Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cobra Forged Tec Black Replacements?

dhayse32

Not that I need to change....and not sure I really want to...but currently playing the Forged Tec Black irons and they have been incredible.  The only issue I have is the size of them, they just seem too large for my liking.  I'm a 10HC so I am not ready to jump into the players iron group yet as I still need some forgiveness.  So with that being said, whats do you recommend from the "new" product lines?  

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

Likely not the exact answer your looking for, but why not go in and get fut and try some of the new options that are out there? Seems like you know pretty darn close to what you're looking for so it would narrow down your choices or options pretty quick. Ap2 comes to mind 919 forged, but I also found the forged tec to look small and compact. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

If you really want something compact that still offers a bit of tech then I'd look at the Titleist CBs. I can't recall where I located the Titleist press kit on these that showed in greater detail what they've done with these irons, but I did find this that sums it up pretty well: https://golfweek.com/2017/08/24/titleist-718-cb-irons/

Another option would be to just look at doing a mixed bag with Forged Tec, and the King CB/MBs. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I currently Play Forged Tec Black in my 5 and 4 irons so I might suggest not completely giving up on them yet. Obviously doing a fitting is the best option but I would looking into doing something like a mixed bag of Cobra Forged Tours with the Forged Tec Black in your longer irons. If want something other than Cobra than I would consider Callaway Apex & Apex Pro, Titleist AP2, AP3 & T-MB, Taylormade P760 & P790, Ping I500, Mizuno JPX 919 Forged, Hot Metal & Hot Metal Pro, Srixon Z585  and maybe Z785.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I had an issue with the Forged Tec Blacks being chunky looking at address in the shorter irons so I went with the King Forged CBs from 5-GW and a Forged Tec Black 4i. I've been very happy with the decision, and was worried about the "players" irons being too hard for me to hit as a ~7 handicap, but I haven't had issues at all.

My other consideration was to get a PW & GW in the CB, and the 4-9 in Forged Tec Black (or get 4-8 in FTB all bent 1* weak and then bend the CBs 9-GW 1* strong). That might be a good way for you to save some money & not buy a full new set, but get slightly smaller scoring clubs that match the amazing DBM finish.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

7 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

I had an issue with the Forged Tec Blacks being chunky looking at address in the shorter irons so I went with the King Forged CBs from 5-GW and a Forged Tec Black 4i. I've been very happy with the decision, and was worried about the "players" irons being too hard for me to hit as a ~7 handicap, but I haven't had issues at all.

I'm not picking apart your post, but I'd like to use it to try and make a point.

I think the categorization of more compact shapes as "players" irons is such a misnomer. There are so many irons in this category that can easily be gamed by golfers of various handicaps. What's even worse is the industry-wide correlation between club category and handicap to begin with. It's not that this is altogether wrong, but it is a generalization that has become misleading for many golfers. Modern-day players clubs offer so much more forgiveness than their predecessors due to advances in manufacturing technology. Yes, there are still plenty of clubs in this category that are largely unchanged from irons of the past, but I think we're seeing less and less of them. I'm a big believer in playing what looks good to you, and what you enjoy playing. If you can get the ball in the air and moving toward the target with some consistency, you have a repeatable swing, and wild shots are infrequent, play whatever club you want to play. 

Maybe take a look at Mizuno's New Hot Metal Pro? Look to be very forgiving but not complete shovels. Less offset than the Forged. Probably the best tweener iron out there.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

38 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I'm not picking apart your post, but I'd like to use it to try and make a point.

I think the categorization of more compact shapes as "players" irons is such a misnomer. There are so many irons in this category that can easily be gamed by golfers of various handicaps. What's even worse is the industry-wide correlation between club category and handicap to begin with. It's not that this is altogether wrong, but it is a generalization that has become misleading for many golfers. Modern-day players clubs offer so much more forgiveness than their predecessors due to advances in manufacturing technology. Yes, there are still plenty of clubs in this category that are largely unchanged from irons of the past, but I think we're seeing less and less of them. I'm a big believer in playing what looks good to you, and what you enjoy playing. If you can get the ball in the air and moving toward the target with some consistency, you have a repeatable swing, and wild shots are infrequent, play whatever club you want to play. 

I appreciate this point and agree with it now. Forum readers, club hos and tinkerers can and should come to their own conclusions, and I think those who take the time to read and post on here would likely agree with your assertion. My only counter is that the conclusion to agree with you is easy only in hindsight, now that I have invested a substantial amount of time to test a dozen different irons, and have read similar comments to yours both here and on WRX which all helped encouraged me to go with a compact iron.

Having only been a serious forum reader for really less than a year, my only previous exposure to new clubs was in reading about occasional product releases which just contain marketing speak of the various golf companies, and occasionally trying out a friend's new club or a demo if the OEM happens to have a setup at the range when I go (which I think is representative of the average golfer but not the average active spy). IMO, the OEMs have created this generalization for the average golfer, and the various publications follow suit (most wanted SGI, GI, Players, CB, MB, Players distance etc). For those who either don't want to or can't invest the time to try/read everything out there, I think the generalizations are appropriate, even if not 100% correct for each golfer.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

2 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

I appreciate this point and agree with it now. Forum readers, club hos and tinkerers can and should come to their own conclusions, and I think those who take the time to read and post on here would likely agree with your assertion. My only counter is that the conclusion to agree with you is easy only in hindsight, now that I have invested a substantial amount of time to test a dozen different irons, and have read similar comments to yours both here and on WRX which all helped encouraged me to go with a compact iron.

Having only been a serious forum reader for really less than a year, my only previous exposure to new clubs was in reading about occasional product releases which just contain marketing speak of the various golf companies, and occasionally trying out a friend's new club or a demo if the OEM happens to have a setup at the range when I go (which I think is representative of the average golfer but not the average active spy). IMO, the OEMs have created this generalization for the average golfer, and the various publications follow suit (most wanted SGI, GI, Players, CB, MB, Players distance etc). For those who either don't want to or can't invest the time to try/read everything out there, I think the generalizations are appropriate, even if not 100% correct for each golfer.

I think that's a fair counter and I wouldn't dispute it at all. It's a bit irksome to me though that the industry continues to place clubs and players in these boxes rather than promoting the idea of experimentation and discovery.

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

I think that's a fair counter and I wouldn't dispute it at all. It's a bit irksome to me though that the industry continues to place clubs and players in these boxes rather than promoting the idea of experimentation and discovery.

They have to do something from a marketing standpoint to differentiate the models to make it easier for the a avg Joe golfer to understandstand. I don’t like the categories either but I don’t care what a company does from a marketing standpoint either as with anything they are more interested in the sale than the improvement of the golfer. Feed the ego of easier to play club or hitting a certain iron longer than their buddies same labeled iron even though designs maybe totally different 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions.   

I like the idea of a Forged Tec/CB combo set, something I might try to find.  

As for getting fitted, yes this would be the ideal way to go and something I say I am going to do every year, but never do.  Maybe this year I will.....

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

Not that I need to change....and not sure I really want to...but currently playing the Forged Tec Black irons and they have been incredible.  The only issue I have is the size of them, they just seem too large for my liking.  I'm a 10HC so I am not ready to jump into the players iron group yet as I still need some forgiveness.  So with that being said, whats do you recommend from the "new" product lines?  

Just received my black AP3s..........wow!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Archived