Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Lynx VT Irons

GolfSpy Barbajo

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Very interesting!

thanks mate!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Hit 60 degrees in New Hampshire yesterday - got to hit outside for the first time in forever, even if it was off mats. 

Still enjoying the VT's - am able to hit the high or low - still with a nice draw. Distance is hard to judge with relatively cold and beat-to-hell range balls (Sagamore has the moteliest collection of range balls I've seen), but I liked the flight and if I had to guess I'd say distance is acceptable to good. As long as it's consistent and not stupid short, we're good.

Been particularly impressed with how easy the long irons are to hit. The set Lynx sent me includes a 4-iron, which isn't part of their standard set, and it launches beautifully and easily. I'm trying out the Wilson D7's at the same time and I had no problem hitting the Lynx 4-iron as consistently as I was hitting the D7 5-iron (longest iron in my set). 

Did notice something hitting outdoors that I didn't notice in the enclosed portion of the range - when you hit the VT's toward the toe there's an unusual metallic "clink" sound. It was weird the first time I heard it, but it is noticeable. I didn't find it off-putting because the results were still really good, but I would imagine some might find it annoying. I haven't hit the PING G700's, but I've heard from people who have the sound bothers them - I'm guessing that might be the fate of a hollow-body iron. Hit is square and the sound - and as a result the feel - is a little different from a true forged iron (only the face of the VT is forged) - but not one I mind all that much.  The D7, on the other hand, feels very nice when you hit it square and a tad harsh when you don't, but it doesn't have the metallic clink. 

Still no word on US availability or pricing, but Lynx promises that all will be revealed in May. For what it's worth, they've changed their Twitter handle from LynxGolfUK to LynxGolfGlobal, but we'll see what happens. 

I read somewhere - I think it was Twitter - refer to Lynx as a mom-and-pop outfit - and from the context it was not meant as a compliment. Truth is, Lynx is a mom-and-pop outfit, quite literally. It's a small time operation run by a husband and wife team, with all the limitations inherent with said operation. I'm guessing most of their lineup is made up of open models - although they say the VT and the new Switch Face Prowler driver are their own patented designs, but again, what does all that really mean?

So far, I can say the VT irons are definitely in the running for the starting lineup this year - along with a progressive Srixon set and - oddly enough - the D7's. And maybe the Bridgestones. And maybe my 1993 Hogan Edge's. And maybe the MacGregor VIP's. 

I think I have a problem....

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I remember when i first starting playing golf 20 years, I wanted a set of Black Cat irons more than anything.

Be interesting to see if they can catch on here

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the change to play 18 today - bagged the VT Prowler irons for the first time (I think it may be the first time a new Lynx iron has ever actually hit the turf in New England, but that's just conjecture). Some impressions:

- They definitely have a distinctive sound/feel that will take some getting used to - it's a metallic clink with anything other than a dead center strike.

- Like any iron, the further on the toe you hit it, the more distance you lose. I've played irons that are more forgiving with that type of strike, but these are first-wife level forgiving on a toe hit - the ball goes nowhere.

- Nail it, and these things fly - had a handful of the kind of swings that make you want to play more golf, and was more than pleased with the distance, flight and spin. 

- 4 and 5 irons are exceptionally easy to launch - the combination of the low CG due to the hollow body and the relatively light weight/stiff tip of the KBS Tour V led to some good results - better than hybrids (I think I hate hybrids - that is all)

- Damn near holed a PW from 130 or so (this was after hitting one off the toe and into the drink!) - since it was on 18 and the last hole of the day, I left feeling happier than if the shot in the drink was the lasting memory. 

Verdict - I'll play them again. I enjoy the novelty of playing them and they're fine irons. Are they up there with the Srixon's I've been gaming? Don't think so, but for the price (if we can ever get them here) they're not a bad option and they look seriously badass. 

Playing again Sunday - thinking of taking the Wilson D7's out for a spin - put some KBS C-Tapers in them, so we'll see...

And not for nothing, played the front 9 with the Tour Edge EXS driver and the back 9 with the Wilson Cortex. I liked both drivers, but I liked the Cortex a little more, but I think I like my old Mizuno JPX 900 better than both. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Dallas Golf does carry the new Lynx stuff. They had a few sets of VT when I called them almost a year ago.

I was in a long thread about the VTs when they first came out. The prevailing theory (sorry, no concrete proof, but a lot of insider input) is that the Chinese manufacturer took the Hireko Dynacraft Prophet MB muscle blade design of 2017 and made an open model out of it. It is obvious when you also note the similarity of the Lynx Prowler CB forged irons to the 2015 Dynacraft Prophet MB forged. 

I am a huge Prophet MB fan, and must admit the Lynx Prowler VTs look like a fantastic cosmetic improvement to a great performing head.

7 hours ago, Sparky14 said:

Dallas Golf does carry the new Lynx stuff. They had a few sets of VT when I called them almost a year ago.

I was in a long thread about the VTs when they first came out. The prevailing theory (sorry, no concrete proof, but a lot of insider input) is that the Chinese manufacturer took the Hireko Dynacraft Prophet MB muscle blade design of 2017 and made an open model out of it. It is obvious when you also note the similarity of the Lynx Prowler CB forged irons to the 2015 Dynacraft Prophet MB forged. 

I am a huge Prophet MB fan, and must admit the Lynx Prowler VTs look like a fantastic cosmetic improvement to a great performing head.

We wrote a blog post about that - spoke with both Hireko and Lynx about that specifically. Here's a link:

https://mygolfspy.com/behind-the-curtain-just-who-is-designing-your-golf-clubs/

In a nutshell, the Lynx Prowler CB iron - NOT the VT Prowler - is the iron in question. Lynx asserted that it was an open mold/open model from their Chinese manufacturer and anyone could sell it. It was pretty much identical to the DynaCraft Prophet...which Hireko discontinued in 2017. Hireko says it was their own design and mold, and their factory asserts it did not make the Prowler iron for Lynx. As the article suggests, it's a fair bet to say that somehow that design hopped from one factory to another and maybe even another, and THAT factory considered it an open mold and sold it to Lynx. The more we learned about the nature of 2nd tier Chinese manufacturing (meaning factories not directly associated with a leading OEM), the ore plausible this scenario became.

In the article, Steve Elford - Lynx CEO - says they chose not to spend the money to create their own mold for the Prowler CB forged, simply because they didn't want to spend the money to make their own unique mold for an iron they knew they weren't going to sell tons of. 

According to Lynx, the VT irons are their own patent, co-designed by their R&D director Kevin Woolgar and the R&D department of their Chinese manufacturer. It's a hollow-body iron, so there's nothing crazy unique about it, but it's a pretty good stick. As far as I can tell, Lynx features two unique products - the VT irons and the new VT driver with Switch Face. 

Lynx did dump the Prowler CB forged for 2019 and replaced it with a new iron - I have some pictures and will upload them later. You'll smile when you see them....

The new Black Cat irons - as pointed out earlier in this thread - bear a striking resemblance to the new Sub70 699 irons. I showed them to Jason Hilland of Sub70, and he pointed out that while they do look similar, they are not, in fact, the same. They may even have come from the same factory, but there are enough differences from what he could see in pictures to know. Jason told me - and I have no reason to doubt him - that he owns the mold for his specific irons, but they were co-designed with the factory, which is a very common practice for small brands that simply don't have their own R&D muscle. The small brand comes up with the general idea of what they want - be it a drawing or a set of performance characteristics - and then they work with the engineers at their Chinese supplier to come up with the design. In the case of the 699 irons, Jason says the internal technology - including the polymer filling and internal design - is owned by his factory and they can sell it to anyone - but the specific iron design and the specific mold for the 699 irons belongs to him. He adds there's nothing to stop the supplier - in fact, there's nothing wrong whatsoever with the supplier - providing that internal technology to anyone of its customers that may want it. 

In this case, yeah, the two irons look pretty similar but technically they are not, in fact, the same. The differences may be minor, but Jason was able to pick them out pretty quickly to the point where he was certain the irons did not come from his mold. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 months later...

Hey John, I'm living vicariously through this post.. nearly daily. I'm in the Prowler VT test group. This is where I come to calm my anxiety as we're patiently waiting for bits and pieces of info from Lynx and to find out when our clubs are on their way.

You wouldn't happen to have any further comments or updates would you?

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Hey John, I'm living vicariously through this post.. nearly daily. I'm in the Prowler VT test group. This is where I come to calm my anxiety as we're patiently waiting for bits and pieces of info from Lynx and to find out when our clubs are on their way.

You wouldn't happen to have any further comments or updates would you?

I really enjoy hitting these irons. You’ll find they’re not the most forgiving club in the planet, for them again they’re a kinda-sorta blade. You’ll hear it if you mishit - it’s that metallic clank sound I mentioned - and distance loss with an off center hit is noticeable (and harsh when there’s a pond in front of the green 🤯🤯).

Hit em pure though, and you’ll like them a lot.

Not sure I’d say they’re crazy long - but I will say the long irons are among the easiest to hit of the sets I’ve tried. The 4 and 5 irons are GI Level easy to get airborne.

They’re in my 2019 rotation - I usually screw around with irons and then sometime by mid-July settle on a set to play for the rest of the season.

Enjoy them - they’re a fun iron to hit!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I really enjoy hitting these irons. You’ll find they’re not the most forgiving club in the planet, for them again they’re a kinda-sorta blade. You’ll hear it if you mishit - it’s that metallic clank sound I mentioned - and distance loss with an off center hit is noticeable (and harsh when there’s a pond in front of the green ).

Hit em pure though, and you’ll like them a lot.

Not sure I’d say they’re crazy long - but I will say the long irons are among the easiest to hit of the sets I’ve tried. The 4 and 5 irons are GI Level easy to get airborne.

They’re in my 2019 rotation - I usually screw around with irons and then sometime by mid-July settle on a set to play for the rest of the season.

Enjoy them - they’re a fun iron to hit!

Good deal! I'm sure I speak for the other guys in the group by saying I'm about as excited as waiting for my wife to give birth to my 2 kids.

I've been playing minimally offset forged player style CB's for the past 3 years (Maltby DBM's). Not quite Cobra King forged small, but MP SC-18 ish size. I'm hoping that these won't be a step in the wrong direction but my premise with this testing is to be the guy who uses player irons, knows there might be easier clubs to hit that might definitely help my game, but refuses to go to GI because of nothing but stinky pride .. If I can break 80 with them, then it will be a successful outcome. Additionally I think the VT's are about 2-3° stronger lofts.

You wouldn't happen to have any reference between these and any other clubs would you! I.e. Titleist T-MBs or Ping i500s, etc? After this post I promise to stop with the questions

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Good deal! I'm sure I speak for the other guys in the group by saying I'm about as excited as waiting for my wife to give birth to my 2 kids.

I've been playing minimally offset forged player style CB's for the past 3 years (Maltby DBM's). Not quite Cobra King forged small, but MP SC-18 ish size. I'm hoping that these won't be a step in the wrong direction but my premise with this testing is to be the guy who uses player irons, knows there might be easier clubs to hit that might definitely help my game, but refuses to go to GI because of nothing but stinky pride .. If I can break 80 with them, then it will be a successful outcome. Additionally I think the VT's are about 2-3° stronger lofts.

You wouldn't happen to have any reference between these and any other clubs would you! I.e. Titleist T-MBs or Ping i500s, etc? After this post I promise to stop with the questions

My wife is getting annoyed that I keep watching the same reviews over and over! Lol. I’m more excited then the night before the first round of the year!

I agree with Stu any comparisons would be great.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Lynx Parallax were the first irons I bought new and the irons I made my first hole-in-one. I remember Ernie Els playing those and, of course, Freddie Couples. It was really nice to see the VT - they look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer