Jump to content
TSauer

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, wipierce said:

I have also thought that pros should be using a smaller ball. And perhaps fewer clubs in their bags. Recreational golfers should be using same size ball as now and be allowed more clubs. Obviously this is never going to fly, but it's my unpopular opinion.

That’s what makes golf unique is that the rules at the pro level and the amateur level.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s what makes golf unique is that the rules at the pro level and the amateur level.

Quite true. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

In the spirit of our next major, let's see how y'all respond to this. My favorite major is the PGA Championship.

  1. It's sentimental to me as I'm from Louisville and Valhalla would host it every so often. Going to practice rounds at the 2000 PGA Championship was my first taste of pro golf.
  2. I love the quirky/non-traditional courses.
  3. I love the huge field that can give us random winners a la "Dude Wipes" Dufner.
  4. I love that it also gives us winners like Tiger, Brooks, Rory, etc. (For those that try the argument about how "random" golfers win it too much.
  5. And frankly, I love that it pisses people off.

I'm just glad it's going to Bethpage Black this year. Pretty excited to try and buy the MGS bag tag and ball marker again as well. Btw, my favorite majors in order are PGA, Masters, The Open, and a far flung last finish place, the US Open.337907960_dufnerhat.png.043496e46860c9ecc21c50cf778d14a3.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, aburtonky said:

In the spirit of our next major, let's see how y'all respond to this. My favorite major is the PGA Championship.

  1. It's sentimental to me as I'm from Louisville and Valhalla would host it every so often. Going to practice rounds at the 2000 PGA Championship was my first taste of pro golf.
  2. I love the quirky/non-traditional courses.
  3. I love the huge field that can give us random winners a la "Dude Wipes" Dufner.
  4. I love that it also gives us winners like Tiger, Brooks, Rory, etc. (For those that try the argument about how "random" golfers win it too much.
  5. And frankly, I love that it pisses people off.

I'm just glad it's going to Bethpage Black this year. Pretty excited to try and buy the MGS bag tag and ball marker again as well. Btw, my favorite majors in order are PGA, Masters, The Open, and a far flung last finish place, the US Open.337907960_dufnerhat.png.043496e46860c9ecc21c50cf778d14a3.png

Also, it's the toughest tournament to win all year. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The most important shot in golf is the tee shot, not the short game.  Everything you do on a hole is determined by that first shot.  If you spend 2 shots making up for a bad drive your chances at par are cut by 90+%.  Hit a good tee shot, a reasonable second, and you have the ability to 2 putt or get up and down for par.  If you're threading a shot between trees or are in a deep fairway bunker, your chance at a good hole is seriously impaired. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The US Open should not be played on ANY course constructed in the past 30 years. NONE....No Chambers Bay, No Erin Hills.  They have to demonstrate the ability to stand the test of time, develop some nuance.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Sjdowne said:

The most important shot in golf is the tee shot, not the short game.  Everything you do on a hole is determined by that first shot.  If you spend 2 shots making up for a bad drive your chances at par are cut by 90+%.  Hit a good tee shot, a reasonable second, and you have the ability to 2 putt or get up and down for par.  If you're threading a shot between trees or are in a deep fairway bunker, your chance at a good hole is seriously impaired. 

I'd agree. I'd also add that at least for me the tee shots sets me up mentally for the rest of the hole. Hit a good tee shot and I'm feeling good. Hit a lousy tee shot and I'm ticked at myself and also thinking how am I going to get out of this mess. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I would agree for US Majors.  I'm an Open Championship guy.  Completely different style of golf that we don't see in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Sjdowne said:

The most important shot in golf is the tee shot, not the short game.  Everything you do on a hole is determined by that first shot.  If you spend 2 shots making up for a bad drive your chances at par are cut by 90+%.  Hit a good tee shot, a reasonable second, and you have the ability to 2 putt or get up and down for par.  If you're threading a shot between trees or are in a deep fairway bunker, your chance at a good hole is seriously impaired. 

I’ll disagree. The second shot can have as much determination on the score as the first. A good/great tee shot doesn’t guarantee a good score. A bad shot with a good recovery shot can lead to a birdie or par as much as a good drive. Being in the fairway and missing a gir reduces the chance at birdie 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ll disagree. The second shot can have as much determination on the score as the first. A good/great tee shot doesn’t guarantee a good score. A bad shot with a good recovery shot can lead to a birdie or par as much as a good drive. Being in the fairway and missing a gir reduces the chance at birdie 

But a bad tee shot has a significant impact on your ability to hit a GIR.  I would never argue an approach isnt important, but the determining factor of how you play a hole, what options are available to you, and the percentage chance of hitting a GIR is determined by your tee shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Sjdowne said:

The most important shot in golf is the tee shot, not the short game.  Everything you do on a hole is determined by that first shot.  If you spend 2 shots making up for a bad drive your chances at par are cut by 90+%.  Hit a good tee shot, a reasonable second, and you have the ability to 2 putt or get up and down for par.  If you're threading a shot between trees or are in a deep fairway bunker, your chance at a good hole is seriously impaired. 

I agree with this, in my case. When I suck off the tee I'll be worse than bogey golf, when I'm decent off the tee I can shoot about 0.5 strokes over per hole and short game becomes the limiting factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Sjdowne said:

But a bad tee shot has a significant impact on your ability to hit a GIR.  I would never argue an approach isnt important, but the determining factor of how you play a hole, what options are available to you, and the percentage chance of hitting a GIR is determined by your tee shot. 

The goal is to make par at a minimum. Anything less is gravy. I don’t disagree that a good tee shot puts one in a good position to score but it doesn’t guarantee it. 

The ability to recover after a bad shot regardless of off the tee or on approach can make or break a hole as well as a round. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
But a bad tee shot has a significant impact on your ability to hit a GIR.  I would never argue an approach isnt important, but the determining factor of how you play a hole, what options are available to you, and the percentage chance of hitting a GIR is determined by your tee shot. 

The most important shot in golf is the one you are about to hit. A bad tee shot reduces your chances just like a bad second shot or a bad chip or a bad putt. When you hit a bad tee shot the next shot needs to maximize your chances of getting up and down. Hitting a second bad shot is what you need to avoid. Bogeys happen, but trying to hit shots beyond your ability is why we end up with big number results.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The goal is to make par at a minimum. Anything less is gravy. I don’t disagree that a good tee shot puts one in a good position to score but it doesn’t guarantee it. 

The ability to recover after a bad shot regardless of off the tee or on approach can make or break a hole as well as a round. 

 

Just now, cnosil said:


The most important shot in golf is the one you are about to hit. A bad tee shot reduces your chances just like a bad second shot or a bad chip or a bad putt. When you hit a bad tee shot the next shot needs to maximize your chances of getting up and down. Hitting a second bad shot is what you need to avoid. Bogeys happen, but trying to hit shots beyond your ability is why we end up with big number results.

I agree with you both.  But how you are forced to play a hole, and your opportunities at scoring are all determined by that initial shot.   One of my proudest holes ever was one I went OB off the tee on a 450yard uphill par 4, had to go back and re-tee, and made 3 great shots for a bogey.  All shots are of import, but which one determines how the rest are forced to be played.  

Share this post


Link to post

What you guys are saying is Every Shot Counts. That must be why Mark Broadie titled his book that way.  😄   I happen to be in the middle of reading that.  Interesting stuff.  The cliff notes version seems to be you gain/lose a little on every shot.  In fact he flat out says that at one point IIRC.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I humbly retract my 'No Laying Up is played out' opinion. I listened to the podcast with Max Homa and it was excellent!

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Sjdowne said:

The most important shot in golf is the tee shot, not the short game.  Everything you do on a hole is determined by that first shot.  If you spend 2 shots making up for a bad drive your chances at par are cut by 90+%.  Hit a good tee shot, a reasonable second, and you have the ability to 2 putt or get up and down for par.  If you're threading a shot between trees or are in a deep fairway bunker, your chance at a good hole is seriously impaired. 

A tee shot in the trees that requires you to punch out to get in position counts the same as chunking a chip or missing a 3 footer. Yes a good tee shot may set you up mentally for a good hole but every shot counts the same on the scorecard. 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't care how long it takes a professional to play their round. In fact, I want it to be longer sometimes. There are plenty of golfers on the course for the coverage to switch between.

Unless i get yelled at by the general (girlfriend) for "wasting" my day watching a full round, those are the best hours of my life (unless i could be playing)....  

But i do get that amateurs imitate what they see, and hate the egregious slow play on local courses. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Stop searching for the best club (or ball) to fix your swing fault.  Fix the swing fault first.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...