Putter fitting...worth it?

I had a putter fitting in December at Club Champion and to be honest, it left me wanting.  I did find out that my loft on my putter was somehow way off, but the arc and stroke I put on the ball is pretty good (You'd think I'd make more putts).  However, my putter seemed very good for my stroke already so they didn't have me try anything new.  The data from SAM was somewhat nice to have and it's good knowing that my putter fits my stroke, but really it did nothing for me.  

As I'm reading others' experiences, it seems like I was short changed a bit with my "putter fitting" so I may contact them again.

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

18 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I know the putter is the most important club in my bag and I understand driver kick points and shaft flex and launch angles etc...but what is the biggest reason why I should get fitted for a putter?   

It's a numbers thing. If you play to par by the design of the course, you'll use your putter for 36 of your 72 strokes. At most you'll use your driver only 14, more likely a few less than that. Why wouldn't you want to get a more detailed fitting on the club you'll use most often?

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Rossie

• SPY VIP

Don’t worry about putter fitting. They all play the same. Just find one that you like the look of that makes you feel confident.

[emoji23]
Seriously, get fit at some point. Even “good putters” can benefit from stroke analysis and slight or significant putter modification. You can either compensate with changing your stroke to fit a putter, or get a putter that naturally fits what you do. This really shouldn’t be a question. Get fit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

17 hours ago, Larryd3 said:

I had a putter fitting at Club Champion in Orlando late December and it was eye opening.  I really learned a lot about my stroke and why I tend to miss putts on the left side.  I was using a face balanced putter and a putter with more toe hang was much better fit for me.  Also needed very low loft and some lie adjustments.  It was money well spent.  I'd highly recommend it.  The SAM putter system is really good.  

Good to know!  Thanks

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

...you work so hard to get the ball close to the hole; don't let a poorly/incorrectly fit putter ruin it for you!

• Like 2

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

...you work so hard to get the ball close to the hole; don't let a poorly/incorrectly fit putter ruin it for you!

I'm going to have to give my wife that line and see if it works.  It's a really good perspective, though.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Just now, 00sportsman said:

I'm going to have to give my wife that line and see if it works.  It's a really good perspective, though.

tell her that you'll be home sooner since you'll play quicker by taking fewer putts...and might even come home with a pocket full of $ too!  😄

• Like 2
  • Love 1

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

1 hour ago, gaussman1 said:

Maybe!
Seriously an off the rack putter can either be a poor fit for stroke, aim, or both. Edel tries to fit for aim, Ping and others try to fit for stroke, no one really can fit for green reading tendencies and how you see putts so there's a lot of potential variables in the "why am I missing putts" conundrum. Getting a proper fit at least starts to eliminate variables.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I do read greens pretty well, and I get the speed correct most of the time (I am more of a die it into the cup then a slam it into the back).  As we all know, eliminating variables is a great thing in this game.  Great point!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

tell her that you'll be home sooner since you'll play quicker by taking fewer putts...and might even come home with a pocket full of $ too!  😄

Don't mention the cash part, keep it for some new equipment.

• Like 1

I too am planning on doing a putter fitting this year. While I’d consider myself a good putter (unless I’ve left myself with some seriously long putts I’m under 2 putts per home average) I KNOW that my lie angle is off, as my toe is up at address. I also noticed that my stoke is a little wobbly on the start from watching the putter head in slow motion, which suggests I need more weight in the grip.

So even though I putt well and love the putter, I’m going to get fit because I want to know the tendencies I have and what my strokes do aim looks like.

I think I read somewhere recently that if you can’t putt a ball consistently down a yard stick without it falling off you’re off by 1at least 1 degree on your line and miss a 10 foot putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope

My take on some of the posts.

1. Will a putter fitting make you drop 3 strokes a round? Maybe, depends on your putting issues. You may be better off with lessons. If you are a good putter probably not per round but over several rounds.

2. The advantage of a properly fit putter is that it should work for you without manipulation to consistently roll the ball at a certain speed in a specific direction. If you can’t control speed and direction you will struggle reading greens.
3. With a putt all you can control is speed and direction. The ball rolls on the ground and has outside influences that impact whether the ball goes in the hole. With every putt You want to be able to say I rolled the ball the way I wanted to.
4. While you use the putter more than any other in the bag you probably won’t separate yourself score wise from an equal handicap players unless you have lots of three putts or miss a lot of close range putts.

Fitting can be accomplished lots of ways. Some people are number driven others feel and looks. Neither is right or wrong but for me, I want to understand the numbers so I can adjust the putter to manage and minimize my variations in rotation, path , aim, impact fact angle, tempo, stroke length, etc. by minimizing those things I am on my way to a better stroke, better green reading, and better long term performance.

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Don’t worry about putter fitting. They all play the same. Just find one that you like the look of that makes you feel confident.

[emoji23]
Seriously, get fit at some point. Even “good putters” can benefit from stroke analysis and slight or significant putter modification. You can either compensate with changing your stroke to fit a putter, or get a putter that naturally fits what you do. This really shouldn’t be a question. Get fit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Heresy![emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

A couple of weeks ago, I did a fitting with Artisan Golf. It was worth it.

I cannot begin to count the number of putts I hit that day. We used every putter head model, every sight line and changed the weights 100 times. 

I play left handed and I'm right eye dominant...I learned I need the alignment mark on the top of the putter as opposed to the bottom flange. With a heavier overall weight, my distance control is much improved. With extra weight in the grip, again I had much better distance control. 

If you get a good fitting, you will get a putter that fits you in length, loft, lie, weight, style, alignment aid, and finish. 

I have always been a good putter, but I can always get better. By having a putter I know is fit correctly, I take out any doubt about the tool and will putt with more confidence.

• Like 1

Putter fitting was tremendous for me. I was using the correct type of putter, but I needed a change in loft. I went from 0* to -3.7 and it was game changing. I dropped over 2 strokes the next season. So many variables.... And a good putter fitting will definitely help drop strokes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink: