TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

32 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

You didn't ask my opinion, but you are getting it anyway... 😉

I assume it's just a matter of time before every club and/or ball will in some way be connected to the cloud, making "big brother" tracking and HC calculation easier and HC manipulation more difficult - if you want a HC, your strokes are tracked. Blow up on the first hole so you decide you don't want to keep score? Too bad, the cloud already has your data.

How do you make the calculation or the application of the HC more fair? I'm not sure about the best answer to that, but it seems to me a more fool-proof way of eliminating HC manipulation would be a great start.

You are probably correct. But what to do in the meantime...

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

28 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Fixing the handicap system is a topic that probably deserves its own thread. Match play net scoring is my real bugaboo. Because the format is a very large bracket competition in our men’s group, it starts very early in the season. Last time I entered as a rusty +2.5 (committee rounded +3.0) and drew a 35 handicap in the first round. That’s a total of 38 strokes - 2 strokes on 16 holes and 3 on the two most difficult holes. I somehow manged to halve the match through 18 then lost on the first extra hole with a par against a bogey (net birdie). I _love_ matchplay but have little incentive to participate in net formats.

Yea, it probably does deserve it's own thread. Giving up that many strokes it is near impossible. Flights work great but I understand they are not in every event. For match play (with enough golfers) the best way I have seen is to break it up in flights and then play gross. It doesn't work for all events but if there are enough golfers and you can make the flights close enough it works great. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

51 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I don't disagree that the handicap system is flawed. One of my big contentions with it for years has been match play, and how the strokes are given on the card. I think that in match play spinning off the low handicap is the wrong way to do it. The strokes should fall where they fall. 

@downlowkey I have thought about this for years but have not come up with a solution. What are your thoughts on how to change it? 

I would agree with strokes as they fall for match play, but I don't think the amount of strokes for match play should be based on a handicap that's established with stroke play.  It's particularly harder on the lower handicap player as the handicap difference widens.  Not a big issue when we're talking 2-3 strokes difference, but when you have a 3 handicap player giving 20 strokes to a 23 handicapper, it's just way out of balance.  Match play handicaps should be 75-80% of stroke play handicap (or some similar system) because match play doesn't account for those blowup holes that drive handicaps upward.  JMO

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

29 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

You are probably correct. But what to do in the meantime...

Excellent question... 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

3 hours ago, downlowkey said:

I’ll get over it in a few weeks but always feel this way at the start of tournament season. As a plus index with a thick layer of Winter rust, the idea of giving match play strokes to a 0.0 seems ridiculous.

Golf is incredibly difficult but inherently fair. I have invested tens-of-thousands of hours in my golf game. What’s fair about a high handicapper subsequently beating me via fantasy scoring based on a hypothetical estimation of their abilities? If you’re not counting all your strokes, in my mind it’s not real golf. That said, I enjoy playing golf with individuals of all skill levels.

Thank you for sharing this, as it is not something I have ever considered.

It makes complete sense to feel as if your hard work is almost a penalty for you in net events.  I am not sure as to what a good solution to the problem is, but I can understand where someone in your shoes finds it a problem.

Golf and possibly bowling are the only two sports that come to my  mind where there is an effort made to level the playing field to give everyone a chance of winning.  

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Here are 2:

1.) Totally against folks wearing golf shoes to go WATCH a golf tournament. So weird to me.

2.) Totally against ANY type of golf shoe as a shoe worn “off course”. Golf shoes have nubs, or spikes, and we don’t need those to have better traction at the mall..............
Just weird to me. Golf shoes are worn on a golf course, or practice area, then taken off and put in the trunk. Driving to the range to hit/putt? Ok. But NEVER for around town before/after a round!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So... what about all of the basketball shoes at the mall or on the sideline at a football game? Or basketball golf shoes?

I agree though. Weird.
Hank Haney is highly overrated!
So is Leadbetter and Pelz.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Golf is incredibly difficult but inherently fair. I have invested tens-of-thousands of hours in my golf game. What’s fair about a high handicapper subsequently beating me via fantasy scoring based on a hypothetical estimation of their abilities? If you’re not counting all your strokes, in my mind it’s not real golf. That said, I enjoy playing golf with individuals of all skill levels.

I agree. As an example if you're racing sailboats (not identical ones) the "handicap" - what racers call "ratings" is on the boat and not the skipper. It would be like having handicaps based on your drivers/irons/putter. The golf index is a much fairer system.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

18 hours ago, PMookie said:

Totally against ANY type of golf shoe as a shoe worn “off course”.

But, but True Linkswear told me different... 😭

C3D8F6B4-F341-4F73-8238-C621118FF99F.jpeg.ead45bdb42f05978724d069412dc64cc.jpeg

I have a few pairs of this exact shoe in the rotation and absolutely love them. Is it any less weird if I wear the nubs down before turning them into street shoes?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

But, but True Linkswear told me different...  

I have a few pairs of this exact shoe in the rotation and absolutely love them. Is it any less weird if I wear the nubs down before turning them into street shoes?

Gotta agree. I just bought a pair of Adidas Crossknit 2.0 on closeout. You have to understand, my feet are jacked up. Every shoe hurts my feet. But these? Oh my, oh my. I walked 9 yesterday for the first time in 2 years, and felt good at the end.

I’m going to go buy another pair just for daily wear.

IMG_0244.JPG.cf10eb00b629b240dda7da8622d453e4.JPG

European tour produces all round better players than the PGA Tour. 

Play the Ryder's Cup on neutral territory, over the course of two weeks, shifting country each round. Maybe from NZ, AUS, up through Indonesia, Asia, to the Middle East and Africa. 

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

I don't disagree that the handicap system is flawed. One of my big contentions with it for years has been match play, and how the strokes are given on the card. I think that in match play spinning off the low handicap is the wrong way to do it. The strokes should fall where they fall. 
[mention=68431]downlowkey[/mention] I have thought about this for years but have not come up with a solution. What are your thoughts on how to change it? 
It's been a few years since I've read the handicap manual, but from what I recall the reason the strokes don't fall where they fall is not because the 2 and 18 hdcp are both likely to make bogey on the first and second handicap hole, but rather because those holes represent where players of differing ability levels are furthest apart in average score. So even when you play off the low ball that should still be true (if the committee handicapped the course by the USGA manual instead of just hardest-easiest or longest-shortest).

I was handicap chair at my club for a couple years and really got in the weeds of what it says you're supposed to do. It's not perfect by any means but anyone who delves into it does come away with an appreciation of how much effort the USGA puts into trying to have an equitable system. I guess if everyone feels like they're getting screwed then it's probably pretty fair.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Fixing the handicap system is a topic that probably deserves its own thread. Match play net scoring is my real bugaboo. Because the format is a very large bracket competition in our men’s group, it starts very early in the season. Last time I entered as a rusty +2.5 (committee rounded +3.0) and drew a 35 handicap in the first round. That’s a total of 38 strokes - 2 strokes on 16 holes and 3 on the two most difficult holes. I somehow manged to halve the match through 18 then lost on the first extra hole with a par against a bogey (net birdie). I _love_ matchplay but have little incentive to participate in net formats.
That's insane. I think they should always bracket handicap season long stuff so your early matches are relative ability

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

On 3/27/2019 at 2:45 AM, downlowkey said:

The handicap system should be abolished entirely - net score is a delusional notion.

And... You lose 90% of your players. 

I agree somewhat, but... No. 

wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Vice Pro Plus

Tour players would struggle to break even on country tracks, partially because they are used to manicured courses, partially because the green are a fraction of the size of top tier courses. 

"

Vice Pro Plus

On 3/27/2019 at 7:00 AM, downlowkey said:

But, but True Linkswear told me different... 😭

C3D8F6B4-F341-4F73-8238-C621118FF99F.jpeg.ead45bdb42f05978724d069412dc64cc.jpeg

I have this exact same shoe with the nubs worn down.  Wish they still made them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Tour players would struggle to break even on country tracks, partially because they are used to manicured courses, partially because the green are a fraction of the size of top tier courses. 

So you don’t think they would be the course rating? I have played a course in NY where DJ has the course record of 63

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

16 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

I'm not sure about that, but I would love to see what they could do on some of the tracks I play...lol.

I disagree. Our courses are so short compared to what they play on tour. They would destroy any course that tops out at 6600 yards no matter the condition.

Take Dead Aim

I disagree. Our courses are so short compared to what they play on tour. They would destroy any course that tops out at 6600 yards no matter the condition.

Yeah. Phil would complain and then shoot - 2.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

People on carts that play golf "for the exercise"!

Imagine that if I get to the stage where I need a cart (Electric buggy, fine) every round, I'll take up lawn bowls.

Spoken like a young guy. As much as I prefer to walk (with a push cart only) the munis I play on are always too slow and too crowded. I would only slow things down more. Especially since almost everyone else on the course is riding. And at 60 years old I just don’t move as fast or as well as I used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Gotta agree. I just bought a pair of Adidas Crossknit 2.0 on closeout. You have to understand, my feet are jacked up. Every shoe hurts my feet. But these? Oh my, oh my. I walked 9 yesterday for the first time in 2 years, and felt good at the end.

I’m going to go buy another pair just for daily wear.

IMG_0244.JPG.cf10eb00b629b240dda7da8622d453e4.JPG

I have a pair of those as well, and I love them. But I have never considered wearing them just for walking around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Music on the course should be banned or played that only your cart can hear it. I don't want to  hear someone's country or rap soundtrack 3 holes over. I came to get away from everything not have someone blasting music.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Music on the course should be banned or played that only your cart can hear it. I don't want to  hear someone's country or rap soundtrack 3 holes over. I came to get away from everything not have someone blasting music.
Don't mind the music overall, but I agree if I can hear it from the next hole turn it down.

Take Dead Aim