TSauer

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

20 minutes ago, gaussman1 said:

Since it's April, allow me a Master's opinion- Pimento Cheese Sandwiches are totally butt. Inedible mass of gelatinous grossness.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yay!! Another sane person!! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I had a brain fart.  I'm allowed that once in awhile at my age.  🙄

For some reason I equated "conceding" with the loser of the hole.  There have been many times when I have made a series of really bad shots, and even though I might have had an extremely slim chance (think a 40 foot putt, and my opponent has to 3-putt), I have "conceded" before I putt.  I doubt a pro would do that.

A pro will concede the hole once he/she is out of the hole. See tiger vs Rory from sat on 16. Tiger had a relatively long putt and it would have taken a 4 putt to halve the hole (rare but tiger has had them this year). Rory conceded before tiger even putted his first one

• Like 2

I had a brain fart.  I'm allowed that once in awhile at my age.  
For some reason I equated "conceding" with the loser of the hole.  There have been many times when I have made a series of really bad shots, and even though I might have had an extremely slim chance (think a 40 foot putt, and my opponent has to 3-putt), I have "conceded" before I putt.  I doubt a pro would do that.

I guess you didn’t see the video of Bubba conceding a hike to Jordan while his ball was still in the air during the match play.
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I guess you didn’t see the video of Bubba conceding a hike to Jordan while his ball was still in the air during the match play.

Another great recent example 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, deejaid said:

I only watch The Masters and the equipment commercials aren’t nearly as prevalent during its broadcast than what I saw sitting having dinner in the lounge last week glancing up at the tv during a Thursday round of whatever tournament it was.

I’m really not that up to speed on all the new stuff, mostly only find out about it by what I read here. But you are right, not much for me to get excited about.

Now an LFF on the other hand....... emoji3.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL had to give you a "love it" on the LFF----- Ha Ha wonder how many on here know about a LFF? 

• Like 1

LOL had to give you a "love it" on the LFF----- Ha Ha wonder how many on here know about a LFF? 

Surely not many. I’m still looking for one. My Penna JS has a TT S300 which is a little much for me. The Mac Tourney C red label shafts in my M85 3&4 woods are perfect, a 1950’s LFF with that shaft is what I’m trying to find.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Surely not many. I’m still looking for one. My Penna JS has a TT S300 which is a little much for me. The Mac Tourney C red label shafts in my M85 3&4 woods are perfect, a 1950’s LFF with that shaft is what I’m trying to find.

LOL I bet a lot do not know what a JS is either.   I think we are talking Greek to them LOL

19 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

LOL I bet a lot do not know what a JS is either.   I think we are talking Greek to them LOL

I need a clue

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I need a clue

As old school as you are I figured you would know on those 2 items.

A JS is a persimmon deep faced Toney Penna Driver--- they are sorta rare I have only seen one in person. JS means Jupiter Slugger. Toney Penna's manufacturing facility was in Jupiter Florida. That is one big headed persimmon driver 

A "LFF" is a persimmon L-09 Tommy Armour Macgregor driver that was a special order and is extremely rare. "LFF" in the words of Tommy Armour mean "Let the F***** Fly they will be stamped on the sole LFF--- That last part has been verified by Toney Penna's nephew Charley.

Nope I do not own an example of either one wish I did--- Hopefully I will stumble upon one one day cheap which would be a pipe dream

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Jupiter Slugger.

Oh I knew that. (not really) 🏌️‍♂️

• Haha 1

Is it an unpopular opinion that even public courses struggling to maintain a viable volume of play should still police cart use and keep them off the slopes of tees and greens?

Asking for a friend who's tired of getting the 'Oh Well' shrug response to complaints to the clubhouse reps at his local muni.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Oh I knew that. (not really) 🏌️‍♂️

LOL at least you are honest. The only reason guys like DJ and myself know this is because we are classic club junkies and mess with that sort of thing all the time

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

I need a clue

My JS Model, or Jupiter Slugger. Nearly 2” high face. A big block of persimmon. . Hard to find and I stumbled upon this one on eBay.

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Yay!! Another sane person!! 

I may not be sane. But I made Pimento Cheese last year to “get in the spirit”... can’t say I care to ever eat that much cheese in one sitting again... just think about it makes me sick.

However.... I will eat one if I ever get to walk the grounds of Augusta. The one and only time. Until then I care not to see it anywhere near me. 🤢
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, GregB135 said:

Is it an unpopular opinion that even public courses struggling to maintain a viable volume of play should still police cart use and keep them off the slopes of tees and greens?

Asking for a friend who's tired of getting the 'Oh Well' shrug response to complaints to the clubhouse reps at his local muni.

When I see that at my muni, I yell at advise them to stay on the cart paths.  They have to have a blue handicap flag from the clubhouse to be that close to tees and greens.  

Actually, on the weekends the marshals are very good about helping them with course etiquette.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GregB135 said:

We have never had a big problem with this but still have offenders who think they are entitled to do whatever they want on occasion.  About two years ago, the club installed GPS on all carts and programmed "dead zones" in and around the club.  If the cart veers toward one of those "dead zones," the cart shuts off and the GPS repeats "place the cart in reverse and exit the restricted area!"  

It's worked like a charm!

I agree with GSwag.  Just ban cart and force everyone to walk!  😉

• Like 3

Augusta is overrated and represents everything wrong with golf.

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Interesting take. How so?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

From the standpoint of elitism and exorbitantly unreasonable agronomy, I absolutely agree.  

But dam if it isn't something to behold!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

From the standpoint of elitism and exorbitantly unreasonable agronomy, I absolutely agree.  

But dam if it isn't something to behold!

Unpopular opinion coming. Private clubs for one biological gender or even age for that matter regardless of activity (golf, cigar, etc) are perfectly fine. There are plenty of female only clubs of all sorts. 

With that said Augusta has opened their club tonthe kids in Sunday before the masters to host the drive, Chip, putt championships for several years now which is great chance to help the growth of the game and now they are having the women’s amateur event the week before...and 4 amatuers have declined to play there and accepted invitations to play the lpgas first major ANA inspiration 

• Like 1