Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why are they still called Fairway "Woods"?

Mr. 82

No disrespect for anyone who calls your fairway club a "wood".  Lord knows I've been calling it that forever, mostly because I honestly don't know what else you would call it.  I mean, Johnny Miller used to always say fairway "metal", which is technically more accurate, but that just sounds weird; it always has.  And unless you are still sporting that fabulous set of persimmons from the late 1980's fairway clubs haven't been "wood" since Callaway introduced the "Big Bertha" and Taylormade came out with fairway clubs that were made of some sort of metal component.

I suppose it will take a reinvention of this sort of club to the point where it isn't even called a fairway whatever club anymore, but like the "driver", which used to be called a "1 wood" back when I WAS playing persimmons, does anyone have any bright ideas on how to name your fairway metal club something nice that sets it apart and makes it unique and classy?  I mean come on, we're all intelligent, above average addicted golfers here.  Can we come up with something fancy to call it?  Heck, we used to call the driver the "play club" back when they hit hickories, and the 2 wood was the "brassie, and the fairway wood was the "baffing spoon".  Surely we can come up with a name that has some sort of sex appeal and staying power?  

Then again, if you marketing gurus want to get paid, you might not respond here, and call Callaway direct and give them the business first.  😁

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

It is for sure carry-over from the original WOOD clubs but it will not be long before you cannot use fairway METALS anymore as many manufacturers are incorporating as much carbon fiber as they do metal. NOW what do you call them.... 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Or how about all the companies start making real wood woods again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Then we should also rename irons too as they are made out of steel, which is iron and carbon, and for stainless steel, chromium.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

For me they should be called rough metals

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Honestly, it grinds on me when someone says "fairway metal." Always struck me as too precious and pedantic (and I know I can be pedantic).

It seems to be that anyone calling them "fairway metals" should also be forced to insist that approach shots are hit with "steels" instead of "irons," just to demonstrate how obnoxious it is 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

You should hear what I call them when one goes wayward on me 😄 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Then we should also rename irons too as they are made out of steel, which is iron and carbon, and for stainless steel, chromium.

Yeah, and why aren't baseballs and footballs called baseball balls and football balls? The game is called baseball, so the ball is the ball used in the game, right? If tennis uses a tennis ball, bowling uses a bowling ball and golf uses a golf ball, then baseball and football should use baseball balls and football balls. I can't wait to here some announcer say "that was a great football play right there, and as good of a football ball throw and football ball catch as I've ever seen". Let's get literal!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

14 minutes ago, gaussman1 said:

Yeah, and why aren't baseballs and footballs called baseball balls and football balls? The game is called baseball, so the ball is the ball used in the game, right? If tennis uses a tennis ball, bowling uses a bowling ball and golf uses a golf ball, then baseball and football should use baseball balls and football balls. I can't wait to here some announcer say "that was a great football play right there, and as good of a football ball throw and football ball catch as I've ever seen". Let's get literal!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

LOL! Well stated!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

That's it!  That's why I quit playing a fairway wood.  I couldn't take it anymore.  Well, that and I hit a 2H just as far and straighter.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

One thing that's always ground my gears is Roger Maltbie calling Sand Wedges Sand Irons.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Similar over here as to why we call every vacuum cleaner a Hoover, as they were first. Even a Dyson is called a hoover when you need to hoover up the dust.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

In my line of work we have a saying...

There are two things every fireman hates...

1) change
2) the way things are

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Odd, I always thought they were "Woods" because that's where the ball was heading. Learn something new every day.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

This is kind of trivial IMO.

Doesn't matter to me what anyone calls their clubs. I call mine what I'm used to calling them and is commonly accepted. Woods, irons, wedges, etc. If you want to call your fairway club a Composite 3 go right ahead and have a nice day. What did you score on the hole? A composite double bogie you say; as compared to my free range birdie.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Honestly, it grinds on me when someone says "fairway metal." Always struck me as too precious and pedantic (and I know I can be pedantic).

It seems to be that anyone calling them "fairway metals" should also be forced to insist that approach shots are hit with "steels" instead of "irons," just to demonstrate how obnoxious it is 🙂

Titleist, a conservative clubmaker, calls them "metals" still, and I've never had a problem with it at all.

I'm admittedly not a populist, however, and don't adopt sketchy terms because they've become popular and commonplace. 

Woods wouldn't count as a sketchy term, however, because it simply represents a continuation.  I have no problem with people still using "woods" for that reason.

I just wouldn't call "metals" pretentious(or precious and pedantic) if that's what Titleist and Johnny Miller say-- because I say it too.

I'm old enough to remember when the Queen's language was important.

I don't say "less" or "amount" when "fewer" or "number" is called for;

I don't use "their" as a singular possessive pronoun;  

I don't say "feel badly" when "feel bad" is correct (feel is a connecting verb, here; feeling badly is what a fourteen year old does trying to fondle breasts for the first time).

I'd never say "between you and I"  instead of "between you and me;"

and more on the topic, I wouldn't use the alleged word "golfing" anymore than I'd say "tennising."  (Bowling is OK.)

Sounding like a regular guy--Joe Sixpack if you will--was never an aspiration for me.

I guess that we all speak "golf" similarly to how we speak everything else.

At the end of the day, therefore,  isn't  at least ok for an "elitist eastern snob" to say "fairway metal?"

1 minute ago, NiftyNiblick said:

At the end of the day, therefore,  isn't  at least ok for an "elitist eastern snob" to say "fairway metal?"

So I'm as much a grammar snob as anyone; I'm all in with you on your list of examples (especially the singular "their").

Here's my guess: while I have hit an actual wood or two in my life, I've played almost all my golf in the era of metal (and composite) woods. My hunch, and it's only a hunch without any supporting data, is that those who prefer the term "fairway metal" actually played with fairway woods, so that the difference is really meaningful for them. For those of us who've never really played with fairway woods, who've always had a metal club labeled "3W" in our bags, the difference doesn't register as much.

Full WITB with pictures

1 minute ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

My hunch, and it's only a hunch without any supporting data, is that those who prefer the term "fairway metal" actually played with fairway woods, so that the difference is really meaningful for them. For those of us who've never really played with fairway woods, who've always had a metal club labeled "3W" in our bags, the difference doesn't register as much.

Excellent observation, MPR.  Although I didn't think of that, reading it makes it seem that it should have been obvious.

5 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Excellent observation, MPR.  Although I didn't think of that, reading it makes it seem that it should have been obvious.

Which also means that my perception of the term "fairway metal" as being pretentious should be reined in a bit, as I need to recognize my own circumstances that make it seem such to me. Good and helpful exchange here, @NiftyNiblick.

Full WITB with pictures

I think the answer here is very simple. It is just easier for us lazy humans to say "fairway wood" than it is to say "fairway metal"...One less syllable just rolls off the tongue better, that's all. 

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

They are called fairway woods for the same reason that the Majors are Majors - tradition - You could argue that its the course(s) for the majors but other tournaments are played where majors are played and they aren't majors when they are played there unless they are played there as a major.

So its tradition to call fairway metals, fairway woods - that's why they are called that.

For the record I am 62 years old (older than GSwag) and I've never called a driver a 1 wood.  When I started playing I carried a driver and a spoon.  My wood's were called by names that hearkened back to when they had wooden shafts.  The irons already were known by numbers except the wedge(s).  My first metal wood was a tour spoon that I owned back in the 80's.  I sometimes called it that but normally referred to it as my 3 metal.  I think I split time between 3 metal or fairway wood now.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Titleist, a conservative clubmaker, calls them "metals" still, and I've never had a problem with it at all.
I'm admittedly not a populist, however, and don't adopt sketchy terms because they've become popular and commonplace. 
Woods wouldn't count as a sketchy term, however, because it simply represents a continuation.  I have no problem with people still using "woods" for that reason.
I just wouldn't call "metals" pretentious(or precious and pedantic) if that's what Titleist and Johnny Miller say-- because I say it too.
I'm old enough to remember when the Queen's language was important.
I don't say "less" or "amount" when "fewer" or "number" is called for;
I don't use "their" as a singular possessive pronoun;  
I don't say "feel badly" when "feel bad" is correct (feel is a connecting verb, here; feeling badly is what a fourteen year old does trying to fondle breasts for the first time).
 I'd never say "between you and I"  instead of "between you and me;"
and more on the topic, I wouldn't use the alleged word "golfing" anymore than I'd say "tennising."  (Bowling is OK.)

Sounding like a regular guy--Joe Sixpack if you will--was never an aspiration for me.
I guess that we all speak "golf" similarly to how we speak everything else.

I thought you died 10 years ago...is that you George?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived