TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter fitting...worth it?

ballplayer002003

I too am planning on doing a putter fitting this year. While I’d consider myself a good putter (unless I’ve left myself with some seriously long putts I’m under 2 putts per home average) I KNOW that my lie angle is off, as my toe is up at address. I also noticed that my stoke is a little wobbly on the start from watching the putter head in slow motion, which suggests I need more weight in the grip.

So even though I putt well and love the putter, I’m going to get fit because I want to know the tendencies I have and what my strokes do aim looks like.

I think I read somewhere recently that if you can’t putt a ball consistently down a yard stick without it falling off you’re off by 1at least 1 degree on your line and miss a 10 foot putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

My take on some of the posts.

1. Will a putter fitting make you drop 3 strokes a round? Maybe, depends on your putting issues. You may be better off with lessons. If you are a good putter probably not per round but over several rounds.

2. The advantage of a properly fit putter is that it should work for you without manipulation to consistently roll the ball at a certain speed in a specific direction. If you can’t control speed and direction you will struggle reading greens.
3. With a putt all you can control is speed and direction. The ball rolls on the ground and has outside influences that impact whether the ball goes in the hole. With every putt You want to be able to say I rolled the ball the way I wanted to.
4. While you use the putter more than any other in the bag you probably won’t separate yourself score wise from an equal handicap players unless you have lots of three putts or miss a lot of close range putts.

Fitting can be accomplished lots of ways. Some people are number driven others feel and looks. Neither is right or wrong but for me, I want to understand the numbers so I can adjust the putter to manage and minimize my variations in rotation, path , aim, impact fact angle, tempo, stroke length, etc. by minimizing those things I am on my way to a better stroke, better green reading, and better long term performance.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Don’t worry about putter fitting. They all play the same. Just find one that you like the look of that makes you feel confident.

Seriously, get fit at some point. Even “good putters” can benefit from stroke analysis and slight or significant putter modification. You can either compensate with changing your stroke to fit a putter, or get a putter that naturally fits what you do. This really shouldn’t be a question. Get fit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Heresy!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

A couple of weeks ago, I did a fitting with Artisan Golf. It was worth it.

I cannot begin to count the number of putts I hit that day. We used every putter head model, every sight line and changed the weights 100 times. 

I play left handed and I'm right eye dominant...I learned I need the alignment mark on the top of the putter as opposed to the bottom flange. With a heavier overall weight, my distance control is much improved. With extra weight in the grip, again I had much better distance control. 

If you get a good fitting, you will get a putter that fits you in length, loft, lie, weight, style, alignment aid, and finish. 

I have always been a good putter, but I can always get better. By having a putter I know is fit correctly, I take out any doubt about the tool and will putt with more confidence.

Putter fitting was tremendous for me. I was using the correct type of putter, but I needed a change in loft. I went from 0* to -3.7 and it was game changing. I dropped over 2 strokes the next season. So many variables.... And a good putter fitting will definitely help drop strokes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Archived