TSauer

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

On 3/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, MaxEntropy said:

There is a muni near me that was designed in 1924 (by the same guy that designed Firestone South). The trees have grown a lot since then. I assume many have been trimmed/removed over the years, but there are still a few holes where it is possible to be in the fairway and not have a shot to the green because of huge trees blocking you. It's almost not fair, but it adds to the charm and difficulty.

Max ---- LOL that is what they make a 1 and 2 iron for hit you a hot worm burner and chase it up if within wedge range hit a run up 5 or 7 iron. Warning all of the described shots are as ugly as homemade sin but if executed correctly effective

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Max ---- LOL that is what they make a 1 and 2 iron for hit you a hot worm burner and chase it up if within wedge range hit a run up 5 or 7 iron. Warning all of the described shots are as ugly as homemade sin but if executed correctly effective

Yeah, I normally try shots that are well beyond my skills in those situations. It's fun to try, but I rarely practice those kind of shots. 

• Like 3

On 3/26/2019 at 10:42 AM, deejaid said:

“Professional televised golf’s sole purpose is to be a 4-hour infomercial to sell equipment.”

Think about it. No other professional televised sport relies so heavily on the viewer also being an amateur participant. You don’t see Ridell football helmet commercials during an NFL game, or a Louisville Slugger baseball bat commercial during the World Series, yet during a golf broadcast, equipment commercials are 80% percent of the ads...followed closely by Investment Firms and ED meds.

I’d wager 99% of golf viewership is by people that play the game and buy based on the commercials they see and the clubs their favorite pro plays.

If professional golf went away, how badly would it hurt the club and equipment manufacturers? While the OEM’s would suffer, would the actual game of golf be better off if we the participants focused on playing and practicing instead of consuming?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL you are exactly like me--- The latest and greatest does not move your needle.  As far as investment funds and ED meds---- I ain't got no money to invest and at 62 I do not have any ED problems yet----- And yes my favorite clubs the pros did play them back in the 50s 60s and 70s. Like I told the wide eyed kid at the course one day yes my Precisions were "FT Worth Ben Hogans" and they WERE NEW back in 1954.  LOL you younger guys can not do anything with DJ and myself we are stuck in our old school ways

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Yeah, I normally try shots that are well beyond my skills in those situations. It's fun to try, but I rarely practice those kind of shots. 

Well now that I do not seriously play anymore I practice trick shots like that because it enhances my fun. I have always practiced trick shots because they are fun and in my younger days I could not spell fairway much less find one but I was a trick shot artist with a 1 iron or 5 iron. Could get out of jail in a NY minute.

Last Saturday I tried a shot I had never practiced with a hybrid. I never have been a hybrid man but I found a little Adams I did some work on to make it anti hook for me. I had missed a fairway and was in a little sandy area with a pretty sandy lie. Normally if it had been a serious match I would have hit a punch draw 5 iron. Instead I decided to try this little 23* Adams hybrid. I hit this ugly ugly low hook that ran like the Energizer bunny darn near on the green. That shot on a scale of ugly was a 10 but it worked. I tried it on the range with several balls Sunday afternoon and it worked so it was no fluke. 

• Like 5

LOL you are exactly like me--- The latest and greatest does not move your needle.  As far as investment funds and ED meds---- I ain't got no money to invest and at 62 I do not have any ED problems yet----- And yes my favorite clubs the pros did play them back in the 50s 60s and 70s. Like I told the wide eyed kid at the course one day yes my Precisions were "FT Worth Ben Hogans" and they WERE NEW back in 1954.  LOL you younger guys can not do anything with DJ and myself we are stuck in our old school ways

I only watch The Masters and the equipment commercials aren’t nearly as prevalent during its broadcast than what I saw sitting having dinner in the lounge last week glancing up at the tv during a Thursday round of whatever tournament it was.

I’m really not that up to speed on all the new stuff, mostly only find out about it by what I read here. But you are right, not much for me to get excited about.

Now an LFF on the other hand.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

You are correct on that referring to The Villages. Those grumpy old farts over there may tar and feather you and possibly burn you at the stake for the mere mention of that

Naw, we’re not grumpy but definitely ole farts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

I like Patrick Reed. And when pro golfers struggle on hard courses.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I like it when Pro's 3 putt. I don't feel so bad when I walk off the course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Just now, tony@CIC said:

I like it when Pro's 3 putt. I don't feel so bad when I walk off the course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I like it even better when they 4 putt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Golf apparel companies trying to sell clothes that can be worn from the office to the course.  Don't be that guy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dhartmann34 said:

And when pro golfers struggle on hard courses.

I don't think that is necessarily unpopular. I take some perverse amount of joy when they muck things up (i.e. Rory at the Match Play) - it makes them more human and I can totally relate. I can't tell you how many times I have ended up with a double or worse after a very good drive.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ED13 said:

Golf apparel companies trying to sell clothes that can be worn from the office to the course.  Don't be that guy.

Several do a real good job and most people in offices wouldnt realize someobe is wearing “golf” pants and not “khakis/dockers/anynother term for non dress slacks or suit pants”

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, BIG STU said:

You are correct on that referring to The Villages. Those grumpy old farts over there may tar and feather you and possibly burn you at the stake for the mere mention of that

NM

Edited by sixcat
  • Sad 1

Done with this thread....

15 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Done with this thread....

I didn't mean to offend you if I did Rick.  I was poking a little fun at a 60 Minutes piece from a few years back that made it seem like The Villages were Studio 54 for retirees.  Like most things in modern society, media sensationalizes everything for click and views.  I have several family members and their friends who spend the winters in The Villages.  I know how overblown those perceptions are!

Again, my apologies for not making that much more clear in my original message.  I was seeking the cheap laugh and it bit me in the ass.

• Like 2

I didn't mean to offend you if I did Rick.  I was poking a little fun at a 60 Minutes piece from a few years back that made it seem like The Villages were Studio 54 for retirees.  Like most things in modern society, media sensationalizes everything for click and views.  I have several family members and their friends who spend the winters in The Villages.  I know how overblown those perceptions are!
Again, my apologies for not making that much more clear in my original message.  I was seeking the cheap laugh and it bit me in the ass.

K
No problem.......
Now, about those cranky ole farts

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

But you said all putts must be holed, that eliminates the concession. I guess I am missing your distinction between conceding and giving a hole.

I had a brain fart.  I'm allowed that once in awhile at my age.  🙄

For some reason I equated "conceding" with the loser of the hole.  There have been many times when I have made a series of really bad shots, and even though I might have had an extremely slim chance (think a 40 foot putt, and my opponent has to 3-putt), I have "conceded" before I putt.  I doubt a pro would do that.

• Like 2

Since it's April, allow me a Master's opinion- Pimento Cheese Sandwiches are totally butt. Inedible mass of gelatinous grossness.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Just now, gaussman1 said:

Since it's April, allow me a Master's opinion- Pimento Cheese Sandwiches are totally butt. Inedible mass of gelatinous grossness.

That's not unpopular...LOL....pimento cheese yucky!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

That's not unpopular...LOL....pimento cheese yucky!

1 hour ago, gaussman1 said:

Blasphemy!

edited to add @GB13 😎

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

Yay!! Another sane person!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3