TSauer

What are some of your unpopular opinions when it comes to golf?

46 minutes ago, palvord said:

1. Trees are awful on a course and eliminate options or force only one option of how to play a hole.

There is a muni near me that was designed in 1924 (by the same guy that designed Firestone South). The trees have grown a lot since then. I assume many have been trimmed/removed over the years, but there are still a few holes where it is possible to be in the fairway and not have a shot to the green because of huge trees blocking you. It's almost not fair, but it adds to the charm and difficulty.

• Like 4

Smoking, chewing and sunflower seeds should be banned from all golf courses.

I don't take divots from your living room carpet, so don't drop your filthy habits on my tee box, fairways and greens.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Try staying out of the trees.  😄 😄 😄 

This logic of yours is flawed in the opinion of my swing.

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a few unpopular opinions.  

• The Players is NOT a major!!!!!!!!!!
  • Patrick Reed isn't as bad a person as the media would have us believe.
  • Phil Mickelson isn't as good a person as the media would have us believe.
  • TPC Courses are mostly garbage. 
  • European broadcasts are far superior to US broadcasts.
  • The par 5 number 9 at my home club should never have been allowed to be turned into a long par 4!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, the last one isn't going to raise an eyebrow on here.  The hole is a pretty severe dogleg left with water all down the right.  The green is only about 12 paces deep and is elevated with a small pond fronting the green that is about 40 yards deep.  A perfect lay-up area of about 60 yards depth sites between the pond and a creek that bisects the fairway about 100 to 110 yards short of the green.  A long, accurate tee shot would give you 200 yards into the green but as I previously stated, lots of water in play.  I used to take 4 iron, 7 iron, PW on most days and had more birdie attempts than I could count. 

Now, it's a boring driver, 8 iron hole.  The new tee box took the dogleg entirely out of the mix making it as straight as an arrow.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, sixcat said:

To take this one a step further, the European tour has a better social media presence than the USA PGA tour?

• Like 2

LPGA should play the same courses as the PGA.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, palvord said:

To take this one a step further, the European tour has a better social media presence than the USA PGA tour?

The US PGA Tour is too busy creating a Players theme song and trying to convince the world the Players is a major!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Whoa, break dancing...I may become an Olympian after all.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I won the hillbilly break dancing contest in Helen, Ga!  You had to eat a large portion of porking beans and then the festivities began.  The hillbilly or redneck who could break the most wind won a three day stay in Helen with golf at Innisbrook. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

I won the hillbilly break dancing contest in Helen, Ga!  You had to eat a large portion of porking beans and then the festivities began.  The hillbilly or redneck who could break the most wind won a three day stay in Helen with golf at Innisbrook. 

I’m sorry I missed that?

• Haha 1

Winning a WGC event is just as impressive to me as winning a major.  Bonus round: we place too much emphasis on the majors in general.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, skrupa15 said:

Winning a WGC event is just as impressive to me as winning a major.  Bonus round: we place too much emphasis on the majors in general.

That's a solid unpopular opinion. I'll raise it: we put too much emphasis on winning in general. Tony Finau had a better season than Bubba Watson last year, even though Bubba won three events and Finau never had a victory.

• Like 6

Interesting thread

Since my club has a few Symetra tour players at it I'm here to tell you that they can play and that there is no one who is posting in this thread who could make a cut in one of their tournaments - all of them are plus handicap players (if they had a handicap.)  The only guys who can hang with them at our club, and with one exception these girls are not likely to make it to the LPGA, are the ones playing on a DI scholarship or our two mini-tour players.  And the girls play the tips - 7,200 for those who think that the woman couldn't play from there in a tour event - no, they aren't as good as the players on the PGA tour but they are so far ahead of a low handicap guy as to be laughable.

So there's my first unpopular opinion and it's even more unpopular because it's based on fact.  The fact is woman professional golfers are very good.   LPGA players would have a plus 3 or 4 if they maintained a handicap and if you allowed them to play in enough tour events they would occasionally make cuts.  Brittany Lincecome broke par at a PGA tour event last summer.  She's a good LPGA player but not a top tier player.

Another very unpopular opinion is that most guys who game player's irons shouldn't if their goal is to shoot the lowest possible score.  If they do it because they like the way they look I can respect them for it because golf should always be fun - that last part is popular I hope.

Another one is that guys act the same way about golf as we do about asking directions - rather than doing it the easy way we will always choose the more difficult path - no lessons, no fittings because the pro may "mess with my swing."  No kidding, you aren't a scratch player because of your swing, of course he's going to mess with it.  Why else would you want to take a lesson? 

My final one is simply a matter of taste - I don't like Arnold Palmer's courses - they always seem too gimmicky to me - love Palmer, don't like his courses at all - including Bayhill which I played once and wouldn't likely play again given all the other great choices in the Orlando area.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, sixcat said:

I have a few unpopular opinions.  

• The Players is NOT a major!!!!!!!!!!
  • Patrick Reed isn't as bad a person as the media would have us believe.
  • Phil Mickelson isn't as good a person as the media would have us believe.
  • TPC Courses are mostly garbage. 
  • The par 5 number 9 at my home club should never have been allowed to be turned into a long par 4!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, the last one isn't going to raise an eyebrow on here.  The hole is a pretty severe dogleg left with water all down the right.  The green is only about 12 paces deep and is elevated with a small pond fronting the green that is about 40 yards deep.  A perfect lay-up area of about 60 yards depth sites between the pond and a creek that bisects the fairway about 100 to 110 yards short of the green.  A long, accurate tee shot would give you 200 yards into the green but as I previously stated, lots of water in play.  I used to take 4 iron, 7 iron, PW on most days and had more birdie attempts than I could count. 

Now, it's a boring driver, 8 iron hole.  The new tee box took the dogleg entirely out of the mix making it as straight as an arrow.

I agree 100% with both of those statements, but with the caveat that I do believe Phil has made improvements in his personal life.  On Reed, people who have never come from a dysfunctional/unhealthy family have no clue.  There's always two sides to a coin and I believe he's been made out to be much worse than he really is.  Is he flawless, heck no, but I'd wager a month's salary that he's not the worst guy on tour.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

That's a solid unpopular opinion. I'll raise it: we put too much emphasis on winning in general. Tony Finau had a better season than Bubba Watson last year, even though Bubba won three events and Finau never had a victory.

If you ain't first, you're last.  Consistency is important for winning a season long championship, which Finau didn't do either, but I think more emphasis should be placed on winning.  Maybe reward more FedEx points.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I try not to have favorites so I’m happy to see any touring pro turn in a winning performance, as long as it’s not Sergio or Bryson.

Some of the rules are still silly IMO, but the new rules are an improvement.

Slow play is still an issue, and watching the pros routines on greens doesn’t help. Way too many amateurs mimic pros...

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skrupa15 said:

You win the thread award for most unpopular opinion!  😉

No way I agree with either of those!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lungbuster said:

I agree 100% with both of those statements, but with the caveat that I do believe Phil has made improvements in his personal life.  On Reed, people who have never come from a dysfunctional/unhealthy family have no clue.  There's always two sides to a coin and I believe he's been made out to be much worse than he really is.  Is he flawless, heck no, but I'd wager a month's salary that he's not the worst guy on tour.

My wife's aunt lived next door to the Reed family in the Augusta area from roughly 2007 until she retired and downsized in 2013.  Definitely dysfunctional!

• Like 1

"Tiger Woods won’t be around to drive the bus forever."

• Like 3

$500.00+ for a driver is way too expensive to me.

• Like 2

Golf carts are for lazy people and old guys....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I think [mention=71158]GSwag[/mention]'s course would be out of business in a few months.

Yup, that’s a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1