TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

6 hours ago, joe293 said:

Michelle Wie is a hypochondriac......

I know everyone loves her but all the years of listening to injury after injury and being covered in Kinesio tape every round, it gets old

Considering she’s had some surgeries and stuff it’s more than just a hypochondriac and actual injuries. I feel bad for her because the injuries and how her parents handled her as a teenage cost her realizing the potential she had. When healthy she can be a force

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

17 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Considering she’s had some surgeries and stuff it’s more than just a hypochondriac and actual injuries. I feel bad for her because the injuries and how her parents handled her as a teenage cost her realizing the potential she had. When healthy she can be a force

She still hasn't completely healed from the car accident last year.  I'm far more forgiving and understanding of her condition than that of Jason Day.  Or to borrow a line from @The_Woke_Yolk, Jason "All" Day!  He seems to be either very fragile or a drama queen.  Likely some combination of the two.

44 minutes ago, sixcat said:

She still hasn't completely healed from the car accident last year.  I'm far more forgiving and understanding of her condition than that of Jason Day.  Or to borrow a line from @The_Woke_Yolk, Jason "All" Day!  He seems to be either very fragile or a drama queen.  Likely some combination of the two.

He has vertigo and back problems. I don’t think he’s missed an event or withdrew from one where he didn’t receive treatment for the issue. He played thru the vertigo at chambers bay. He was on the ground more than once from the effects. Vertigo basically cost Duval his career

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

30 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He has vertigo and back problems. I don’t think he’s missed an event or withdrew from one where he didn’t receive treatment for the issue. He played thru the vertigo at chambers bay. He was on the ground more than once from the effects. Vertigo basically cost Duval his career

I'm more familiar with Day's issues through the years than I wish to be.  I just don't buy into all of it.  His own wife told him to "toughen up" "suck it up" last Thursday.

Edit to correct the quote from Day's wife.

Edited by sixcat
On 4/15/2019 at 2:31 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Well the purpose of the thread was post your unpopular opinions so......

On 3/8/2019 at 2:03 PM, GB13 said:

I don't like Tiger. 

Still this. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Pros and Amateurs alike should be able to wear any clothing they feel comfortable in while golfing including flat billed hats and mock turtlenecks!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

There needs to be some different rules for casual and non-competitive play. We all don't get to play on pristine country clubs.

Driver: Titleist 915D3 Diamana White XS
FW: Cobra Fly-Z 16.5 Adila Proto XS
Hybrid: Adams Boxer Proto Gold 19 Adila Proto XS
Irons: Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG X100
Wedges: Vokey 50-54-58
Putter: Odyssey Versa #7

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

58 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

There needs to be some different rules for casual and non-competitive play. We all don't get to play on pristine country clubs.

You can makeup any rules you want. Nothin says one has to play by the rules of golf if not keeping a handicap

Pros playing in shorts looks goofy.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

You can makeup any rules you want. Nothin says one has to play by the rules of golf if not keeping a handicap
I do carry a handicap, so I follow the rules. Just wish the powers would wise up that 90% of us don't play on pristine courses of the tours, nor do we have hundreds of people looking for our ball when we hit. Also, the pace of play issue which is discussed in numerous other threads here.

Take Dead Aim

46 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I do carry a handicap, so I follow the rules. Just wish the powers would wise up that 90% of us don't play on pristine courses of the tours, nor do we have hundreds of people looking for our ball when we hit. Also, the pace of play issue which is discussed in numerous other threads here.

I don’t understand what he courses that the pros play or the crowds have to do with handicaps. 

I play all kinds of courses from military bases and some semi private courses that look more like munis to some well maintained courses and  my hdcp is what is regardless of the course. What rules of golf would you want the usga to change for non pristine courses?

pace of play is more about how the course handles the tee times, sets up tees and pins each day and the knowledge of the golfer to be ready to hit when they get to their ball. The usga/r&a have changed the time limit to search for a ball. One can always hit a provisional if unsure if their ball is in play or not. They allow the flag to stay in and gave changed how penalty areas are played. What rule do you think needs to be changed that would improve golfers who are just slow or courses that are clueless or don’t enforce pace of play?

I'm not sure either, but I'd like to see lost balls, OB, water hazards, etc all treated as lateral hazards. Two clubs lengths no nearer the hole where ball last crossed. I know new rules allow for local rules to do that basically with OB and lost balls, but I don't see why it needs to apply even at higher levels of play. Stroke and distance is a pace of play killer if player isn't aware there's a chance of lost ball or OB to on a shot until they get to where it ended up. I don't think there's really a difference in hitting a ball in the water versus out of bounds so the penalty should be the same, imo. That's how I play usually, but I don't play comps or carry a handicap currently.

I don’t understand what he courses that the pros play or the crowds have to do with handicaps. 
I play all kinds of courses from military bases and some semi private courses that look more like munis to some well maintained courses and  my hdcp is what is regardless of the course. What rules of golf would you want the usga to change for non pristine courses?
pace of play is more about how the course handles the tee times, sets up tees and pins each day and the knowledge of the golfer to be ready to hit when they get to their ball. The usga/r&a have changed the time limit to search for a ball. One can always hit a provisional if unsure if their ball is in play or not. They allow the flag to stay in and gave changed how penalty areas are played. What rule do you think needs to be changed that would improve golfers who are just slow or courses that are clueless or don’t enforce pace of play?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

48 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I'm not sure either, but I'd like to see lost balls, OB, water hazards, etc all treated as lateral hazards. Two clubs lengths no nearer the hole where ball last crossed. I know new rules allow for local rules to do that basically with OB and lost balls, but I don't see why it needs to apply even at higher levels of play. Stroke and distance is a pace of play killer if player isn't aware there's a chance of lost ball or OB to on a shot until they get to where it ended up. I don't think there's really a difference in hitting a ball in the water versus out of bounds so the penalty should be the same, imo. That's how I play usually, but I don't play comps or carry a handicap currently.

The bolder part is where golfers need to take the precaution and hit a provisional on anything that is questionable. With gps devices and apps one should be able to have an idea if a wayward shot could be lost/ob.

i have a few courses I play regularly and even on holes where I’m sure a ball can be found i or my buddies will hit a provisional of theres just a small doubt that creeps in.

there are slow golfers that no matter what will always be slow and there’s slow golfers who don’t know any better. I’ve played with guys that shoot a high score and play faster than some better players. 

I still don't see the need for stroke and distance as a penalty. I have no intentions at this point in time to enter any competitions so I'll continue to not utilize stroke and distance as I have for some time. It's easier for everyone and makes for a more enjoyable round instead of having to hit the same shot you just failed to hit.

The bolder part is where golfers need to take the precaution and hit a provisional on anything that is questionable. With gps devices and apps one should be able to have an idea if a wayward shot could be lost/ob.
i have a few courses I play regularly and even on holes where I’m sure a ball can be found i or my buddies will hit a provisional of theres just a small doubt that creeps in.
there are slow golfers that no matter what will always be slow and there’s slow golfers who don’t know any better. I’ve played with guys that shoot a high score and play faster than some better players. 

2 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I still don't see the need for stroke and distance as a penalty. I have no intentions at this point in time to enter any competitions so I'll continue to not utilize stroke and distance as I have for some time. It's easier for everyone and makes for a more enjoyable round instead of having to hit the same shot you just failed to hit.

In non-competitive rounds, you can play however you want to play.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

@Frogginbullfish just answered a big part of this for me. Stroke and distance for OB is #1. And it's not about handicap, I carry a 3, so I'm not the one losing strokes to this. Maybe education will solve some of this but golf brings all types.

Take Dead Aim

If the governing bodies really wanted to simplify the rules, stroke and distance would be removed entirely. There's no need for OB or lost ball to have a different penalty compared with hitting into a water hazard. It's one I've always found to be just a stupid distinction. Most cases you're not getting that ball back so why is the penalty different?

@Frogginbullfish just answered a big part of this for me. Stroke and distance for OB is #1. And it's not about handicap, I carry a 3, so I'm not the one losing strokes to this. Maybe education will solve some of this but golf brings all types.

1 hour ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

One can’t play from ob but a ball in a hazard could be played without penalty. 

I’m just waiting for the first Transgender dude to get on the LPGA and crush the ladies because of “equality”.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

1 minute ago, CFrazier said:

I’m just waiting for the first Transgender dude to get on the LPGA and crush the ladies because of “equality”.....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That'd really piss me off! So, not unpopular- at least not with me, although my views on that issue are probably pretty unpopular. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

5 hours ago, GB13 said:

That'd really piss me off! So, not unpopular- at least not with me, although my views on that issue are probably pretty unpopular. 

Pierce Morgan tweeted a video 2 weeks ago showing two 'transitioning' men identifying as women who came 1st and 2nd in a ladies 200m track race- they won easily. I have no issues on anyone being whoever they want to be, but I think some rules and qualifying criteria will be required going forward.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Pace of play is largely driven by courses trying to jam as many tee times as possible into every hour instead of allowing proper time between groups. 

Allowing the pin to remain in when putting has no effect on pace of play. 

Also when playing a group of 2 or 4, when your cart passenger is going to hit their shot, take your laser or whatever (you don't need to grab a club) and walk over to your ball and gather the information you need to hit the shot. 

I hate it when we are behind a group and the driver is hitting their shot and then the drive 20 yards and the other guy has to hit his shot and we have to wait for them to make their decision and figure out a distance; all of that should have been done before. 

Don't rush your shot because you didn't prepare. Prepare in advance and hit a good shot. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: M1 460

3W: :taylormade-small: M2 15*

Hybrid: :adams-small: Idea a7 22*

3-PW: :titelist-small: AP2

GAP: :callaway-small: X-Tour 52*

SW::cleveland-small: BRZ 900 56*

LW::cleveland-small: RTX-3 58*

Putter::scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant 

Ball::titelist-small: Pro V1x

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer

It's easy to see why fewer people are playing golf. Some guys out on the course are real jerks to beginners and kids. I when my son's where finally confident enough to get off the executive 9 hole course and play the championship course we had some jerks hit up on us (we were all waiting it was so slow). I waved and let them know we where still waiting to hit. They came down, saw there was a back up on the course and still said kids shouldn't be out playing. We kept our round going and I kept my cool. The hit up into is 2 more times. On the second time a when there ball went whizzing by our cart (we weren't in it) I hit stinger back at them. They left the course. The pro approached is at the end of our round and asked us what happened so I told him exactly what happened. He apologized, told me those guys were jerks, he wants the kids out on the course, and that he wasn't sure he could have kept his cool that long. A couple years later and he treats them like his own kids when they are on the course.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

I have a love/hate relationship with Tiger, I love his golfing talent but I hate what he did to Elin. Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Patrick Cantlay, and Tyrrell Hatton are on my dislike list.
DJ, really? He seems kind of goofy and quiet to me.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

I have also thought that pros should be using a smaller ball. And perhaps fewer clubs in their bags. Recreational golfers should be using same size ball as now and be allowed more clubs. Obviously this is never going to fly, but it's my unpopular opinion.

1 hour ago, wipierce said:

I have also thought that pros should be using a smaller ball. And perhaps fewer clubs in their bags. Recreational golfers should be using same size ball as now and be allowed more clubs. Obviously this is never going to fly, but it's my unpopular opinion.

That’s what makes golf unique is that the rules at the pro level and the amateur level.