting them the last week or so.  They sent a 5, 7, and PW.  I will say that once you get used to them, they are very easy to hit and very forgiving.  The ball seems to go and go no matter how well you strike them.  One thing that was very hard to get over was the feel.  Whether you hit it flush or off the toe, there was not much difference in terms of feel or sound.  It was very hard to tell like you normally would whether you had just hit a nice pure strike or whether it was a mishit.  Obviously these clubs are marketed towards high handicappers who are mostly worried about hitting it straight and far which is what they do.  For those looking for a little more feel out of their cavity back irons, these are not the ones.  In terms of straight looks, there is quite a visible bulge staring at you when you look down from address.  Of course the results are what matter, however some will not be able to get over the visual look.  

• Like 5