GSwag

What Major Championship is your favorite?

What is your favorite major championship?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What Major Championship is your favorite?

• The Masters
    • PGA Championship
    • US Open
    • Open Championship
    • The Players (not a major, but let's go with it for survey purposes)

We talked about this last year, always a good topic!

mine in rank order:

The Open
The Masters
US Open
PGA

My order exactly. I love The Open b/c of the history, the unique courses and conditions, and the fact that it’s on EARLY! You can watch the golf and then go PLAY golf!
The Masters is wonderful, and I agree that the fact that it is played on the same course each year is part (most?) of the aura.
I’m not a big fan of the USGA, and I feel like they turn their tournament into a gong show each & every year, so...
The PGA, to me, is a regular tour event that allows a bunch of club pros to slap it around, albeit usually on a fantastic track.
I’d place The Players third on this list if it was an option.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

My order exactly. I love The Open b/c of the history, the unique courses and conditions, and the fact that it’s on EARLY! You can watch the golf and then go PLAY golf!
The Masters is wonderful, and I agree that the fact that it is played on the same course each year is part (most?) of the aura.
I’m not a big fan of the USGA, and I feel like they turn their tournament into a gong show each & every year, so...
The PGA, to me, is a regular tour event that allows a bunch of club pros to slap it around, albeit usually on a fantastic track.
I’d place The Players third on this list if it was an option.

I’d put the Scottish Open third. The Players is cool too. Next week should be a fun watch.
  • Like 3

The Masters, then the Opens, last is PGA. I hardly ever watch the PGA....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

The British Open for the types of courses that are in the rota. I love watching and playing on links courses and the creativity that can force players to produce.

And the US Open for the way they make the courses extremely difficult to actually test the skills of the players.

The Open, Masters, US Open, Players, PGA.

The Open is always a delight to watch and you see plenty of crazy stuff and it's so different. Masters is classic because it's always one course so everyone knows it. The US Open used to be my favorite but the USGA has ruined everything with thier cockimamy setups starting with Chambers Bay. The last two I'm pretty indifferent about to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I had tickets to The Open for Jack's last stroll down the Old Course, but I had to go see about a girl (now my wife). So we went to the final round the following year...Tiger vs. Sergio in '06 at Royal Liverpool. However, the major that I've always wanted to attend is the Masters. I love how traditional it is, from the caddies in all white, to not having to break the bank for lunch and refreshments. Maybe someday I'll make it there.

Ernie Els has some different thoughts about us who chose the Masters.....

• Like 1

US Open - I like to see the boys sweat now and again.  I'd like to get people upset by saying negative stuff about the Masters but I do love it despite its quirks, especially its middling field - I like each of the Majors because they make up a great ensemble that ultimately tests every part of a players' repertoire.  It takes a very special player to have the game that conquers all four in a career.

• Like 2

The Open Championship...  I like Links style courses with the many options to play shots.  It seems that it is also the major where playing well in "weather" is an important factor.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The Masters without a doubt. I was hooked long ago, but once I attended the 1989 Masters, I was WAY more impressed. As wonderful as it looks on TV and despite the glowing descriptions you've heard, you can't fully appreciate Augusta until you've actually seen the place in person during The Masters. Everyone who loves golf should go at least once.

As for the others I'd rank them US Open, British, Players & PGA. The PGA has always been inferior to the other majors IMO. YMMV

Edited by Middler

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

The Masters without a doubt. I was hooked long ago, and once I attended the 1989 Masters, I was WAY more impressed. As wonderful as it looks on TV, you can't fully appreciate it until you've actually seen the place during The Masters in person. Everyone who loves golf should go at least once.

Tried more than once- never even sniffed a ticket unless it's packaged with an extortionate fly/stay deal.

7 minutes ago, Middler said:

The Masters without a doubt. I was hooked long ago, but once I attended the 1989 Masters, I was WAY more impressed. As wonderful as it looks on TV and despite the glowing descriptions you've heard, you can't fully appreciate Augusta until you've actually seen the place in person during The Masters. Everyone who loves golf should go at least once.

As for the others I'd rank them US Open, British, Players & PGA. The PGA has always been inferior to the other majors IMO. YMMV

I was working in Aiken, SC for two weeks starting the week before the 1989 Masters.  I had to check out of the hotel on Friday before Masters week, and book a room in Columbia, SC for the next week and commute each day.  That's as close as I got to the Masters.

It's gotta be The Masters above everything for me.  The US Open is good.  The PGA and the Open would rank a bit lower for me as they just don't seem to click.  My local course also does a Par 3 Tournament the same day as the Masters Par 3 which is always fun.  

Hoping to get the opportunity to go to Augusta at some point.  I'll have to win the pool through the website or go through work because there is little chance that I'm paying $4k for the week.

My favorite is The Open. Links style courses are my favorite, I tend to play my best when conditions are bad (wind, rain, etc), and it's the oldest of the majors. The Masters is second best to me, the idea of getting to always play once you win is pretty cool.

• Like 1

I think I am with the majority and say The Masters. The fact that it is the only one played on the same course year in and year out (The Players is not a major). Its also the special traditions it has Par 3, Champions Dinner, Caddy Jumpers etc. 

Second on my list would have to be the British, just because it is such a different event when compared to the other 3.

Has to be The Masters. Nothing like hearing "Hello Friends", having the windows open sunday afternoon