GolfSpy STUDque

M&F TESTERS ANNOUNCED: Take the Wilson D7 Challenge

Tim 9 hdcp

Fri 10 May at Northway 8 Golfcenter in Clifton Park NY

So I went into this golf testing totally unbiased just was interested in seeing how club technology specifically irons has grown in 6 years since I purchased my last set and man was I blown a way. I currently hit mizunos and I have to say the D7 was so nice to hit. Great ball flight amazing sound and feel and just soars for what felt like forever. 

The pockets they built in for speed and stability really help. I would purposefully try to miss it and it would still be a good shot. I typically hit a 7i 155 with the D7 i was hitting 165-170 carry. The 5i was easily going 200 and the driver was a beaut. Easily the most underrated clubs of 2019 can't believe more people aren't talking about these. These are game changers!

• Like 4

Bump! Don't forget about this one. Deadline to enter is June 16. 

In case you can't tell, we decided to hold off to announce all testers at once. Wilson added a bunch of Challenge events to the schedule so it's worth a double check to see if it made its way to your town. At this point, we will also accept entries that find a location to demo the D7 irons if a challenge event doesn't come close enough to your home. 

• Like 7

And here is the final countdown!  Go check out these irons (and everything else) the wilson booth has some great products to try! 

• Like 1

Rob, 26

PGA SuperStore,  Naples, FL

I finally got the opportunity to sneak into the closest PGA Superstore and demo the D7.  I really would like to have the chance to attend one of the challenge days, but the ones that fit my availability schedule are too far away. 

When I arrived I spent a few minutes wandering around, since I don't get into the store that often.  Let's just say it would be super easy to spend a ridiculous amount of money very quickly.  I then made my way to the fitting/practice bays and connected with one of the fitters.  I told him I was looking to hit the Wilson D7, and after about 10 minutes of digging, he came up with the 7-iron head and put in a KBS stiff shaft.  We tried a couple of the fitting bays but had computer troubles, and finally went to one of the practice bays to get a decent setup for a lefty.  After a few minutes of warming up with my C200 7-iron, I switched to the D7.

I can tell you right now that the KBS stiff is not the right shaft for me in that iron.  That being said, it was still pretty impressive.  According to the computer I averaged about 147 with my C200 over 15 shots and I averaged about 156 with the D7 over 25 shots, even with a shaft that I know I wouldn't get fitted into.  The fitter who had set me up had disappeared, so I didn't get a chance to swap out the shaft for a different one.  The dispersion didn't seem to be much different between the two irons.  I would say that averaging an extra 9 yards without being any further offline is actually a better dispersion pattern.

The D7 would probably appear to be fairly chunky to someone who's not used to the appearance, but I didn't find it too distracting.  I've played Ping Eye2's, Taylormade Burners and the C200's in recent years, and don't think the D7 is any worse looking than any of those irons.

When the hour I had available to demo the D7 was up, I went looking for someone to give the club back to.  I found the same fitter who had set me up, and gave it back to him.  I gave him a quick rundown of what I experienced and he said "that's the best iron in the store right now.  For a mid-handicapper, you can't do better than that.  It's designed to get the ball up in the air quickly and offers great distance."   That's a direct quote.

Overall, I was pretty impressed.  I like my C200's and I'd love the opportunity to play with the D7's some more.

• Like 5

I sure like my D7 driver, guess I need to go to Golf Galaxy and try the D7 irons🏌️‍♂️

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

I sure like my D7 driver, guess I need to go to Golf Galaxy and try the D7 irons🏌️‍♂️

Yes, you need to.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

Yes, you need to.

I may have missed it, but seem to recall these were great for you? Did you get some? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaxEntropy said:

I may have missed it, but seem to recall these were great for you? Did you get some? 

Great memory! Not yet, but I was impressed. During several rounds I have wished for more than only the D7 7-iron to experiment with. The D7 challenge made me realize how much I could be missing by not trying other brands. We don't live close to a location where I can try several types so I need to organize a day trip (or trips) around taking advantage of that journey. The D7's might be "it" for me but I just don't know. On a positive note, I have a couple of friends who have mentioned they would like to share that with me. Yea for girl's golf research trips.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, daviddvm said:

3 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Yes, you need to.

I second this. Go now! 

• Like 2

Steve 

maryland, right handed

20 handicap

first set of irons I bought was a set of Wilson Staff’s.  Love them and have never come close to hitting any other iron as far.   I have been intrigued to say the least in Wilson’s recent re-emerging in the the golf market.  I would’ve love to try the D7’s

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:54 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

At this point, we will also accept entries that find a location to demo the D7 irons if a challenge event doesn't come close enough to your home. 

@Fairwayguy2, if you want to enter to become a tester, I would highly recommend that you try/demo them at the store nearest you, then come back to this thread and post your thoughts on the D7 irons.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

1. JS Smith, -16

2. 6/6, Mulligans Golf Shop, Richmond, VA

3. The experience and review!

Distance has not been an issue of late (7i ~165+yrds w/ current clubs), however mishits and shot dispersion are. After checking out the online reviews from other MGS posters, and the proximity of the event, I wanted to give these clubs a try. As others have noted, the sign-up was very simple - however, one glitch I had was never receiving a confirmation email. Thankfully the rep emailed me the day before to confirm everything.

The day of the event, I headed out to Mulligans/Bogey's Sports park - it's a driving range, putt putt, and batting cage complex west of Richmond, VA.

IMG_20190606_143401.thumb.jpg.94817f328bfd0028e1e893e5d740f3b9.jpg

No, there are not cow's roaming the driving range, as the hay bales in the background of the above photo might indicate, haha!

Unbeknownst to me, this was a full demo day for Mulligan's with a number of reps on site besides Wilson - Srixon, Cleveland, Tour Edge, Mizuno, Cobra, Callaway, and Taylor Made all had tent's setup with ample clubs to try. This was a heck of an opportunity to put the D7 up against the best from a number of brands!

IMG_20190606_144917.thumb.jpg.5cc10b2ae5b8785b012010e56623d5ec.jpg

Met Mark, the Wilson rep, and we talked about my dispersion and mishit issues. After warming up a bit with my current 7i, we both agreed that height and distance were not an issue, but that the D7 might be able to keep me in the fairway more often and give equal or slightly greater distance with less swing speed - a welcome relief in the dogs days of summer when you're sweaty and tired on #16 and trying to bring it home. 

The D7 definitely delivered with it's speed tech and larger face. A few things that really stood out to me from my current 7i are:

• Mishits (toe, heel, wherever) still kept me on the fairway and would say dispersion decreased about -20% over my current club
  • Mishits still delivered ~120-130yrds, whereas my current clubs would put me 40yrds downrange and 10yrds deep in the woods
  • Distance was as equal if not slightly greater. I'd say a +10-15yrds when struck well, so I was averaging about 175+yrds. When I slowed down my swing just a touch, I was still getting 160+yrds with most hits. 
  • Feel was much nicer than my knockoff tour CB's. Contact was solid, the sound was pleasant, and the perimeter weighting really helped with control and follow-through

We played around with shafts and found that a KBS Tour 80 Stiff +1" really maximized distance, helped with control, decreased dispersion, and increased consistency of swing motion. A comparison shot of both clubs is below - unfortunately my phone was acting up and didn't get a sole comparison shot.

IMG_20190606_150802.thumb.jpg.6f396414079e3d17f83c03f3ac080273.jpg

I tried a few other clubs from other vendors, particularly the new JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro's - recent 2019 MGS champ, and my shots were comparable with all sets in the Game Improvement class. The JPX 919's did feel a bit better when well struck - some sorta black magic in that club that makes you grin when you crank one out there... When you factor in the price difference, though, the Wilson D7's become a lot more attractive given the overall similarities that the other sets delivered for me. 

I would certainly consider these clubs for a future purchase and would like to play a few rounds with them to understand their performance and limitations they could deliver for my game!

Mark, the rep that day, also gave me a nice D7 hat and couple ball sleeves since I was the only one who had "officially" signed up through the website. By the time I left, though, there were 2 other people hitting the D7 with similar success. 

Edited by Tarheelvolvo
  • Like 5

1. JS Smith, -16
Distance has not been an issue of late (7i ~165+yrds w/ current clubs), however mishits and shot dispersion are. After checking out the online reviews from other MGS posters, and the proximity of the event, I wanted to give these clubs a try. As others have noted, the sign-up was very simple - however, one glitch I had was never receiving a confirmation email. Thankfully the rep emailed me the day before to confirm everything.
The day of the event, I headed out to Mulligans/Bogey's Sports park - it's a driving range, putt putt, and batting cage complex west of Richmond, VA.
No, there are not cow's roaming the driving range, as the hay bales in the background of the above photo might indicate, haha!
Unbeknownst to me, this was a full demo day for Mulligan's with a number of reps on site besides Wilson - Srixon, Cleveland, Tour Edge, Mizuno, Cobra, Callaway, and Taylor Made all had tent's setup with ample clubs to try. This was a heck of an opportunity to put the D7 up against the best from a number of brands!
Met Mark, the Wilson rep, and we talked about my dispersion and mishit issues. After warming up a bit with my current 7i, we both agreed that height and distance were not an issue, but that the D7 might be able to keep me in the fairway more often and give equal or slightly greater distance with less swing speed - a welcome relief in the dogs days of summer when you're sweaty and tired on #16 and trying to bring it home. 
The D7 definitely delivered with it's speed tech and larger face. A few things that really stood out to me from my current 7i are:
  • Mishits (toe, heel, wherever) still kept me on the fairway and would say dispersion decreased about -20% over my current club
  • Mishits still delivered ~120-130yrds, whereas my current clubs would put me 40yrds downrange and 10yrds deep in the woods
  • Distance was as equal if not slightly greater. I'd say a +10-15yrds when struck well, so I was averaging about 175+yrds. When I slowed down my swing just a touch, I was still getting 160+yrds with most hits. 
  • Feel was much nicer than my knockoff tour CB's. Contact was solid, the sound was pleasant, and the perimeter weighting really helped with control and follow-through
We played around with shafts and found that a KBS Tour 80 Stiff +1" really maximized distance, helped with control, decreased dispersion, and increased consistency of swing motion. A comparison shot of both clubs is below - unfortunately my phone was acting up and didn't get a sole comparison shot.
I tried a few other clubs from other vendors, particularly the new JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro's - recent 2019 MSG champ, and my shots were comparable with all sets in the Game Improvement class. When you factor in the price difference, the Wilson D7's become a lot more attractive given the overall similarities that the other sets delivered for me. 
I would certainly consider these clubs for a future purchase and would like to play a few rounds with them to understand their true limitation and performance enhancements they could deliver for my game!
Mark, the rep that day, also gave me a nice D7 hat and couple ball sleeves since I was the only one who had "officially" signed up through the website. By the time I left, though, there were 2 other people hitting the D7 with similar success. 

Nicely done!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Nicely done!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Thanks Wedgie! As a new guy around here I appreciate the feedback 😁

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

1. JS Smith, -16

I tried a few other clubs from other vendors, particularly the new JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro's - recent 2019 MGS champ, and my shots were comparable with all sets in the Game Improvement class. The JPX 919's did feel a bit better when well struck - some sorta black magic in that club that makes you grin when you crank one out there... When you factor in the price difference, though, the Wilson D7's become a lot more attractive given the overall similarities that the other sets delivered for me. 

I would certainly consider these clubs for a future purchase and would like to play a few rounds with them to understand their performance and limitations they could deliver for my game!

Great job!  Really enjoyed the recap of your demo day. Were there any aspects you liked about the D7s over the other irons you tested?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Great job!  Really enjoyed the recap of your demo day. Were there any aspects you liked about the D7s over the other irons you tested?

Hey @JohnSmalls, great question. Wasn't sure if this was the right place to dive into the comparison of D7 vs. others out there. I should note that the Wilson D7 really falls into the "Super Game Improvement" category and the others I tried are in the "Game Improvement" category - which fits my needs a little better given swing speed (relatively fast) and motion (about 75% consistent). However, I do still suffer from mishits as noted above, which is where the Wilson D7 really shined. So let's get to it!

Clubs I also tried on the demo day in addition to the Wilson D7 include:

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
  • Callaway Rouge
  • Srixon Z585
  • TaylorMade M5

Ran out of time before I had a chance to try the Cobra's, but I'll head to Golf Galaxy and update this post when I get an opportunity. 

Distance

Compared to the D7, distances were all about the same for me, hovering in the 170-180yd range on well struck balls. A few that I really got after might have approached 190+ with roll. This is probably the max limitation of most 7i out there. Point being, they all fly equally well when hit solid. I will say that the JPX 919 gave the straightest flight of any club I hit, when hit well. Here are a few notes on each club:

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - truest flight when well stuck, higher apex than most, solid roll after landing, ~180yds
  • Callaway Rouge - lower apex, gave me a slight draw on well struck balls, odd roll characteristics that were hard to predict, ~165yds
  • Srixon Z585 - Medium apex, medium roll, gave more options to "shape" my shot, though, which could be very fun as my game improves, ~170-175yds
  • TaylorMade M5 - Highest apex for me, short roll, strong flight characteristics, hard to shape shots, though, ~165yds
  • Wilson D7 - Lower apex than my current 7i, can still shape shots a tiny bit, gave me a "lazy draw" with most shots, ~170-175yds

Mishits

All irons I hit had larger faces, stronger perimeter weighting, and slightly more offset than my current 7i. These characteristics all helped when I didn't quite get a center hit. All irons, except the Callaway, reigned me in to the "fairway" and proved admirably on distance. Few notes for each:

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - You can definitely "feel" when it's hit well, so the feedback is immediate when you get a mishit - which, as an aside, might mess with your head in the middle of a round...just saying. With that said, mishits still flew well, would be within a 40-50yrd range Left/Right, and all went about ~150yds for me. 
  • Callaway Rouge - This was an anomaly for me...Mishits, while better than my current 7i, were about 90+yards range Left/Right and flew maybe 90yds. Could be I was misfitted for this club, so i'd be willing to try it again.
  • Srixon Z585 - Mishits and well struck felt about the same to my hands, and would all be easily findable on most courses, ~140yds
  • TaylorMade M5 - The high apex worked well here as most of the mishit energy went "up" instead of Left/Right. Tightest range among the clubs I hit, about 30yds Left/Right, and still flew well, ~130+yds - basically, it gave the best "playable" shot even when after you hit it on the toe
  • Wilson D7 - Second in terms of range Left/Right with mishits, about 35yrds, solid flight, ~145yds

Feel

I'll jump right in here:

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - When well struck, feels sublime - truly amazing how they have crafted this club to give you instantaneous feedback and plaster a grin on your face. Sound was average among all clubs.
  • Callaway Rouge - Nicer sound when well struck, felt about average, but as I mentioned above, I think I was misfit for this club and need to give it another try to get a better feel for it
  • Srixon Z585 - Solid feel when well struck, no complaints
  • TaylorMade M5 - Solid feel as well, no complaints
  • Wilson D7 - This has a larger head/sole than the others, so the feel was a little more clunky for my swing. Once I got the hang of it, though, the sound and feel were comparable to the other irons and I would feel confident swinging these on the course.

Dispersion

I touched on this with the Mishit notes above, so I'll stick to only the "well stuck" balls and their groupings.

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - tight grouping, probably the tightest of all clubs I hit. When well struck, it was maybe 5yrds, and that's an over-estimation to be fair to the others.
  • Callaway Rouge - Widest of the group, probably 15+yds
  • Srixon Z585 - Second tightest, about 8yds
  • TaylorMade M5 - Not sure if the high apex gets affected by the wind/weather conditions more, but this was second worst for me, shot dispersion about 12-ish yds 
  • Wilson D7 - Solidly middle of the pack, about 10yds. Very pleased with the dispersion

Value & Overall

This can be a bit subjective, so i'm going to only compare retail prices for a 4-PW set and give you my overall thoughts. 

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - $999 right now, however the value of these is still very high given the distance, mishit characteristics, tight dispersion, and the feel - I can't stress the feel enough with these. I'd say #2 in value, #1 overall
  • Callaway Rouge - $699 right now, so a solid value compared to the others here, but they just didn't perform for me. I'd say #3 in value, #5 overall
  • Srixon Z585 - $999 right now, is this just the price point these days? Bit disappointing that some many manufacturers are charging this much given the competition, but they performed very well in my hands, so #4 in value, #3 overall
  • TaylorMade M5 - $999 right now, again with the steeper price tag and average performance compared to the others testes, so #5 in value, #4 overall
  • Wilson D7 - $599 right now - these are the value kings given the characteristics they deliver compared to the pricier sets. Definitely #1 in value and #2 overall given that value...it was tough and almost a tie between these and the Z585's, but $400 bucks in my pocket for new wedges or driver allows me to get a new complete set for the price of the Srixons and that does matter at the end of the day. 

Hope this helps and would recommend you guys give these clubs a try yourselves. All very fun to hit and not a "bad" iron in the group. 

Edited by Tarheelvolvo
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

On 6/8/2019 at 9:37 AM, Tarheelvolvo said:

Hey @JohnSmalls, great question. Wasn't sure if this was the right place to dive into the comparison of D7 vs. others out there. I should note that the Wilson D7 really falls into the "Super Game Improvement" category and the others I tried are in the "Game Improvement" category - which fits my needs a little better given swing speed (relatively fast) and motion (about 75% consistent). However, I do still suffer from mishits as noted above, which is where the Wilson D7 really shined. So let's get to it!

Clubs I also tried on the demo day in addition to the Wilson D7 include:

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
  • Callaway Rouge
  • Srixon Z585
  • TaylorMade M5

Ran out of time before I had a chance to try the Cobra's, but I'll head to Golf Galaxy and update this post when I get an opportunity. 

Distance

Compared to the D7, distances were all about the same for me, hovering in the 170-180yd range on well struck balls. A few that I really got after might have approached 190+ with roll. This is probably the max limitation of most 7i out there. Point being, they all fly equally well when hit solid. I will say that the JPX 919 gave the straightest flight of any club I hit, when hit well. Here are a few notes on each club:

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - truest flight when well stuck, higher apex than most, solid roll after landing, ~180yds
  • Callaway Rouge - lower apex, gave me a slight draw on well struck balls, odd roll characteristics that were hard to predict, ~165yds
  • Srixon Z585 - Medium apex, medium roll, gave more options to "shape" my shot, though, which could be very fun as my game improves, ~170-175yds
  • TaylorMade M5 - Highest apex for me, short roll, strong flight characteristics, hard to shape shots, though, ~165yds
  • Wilson D7 - Lower apex than my current 7i, can still shape shots a tiny bit, gave me a "lazy draw" with most shots, ~170-175yds

Mishits

All irons I hit had larger faces, stronger perimeter weighting, and slightly more offset than my current 7i. These characteristics all helped when I didn't quite get a center hit. All irons, except the Callaway, reigned me in to the "fairway" and proved admirably on distance. Few notes for each:

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - You can definitely "feel" when it's hit well, so the feedback is immediate when you get a mishit - which, as an aside, might mess with your head in the middle of a round...just saying. With that said, mishits still flew well, would be within a 40-50yrd range Left/Right, and all went about ~150yds for me. 
  • Callaway Rouge - This was an anomaly for me...Mishits, while better than my current 7i, were about 90+yards range Left/Right and flew maybe 90yds. Could be I was misfitted for this club, so i'd be willing to try it again.
  • Srixon Z585 - Mishits and well struck felt about the same to my hands, and would all be easily findable on most courses, ~140yds
  • TaylorMade M5 - The high apex worked well here as most of the mishit energy went "up" instead of Left/Right. Tightest range among the clubs I hit, about 30yds Left/Right, and still flew well, ~130+yds - basically, it gave the best "playable" shot even when after you hit it on the toe
  • Wilson D7 - Second in terms of range Left/Right with mishits, about 35yrds, solid flight, ~145yds

Feel

I'll jump right in here:

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - When well struck, feels sublime - truly amazing how they have crafted this club to give you instantaneous feedback and plaster a grin on your face. Sound was average among all clubs.
  • Callaway Rouge - Nicer sound when well struck, felt about average, but as I mentioned above, I think I was misfit for this club and need to give it another try to get a better feel for it
  • Srixon Z585 - Solid feel when well struck, no complaints
  • TaylorMade M5 - Solid feel as well, no complaints
  • Wilson D7 - This has a larger head/sole than the others, so the feel was a little more clunky for my swing. Once I got the hang of it, though, the sound and feel were comparable to the other irons and I would feel confident swinging these on the course.

Dispersion

I touched on this with the Mishit notes above, so I'll stick to only the "well stuck" balls and their groupings.

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - tight grouping, probably the tightest of all clubs I hit. When well struck, it was maybe 5yrds, and that's an over-estimation to be fair to the others.
  • Callaway Rouge - Widest of the group, probably 15+yds
  • Srixon Z585 - Second tightest, about 8yds
  • TaylorMade M5 - Not sure if the high apex gets affected by the wind/weather conditions more, but this was second worst for me, shot dispersion about 12-ish yds 
  • Wilson D7 - Solidly middle of the pack, about 10yds. Very pleased with the dispersion

Value & Overall

This can be a bit subjective, so i'm going to only compare retail prices for a 4-PW set and give you my overall thoughts. 

• Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro - $999 right now, however the value of these is still very high given the distance, mishit characteristics, tight dispersion, and the feel - I can't stress the feel enough with these. I'd say #2 in value, #1 overall
  • Callaway Rouge - $699 right now, so a solid value compared to the others here, but they just didn't perform for me. I'd say #3 in value, #5 overall
  • Srixon Z585 - $999 right now, is this just the price point these days? Bit disappointing that some many manufacturers are charging this much given the competition, but they performed very well in my hands, so #4 in value, #3 overall
  • TaylorMade M5 - $999 right now, again with the steeper price tag and average performance compared to the others testes, so #5 in value, #4 overall
  • Wilson D7 - $599 right now - these are the value kings given the characteristics they deliver compared to the pricier sets. Definitely #1 in value and #2 overall given that value...it was tough and almost a tie between these and the Z585's, but $400 bucks in my pocket for new wedges or driver allows me to get a new complete set for the price of the Srixons and that does matter at the end of the day. 

Hope this helps and would recommend you guys give these clubs a try yourselves. All very fun to hit and not a "bad" iron in the group. 

Really impressed with the comparison!   You were very thorough and this is one of the reasons we come to this site.  Thank you for taking the time to post all of the info and your thoughts.  I find myself agreeing with you on your last point.  The D7's seem to flat out perform and on top of that the value these irons offer is incredible. 

• Like 1

Fresh off the Wilson victory at the USOpen, sick!!!

• Like 2