TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Tip Of The Day - 3

Good read chisag posted.

Putting is an enigma to so many. I see and play with a lot of different people or varying skill level. Those who are generally good off the tee and hit their irons pretty good get to the putting green and everything seems to unravel. And yes, I see a lot of wristy strokes where the putter head leads the hands. That generally doesn't seem to work out well for most folks. I suggest giving chisag's advice a try if you're one of those.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

...just picked up a 38" counterbalanced putter (I was fit for a 34") and really am liking the stability and the ability to let my arms hang naturally and use a pendulum stroke when choking down 3-4 inches. can't wait for the snow to melt and give @chisag's drill a try!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

6 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

So would you say that the stroke would need to change on longer putts, Let’s say 40 feet and further out or would you use the same technique? 

...Yup, same technique just a longer backswing and follow thru. That said, on some slower muni greens you may need just a little wrist hinge, which is OK as long as you hinge the same in both directions and the tee continues to point to the left and right side of your chest. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 3/5/2019 at 11:38 PM, chisag said:

...  I will admit putting can be unique. There are many ways to get the ball to roll into the hole. But there are also many ways to almost assure that ball will go anywhere but the hole. When I taught golf I gave a free short game lesson with every 5 lesson program. By far the biggest mistake I saw and continue to see is golfers breaking down their wrists, especially the right wrist for a right handed golfer. In the old days when greens were shaggy and slow, a pop stroke where the stroke was a flip of the wrist and it was successfully used by some on tour. Some were legendary putters. There are 2 reasons why this has a 99% chance of not working for you. 1) Pros roll hundreds of putts every single day and their feel and control is fine tuned and constantly maintained, so a flick of the wrist worked for some of them, but only with consistent daily repetition. 2) Todays greens are so much faster and smoother and it is very rare to see a Pro with a wristy stroke. 

Great tip, easy to practice. I have heard lately that only abt a 1ft backstroke is needed with a longer through stroke. I tend to be more proportional from backstroke to though stroke.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

This ties in really well with a great putting lesson I received in December.

Imagine the shaft of the putter is an extension of your arms. Encouraging the pendulum feel is a carryover and helps ingrain this idea.

With light grip pressure and an intermediate target my putting was night and day.

Awesome tip, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I start off putting practice, whether just practicing or prior to playing, with one-handed putts with my right (trail) hand from 3 feet.  Tiger does it, so it must be good, right?  😉

The idea is to hold the angle in my wrist; not let my wrist break down.  I use only 2 balls, and putt from the four points of a compass.  I need to make all 8 putts.  I keep going until I do.  I have found that if I miss several putts, I will have a bad putting round unless I can fix it before playing.  If I'm just practicing that day, I will move back to 4 feet after making all 8 putts and repeat.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 11:38 PM, chisag said:

... I feel the best way to have a repeatable stroke is to allow your arms to hang naturally, then just like a pendulum, swing them back and forward the same length and same tempo going forward as your tempo going back. This gives you the best opportunity to hit your putt the same distance over and over again.

That's the key that I try to practice.

Interestingly, though, had two different instructors recently advise me to loosen up the wrists a bit vs trying to "lock them out" through the putting stroke. Seems to be helping!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

7 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

That's the key that I try to practice.

Interestingly, though, had two different instructors recently advise me to loosen up the wrists a bit vs trying to "lock them out" through the putting stroke. Seems to be helping!

... I have an extremely light grip, actually barely holding on. That helps me swing the putter like a pendulum because the weight of the putter is what controls the pendulum. It is a little problematic in strong winds as I have to grip tighter and I lose the pendulum feel, but the majority of the time it works very well. 

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have an extremely light grip, actually barely holding on. That helps me swing the putter like a pendulum because the weight of the putter is what controls the pendulum. It is a little problematic in strong winds as I have to grip tighter and I lose the pendulum feel, but the majority of the time it works very well. 

When I set up to a putt I have to remind myself to take a very slightly firmer(!) grip, as I've held the putter too loose so that it actually twisted slightly on impact.... 😞

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

8 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

When I set up to a putt I have to remind myself to take a very slightly firmer(!) grip, as I've held the putter too loose so that it actually twisted slightly on impact.... 😞

... Hit the center and it won't twist. 😉  Of course we all have to find the grip pressure that is most comfortable and enables us to roll the ball the most consistently. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Hit the center and it won't twist😉

Ohhhhhh! So that's the secret... 😆

I'm working on it, Coach!! Thx!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg