TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can a lot of flopping damage my 4-iron?

jhak

This might seem odd, so let me explain. I've always had a lot of love for unusual shots. I drive off the deck and from the rough couple times almost every round, although I play off 16 or so...

Recently, I discovered that I can flop the 4-iron and I've been doing quite a lot of that to introduce some fun to these winter indoors days. I don't slam it to the ground quite as hard as I would a wedge, but I'm still getting worried about the club. Could this bend the shaft or mess with any of the other angles (lie, loft, etc.)? The club in question is MP-54 with Dynamic Gold R300.

Thanks for your insight, and happy Women's Day to all the lady golfers of the forums! :)

"What do you got the 3-wood out for?" - Arnie

ST190 8.5°, ATMOS Red 5  | Aeroburner 4H  |  MP-54 4i-Pw, DG R300  |  Vokey SM5 50° and 54°, SM6 58°  |  Odyssey Versa #1W Black

This might seem odd, so let me explain. I've always had a lot of love for unusual shots. I drive off the deck and from the rough couple times almost every round, although I play off 16 or so...
Recently, I discovered that I can flop the 4-iron and I've been doing quite a lot of that to introduce some fun to these winter indoors days. I don't slam it to the ground quite as hard as I would a wedge, but I'm still getting worried about the club. Could this bend the shaft or mess with any of the other angles (lie, loft, etc.)? The club in question is MP-54 with Dynamic Gold R300.
Thanks for your insight, and happy Women's Day to all the lady golfers of the forums! :)
Yes! Or actually, maybe! Probably depends on whether you're skidding it underneath the ball or slamming it down off the ground/floor/hitting mat.
But anyone willing to flop a 4 iron is absolutely enough of a golf nerd to know how to check their own lofts and lies. If that is not in your repertoire it needs to be!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

It shouldnt make a huge difference. But if youre worried, you could always get the loft and lie checked for free at most golf shops.

M5 7.5Deg UST Proforce V2 tipped 1" strong 70g X

M5 Rocket 3 14deg UST Proforce V2  70g X

GaparLo 2 17deg KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X

4-iron Titleist T-MB Project X 6.5

5-Pw Taylormade P7TW Project X 6.5

52 Slate Blue Vokey SM7 Project X 6.5

56 Jet Black Vokey SM7 Project X 6.0

60 HiToe Mill Grind Project X 6.0

MP-54's are a fairly soft forged club.  I'd recommend getting loft and lie's check at least at the start of every season anyway.

It kind of depends what you are flopping a 4i on surface wise.  If you are flopping from rough by cutting under the ball there probably isn't much danger.  If you are hitting off range mats or slamming your club in to the ground then absolutely it could slowly change loft and lie.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

MP-54's are a fairly soft forged club.  I'd recommend getting loft and lie's check at least at the start of every season anyway.
It kind of depends what you are flopping a 4i on surface wise.  If you are flopping from rough by cutting under the ball there probably isn't much danger.  If you are hitting off range mats or slamming your club in to the ground then absolutely it could slowly change loft and lie.
Any carbon or Forged iron needs to be checked about every 50 rounds or so, no matter what... My oldest set of blades had a great one where the 7 iron ended up being stronger than the 6 iron after two season of hard play. Does take a ton to move a degree or two after two or three years of bashing.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

Thanks for the help, guys! It's winter time here in Finland, so I'm "playing" off mats now. I've played something like 80 rounds with these irons but haven't got them checked yet because I'm a pretty slow swinger. Planning to do that once the snow melts!

Nobody mentioned the shaft, so am I right to suppose that's gonna be okay?

ST190 8.5°, ATMOS Red 5  | Aeroburner 4H  |  MP-54 4i-Pw, DG R300  |  Vokey SM5 50° and 54°, SM6 58°  |  Odyssey Versa #1W Black

I'm most interested to actually see a Flop with a 4i. Can you post a short video?

And BTW; happy Pack Your Lunch Day.

https://nationaltoday.com/what-is-today/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On 3/10/2019 at 3:36 PM, PlaidJacket said:

I'm most interested to actually see a Flop with a 4i. Can you post a short video?

Took me a while, but here you go: 

It's a lot of fun 😄

Golf and golfers never cease to amaze me. The 4i flop is real. However, I'm going to leave that shot up to you jhak. Unless the 4i is the last club in my bag someday I probably will not be trying that. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You can flop a 4 iron! Dude put on your superman cape 😯💣

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

6 hours ago, jhak said:

Took me a while, but here you go: 

It's a lot of fun 😄

Crazy legit. I'm curious how many recordings it took to get that one? 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Haha, thanks all! 😄

16 hours ago, bardle said:

Crazy legit. I'm curious how many recordings it took to get that one? 

The first one started little too much right, then I shanked one, so the answer is three takes.

If one was to game this shot, the biggest problem would be distance control as opposed to starting it on the line or getting airborne. I don't know what kind of "Spanish hands" it would take to land these consistently within even 10 yards...

My natural swing is terribly over-the-top, so that probably helps with stuff like this.

Also, this has to be posted here:

Archived