TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s what makes golf unique is that the rules at the pro level and the amateur level.

Quite true. 

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

In the spirit of our next major, let's see how y'all respond to this. My favorite major is the PGA Championship.

1. It's sentimental to me as I'm from Louisville and Valhalla would host it every so often. Going to practice rounds at the 2000 PGA Championship was my first taste of pro golf.
  2. I love the quirky/non-traditional courses.
  3. I love the huge field that can give us random winners a la "Dude Wipes" Dufner.
  4. I love that it also gives us winners like Tiger, Brooks, Rory, etc. (For those that try the argument about how "random" golfers win it too much.
  5. And frankly, I love that it pisses people off.

I'm just glad it's going to Bethpage Black this year. Pretty excited to try and buy the MGS bag tag and ball marker again as well. Btw, my favorite majors in order are PGA, Masters, The Open, and a far flung last finish place, the US Open.337907960_dufnerhat.png.043496e46860c9ecc21c50cf778d14a3.png

Driver: PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.png.6d1372c95165c398d9025a4e031dac4b.png0811XF Gen 2. 9 degrees        5 Wood: default_cobra-small.jpg.f2d30fe56bdc63bb143b6beab868e5d6.jpg F8 5/6. Set to 17 degrees

Irons:   PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.png.6d1372c95165c398d9025a4e031dac4b.png 0211 XCOR2 5-W                    7 Wood: PXG_Logo.png.ee163b621006ac6c8fc2c744c029c0e7.png.6d1372c95165c398d9025a4e031dac4b.png 0211 

Wedges:IMG_0041.gif.bb78ad6d85f990dffa1b02feb50bbe80.gif SM9 48º, 54º, 58º   Ball: 1942659004_Screenshot2023-06-0213_14_51.png.b49b326f9c77f7aff9d7f32e267a59cf.png Tour X

Putter: 1332069271_TommyArmour.jpg.53c68d5be5cc32c01ff3db1307fab5a5.jpg Impact No. 3               Bag: Ogio.jpg.a670225d3596cda3cd22c4084575c2a2.jpg.b8dc074bc0a99fa84f35307f7b28dc89.jpg Convoy SE                              

Grips: Tour Velvet, Winn (Wedges)

Technology: I have a membership at my local PGA TOUR Superstore. I go there to use their Trackman to monitor my distance gaps, spin rates, etc. On the course I've been using TheGrint app.

default_cleveland-small.jpg

33 minutes ago, aburtonky said:

In the spirit of our next major, let's see how y'all respond to this. My favorite major is the PGA Championship.

1. It's sentimental to me as I'm from Louisville and Valhalla would host it every so often. Going to practice rounds at the 2000 PGA Championship was my first taste of pro golf.
  2. I love the quirky/non-traditional courses.
  3. I love the huge field that can give us random winners a la "Dude Wipes" Dufner.
  4. I love that it also gives us winners like Tiger, Brooks, Rory, etc. (For those that try the argument about how "random" golfers win it too much.
  5. And frankly, I love that it pisses people off.

I'm just glad it's going to Bethpage Black this year. Pretty excited to try and buy the MGS bag tag and ball marker again as well. Btw, my favorite majors in order are PGA, Masters, The Open, and a far flung last finish place, the US Open.337907960_dufnerhat.png.043496e46860c9ecc21c50cf778d14a3.png

Also, it's the toughest tournament to win all year. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

The most important shot in golf is the tee shot, not the short game.  Everything you do on a hole is determined by that first shot.  If you spend 2 shots making up for a bad drive your chances at par are cut by 90+%.  Hit a good tee shot, a reasonable second, and you have the ability to 2 putt or get up and down for par.  If you're threading a shot between trees or are in a deep fairway bunker, your chance at a good hole is seriously impaired. 

4 minutes ago, Sjdowne said:

The most important shot in golf is the tee shot, not the short game.  Everything you do on a hole is determined by that first shot.  If you spend 2 shots making up for a bad drive your chances at par are cut by 90+%.  Hit a good tee shot, a reasonable second, and you have the ability to 2 putt or get up and down for par.  If you're threading a shot between trees or are in a deep fairway bunker, your chance at a good hole is seriously impaired. 

I'd agree. I'd also add that at least for me the tee shots sets me up mentally for the rest of the hole. Hit a good tee shot and I'm feeling good. Hit a lousy tee shot and I'm ticked at myself and also thinking how am I going to get out of this mess. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

17 minutes ago, Sjdowne said:

I’ll disagree. The second shot can have as much determination on the score as the first. A good/great tee shot doesn’t guarantee a good score. A bad shot with a good recovery shot can lead to a birdie or par as much as a good drive. Being in the fairway and missing a gir reduces the chance at birdie 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ll disagree. The second shot can have as much determination on the score as the first. A good/great tee shot doesn’t guarantee a good score. A bad shot with a good recovery shot can lead to a birdie or par as much as a good drive. Being in the fairway and missing a gir reduces the chance at birdie 

But a bad tee shot has a significant impact on your ability to hit a GIR.  I would never argue an approach isnt important, but the determining factor of how you play a hole, what options are available to you, and the percentage chance of hitting a GIR is determined by your tee shot. 

25 minutes ago, Sjdowne said:

I agree with this, in my case. When I suck off the tee I'll be worse than bogey golf, when I'm decent off the tee I can shoot about 0.5 strokes over per hole and short game becomes the limiting factor. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

24 minutes ago, Sjdowne said:

But a bad tee shot has a significant impact on your ability to hit a GIR.  I would never argue an approach isnt important, but the determining factor of how you play a hole, what options are available to you, and the percentage chance of hitting a GIR is determined by your tee shot. 

The goal is to make par at a minimum. Anything less is gravy. I don’t disagree that a good tee shot puts one in a good position to score but it doesn’t guarantee it. 

The ability to recover after a bad shot regardless of off the tee or on approach can make or break a hole as well as a round. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The most important shot in golf is the one you are about to hit. A bad tee shot reduces your chances just like a bad second shot or a bad chip or a bad putt. When you hit a bad tee shot the next shot needs to maximize your chances of getting up and down. Hitting a second bad shot is what you need to avoid. Bogeys happen, but trying to hit shots beyond your ability is why we end up with big number results.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The goal is to make par at a minimum. Anything less is gravy. I don’t disagree that a good tee shot puts one in a good position to score but it doesn’t guarantee it. 

The ability to recover after a bad shot regardless of off the tee or on approach can make or break a hole as well as a round. 

Just now, cnosil said:

The most important shot in golf is the one you are about to hit. A bad tee shot reduces your chances just like a bad second shot or a bad chip or a bad putt. When you hit a bad tee shot the next shot needs to maximize your chances of getting up and down. Hitting a second bad shot is what you need to avoid. Bogeys happen, but trying to hit shots beyond your ability is why we end up with big number results.

I agree with you both.  But how you are forced to play a hole, and your opportunities at scoring are all determined by that initial shot.   One of my proudest holes ever was one I went OB off the tee on a 450yard uphill par 4, had to go back and re-tee, and made 3 great shots for a bogey.  All shots are of import, but which one determines how the rest are forced to be played.  

I humbly retract my 'No Laying Up is played out' opinion. I listened to the podcast with Max Homa and it was excellent!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

4 hours ago, Sjdowne said:

A tee shot in the trees that requires you to punch out to get in position counts the same as chunking a chip or missing a 3 footer. Yes a good tee shot may set you up mentally for a good hole but every shot counts the same on the scorecard. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I don't care how long it takes a professional to play their round. In fact, I want it to be longer sometimes. There are plenty of golfers on the course for the coverage to switch between.

Unless i get yelled at by the general (girlfriend) for "wasting" my day watching a full round, those are the best hours of my life (unless i could be playing)....  

But i do get that amateurs imitate what they see, and hate the egregious slow play on local courses. 

Stop searching for the best club (or ball) to fix your swing fault.  Fix the swing fault first.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Am I the only one on this planet who thinks that these Barstool clowns playing major courses prior to the events is a circus?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/