Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Hey All,

Who out there has an indoor putting green and which would you recommend? Didnt really see a centralized thread for these.

 

I have a skilz accelerator putting strip with ball return that works well but looking to upgrade to something with multiple holes, etc. Something that is 4'x12' or so. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Birdie Ball putting greens, I have a 4' x 12' one and it's pretty awesome. They have several customization options as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Check out Birdie Ball putting greens, I have a 4' x 12' one and it's pretty awesome. They have several customization options as well.

For some reason I completely forgot about those. How do you like it? Do the holes only being 1/2" deep cause any issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
For some reason I completely forgot about those. How do you like it? Do the holes only being 1/2" deep cause any issues?


I love mine. Haven't had any issues with the holes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TSauer said:

 


I love mine. Haven't had any issues with the holes.

 

Good to know. I have some little carpeted holes at work and the ball doesnt like to stay in those if theres any kind of pace on the putt. 

When you received yours, were there any issues with it laying flat at first?

Edited by patrickleeleep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good to know. I have some little carpeted holes at work and the ball doesnt like to stay in those if theres any kind of pace on the putt. 
When you received yours, were there any issues with it laying flat at first?


There are plastic cups that you insert into the holes and they have a small lip around the back so you don't have to worry about that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Birdie ball, putt out, and perfect practice are all on my radar for when I get one. The perfect practice has a little ramp and ball return too

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a 4x12 birdieball green for over 3 years now. Pretty solid.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a review on the birdieball that I did. @GolfSpy MPR also found one he really likes for a really good deal. Birdieball seems great for a portable solution. Maybe the other choice here is better if you want a permanent setup. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the BirdieBall is looking to be the best option. I wont be building any kind of stand as I live in an apartment so this will be in the living room in between the rug and tv stand. Theres a good amount of space which I think a 4x12 would be perfect. 

How did you guys do the hole configurations and how do you like them or would make changes now after having it for some time?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the one and two option.  I have a suspicion that putting at the right hole I have an advantage because the edge of the mat is running parallel to the line of the putt 6-7 inches away.  I haven't really come up with a test to prove this though.  Even if I did want to configure things differently, I am not sure what I would change it to that would be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a synlawn green. It’s nice. 11’x4’. It is raised and you can chip onto it.

IMG_9244.JPG


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a picture of my birdieball. I putt and chip on it... Although they don't suggest chipping on it. You shouldn't wear shoes on it. Also, there should be a hard surface below it. Carpet doesn't really work, even if it's not super soft.

 

IMG_20190119_175056.thumb.jpeg.2c6877a524e66e3e358aca3d94ad6e75.jpeg

 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you trying to accomplish with the green? There are a lot of greens with a wide price variation.

 

I have thought a lot about getting a green and have had various ones over the years. I found that I never used them and never really got better. Changed my focus to working on the first few feet of the putt and startline. Have used yardsticks and other devices to make ball and putter gates to work on the stroke and contact and if is something that can be done in a few feet of space.

 

Not trying to talk you out of a putting green, just giving a different perspective and get you I think about you goals.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cnosil said:

What are you trying to accomplish with the green? There are a lot of greens with a wide price variation.

 

I have thought a lot about getting a green and have had various ones over the years. I found that I never used them and never really got better. Changed my focus to working on the first few feet of the putt and startline. Have used yardsticks and other devices to make ball and putter gates to work on the stroke and contact and if is something that can be done in a few feet of space.

 

Not trying to talk you out of a putting green, just giving a different perspective and get you I think about you goals.

A great point. I had been debating getting a Birdie Ball green, but really I've been OK with putting on my basement carpet and just working on setup, stroke/tempo and contact. 

That's not to say I wouldn't love a decent-sized putting green, but I don't know if I'd get my money's worth out of one at the moment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cnosil said:

What are you trying to accomplish with the green? There are a lot of greens with a wide price variation.

 

I have thought a lot about getting a green and have had various ones over the years. I found that I never used them and never really got better. Changed my focus to working on the first few feet of the putt and startline. Have used yardsticks and other devices to make ball and putter gates to work on the stroke and contact and if is something that can be done in a few feet of space.

 

Not trying to talk you out of a putting green, just giving a different perspective and get you I think about you goals.

Love hearing this side of things because most people dont think about it. 

I want to work on putting and making a consistent stroke. Part of that being start line because without that putts will never go in. My apartment is also wood floors so I cant just putt on the floor like i used to be able to. Having a green would be beneficial to that point. I've owned the small strips that are 1'x10' with the guide lines. And as much as those can help, I feel like the lines hinder my ability because I step up and its all there for me. I just make an ok strike and its in. One of these like the birdie ball, etc will be more beneficial to to me as there are no guide lines so lining up the putt to start is the first challenge. Without the correct alignment at the start, my startline wont matter as much. 

So in short my goals would:

Daily (or close to daily)practice on alignment first and then start line. 

Putt speed

Mild breaks in putts since it is big enough to make some slight breaks in the green

 

And also, entertainment. My golfing buddies come over from time to time for sports and all that. So during half time or in between games it would add some entertainment for us golfers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cnosil said:

What are you trying to accomplish with the green? There are a lot of greens with a wide price variation.

 

I have thought a lot about getting a green and have had various ones over the years. I found that I never used them and never really got better. Changed my focus to working on the first few feet of the putt and startline. Have used yardsticks and other devices to make ball and putter gates to work on the stroke and contact and if is something that can be done in a few feet of space.

 

Not trying to talk you out of a putting green, just giving a different perspective and get you I think about you goals.

That is golden advice. Love your post. If you can start that putt on line every time then putting is a lot easier. 

As they say. Read, Speed, & Bead. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, patrickleeleep said:

Love hearing this side of things because most people dont think about it. 

I want to work on putting and making a consistent stroke. Part of that being start line because without that putts will never go in. My apartment is also wood floors so I cant just putt on the floor like i used to be able to. Having a green would be beneficial to that point. I've owned the small strips that are 1'x10' with the guide lines. And as much as those can help, I feel like the lines hinder my ability because I step up and its all there for me. I just make an ok strike and its in. One of these like the birdie ball, etc will be more beneficial to to me as there are no guide lines so lining up the putt to start is the first challenge. Without the correct alignment at the start, my startline wont matter as much. 

So in short my goals would:

Daily (or close to daily)practice on alignment first and then start line. 

Putt speed

Mild breaks in putts since it is big enough to make some slight breaks in the green

 

And also, entertainment. My golfing buddies come over from time to time for sports and all that. So during half time or in between games it would add some entertainment for us golfers. 

Wood floors do make it tough,  but an area rug or runner could solve that problem.     

I agree no guidelines and needs something wider to not allow the edges to give you the line.   

Speed control will be difficult on any putting green unless you can start rolling 20 footers and get something close to your greens speed....at least in my opinion.  

If you want it for entertainment,  I'd go as big as you can fit in the space and afford.  I would probably go with some actual artificial putting green turf.  Closest to real and can specify the speed you want.  Might be expensive,  but you asked for our opinions 🙂

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2019 at 10:05 PM, patrickleeleep said:

For some reason I completely forgot about those. How do you like it? Do the holes only being 1/2" deep cause any issues?

 

On 3/3/2019 at 10:12 PM, dhartmann34 said:

I've had a 4x12 birdieball green for over 3 years now. Pretty solid.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
 

I third this. Birdie ball makes a great green. Mine was destroyed in a move and my current roomate (read: the dog) I don't trust with getting a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sp0rtsfan86 said:

 

I third this. Birdie ball makes a great green. Mine was destroyed in a move and my current roomate (read: the dog) I don't trust with getting a new one.

What hole configuration did you have and after having one would would you have changed it if you could?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...