GolfSpy STUDque

M&F TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Take the Wilson D7 Challenge

Today is the day!  Do you folks have any questions or anything in particular you would like to see from my review of the D7 challenge??

I’m really curious to hear your thoughts on these. I honestly didn’t love them at first but keep going back to hit them and like them more and more each time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Finally got to hit the D7 rocket launchers.  And here is the post!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I’m really curious to hear your thoughts on these. I honestly didn’t love them at first but keep going back to hit them and like them more and more each time.

I didn't hit them as much as I would have liked and had an exceptionally poor ball striking day, so I didn't quite fall in love with them.  However they were very nice, and I did like them.

But, I just can't wrap my head around a 28* 7 iron. I hit the ball pretty high as is and even with the new tech, I didn't see the D7's getting up to the height of the Vapors (6 or 7). Not sure if that is a shaft mismatch or just the design of the hollow body Vapors and the fact that the lofts aren't the same.  I hit a couple of fades with the D7s and even those weren't climbing like the Nikes.  Could they replace the Nikes?  I don't know.  But after today it would be a hard fight, the Nike's were shining and reminded me why I like them so much.

• Like 4

Good luck to everyone! Can't wait to see what you guys think. Love that Wilson is back in the game,, love the quality irons my dream set is the V6 forged.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 2:03 PM, Wedgie said:

Did you hit any other Wilson irons besides the D7?

• Like 1

Did you hit any other Wilson irons besides the D7?

I did not hit any other Wilson clubs. I used to game the Wilson Di11 Irons so have a history with them. The short irons in that set were the most accurate I have ever played so if I can hit the longer irons in these and get close in accuracy I may bite on them. I have hit some of their “C” control clubs in the past without much success.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GolfDorkette said:

My Name is Louise and my hdcp is 8.5.  I signed up for the Wilson D7 Challenge at Edwin Watts Golf in Fort Worth, TX.  Despite having an email confirmation from Wilson Golf for my appointment at 2:00 on April 18th, I arrived and there was no Wilson rep nor did they know what I was talking about.  I explained why I was there and did the challenge with a men's club because they didn't have a women's club.  

Not being sure it would be representative of a true comparison I went to a PGA store and repeated the process there.  I have always played with men's reg length clubs, presently the Cleveland Apex, but I am considering switching to women's clubs so I did the challenge with both the men's and women's club, plus my own.  

I was surprised to see that the numbers across the board were actually better with the Wilson D7 women's model than the other two.  The spin, disbursement, etc., and especially the distance.  An average of 6 yards more with the 7 iron.  The look at setup is great and the feel is pretty exceptional. 

I would really like to test this club to see how it performs over time.

Below are some of the results of the fitting.

GolferDorkette D7 Challnge.jpg

Top iron was the men's D7

The Middle is the ladies D7

The Bottom is my current iron-the men's apex

GolfDorkette new LM number pic .jpg

Wow nice work!! You need to get into so women's clubs if you go purely by the numbers. Did that club feel better than the others when you hit it?

Oh and welcome to the forums 😁😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

Wow nice work!! You need to get into so women's clubs if you go purely by the numbers. Did that club feel better than the others when you hit it?

Oh and welcome to the forums 😁😎

The club felt much better than the others.  It felt light but I could feel where the clubhead was.  Was really glad I tested them.  

And thanks!

• Like 5

I had a choice to make today, sit in rush hour Boston traffic or kill time at Golfers Warehouse just north of Boston until traffic clears up. I decided to hit the golf shop. I was the only guy there so I started hitting the D7s. I was getting comfy with the graphite Recoil shafts when the sales guy said I needed more weight.

After about 3 shafts I landed on the KBS Tour 105 stiff. Consistent contact, 6 mph more ball speed and a hair under 160 carry. That is long for my 7. I went lighter this year and it appears I should have gone the other way.

Lastly the lie board said I should go 2 degrees flat and after that adjustment I was 10 yards right. Never trust a lie board!

• Like 5

Joe and 9.9
May 3, 2019 at PGA Superstore in Jacksonville FL.
The reason I took the challenge is because over the past 9 months I have been playing one length irons and my distances are trending downward. It is probably a result of my age and some changes in my swing over that time as well. I figured I would give it a try and signed up online through PGA Superstore website.
The experience was top notch, my fitter Mike Romig called ahead of time to confirm and put me through a proper fitting. He was extremely professional and we found out some really interesting things. The first thing he identified was that I am playing the wrong flex shaft. We switched to a regular shaft KBS 105 and wow it allowed me to be much smoother in my delivery and the ball stopped flaring to the right. We also found out that my current set at 1 degree flat is wrong for my current swing and I am now standard lie angle. Now for the amazing part my current 7 iron flies 150 but with the D7 i gained 14 yards it flew 164. We took one extra step because in my current set my 4 iron and 5 iron go the same distance of 170...yeah i know right. He pulled me a 5 iron to try and wow hitting it 194 the same distance i hit my current TM 3 hybrid. I am seriously considering these because the distance gains are unreal and it could really help my game and really push my hybrids out of the bag for good. Also the lighter shaft might have an affect on my tempo and also the way i feel after a round of golf. Right now with my current set with AMT shafts i am completely wiped out after 18 holes I mean like go to bed tired and it could be because of how heavy those clubs are. Overall it was a great experience for me to see that technology can get my distance back up to where they were 2 years ago. Turned 42 today and man the decline in distance is happening.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Joe and 9.9
May 3, 2019 at PGA Superstore in Jacksonville FL.
The reason I took the challenge is because over the past 9 months I have been playing one length irons and my distances are trending downward. It is probably a result of my age and some changes in my swing over that time as well. I figured I would give it a try and signed up online through PGA Superstore website.
The experience was top notch, my fitter Mike Romig called ahead of time to confirm and put me through a proper fitting. He was extremely professional and we found out some really interesting things. The first thing he identified was that I am playing the wrong flex shaft. We switched to a regular shaft KBS 105 and wow it allowed me to be much smoother in my delivery and the ball stopped flaring to the right. We also found out that my current set at 1 degree flat is wrong for my current swing and I am now standard lie angle. Now for the amazing part my current 7 iron flies 150 but with the D7 i gained 14 yards it flew 164. We took one extra step because in my current set my 4 iron and 5 iron go the same distance of 170...yeah i know right. He pulled me a 5 iron to try and wow hitting it 194 the same distance i hit my current TM 3 hybrid. I am seriously considering these because the distance gains are unreal and it could really help my game and really push my hybrids out of the bag for good. Also the lighter shaft might have an affect on my tempo and also the way i feel after a round of golf. Right now with my current set with AMT shafts i am completely wiped out after 18 holes I mean like go to bed tired and it could be because of how heavy those clubs are. Overall it was a great experience for me to see that technology can get my distance back up to where they were 2 years ago. Turned 42 today and man the decline in distance is happening.

Happy Birthday! I picked up the D7 3 hybrid the other day and it is probably the easiest to hit hybrid I have ever hit. The stock steal shafts did nothing for me, the Recoil shaft peaked my interest then the KBS 105s have me in ponder mode.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Happy Birthday! I picked up the D7 3 hybrid the other day and it is probably the easiest to hit hybrid I have ever hit. The stock steal shafts did nothing for me, the Recoil shaft peaked my interest then the KBS 105s have me in ponder mode.

I went to a fitting this past week. I hit a lot of clubs but what worked best for me were the D-7s with Recoil shafts. I would have never thought that. Trackman doesn't lie 😁

• Like 2

I went to a fitting this past week. I hit a lot of clubs but what worked best for me were the D-7s with Recoil shafts. I would have never thought that. Trackman doesn't lie 

Go buy them! I get better results from heavier steel but damn those clubs with the Recoils are so nice to hit. Effortless! I looked into them for my Launchers and they are discontinued.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the D7 challenge but just cant bring myself to pull the trigger on a purchase. I might schedule another fitting to be sure. But if that was real 14 yards extra with my 7 iron and 24 yards extra with my 5 iron I mean I would be dumb not to give them a real go.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GeekingGolf said:

I enjoyed the D7 challenge but just cant bring myself to pull the trigger on a purchase. I might schedule another fitting to be sure. But if that was real 14 yards extra with my 7 iron and 24 yards extra with my 5 iron I mean I would be dumb not to give them a real go.

Is that extra distance bleeding into your fairway metal yardages?

• Like 1

One more month, is anyone else getting a chance to take the D7 challenge??

• Like 2

It would push my 3 hybrid out of the bag which I would be a fan of

Is that extra distance bleeding into your fairway metal yardages?

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 11:47 PM, GeekingGolf said:

It would push my 3 hybrid out of the bag which I would be a fan of

Do you generally have trouble with the hybrid or just prefer irons over metalwoods/hybrids?

• Like 1