Line On Your Golf Ball?

joen

Does anyone draw a line on their golf ball?  I know some people claim it doesn’t help, but I personally find it helpful for alignment.  Anyways, I always find the line I draw with a sharpie to be less than straight.....it wears off significantly in a round....you get marks on your club faces (I know...first world problem.). I got six dozen golf balls with the imprinted alignment aid from golfballs.com.   I really like this imprinted on the golf ball as it eliminates all the problems that I previously mentioned. Just thought if anyone else uses a line, you might want to check them out.   By the way, I do not work for nor do I have any financial interest in golf balls.com. Lol. 

F28D19C1-927D-4E98-91C3-F1930335CF12.png

• Like 2

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Yes, I like this idea a lot. I always align the line while putting so I can focus on speed and forget about the line. It is a little annoying having to redraw the line after a few holes, but it doesn't bother me too much.  I do think this is a viable product that I MAY try in the future. 

• Like 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I not only use the line for putting, I also use it when on the tee. I started doing it for putting and found that my alignment and aimpoint was considerably more consistent. After making the turn during a terrible driving round I decided to use the line on the tee to try to eliminate alignment thoughts when addressing the ball. My driving accuracy has greatly improved since that round. I found it also helps to visualize my swing path through the ball if I absolutely need to hit a draw or fade.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

So, as mentioned, the test that MGS did a few years ago shows no real statistical advantage for the line, but I too am a line guy. I don't draw one on there, I use the company stamp or my own text from a personalization to line it up. For example, I love the Truvis from Chrome Soft, but when the pattern interferes with the line it bugs me something fierce.

• Like 4

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

I’ve started experimenting with different lines. A single long line and even a “T” for aim and face square.

It seems to help but the ball really starts to look messy with Make, Model, #, and lines on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Having a bad knee has made using a line nearly impossible.  I can't get into a squat and line the line up for the putt.  I did for years.  Now that I have stopped using the line I have changed my putting style.  I read my putts by going to the low point on the line and looking back to find the point on the cup where the ball has to enter.  I look at that spot and gage how high above that line I have to aim for the ball to enter at my spot.  Then I stroke the putt.   I make way more putts now than I did when I putted with a line.

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 * Accra Tour Z TZ6 55 M3 pure 

Fairways: Callaway Maverick 15*  19*  Accra FX 2.0-100F M3 pure  

Hybrid: Callaway Maverick 4 Hybrid Accra FX 2.0-100H60 M3 pure  

PXG Gen 3 0311 P 5-Gap  Fujikura Pro 75 REG pure

Cleveland CG 12 RTG DSG  54/10 & 58/10  Refurbished with raw faces and legal grooves

Putter: Scotty Camron Special Select Fastback 1.5  Stock pistol grip 34" w/Stability shaft

Ball: Pro V1x 

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I use a line.  Tried going without for a while and my putts per green went up.   I draw it with a sharpie and it generally holds up most of the round.  If it gets too faded,  I just put the ball back in the template and redraw.  

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I used to use a line, but now don't bother with it.  I do line up the logo in general direction, but it's more for a focal point than a path.

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I'm the opposite. I like to see nothing so I turn the ball when putting so it's a clean area I look at. Anything else is just distracting.

• Like 4

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'm the opposite. I like to see nothing so I turn the ball when putting so it's a clean area I look at. Anything else is just distracting.

Same.
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I like it. That’s like the totally opposite of just about all the responses. Does it bother you on full shots where you can’t move the ball and are stuck with the distraction of the logo?  

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Tried the line but I found myself constantly second guessing what I was looking at. Much easier for me without it.

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

10 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I not only use the line for putting, I also use it when on the tee. I started doing it for putting and found that my alignment and aimpoint was considerably more consistent. After making the turn during a terrible driving round I decided to use the line on the tee to try to eliminate alignment thoughts when addressing the ball. My driving accuracy has greatly improved since that round. I found it also helps to visualize my swing path through the ball if I absolutely need to hit a draw or fade.

I'll have to try that. Up to this point I've just just it for putting. I draw my own line vs. buying balls with line on them already - they seem to last several rounds. 

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

10 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I do this with the logo or text, but for a slightly different reason. If I place the text/logo slighting back left (I'm a righty), it reminds me to come a little from the inside to get a small draw. 

• Love 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.2 (Last Updated July 30, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

2 hours ago, joen said:

I like it. That’s like the totally opposite of just about all the responses. Does it bother you on full shots where you can’t move the ball and are stuck with the distraction of the logo?  

With driver I move it so it's 'clean', with any other shots it doesn't bother me. It's the fact I can adjust it on the green and it suits my preference but if I had to putt with a logo or line I would, I just prefer not to.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I used to be a line player all the time. But late last season I mixed it up and just started placing the logo of the ball perpendicular to my start line. It helped me square up my clubface so much better as I had a tendency to setup a little right 

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: MIM Tour Irons 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM Black 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

Depending on the green, I use the manufacturer's line for putting.   If there's a good spot 6" - 8" in front of the ball on my intended line I can use that to start the putt.  If there isn't a spot I can focus on, I'll use the line to make sure I get lined up.  I can't seem to get my head located so I'm seeing the line properly, it always looks further right than it is.

• Like 1

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I tried it for awhile and I still suck at putting, so being that I am as lazy as Fred Couples admits to being (he told Feherty, "I do a lot of nothing, and I am VERY good at it.") I just stopped doing it.  I still have the sharpies and the ball alignment tool in my bag.  Maybe if I am bored one day and waiting on your group to clear in front of me I can color lines on my golf balls again.

• Like 1
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I used to draw a line all the way around my ball to use for alignment. I stopped 3 years ago to test whether it was helping me or not.

I have not gone back to the line since I am putting better. I also think no line speeds up play. I see too many guys fiddling with the ball trying to get it in the exact alignment and taking way too long to get the shot off. 

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*    3-Wd: Taylormade M1-3HL    Hybrid: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 - 18*    Irons: Callaway Apex CF-19 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 50, 56, 58    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider    Ball : Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

I'm not a line guy. I used to be, but I found that I always had to feel like it was lined up perfectly and it drove me crazy. Despite no longer gaming the SPIDER Tour putter, the one thing I liked about that was no alignment aid on top. Felt like I was more free when I was putting. I was more focused on my intended line and putting a good stroke on the ball as opposed to making sure the putter and the ball was lined up.

• Like 1

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :ping-small: G410 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Hybrids: :ping-small: G410 19*  w/ Tensei Blue

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX919 HMP 5-AW Forged w/ Modus 120s

Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX4 55*

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Ten 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5