PMookie

How do I take my Ping app numbers and pick a putter???

Generally speaking, blade putters are better for distance control (lagging) at the expense of missing some shorter putts.  Mallet putters are better at the short putts at the expense of being a little worse at lags.  

20 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Generally speaking, blade putters are better for distance control (lagging) at the expense of missing some shorter putts.  Mallet putters are better at the short putts at the expense of being a little worse at lags.  

What data supports this? I can’t recall ever hearing this philosophy from any of the fitters I talked to. 

I’ve used full mallet, mid mallet and blade, still rotate between a mid mallet and blade. I have no issues with distance control or making short putts with either in my bag. 

• Like 1

Curious to know if you found that getting the ball online was easier after your Edel fitting?  Did you struggle with line and speed with the Edel or both?  

Curious to know if you found that getting the ball online was easier after your Edel fitting?  Did you struggle with line and speed with the Edel or both?  

It did help my aim significantly, as it showed I was aiming way left, and had too much loft. Speed-wise it didn’t help. I’ve found the pixel insert not very consistent across the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

What data supports this? I can’t recall ever hearing this philosophy from any of the fitters I talked to. 
I’ve used full mallet, mid mallet and blade, still rotate between a mid mallet and blade. I have no issues with distance control or making short putts with either in my bag. 

I agree, would love to read where this information comes from. I have never heard this piece of information associated with the different types of putters.
  • Like 1

I certainly don't have any data and perhaps it IS an old wives tale.  It has proven true for me.  Note: this does not mean that if you play a blade putter you will be a crappy short putter or vice versa.  While I'm throwing out generalizations: Fat grips also hinder lag putting.  

Flame away!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PMookie said:

It did help my aim significantly, as it showed I was aiming way left, and had too much loft. Speed-wise it didn’t help. I’ve found the pixel insert not very consistent across the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A little off topic since it has nothing to do with putters but here is a tip that transformed my distance control from Monte Scheinblum.  Vary the width of your stance based on how long the put is and take the putter back just past your back foot and then follow thru past your front foot.  Every stroke should have the same tempo (time) so the longer the stroke the further the ball goes.  In my head I say "back foot, front foot" to set my tempo and as long as that is consistent then I make adjustments to my width of stance.   It also takes some emotion out of lag putting because if I set me feet wrong there is something that I can easily adjust the next put.  It did not take me long to get used to this same technique and have been using it for a couple years.  

• Like 3