Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

32 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unpopular opinion coming. Private clubs for one biological gender or even age for that matter regardless of activity (golf, cigar, etc) are perfectly fine. There are plenty of female only clubs of all sorts. 

With that said Augusta has opened their club tonthe kids in Sunday before the masters to host the drive, Chip, putt championships for several years now which is great chance to help the growth of the game and now they are having the women’s amateur event the week before...and 4 amatuers have declined to play there and accepted invitations to play the lpgas first major ANA inspiration 

I guess those 4 amateurs declined the ANWA invitation because they wanted a chance to play in a major championship against the top players in the world rather than play 36 holes at nearby Augusta CC with MAYBE a chance to be in the final round of 30 players who get to play Augusta National GC.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

40 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

4 amatuers have declined to play there and accepted invitations to play the lpgas first major ANA inspiration 

Wow declining a once in a lifetime experience! It's an inaugural event AND it's Augusta! These 4 could have probably played in another LPGA event or ANA next year. Defies reason - at least for me. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

32 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I guess those 4 amateurs declined the ANWA invitation because they wanted a chance to play in a major championship against the top players in the world rather than play 36 holes at nearby Augusta CC with MAYBE a chance to be in the final round of 30 players who get to play Augusta National GC.

Both are great chances and either is hard to pass up but if I have even a remote chance to get onto Augusta I’m taking it, especially since there’s no other plans to have a pro event there so once they turn pro their chances are even lower and btw Augusta CC is no slouch if a course to get a chance to play either.

The 4 that declined are highly ranked amatuers so their chances of getting into the top 30 are pretty high

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Champions Retreat, not Augusta CC.  Same sentiment applies though.  Those four are in a win-win situation.  Honestly, if they harbor thoughts of turning professional anytime soon, playing the ANA is probably the right choice.  

Very tough decision but they probably made the right one. I think that Augusta translates to Men more so than women. Also they are top flight AM's and playing a major on the tour that they will probably compete on will do more for their preparation in the future. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

21 hours ago, sixcat said:

Champions Retreat, not Augusta CC.  Same sentiment applies though.  Those four are in a win-win situation.  Honestly, if they harbor thoughts of turning professional anytime soon, playing the ANA is probably the right choice.  

Yeah, I missed that.  I was thinking it was right next door.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Long live groove technology in putters - it's the secret to making more putts. 

yep, probably something people will disagree on. But, I don’t think I have ever heard the claim that it will help make more putts. I have heard better roll and consistency.

But we all know it isn’t the grooves, it is how the putter looks that helps you make more putts.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

yep, probably something people will disagree on. But, I don’t think I have ever heard the claim that it will help make more putts. I have heard better roll and consistency.

But we all know it isn’t the grooves, it is how the putter looks that helps you make more putts.

Although grooves may help the ball roll end over end consistently (some would argue they roll the ball end over end just as well without grooves), I will stand by the greatest putter of all time using a smooth faced Scotty Cameron putter - even experimenting with grooves - only to go back to his Scotty. Say what you want, Mr. Rife, Ping, Odyssey, Bobby Grace, etc., if grooves made that drastic of a difference, I don't care what they say, every single pro would be using them.  And after years of experimentation, you would think that I (not a pro golfer), would be able to make more putts with a grooved or technology filled putter.  As it turns out, I make more puts with a newport Scotty Cameron, white hot pro Odyssey, Bettinardi milled face, and a Cleveland milled face. I can also make putts with groove tech - which obviously doesn't hurt to have, but it by no means makes me a more consistent putter or makes me hole more putts.  I wish someone would come out and say that they don't matter as much as they want you to believe they matter - they certainly can't hurt your game, just like a smooth face or milled face won't hurt or make you make exponentially more putts...just my thoughts - im sure others out there share the same!

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

Don't forget about feel there brother--- For me it is how it fits my eye but especially about the feel. For me insert putters have no feel that is why mostly I putt with old school styled putters.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

6 hours ago, Eric Cartmenez said:

Although grooves may help the ball roll end over end consistently (some would argue they roll the ball end over end just as well without grooves), I will stand by the greatest putter of all time using a smooth faced Scotty Cameron putter - even experimenting with grooves - only to go back to his Scotty. Say what you want, Mr. Rife, Ping, Odyssey, Bobby Grace, etc., if grooves made that drastic of a difference, I don't care what they say, every single pro would be using them.  And after years of experimentation, you would think that I (not a pro golfer), would be able to make more putts with a grooved or technology filled putter.  As it turns out, I make more puts with a newport Scotty Cameron, white hot pro Odyssey, Bettinardi milled face, and a Cleveland milled face. I can also make putts with groove tech - which obviously doesn't hurt to have, but it by no means makes me a more consistent putter or makes me hole more putts.  I wish someone would come out and say that they don't matter as much as they want you to believe they matter - they certainly can't hurt your game, just like a smooth face or milled face won't hurt or make you make exponentially more putts...just my thoughts - im sure others out there share the same!

Trust me on this if grooves made that much of a difference or advantage the Golf Channel would be clamoring to ban them and the USGA and the R&A would bow down and do so 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Trust me on this if grooves made that much of a difference or advantage the Golf Channel would be clamoring to ban them and the USGA and the R&A would bow down and do so 

This is exactly what I mean! U hit the nail on the head. Every single player would be using grooves if it gave them an advantage.  I'll stick with what I put with - whether that's grooves or not - whatever you make more putts with!

Edited by Eric Cartmenez

One other thing on the groove thing. Now this is strictly me. I have a YES! Dianna I found a few years back in a junked car. It is a nice putter good looking and all. Has the C-groove thing. I also have a Nike Method 003 I got a few years back which is another story. Like the YES! it has grooves. If I am doing the toe putt thing I can not get it to go in a predictable manner with either putter. Some of you know what I am talking about others do not. John Smalls knows about toe putting because I showed him while putting with a old blade Tommy Armour. We were also messing around with a balata ball he had actually found while we were playing. It is an old school method of taking a little steam off a putt and side spinning it especially on a fast left to right putt ( for a right hander) it can also take some of the speed off a right to left down hill short breaker. You gotta practice it though. It is harder for me to do with a Anser style putter. Back when I played comp I carried 2 putters in the car and decided on the putting green. If the greens were slick I carried a blade style putter usually a Tommy Armour Ironmaster style or an 8802 and left my Ping in the car. 

G

@BIG STU  I still can't do it, but I can vouch for it!

Since we are on the topic of unfortunate...unpopular opinions, who is/was Toney Penna?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

3 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

@BIG STU  I still can't do it, but I can vouch for it!

Since we are on the topic of unfortunate...unpopular opinions, who is/was Toney Penna?

Toney Penna was an old school tour player back in the day even before my time. He was on the Macgregor staff. He also was a club tinkerer and that evolved into club design. when his playing days and Macgregor contract ran out he started his own golf manufacturing company in Jupiter Florida. Years after he died the company was bought and sorta revived by Nathaniel Crosby son of Bing Crosby. I think sometime in the 90s it was absorbed into the deal with Nicklaus golf. In the mid 90s they got away from the quality persimmon woods and quality irons and started making junk ( IMHO) I think a couple of years ago I read on here someone had bought the rights to the company and were trying to revive the name brand with some horrible junk cast wedges. This is a picture of my most prized Penna driver this one is hand made and has never hit a ball

ATT_1459552287697_20160401_190449.jpg

ATT_1459552364499_20160401_190519.jpg

G

I could not get the other one to post right but here is my old warhorse Penna I played until 02 or so. The last persimmon standing on the SE Mini Tours. It also has a PGA pedigree it was also one of the last persimmon drivers played on the PGA tour. Yep I still play it on occasion even though the Aldila HM-65 graphite is getting a little stiff for me to hit. Those are also my Macgregor CF-4000 irons that my old man got new in 1962 when he was on Macgregor staff. Yep I still play them some but father time has caught up with me and I can not sadly swing those old Stiff Pro Pel 2 steel shafts like I used to. And yes they are in a genuine Macgregor Mini staff Tartan stripe bag not a Golfsmith plastic junk bag made in China but a genuine leather and vinyl made in the USA one

ATT_1445121383007_20151017_132917.jpg

Edited by BIG STU

G

I thought Stu posted a fake photo at first. Until I noticed the lead tape. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

11 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I thought Stu posted a fake photo at first. Until I noticed the lead tape. 🏌️‍♂️

I guess that is my "trademark" 

G

10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My current unpopular opinion...   DJ and JR both sit out tournaments and JR takes over as World #1.  I guess he out-idled DJ.  There must be a better way to rank players.

I'm a fan of the Sagarin computer rankings. They tend to put more weight on recent performance: http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=world

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

My current unpopular opinion...   DJ and JR both sit out tournaments and JR takes over as World #1.  I guess he out-idled DJ.  There must be a better way to rank players.

It's a very weird system. I believe it is a rolling 24 months so based on what happened in an event 2 years ago those points rolling off now really matter. I guess in your instance if DJ accumulated a bunch of points 2 years ago this week and they all dropped off now then he's going backwards. Meanwhile if JR didn't play in that event he didn't get any points then that he's losing now so he has a net gain over DJ.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

“Mock Turtlenecks” are just nice T-Shirts.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

Nike mock turtle necks and blade collars are nicer than standard polos, and their athletes dress nicer than any other on tour

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

4 hours ago, yungkory said:

Nike mock turtle necks and blade collars are nicer than standard polos, and their athletes dress nicer than any other on tour

I don’t know about nicer since Peter Millar and Hugo Boss are two brands on tour that are better looking. Of the “athletic” look/brands Nike is top.

the mock is a cool shirt that can be worn in various looks at outings 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Fixed that for ya!
That does sound a little better...

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

3 hours ago, joe293 said:

Michelle Wie is a hypochondriac......

I know everyone loves her but all the years of listening to injury after injury and being covered in Kinesio tape every round, it gets old

Yup - all show no dough! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel