Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Most Interesting Masters Winner 2019?

Most interesting Masters Winner?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who would make the most interesting Masters Winner in 2019?

• Henrik Stenson
    • Tommy Fleetwood
    • Rickie Fowler
    • Rory McIlroy
    • El Tigre
    • Other (leave in thread)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Water. emoji6.png

Other than El Tigre, tell me that PR wouldn't be the most interesting storyline that would be talked about ad nauseam in the forum.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

20 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

What?  No love for Patrick Reed to defend?

None. At. All.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Is Hunter Mahan in the field?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I voted Tiger, but here are my top 3:
1. Tiger: This is not only the completion of his comeback, but keeps alive the chasing of Jack. Everything is bigger when Tiger is involved.
2. Rory: The completion of the career Slam is the obvious thing, but also helps to combat the perception that he's failing to cash in on his enormous talent.
3. Jordan: I know he'll have my interest at Augusta. I want Jordan to regain the form he had when it seemed like he just understood how to golf better than anyone else on the planet. A poor finish in the Masters would be enormously unsettling to me as a fan.

I'm also a Jordan fan, and would like to see him get back to his winning ways. If there's a tournament where he's likely to win, it's this one.
However, with that said, I think it's Rickie's time. But then again, Lefty is always down for some great play at Augusta. I would like to see Tiger in the hunt as well, hopefully he has a quick recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

15 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Harold Varner III.

Relatively unknown. Huge personality. Extremely likable. Hard working, "blue-collar" air about his game. Cinderella story.

I really like him a lot and root for him whenever he is in the field. I believe he did very well last year at the Players..?

http://www.masters.com/en_US/players/invitees_2019.html

Well, unless he wins a tournament between now and the week before the Masters, or cracks the Top 50 in the world by the week before the Masters (currently #150) your pick would be one helluva story, because he's not even in the field of invitees currently.  🙄

(He had a T7 at the Players last year, FYI  http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=16602)

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

It’s hard to root against Rose, especially with how well he plays at Augusta. Personally, I want to see another Immelman, Reed, Willett or Charl win. Let’s see the relatively unknown less popular guys pull it off.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

12 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It’s hard to root against Rose, especially with how well he plays at Augusta. Personally, I want to see another Immelman, Reed, Willett or Charl win. Let’s see the relatively unknown less popular guys pull it off.

no thank you. Classless annoying player who showed no respect whatsoever when he 'won' - handed to him - the Masters previously.

His treatment of Zach Johnson at The Open in St Andrews was embarrassing.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

What?  No love for Patrick Reed to defend?

I think Reed winning back to back years, especially after the Ryder Cup fiasco, is a dream scenario for the media.  (Other than Tiger winning, of course)

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

13 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

His treatment of Zach Johnson at The Open in St Andrews was embarrassing.

I'm not sure I follow?  Willett credits his pairing with ZJ at the 2015 Open as giving him the recipe for winning The Masters 9 months later.  Willett even named his son, who was born the week prior to his Master victory, "Zach!"

9 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I'm not sure I follow?  Willett credits his pairing with ZJ at the 2015 Open as giving him the recipe for winning The Masters 9 months later.  Willett even named his son, who was born the week prior to his Master victory, "Zach!"

He might very well have been inspired. My 'beef' is Willets angry reaction when Zachs driver slipped on the grass while he was picking up his tee and it clipped Willets foot. Willet showed anger and stormed off mouthing expletives, even Zach looked surprised.

He's a hothead who flies off the handle blaming bad shots on anything but himself. He's not an endearing character on or off the course.......in my opinion.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

9 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

He might very well have been inspired. My 'beef' is Willets angry reaction when Zachs driver slipped on the grass while he was picking up his tee and it clipped Willets foot. Willet showed anger and stormed off mouthing expletives, even Zach looked surprised.

He's a hothead who flies off the handle blaming bad shots on anything but himself. He's not an endearing character on or off the course.......in my opinion.

@perseveringgolfer I don't disagree with any of your statements concerning Willett, but I'm sure the way he was treated after his Masters "win" didn't help matters much, as we were all (including the media) of the thought that it was not won by Willett, but lost by Jordan.

• :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

6 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Much ado about nothing!  

17 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Harold Varner III.

Relatively unknown. Huge personality. Extremely likable. Hard working, "blue-collar" air about his game. Cinderella story.

I really like him a lot and root for him whenever he is in the field. I believe he did very well last year at the Players..?

Would be very interesting as of right now because he has yet to receive an invite.  😮

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

29 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

@perseveringgolfer I don't disagree with any of your statements concerning Willett, but I'm sure the way he was treated after his Masters "win" didn't help matters much, as we were all (including the media) of the thought that it was not won by Willett, but lost by Jordan.

The embarrassing way Willett and his Caddy behaved in the markers area while Jordan was having a meltdown on Amen corner didnt help. The green jacketed officials were firing lasers out their eyes. No class.

34 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Much ado about nothing!  

as a one off I would agree, but it's frequent and consistent on the European tour

8 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

The embarrassing way Willett and his Caddy behaved in the markers area while Jordan was having a meltdown on Amen corner didnt help. The green jacketed officials were firing lasers out their eyes. No class.

Agreed

2 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

as a one off I would agree, but it's frequent and consistent on the European tour

I definitely see where Willett can turn a lot of people off.  I also feel like Willett couldn't possibly care less.  But the incident with ZJ was over-sold and under-delivered by a media that is constantly looking to stir the pot.   

In my experience, those who are perceived to be a certain way, rarely live up to those perceptions.  Both positively and negatively.  However by the same token, if you're willing to watch and listen, people will show you exactly who they are.

4 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I definitely see where Willett can turn a lot of people off.  I also feel like Willett couldn't possibly care less.  But the incident with ZJ was over-sold and under-delivered by a media that is constantly looking to stir the pot.   

In my experience, those who are perceived to be a certain way, rarely live up to those perceptions.  Both positively and negatively.  However by the same token, if you're willing to watch and listen, people will show you exactly who they are.

I actually can't recall any 'media stirring' over the Open incident, I witnessed it myself and drew my own opinion. Similarly I have no perceptions about Garcia and formed my opinion due to first hand experience and live video footage.

I tend not to go by any media perceptions about anyone, if I did I 'should' loathe Patrick Reed, but I don't.

2 hours ago, GSwag said:

Well, unless he wins a tournament between now and the week before the Masters, or cracks the Top 50 in the world by the week before the Masters (currently #150) your pick would be one helluva story, because he's not even in the field of invitees currently.  🙄

(He had a T7 at the Players last year, FYI  http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=16602)

I figured that was the case honestly...Most likely has the same chances as Karl from Caddyshack making it in I reckon. Ah well...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

44 minutes ago, ga_pike said:

Would be very interesting as of right now because he has yet to receive an invite.  😮

Sigh...I know darn it...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

3 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I actually can't recall any 'media stirring' over the Open incident, I witnessed it myself and drew my own opinion. Similarly I have no perceptions about Garcia and formed my opinion due to first hand experience and live video footage.

I tend not to go by any media perceptions about anyone, if I did I 'should' loathe Patrick Reed, but I don't.

A quick Google search of the incident with ZJ brought a lot in return.  Even articles written after DW won The Masters seemed to still be stirring the pot a bit.  A full 9 months after the incident with ZJ and after DW named his son Zach. 

With that said, video footage can be, and often is, misleading.  The video footage I found in the Google search mentioned earlier shows the pair laughing while walking down the 14th hole at Saint Andrews.  

Either way, I'm certain neither Zach nor Danny have lost much sleep over it.  Neither should we!

For whatever reason I can’t access the poll but I like the topic because it points out the number of potentially interesting story lines.

Not my two personal favorites I would say that a Tiger or Rory wine would be the biggest needle movers beyond a doubt.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well, since I would be ostracized from the forums if I picked Reed, guess I'll just go with Rose.  ##2

Nah. We need different views. Might not all agree even half the time, but we need them anyways.

I used to like Patrick before he went Rouge a few years back calling himself a name on TV, then he disappeared to the European Tour. I still like his swing, probably just another misunderstood player like Bubba.

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Nah. We need different views. Might not all agree even half the time, but we need them anyways.

I used to like Patrick before he went Rouge a few years back calling himself a name on TV, then he disappeared to the European Tour. I still like his swing, probably just another misunderstood player like Bubba.

I'm still picking Rose.  You asked for an interesting storyline; Reed is it for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, unless he wins a tournament between now and the week before the Masters, or cracks the Top 50 in the world by the week before the Masters (currently #150) your pick would be one helluva story, because he's not even in the field of invitees currently.  

I love the Masters but this illustrates exactly why it has the weakest field and is the easiest of the Majors to win for those allowed to play in it. The mid level players who are fully capable of winning a major on a hot week, if the top players do not bring their A games, are systematically weeded out in favor of players with no chance to win or no players at all via a limited field.

The Masters will never be exposed because people are too emotionally attached and it’s formula insures top names on the leader board come Sunday plus the elimination of those mid levels guys means a surprise or two towards the top (with no threat of that Cinderella actually winning)

It’s brilliant!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived