TESTERS WANTED! ×

Scotty Cameron

Schuyler

Hey,

I am thinking about finally buying a scotty cameron but I dont know if it is worth it. What do you scotty cameron owners think of yours, is it worth buying one? And any recomendations and which ones do you like the best? Also, any tips on buying a scotty cameron?

Thanks,

Schuyler

Don't buy a putter JUST because it is a Scotty, please. If there is a particular putter that really catches your eye, go for it. But, there are far too many quality putter makers in the game, today, to simply buy due to a name engraved on the putter.

Just my thoughts. The Studio Select series is a great series, probably one of Scotty's best OTR offerings, to date.

Buy because you love the look and you'll be a much happier guy.

LaMont in AZ

I ordered a new Scotty recently. To be really frank about it, part of the reason why I got a Scotty is just pure vanity.

I might find that it doesn't work out well, and my cheapo Cleveland Classic makes more putts. But then again, since I blew good money on the putter, I'll commit even more time to improve my putting, which is the weakest part of my golf game.

Everytime I walk down the driving range, I see people pounding away with their expensive drivers. Which makes some sense, because they spent good money on their flashy drivers, so why not use it more often? Even though for better or worse, it probably won't significantly help their scores.

Taking the same approach, I chose to spend more money on a putter that I like. This would motivate me to spend much more time on my putter (and my short game as well). I believe this will translate to much better scoring and enjoyment of my golf game.

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Don't buy a putter JUST because it is a Scotty, please. If there is a particular putter that really catches your eye, go for it. But, there are far too many quality putter makers in the game, today, to simply buy due to a name engraved on the putter.

Just my thoughts. The Studio Select series is a great series, probably one of Scotty's best OTR offerings, to date.

Buy because you love the look and you'll be a much happier guy.

LaMont in AZ

I totally agree ,there is too many good putters out there, such as heavy putter,cleveland etc. I am thinking about buying a cleveland putter new for $89.99. You cant beat that.I just cant see spending what they want for a sc putter.

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

I totally agree ,there is too many good putters out there, such as heavy putter,cleveland etc. I am thinking about buying a cleveland putter new for $89.99. You cant beat that.I just cant see spending what they want for a sc putter.

I use a Cleveland putter. For the price it puts many other brands which cost few times more to shame.

But like I said in my earlier post, I ordered a Scotty putter for nothing more than vanity reasons.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

I use a Cleveland putter. For the price it puts many other brands which cost few times more to shame.

But like I said in my earlier post, I ordered a Scotty putter for nothing more than vanity reasons.

Thats cool,nothing wrong with a little vanity <_ .i like the scotty too>

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

I like my Scotty Newport 2.6. It's a great putter and I enjoy putting with it. I have found that when you have a putter you enjoy, you end up wanting to practice more and end up in turn playing better.

Putting like every other part of this game is mental. If mentally you see a putter in your bag that you've got positive thoughts and what not surrounding it then your half way there.

It's certainly not a bad putter. As far as recommendations as to which one - that's the best part. There are so many options available. Putt with a few and see which you like. I have the 2.6 which is not a super common one, but I don't like offset putters.

A few years ago, I went to the store with every intention of buying a Cameron, then tried just about every putter in the store before walking out with a Yes! Tracey and it hasnt left my bag since.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

The cost of your putter doesn't matter. There is no 'best' putter, it is purely what you are most comfortable with. If your'e in love with the California series then by all means go for it. When I was buying a putter, I tried everything in the store and was most comfortable with a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 so I ordered one with my specs. It doesn't matter if it is $20 from Wal-Mart or a $350 Scotty, it is all personal preference.

I totally agree with LukeA cost is irrelevant. What matters is you like the style (shape) offset , balance , weight at your preferred playing length and feel of the face. Iv'e played Scotty Cameron and found them to be very good. I've also tried a Ping Karsten and found that for me it felt much better than the far more expensive equivalent redwood.

After a sam lab session last year I changed to a compact mallet centre shaft ( mizuno bettinardi BC5). I also subsequntly bought a Seemore m3 limited edition ( also vanity) but its the mizuno that has stayed in the bag. I keep looking at others but haven't found anything that for me beats the BC5. The word I would use to describe what it gives me is confidence and that I reckon is the end game with any club.

I finally collected my Scotty from the pro shop at my golf course. Ironic I had the best putting round ever with my cheapo Cleveland putter. Maybe it knows there's a new kid in town and so it better behave. I'll keep my good ol' Cleveland putter, just so the new Scotty knows it has to deliver the goods.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

I noticed one big thing about this post. Everyone keeps referencing the Cleveland putters. I use a Cleveland BRZ 2 and it is the best putter I have ever felt. I had to change the grip to an Iomic but start reading reviews and experts will tell you that these putter feel just as good enough better than a Scotty!!!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

I'd get fitted and find the style that fits me. Then, if I wanted a vanity putter, I'd order one, from LaMont, or Tom Slighter, or Gene Nead, or Studio B, or any of the boutique guys and have them make me a true custom. An OTR Scotty isn't a vanity putter, it's just an off the rack putter that costs more than most OTR putters.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I noticed one big thing about this post. Everyone keeps referencing the Cleveland putters. I use a Cleveland BRZ 2 and it is the best putter I have ever felt. I had to change the grip to an Iomic but start reading reviews and experts will tell you that these putter feel just as good enough better than a Scotty!!!

I noticed that too! Seems that I'm not alone in being very much in love with the Cleveland putter. It is a really cheap putter but every bit as good as other more expensive putters as far as taking golf balls into the hole.

Already I notice a difference in term of feel comparing the Cleveland to my new Scotty. Cleveland has a very soft bettery feel, while Scotty is crisp, some may say it feels harsh.

Now in my bag:

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

• 3 weeks later...

I've a Scotty Studio Design No. 5 that I purchased from eBay. It is a real looker; I'm pretty much in love with it.

I also have an Odyssey White Ice No. 2 that was an anniversary present from my wife (picked out by me).

I chop and change between these - love them both and I find it hard to say which performs better.

What I do find though is that when I take one of them out and put the other into my bag, I make sure I'm at the course early enough to have a good practice session on the putting green...

If I were to get a brand new Scotty, it would be the California del Mar. The honey-dripping colouring is stunning and I'm finding that the slight mallet on the Studio Design helps with alignment.

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

If you want a laugh, search 'Scotty Cameron' on eBay.

Then sort the results by price - highest first.

Some folks go nuts for a Scotty - limited editions/ex-tour models going for the price of a 3 year old, 60,000 miles on the clock car!

Driver: Mizuno JPX-800 10.5 degree; stiff shaft; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

3 Wood: Taylormade R9, stiff shaft (set to NU)

Hybrid: Ping G15 17 degree; stiff graphite shaft

Irons: Mizuno JPX-800; Project X 5.5; Golf Pride Multi-Compound

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 52 (smoked finish), 56 (oilcan finish) & 60 degree (chrome finish)

Putter: Odyssey White Ice No. 1; Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5

I also play a set of Titleist 1980s Tour Forged Irons with regular shaft. These are excellent for practice, as is the Titliest PT 20 degree 5 wood that accompanies them.

Archived