Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

9 hours ago, ED13 said:

Golf apparel companies trying to sell clothes that can be worn from the office to the course.  Don't be that guy.

Several do a real good job and most people in offices wouldnt realize someobe is wearing “golf” pants and not “khakis/dockers/anynother term for non dress slacks or suit pants”

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Done with this thread....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

15 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Done with this thread....

I didn't mean to offend you if I did Rick.  I was poking a little fun at a 60 Minutes piece from a few years back that made it seem like The Villages were Studio 54 for retirees.  Like most things in modern society, media sensationalizes everything for click and views.  I have several family members and their friends who spend the winters in The Villages.  I know how overblown those perceptions are!

Again, my apologies for not making that much more clear in my original message.  I was seeking the cheap laugh and it bit me in the ass.

I didn't mean to offend you if I did Rick.  I was poking a little fun at a 60 Minutes piece from a few years back that made it seem like The Villages were Studio 54 for retirees.  Like most things in modern society, media sensationalizes everything for click and views.  I have several family members and their friends who spend the winters in The Villages.  I know how overblown those perceptions are!
Again, my apologies for not making that much more clear in my original message.  I was seeking the cheap laugh and it bit me in the ass.

K
No problem.......
Now, about those cranky ole farts

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

But you said all putts must be holed, that eliminates the concession. I guess I am missing your distinction between conceding and giving a hole.

I had a brain fart.  I'm allowed that once in awhile at my age.  🙄

For some reason I equated "conceding" with the loser of the hole.  There have been many times when I have made a series of really bad shots, and even though I might have had an extremely slim chance (think a 40 foot putt, and my opponent has to 3-putt), I have "conceded" before I putt.  I doubt a pro would do that.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just now, gaussman1 said:

Since it's April, allow me a Master's opinion- Pimento Cheese Sandwiches are totally butt. Inedible mass of gelatinous grossness.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's not unpopular...LOL....pimento cheese yucky!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

That's not unpopular...LOL....pimento cheese yucky!

1 hour ago, gaussman1 said:

Since it's April, allow me a Master's opinion- Pimento Cheese Sandwiches are totally butt. Inedible mass of gelatinous grossness.

Blasphemy!

edited to add @GB13 😎

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

Yay!! Another sane person!!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

20 minutes ago, gaussman1 said:

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I had a brain fart.  I'm allowed that once in awhile at my age.  🙄

For some reason I equated "conceding" with the loser of the hole.  There have been many times when I have made a series of really bad shots, and even though I might have had an extremely slim chance (think a 40 foot putt, and my opponent has to 3-putt), I have "conceded" before I putt.  I doubt a pro would do that.

A pro will concede the hole once he/she is out of the hole. See tiger vs Rory from sat on 16. Tiger had a relatively long putt and it would have taken a 4 putt to halve the hole (rare but tiger has had them this year). Rory conceded before tiger even putted his first one

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I had a brain fart.  I'm allowed that once in awhile at my age.  

I guess you didn’t see the video of Bubba conceding a hike to Jordan while his ball was still in the air during the match play.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I guess you didn’t see the video of Bubba conceding a hike to Jordan while his ball was still in the air during the match play.

Another great recent example 

19 hours ago, deejaid said:

I only watch The Masters and the equipment commercials aren’t nearly as prevalent during its broadcast than what I saw sitting having dinner in the lounge last week glancing up at the tv during a Thursday round of whatever tournament it was.

I’m really not that up to speed on all the new stuff, mostly only find out about it by what I read here. But you are right, not much for me to get excited about.

Now an LFF on the other hand....... emoji3.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL had to give you a "love it" on the LFF----- Ha Ha wonder how many on here know about a LFF? 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

LOL had to give you a "love it" on the LFF----- Ha Ha wonder how many on here know about a LFF? 

Surely not many. I’m still looking for one. My Penna JS has a TT S300 which is a little much for me. The Mac Tourney C red label shafts in my M85 3&4 woods are perfect, a 1950’s LFF with that shaft is what I’m trying to find.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

9 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Surely not many. I’m still looking for one. My Penna JS has a TT S300 which is a little much for me. The Mac Tourney C red label shafts in my M85 3&4 woods are perfect, a 1950’s LFF with that shaft is what I’m trying to find.

LOL I bet a lot do not know what a JS is either.   I think we are talking Greek to them LOL

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

19 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

LOL I bet a lot do not know what a JS is either.   I think we are talking Greek to them LOL

I need a clue

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

16 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I need a clue

As old school as you are I figured you would know on those 2 items.

A JS is a persimmon deep faced Toney Penna Driver--- they are sorta rare I have only seen one in person. JS means Jupiter Slugger. Toney Penna's manufacturing facility was in Jupiter Florida. That is one big headed persimmon driver 

A "LFF" is a persimmon L-09 Tommy Armour Macgregor driver that was a special order and is extremely rare. "LFF" in the words of Tommy Armour mean "Let the F***** Fly they will be stamped on the sole LFF--- That last part has been verified by Toney Penna's nephew Charley.

Nope I do not own an example of either one wish I did--- Hopefully I will stumble upon one one day cheap which would be a pipe dream

Edited by BIG STU

G

13 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Jupiter Slugger.

Oh I knew that. (not really) 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Is it an unpopular opinion that even public courses struggling to maintain a viable volume of play should still police cart use and keep them off the slopes of tees and greens?

Asking for a friend who's tired of getting the 'Oh Well' shrug response to complaints to the clubhouse reps at his local muni.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

10 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Oh I knew that. (not really) 🏌️‍♂️

LOL at least you are honest. The only reason guys like DJ and myself know this is because we are classic club junkies and mess with that sort of thing all the time

Edited by BIG STU

G

I need a clue

My JS Model, or Jupiter Slugger. Nearly 2” high face. A big block of persimmon. . Hard to find and I stumbled upon this one on eBay.

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I may not be sane. But I made Pimento Cheese last year to “get in the spirit”... can’t say I care to ever eat that much cheese in one sitting again... just think about it makes me sick.

However.... I will eat one if I ever get to walk the grounds of Augusta. The one and only time. Until then I care not to see it anywhere near me. 🤢
5 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Is it an unpopular opinion that even public courses struggling to maintain a viable volume of play should still police cart use and keep them off the slopes of tees and greens?

Asking for a friend who's tired of getting the 'Oh Well' shrug response to complaints to the clubhouse reps at his local muni.

When I see that at my muni, I yell at advise them to stay on the cart paths.  They have to have a blue handicap flag from the clubhouse to be that close to tees and greens.  

Actually, on the weekends the marshals are very good about helping them with course etiquette.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 hours ago, GregB135 said:

We have never had a big problem with this but still have offenders who think they are entitled to do whatever they want on occasion.  About two years ago, the club installed GPS on all carts and programmed "dead zones" in and around the club.  If the cart veers toward one of those "dead zones," the cart shuts off and the GPS repeats "place the cart in reverse and exit the restricted area!"  

It's worked like a charm!

I agree with GSwag.  Just ban cart and force everyone to walk!  😉

Augusta is overrated and represents everything wrong with golf.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

From the standpoint of elitism and exorbitantly unreasonable agronomy, I absolutely agree.  

But dam if it isn't something to behold!

Unpopular opinion coming. Private clubs for one biological gender or even age for that matter regardless of activity (golf, cigar, etc) are perfectly fine. There are plenty of female only clubs of all sorts. 

With that said Augusta has opened their club tonthe kids in Sunday before the masters to host the drive, Chip, putt championships for several years now which is great chance to help the growth of the game and now they are having the women’s amateur event the week before...and 4 amatuers have declined to play there and accepted invitations to play the lpgas first major ANA inspiration 

Interesting take. How so?

@sixcat nailed it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex