TESTERS WANTED! ×

USGA golf ball conforming list spin categories

11iron

USGA lists golf balls on their conforming list as L M H spin for driver and short iron.  I can't find anywhere that states the RPM ranges for these categories, and they have not answered my inquiry.  Does anyone have this info?

Sounds like he's looking for a definition of the spin ratings - L = X,XXX RPM, M = X,XXX RPM, H = X,XXX RPM... I find it curious as well that this is not defined.

@11iron, is there a specific reason you need to know this? With all the variables involved to produce a given spin rate, it doesn't seem like targeting any specific RPM would be overly beneficial. Seems like the generalizations of low, medium, high and all the in-between would work just fine. Just curious is all.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

Sounds like he's looking for a definition of the spin ratings - L = X,XXX RPM, M = X,XXX RPM, H = X,XXX RPM... I find it curious as well that this is not defined.

@11iron, is there a specific reason you need to know this? With all the variables involved to produce a given spin rate, it doesn't seem like targeting any specific RPM would be overly beneficial. Seems like the generalizations of low, medium, high and all the in-between would work just fine. Just curious is all.

You got it: RPM for each rating.

May help some (would definitely help me) with ball understanding and potentially focus selection based on extrapolated personal launch monitor spin data.  I can appreciate where the letters only would certainly be beneficial to most.  

Might be hard to quantify with a number. The spin is player and strike dependent. For example if the list said 8000 is low, 9000 is medium, and 10000 is high for a wedge but I spin the ball labeled as high only 8000 are you gaining value from being provided a number?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I believe the L, M, H are taken from OEM literature.

USGA testing is for the purpose of conformity, they do not compare balls to one another as part of their test. Is X ball the right size, weight, symmetrical, and within distance/velocity standards for their robot arms test swing. They record spin as part of the symmetry test for consistency between balls and symmetrical construction, but it's not a parameter they define with ranges. If I read the procedures right, it's also recorded for initial launch conditions because they use launch monitors now instead of outdoor ranges. Spin is used for calculating distance hit, but it's not a tested value.

Their procedures are published:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/equipment-standards/test-protocols-for-equipment-9df6d04f.html

Also a video version:

https://www.usga.org/videos/2015/03/06/testing-golf-balls-for-conformance-4098088465001.html

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Might be hard to quantify with a number. The spin is player and strike dependent. For example if the list said 8000 is low, 9000 is medium, and 10000 is high for a wedge but I spin the ball labeled as high only 8000 are you gaining value from being provided a number?

Yes indeed spin on any given shot is player and strike dependent.  That is not what these numbers are.  They are representative of the ball's relative performance in general.  How wide a range the M is would be valuable in comparing balls for some so inclined.  You may not be that person, and I completely understand that, but I most definitely could extract value with the numbers.  

3 hours ago, Angry Yeti said:

I believe the L, M, H are taken from OEM literature.

USGA testing is for the purpose of conformity, they do not compare balls to one another as part of their test. Is X ball the right size, weight, symmetrical, and within distance/velocity standards for their robot arms test swing. They record spin as part of the symmetry test for consistency between balls and symmetrical construction, but it's not a parameter they define with ranges. If I read the procedures right, it's also recorded for initial launch conditions because they use launch monitors now instead of outdoor ranges. Spin is used for calculating distance hit, but it's not a tested value.

Their procedures are published:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/equipment-standards/test-protocols-for-equipment-9df6d04f.html

Also a video version:

https://www.usga.org/videos/2015/03/06/testing-golf-balls-for-conformance-4098088465001.html

I have seen the test protocols before, but not the video, thank you.  While you may be correct that L M H are taken from OEM literature, I would be surprised if that were the case.  I understand they are not testing spin for conformity, but they could easily categorize the balls based on their readings.  Doesn't look like anyone knows for sure (at least not thus far), so I will hope that the USGA eventually answers my question.  Thank you for the link to the video.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:25 PM, 11iron said:

USGA lists golf balls on their conforming list as L M H spin for driver and short iron.  I can't find anywhere that states the RPM ranges for these categories, and they have not answered my inquiry.  Does anyone have this info?

I finally heard back from the USGA on my question.  To close the loop, while the USGA measures spin in their conformity tests, they do not use this data for these ratings.  These ratings (as Angry Yeti postulated) are merely subjective OEM ratings, meaning a M ball could in fact be higher spin than an H ball.  

Archived