Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Vessel golf bags - worth the price?

Bucky CC

Hey everybody!

I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on Vessel golf bags.  Positive, negative, any great sales or coupon codes coming up?  😉

My current 6-way Titleist bag has sadly seen it's last golf season.  The plastic base that kicks out the legs wore out last fall after 10+ seasons of use.  It still worked on my push cart for the last few rounds of the season, but I'd prefer to have something that can actually stand upright on it's own for the times I go to the range or walk a round.

Of course I've looked at the top contenders from the MGS most wanted/buyer's guide lists.  The Hoofers are nice and all but they just don't seem to be the same quality as my old bag (fabric, zippers, etc).  I've also found the same thing with the Sun Mountain, TaylorMade, and the new Titleist hybrid bags.

Is the quality of the Vessel bags really that much better or are they just priced like a premium product?

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

The quality of vessel is top notch. Only you will know if it’s worth the price

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 hours ago, robertson153 said:

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

An apple is an apple...unless it's an orange.

I was looking for more of a pros/cons type review from people that have first hand experience with the bags.  Does the white of the bag fade or stain on the course?  Do the zippers work well or do they get stuck?  Is there enough storage space for your rain gear?  Is there any club bunching for clubs with larger grips?

I was hoping for more of an MGS review of the product from people that have first hand experience and less of a philosophical debate on perceived versus actual value.

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200

30 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

An apple is an apple...unless it's an orange.

I was looking for more of a pros/cons type review from people that have first hand experience with the bags.  Does the white of the bag fade or stain on the course?  Do the zippers work well or do they get stuck?  Is there enough storage space for your rain gear?  Is there any club bunching for clubs with larger grips?

I was hoping for more of an MGS review of the product from people that have first hand experience and less of a philosophical debate on perceived versus actual value.

A lot of what you are asking for is going to be personal preference. What I may consider enough storage someone else may not. Some may abuse a bag more than others.

Vessel is a high end bag and the May quality products across the board.  Rickie Fowler has been using a vessel standbag all year so that may indicate that since its tour worthy it is probably good for normal golfers.

its going to be hard to find reviews on a bag like vessel because of the cost and it bring more boutique type bag than your typical oem bag or something like sun mountain.

To hit on the different takes you talk about the perceived quality of hoofer, Tm, titleist and sun mountain. I’ve has a bag from all those brands over the last several years and each one has been a quality bag. The hoofer is close to the golf standard of bags and sun mountain right behind them.  I had a flextech bag at release and there was ample storage, if worked on every cart I rode in and on my bagboy push cart. My buddy now has it and it has held up for him.  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Here's a link to what MGS had to say about Vessel from this time last year...

https://mygolfspy.com/vessel-the-quiet-brand-behind-the-boldest-bags-on-tour/

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm sure I'll change my mind about 7,000 more times before I actually purchase something.  Funny how I could easily justify spending $500 on a new driver that will most likely be replaced within 5 years but spending an extra $100 on a bag that will be with me 10+ years is so difficult.

Just pull the trigger. No bag is going to be perfect except the ping pioneer cart bag. Buddy has A custom vessel for going to the Olympics. Thing is really nice. Sorry not too sure of storage space pockets etc. but looks alone I’d get one 

I have a Vessel Lite (actually a gfore killer carry but its just branded Vessel) and the quality is top notch.

The 4 way not-full lenght divider is a bit of a bummer so I ordered the player 2.0 that I’ll have as my ‘full set bag’ and the killer carry as a sunday bag. I was quite surprised that Vessel didnt make it into mygolfspy list to be fair.

Pockets are bigger than they seem. I also have a titleist StayDry 5 players and due to poor pocket placement I can’t fit there full waterproof set with leg thermals and gloves. On the vessel lite bag ( https://vesselbags.com/collections/golf-stand-bags/products/lite-stand?variant=9326212743228 ) the right full lenght pocket is huge. I assume the player 2.0 will be too.

Only thing I struggled with was 14 or 6 dividers, but went for 6 in the end. And after customisation it only takes a week longer to deliver.

EDIT: One problem i found is feet on the legs are falling off if not glued 😄 Very annoying!

On 3/4/2019 at 5:39 PM, Bucky CC said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm sure I'll change my mind about 7,000 more times before I actually purchase something.  Funny how I could easily justify spending $500 on a new driver that will most likely be replaced within 5 years but spending an extra $100 on a bag that will be with me 10+ years is so difficult.

I have a Vessel Stand bag. The quality is top notch. I spent the extra because I got tired of the zippers wearing out on the other brand bags that I have purchased over the years. All I could think is how cheap must these things be made?  I have twenty year old pairs of jeans that are still going strong with their zippers.  

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

After doing a ton of golf bag ho'ing from 2016 to 2018, my 14-way Vessel Player stand bag in matte black put an end to the nonsense. I picked mine up for $295, and straight up it's the best golf bag I've owned. My only real gripe is the lack of full length dividers, but given how great everything else is I'm willing to put up with that one detractor. What's 'worth it' will always vary from person to person, but I feel like the quality of Vessel bags justifies the cost. Just my .02! 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

At $295, I'd want full length dividers, but that's me.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I'm picky about my bags.  I tried the big vessel stand bag.  I think there are 2 different versions.  I only have experience with the big one. 

My first impression was that it was rigid, and bulky.  And those impressions didn't change.  I see it more as a staff replacement bag than a true carry/stand bag.  Because the materials are thicker and feel more luxurious, it can't be made of the same thin, light, rip-stop nylon that other stand bags are made out of.  I do like the pocket and zipper feel all around. 

The zippers are thick, track well, and the hardware/handle is more substantial.  It feels like quality for sure, and you can open any of the pockets with one hand.  No holding onto the material to get the zipper to track or to prevent the soft pocket from folding, in essence getting the zipper to snag.  

The stand deploys like any other stand bag.  I feel like Hoofers have the best mechanism.  This one part is the only thing that doesn't feel as strong as the rest of the bag.  The straps are okay, not what I would deem the most comfortable.  The opening and handles are all average.   Nothing really new that hasn't been seen before.  

The best thing about this bag are the zippers and the firm pockets, and the near logoless look.  I really like the ball pocket and the pocket right above it.  That arrangement is nice.  The worst part of the bag is that it is bulky, but that's what makes it feel more substantial and higher quality than the other bags.  It's a catch 22. 

I'd probably spend my money elsewhere.  But if you don't like logos on your bag, this is a pretty sweet alternative.  

On 3/15/2019 at 3:32 AM, puttingpirate said:

The 14 way Player stand bag has full lenght dividers.

That's the exact bag I have and it definitely doesn't have full length dividers. The dividers go about 3/4 of the way down the bag, and I still deal with a bit of club tangle from time to time. Again, not a huge deal for me as overall the pros outweigh the cons IMO!

14 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

That's the exact bag I have and it definitely doesn't have full length dividers. The dividers go about 3/4 of the way down the bag, and I still deal with a bit of club tangle from time to time. Again, not a huge deal for me as overall the pros outweigh the cons IMO!

I've been told by them that they have full length dividers. Them being 3/4 I'd be a little pissy but not massively. Let's see when the 6 way comes (been waiting for it nearly a month now...) 

I've been told by them that they have full length dividers. Them being 3/4 I'd be a little pissy but not massively. Let's see when the 6 way comes (been waiting for it nearly a month now...) 

Interesting. You’re waiting one of the new bags I take it? If so I’m guessing that’s a change they made from the previous generation.

• 2 weeks later...

Took advantage of BDAY promotion - Received my beautiful white Player 2.0 yesterday. First the good. The bag is gorgeous and the materials first class. Straps are awesome. I think the white will stay clean and crisp with nothing more than a wipe-down. A solid well built bag.

Few observations:

• Full length dividers - it has full length dividers, but they are not connected to the sides, or in the same configuration of the 6 way top. Its 3 dividers, top to bottom, but not attached on sides...so you will still have some club tangle.
  • Size - the top is tight. I carry the full compliment of 14 clubs. They would be tight in this bag.
  • Laser pocket - the magnetic pocket on the back is well done. But, it's got a support pole running down the back/ middle of it, taking up valuable space.
  • Water bottle pocket is just weird. Zipper pocket?
  • Ball pocket - pretty small. And I was so excited about getting a custom embroidery job, until I saw the size of that back pocket. Its just small. Logo and name would be pretty small.

Conclusions: Beautiful bag, but not as functional as I'd like. And for the price tag, I cannot imagine why the dividers are not better crafted. Really sucks to bite the bullet, wait with excitement, and then be ultimately disappointed. Kinda like my golf game from the first tee...

On 3/30/2019 at 12:31 PM, Seawolf said:

Took advantage of BDAY promotion - Received my beautiful white Player 2.0 yesterday. First the good. The bag is gorgeous and the materials first class. Straps are awesome. I think the white will stay clean and crisp with nothing more than a wipe-down. A solid well built bag.

Few observations:

• Full length dividers - it has full length dividers, but they are not connected to the sides, or in the same configuration of the 6 way top. Its 3 dividers, top to bottom, but not attached on sides...so you will still have some club tangle.
  • Size - the top is tight. I carry the full compliment of 14 clubs. They would be tight in this bag.
  • Laser pocket - the magnetic pocket on the back is well done. But, it's got a support pole running down the back/ middle of it, taking up valuable space.
  • Water bottle pocket is just weird. Zipper pocket?
  • Ball pocket - pretty small. And I was so excited about getting a custom embroidery job, until I saw the size of that back pocket. Its just small. Logo and name would be pretty small.

Conclusions: Beautiful bag, but not as functional as I'd like. And for the price tag, I cannot imagine why the dividers are not better crafted. Really sucks to bite the bullet, wait with excitement, and then be ultimately disappointed. Kinda like my golf game from the first tee...

So yeah, the fact that there are 3 not 6 dividers pissed me off a little, and they're 3/4 length not full. Also carrying stuff that has some 'edges' in the pockets shows really quickly and deforms the material. Think it could pierce it quite easily.

I carry 14 clubs in it too, and I'm not suuuper happy about how they fit, but it's ok.

Zipper pocket on top of the water bottle pocket is for ice 🙂

But yeah, I've waited for over a month to get the bag as I ordered it with embroidery. Then 3 weeks in (after being told that it will ship on Wednesday, Monday, this week, next week) it was still not dispatched and I ordered it to be delivered when I was visiting the US so that I could have brought it back with me. It wasn't ready so I asked them to ship it ASAP without the customisation.
That shipping took over a week to get to Florida and by that time I was already in the UK so with extra shipping on top it cost me over $550. 
Needless to say I'm a little salty about it as I wouldn't have ordered it if I expected such long shipping and mediocre customer service.

For $300 it's an OK bag. For $550 I wouldn't have bought it.

So yeah, the fact that there are 3 not 6 dividers pissed me off a little, and they're 3/4 length not full. Also carrying stuff that has some 'edges' in the pockets shows really quickly and deforms the material. Think it could pierce it quite easily.

I carry 14 clubs in it too, and I'm not suuuper happy about how they fit, but it's ok.

Zipper pocket on top of the water bottle pocket is for ice

But yeah, I've waited for over a month to get the bag as I ordered it with embroidery. Then 3 weeks in (after being told that it will ship on Wednesday, Monday, this week, next week) it was still not dispatched and I ordered it to be delivered when I was visiting the US so that I could have brought it back with me. It wasn't ready so I asked them to ship it ASAP without the customisation.

That shipping took over a week to get to Florida and by that time I was already in the UK so with extra shipping on top it cost me over $550. 

Needless to say I'm a little salty about it as I wouldn't have ordered it if I expected such long shipping and mediocre customer service.

For $300 it's an OK bag. For $550 I wouldn't have bought it.

Yeah even knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have paid a penny over the $295 I spent. And like I mentioned initially, there is a lot I like about the bag, but it is not without it's shortcomings. For me, I think the quality gives it a boost above the competitors, but I can honestly say if the Ping Hoofer 14-way was a bit more spacious and had full length dividers that would be the bag I gamed. Since that's not the case though, I'm going to use my Vessel bag until it gives out on me!

52 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

Yeah even knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have paid a penny over the $295 I spent. And like I mentioned initially, there is a lot I like about the bag, but it is not without it's shortcomings. For me, I think the quality gives it a boost above the competitors, but I can honestly say if the Ping Hoofer 14-way was a bit more spacious and had full length dividers that would be the bag I gamed. Since that's not the case though, I'm going to use my Vessel bag until it gives out on me!

Is there 14 full lenght ones in that or also only the horizontal ones?

6 minutes ago, puttingpirate said:

I haven't looked that close, but I'll check it out when I get home since I have to take my clubs out to clean them. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2019 at 8:18 PM, puttingpirate said:

Yes, the make a 6 way top, and a 14 way full length divider stand bag. They are really nice looking bags

Lefties are always in their Right Mind