TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

Let's hear them. These opinions can be about clubs, courses, rules, players, whatever you have an opinion about.

PS. Let's keep it friendly

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

JB Holmes.

Love him or hate him?

Honestly these guys complaining about betting on the game. Didn’t realize this was a thing, but the amount of crap Jason Day is getting for a WD...

Don’t gamble on the game if you’re not willing to take a loss.

Wasn’t going to say anything, but this is an all time new low for golf. Players dissing players because “there’s a lot of money at stake”...

Who cares.

Idk if this is unpopular, but I definitely agree with you! These gamblers should know that tour players don't have to disclose their health problems and whether or not they're playing.

Idk if this is unpopular, but I definitely agree with you! These gamblers should know that tour players don't have to disclose their health problems and whether or not they're playing.

I’ve been marinating on that topic since yesterday. It really bugs me, now there will always be that “did he throw the tournament” question if there’s a close one.

Generally not a fan of the popular players - Tiger, Spieth, JT (for some reason I do like Rickie, though). It made it nice when I was wandering around Firestone Country Club last summer. Many of the guys I wanted to follow had no one around them.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Generally not a fan of the popular players - Tiger, Spieth, JT (for some reason I do like Rickie, though)

I'm not a fan of Spieth or Tiger either, but like JT and especially like Rickie. It's not that I dislike Tiger either, I just wasn't able to enjoy all of his greatness back in the day, as I wasn't into golf yet.

Not so inflammatory, but...

I love playing "cornfields" or the local run-down muni more than playing super nice courses. They typically come with a much smaller price tag, are easier for higher handicap players and are often run by or staffed by super nice people who genuinely love the game of golf. 

I've been really disappointed this year as two of my local courses fitting this description sold out for development. Thankfully, it sounds like one will stay a course at least a little bit longer before it's bulldozed.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Seed over all the cart paths and any golfers that want to play have to walk, take a caddie, or bring a push cart.  Yeah, I know, I just created a riot over in "The Villages", but bring it on.  I know it's unpopular to suggest such a thing, but back in the day golf was supposed to be a sport where the walking component was a big part of the competition and game.

Pace of play is maxed out at 3 1/2 hours for any group on the course.  If it's good enough for St. Andrews, then it's good enough for wherever golf is played.  You punch a card at the turn, and if you are over time (1 hour and 45 minutes per nine for those of you keeping score), your group is asked to leave the course.  Well, asked is too polite.  You'd be shown the parking lot by our staff of marshalls who are all college students from the athletic department.

Maximum handicap of 18 is allowed on the course.  Yeah, sure, that seems extreme, but we have a nice big 'ol range over there for those of you who need to work on your game a bit to get down to the maximum number.  And while we're working with your game on the range we're discussing options #1 and #2 above.  Oh yeah, and if you want to play my course, you will HAVE to have an established handicap.  Don't worry, the course is open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for you to play a round with the pro, to keep score and to have your scores posted for handicap.  We have at least 3 pros available at any time during these days to accommodate anyone interested in playing a round.  "Gee Swag, I just don't have the time to do this, yada, yada, yada."  Well, that's part of the problem honestly that I see with most public courses on the weekends.  Guys out there wasting everyone else's time because they haven't ever practiced their game, and just show up on Saturday or whenever and dust off the clubs from the last time they played and expect to actually keep a ball in play.  Then they ****** about how their game sucks while playing a 5 hour round and holding everyone up behind them.

My course design would incorporate the following holes and distances:

Par 3s of 100, 115, 130, 145, 160 and 185.

Par 4s of 315, 330, 345, 360, 375 and 390.

Par 5s of 450, 465, 480, 505, 520 and 550.

Yeah, that's right.  Six of each par, and half of those holes would be short enough for the average golfer, and even the senior shorter hitters to reach par 4s easily in two and par 5s easily in three.  Don't worry.  If you think that 100 yard par 3 is too easy, you haven't seen my design.  The green would be about the size of my small bedroom in the house (10' x 12') and if you miss anywhere but short, the bunker you are in you are hitting out sideways or backwards, as it will be a true hazard and a true penalty, much like the postage stamp green's bunker is at Royal Troon.  Yeah, Rory took 6 shots to get out of it.  How will you fare?  I'd have doglegs on all the shorter par 4s and double doglegs on all the par 5s.  You want to cut the corner?  Go ahead.  Lots of water on the par 5s right about where you hot shot studs with 300 yards of carry will end up wet.  I will neuter your distance at every turn, and force you to use 14 clubs from your bag for all 18 holes.  Phil Mickelson may not approve, but GOOD!

Tournaments every other weekend at my course.  These are for both the men's and women's members.  You'll never get good at golf if you don't compete against your peers.  Tournaments are always gross and incorporate flights by your pre-established and witnessed handicapped scores.  The cost of these tournaments would be the same as the greens fees currently are, which would be free to members, plus a $10 entry fee for the kitty.  The winner of each flight takes how the cash.  And if you win flight "B", you are in flight "A" next time around.  If you are last in flight "B", you are in flight "C" next time around.

Honestly, the above is not realistic in our day and age when most folks are splitting their time 15 different ways.  I'm genuinely looking for 200 people for my type of club, where the membership fees are reasonable ($150 a month or less).  You will get in shape at my club, and you will always have a game waiting for you.  I would establish an online members only website where members could post requests for tee times, and seek pairings with fellow members.  I would also have a complete online database with all members contact information, and including handicaps.  There are no outliers or strangers at my club.  We all love golf, and we all want to play as much as possible.  Enough of the old boys club.  Everyone can play with everyone else, and there are no cliques at my club.  Be engaging with your fellow members or play somewhere else.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Honestly these guys complaining about betting on the game. Didn’t realize this was a thing, but the amount of crap Jason Day is getting for a WD...

Don’t gamble on the game if you’re not willing to take a loss.

Wasn’t going to say anything, but this is an all time new low for golf. Players dissing players because “there’s a lot of money at stake”...

Who cares.

Are the tour guys complaining about it due to gambling or the amount of good players trying to get into each event?  I know personally I hate seeing guys WD after a couple of holes because there are 100's of guys waiting to get the chance to play.  Some of the big names do not care and that is where this is wrong. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I think [mention=71158]GSwag[/mention]'s course would be out of business in a few months.

I think the tech behind Cobra's drivers over the past years is the best, but they don't get the credit they deserve.

4 hours ago, GSwag said:

Seed over all the cart paths and any golfers that want to play have to walk, take a caddie, or bring a push cart.  Yeah, I know, I just created a riot over in "The Villages", but bring it on.  I know it's unpopular to suggest such a thing, but back in the day golf was supposed to be a sport where the walking component was a big part of the competition and game.

Pace of play is maxed out at 3 1/2 hours for any group on the course.  If it's good enough for St. Andrews, then it's good enough for wherever golf is played.  You punch a card at the turn, and if you are over time (1 hour and 45 minutes per nine for those of you keeping score), your group is asked to leave the course.  Well, asked is too polite.  You'd be shown the parking lot by our staff of marshalls who are all college students from the athletic department.

Maximum handicap of 18 is allowed on the course.  Yeah, sure, that seems extreme, but we have a nice big 'ol range over there for those of you who need to work on your game a bit to get down to the maximum number.  And while we're working with your game on the range we're discussing options #1 and #2 above.  Oh yeah, and if you want to play my course, you will HAVE to have an established handicap.  Don't worry, the course is open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for you to play a round with the pro, to keep score and to have your scores posted for handicap.  We have at least 3 pros available at any time during these days to accommodate anyone interested in playing a round.  "Gee Swag, I just don't have the time to do this, yada, yada, yada."  Well, that's part of the problem honestly that I see with most public courses on the weekends.  Guys out there wasting everyone else's time because they haven't ever practiced their game, and just show up on Saturday or whenever and dust off the clubs from the last time they played and expect to actually keep a ball in play.  Then they ****** about how their game sucks while playing a 5 hour round and holding everyone up behind them.

My course design would incorporate the following holes and distances:

Par 3s of 100, 115, 130, 145, 160 and 185.

Par 4s of 315, 330, 345, 360, 375 and 390.

Par 5s of 450, 465, 480, 505, 520 and 550.

Yeah, that's right.  Six of each par, and half of those holes would be short enough for the average golfer, and even the senior shorter hitters to reach par 4s easily in two and par 5s easily in three.  Don't worry.  If you think that 100 yard par 3 is too easy, you haven't seen my design.  The green would be about the size of my small bedroom in the house (10' x 12') and if you miss anywhere but short, the bunker you are in you are hitting out sideways or backwards, as it will be a true hazard and a true penalty, much like the postage stamp green's bunker is at Royal Troon.  Yeah, Rory took 6 shots to get out of it.  How will you fare?  I'd have doglegs on all the shorter par 4s and double doglegs on all the par 5s.  You want to cut the corner?  Go ahead.  Lots of water on the par 5s right about where you hot shot studs with 300 yards of carry will end up wet.  I will neuter your distance at every turn, and force you to use 14 clubs from your bag for all 18 holes.  Phil Mickelson may not approve, but GOOD!

Tournaments every other weekend at my course.  These are for both the men's and women's members.  You'll never get good at golf if you don't compete against your peers.  Tournaments are always gross and incorporate flights by your pre-established and witnessed handicapped scores.  The cost of these tournaments would be the same as the greens fees currently are, which would be free to members, plus a $10 entry fee for the kitty.  The winner of each flight takes how the cash.  And if you win flight "B", you are in flight "A" next time around.  If you are last in flight "B", you are in flight "C" next time around.

Honestly, the above is not realistic in our day and age when most folks are splitting their time 15 different ways.  I'm genuinely looking for 200 people for my type of club, where the membership fees are reasonable ($150 a month or less).  You will get in shape at my club, and you will always have a game waiting for you.  I would establish an online members only website where members could post requests for tee times, and seek pairings with fellow members.  I would also have a complete online database with all members contact information, and including handicaps.  There are no outliers or strangers at my club.  We all love golf, and we all want to play as much as possible.  Enough of the old boys club.  Everyone can play with everyone else, and there are no cliques at my club.  Be engaging with your fellow members or play somewhere else.

You have put some serious thought into this. We need to set up a go fund me page for you so you can get the capital to build your Field of Dreams golf course. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

I hate the release cycles of the major equipment companies. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

I’m tired of the supposed “slow play rule”, supposedly guys will be put on the clock, and the tour does absolutely NOTHING. No penalties, no nothing! Why have a stinking rule if it won’t be enforced.

Someone PLEASE take Sergio, Patrick Reed, Ian Poulter, Bubba Watson, JB Holmes, and any other whiny Pro and give them a REAL job! Jackwagons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

What in the world is the Symetra Tour?! Does it REALLY exist, and is ANYONE on it any good???

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Tell us how you really feel, PMookie. Haha. This is the kind of juicy stuff I wanted to see!

What in the world is the Symetra Tour?! Does it REALLY exist, and is ANYONE on it any good???

Haha a few really good ones and a bunch on the fence that could go either way.

Tazz
Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons