TESTERS WANTED! ×

Steel or Graphite?

Steel or Graphite Shafts  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What type shaft do you have on your irons?

• Steel
    • Graphite
    • Combination

I'm curious how many are playing steel vs. graphite shafts on their irons/hybrids?  I've never considered graphite and my most recent fittings (fitters) never mentioned that as an option.  One of the guys in our group just purchased a set of G410's with graphite shafts.  He's 62, in great shape, roughly a 30 handicap, and generates high club head speed.  I asked why he got the graphite shafts and he said that was what the fitter recommended.  What are the key reasons for choosing one vs. the other?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I switched to graphite over a year ago for my irons. I was needing a a higher launch and I was struggling with golfers elbow from hit the ground so much. I picked up 10 extra yards per club and have less joint pain. I play 80 plus rounds a year and I am at the range 4 days a week.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

15 minutes ago, Dopds said:

I switched to graphite over a year ago for my irons. I was needing a a higher launch and I was struggling with golfers elbow from hit the ground so much. I picked up 10 extra yards per club and have less joint pain. I play 80 plus rounds a year and I am at the range 4 days a week.

Well, I can see that the choice isn't tailored for higher handicaps 😉. Actually, this is something I've heard bantered about - graphite is for senior guys with higher handicaps.  It would be great if I was able to also add age of the poll responses to see if there is correlation.

I've been playing AeroTech SteelFiber i80-R shafts for about 4.5 years. These are the first and only graphite (actually a graphite/steel hybrid) shafts I've ever played. Love them and honestly I'm not sure why. The reason I say this is because my clubs were custom fit and built. I have nothing to compare them too besides older poorly-fit irons. My fitter suggested them and I said sure, why not. I don't have any aliments where perhaps a graphite shaft might help so I can't comment on that. Some people claim they experience more distance and higher ball flights. I didn't (maybe a couple of yards) gain distance but I wasn't looking for that when I was fit. My sole focus at the time was accuracy-consistency and... a tighter shot dispersion. Which I believe by fitter/builder provided. These irons I'm playing have been the best performing irons I've ever played. They have great feel for all reasons. Aside from the fit I believe perhaps more importantly is the fact that my fitter hand builds each club to exacting tolerances and specs. 

I'm sure if had gone into my fitting asking for a higher ball flight he could have enabled that. Same with distance. However, all my irons are all set to traditional lofts. ie... not strengthened for distance like most irons today.  Anyway... I like AeroTech shafts and they're an option you can consider.

BTW.. I'm now 64 with a 5 hcp.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great post!

I'm 50 and have a fairly severe service-connected injury to my left hand & wrist that I've dealt with for the past 30+ years. Nerve damage has left my index & middle fingers without feeling and the range-of-motion with my wrist is not 100%. Arthritis in it means I'm a fairly decent predictor of barometric pressure changes and really should take on a side job with the local weathermen... Anyhow when I first got the bug to dive into golf, my first set of irons had reg-flex steel shafts and playing with those just beat the Hell out of me. The part of my hand where it connects to the wrist behind the pinky would just be super sore and swell up into a knot. Anything more than a small bucket followed by a round of 18 would just destroy me.

Not too long after I saw this trend, I began researching graphite shafts to see if their properties could possibly alleviate my issue a bit. Ultimately I decided to sell off the steel-shafted irons and got a set with r-flex graphite's from top to bottom after reading on here and other sources. Right away I noticed a positive difference and no longer came home from rounds wondering if I should just have the damn thing chopped off and replaced with some sort of claw. Since then I've upgraded my shafts to stiff graphite and even with their less-flexible characteristics, I still no longer get beat up during practice or during a round like I did before.

With today's technology which many of these shaft manufacturers continue to develop and expand upon, I can see many other benefits to graphite over steel besides my needed "softness(?)". They can do so much more within the structure of a graphite shaft to morph its properties to obtain optimum "everything" that would (at least to me) make having graphite seem like a no-brainer and I wonder why we don't see the some of the younger Pro's embrace that. I suppose that has more to do with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle, but I bet we start seeing some up-and-comers start playing graphite more & more often sometime soon. I'm actually surprised that Bryson hasn't tinkered with his. The tech involved is right up his alley I would think...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I play steel, but I am seriously considering switching to graphite. I play a lot, and have some arthritis in my hands. A friend of mine that is a Titleist fitter recommended graphite just to reduce the stress on my body. I tried graphite about four years ago, and wasn't crazy about it. I guess I'll just have to stick with it, and adjust.

I bought a set of Ben Hogan CFT’s with graphite shafts in 2004 (or so) but didn’t really like them. That was sort of the start of my experimenting with shafts. Probably over 100 different combos of head types and shafts but had pretty much stuck with 5 iron and below steel and graphite above.

I switched to graphite in all my irons this year because of a severe elbow injury last year. After I was finally able to make full swings (8 months later) I noticed that after the round, the impact with the ground would cause swelling for a couple of days.

I’ve had Project X PXv 6.0 in my Mizzy MP FLI HI 3&4 irons for quite some time and would have to say they were my favorites based on launch, spin, control, etc., so, I install these in all my irons several weeks ago. They had the added benefit of being cheap because the are “old”.

I am happy with the graphite iron shafts.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I started out playing golf in the early 1990's playing steel shafts because graphite was just showing up but wasn't very good yet.  Our pro in 2008 went to graphite for awhile but he had problems with distance control.  He's hit a bunch of good shots, then for some reason a shot would fly the green.  He went back to steel.

I finally made the switch to graphite in 2012 with a set of Ping i20's.  Still have them; still like them, but in 2017 I bought a set of Bridgestone JGR Forged Hybrid irons with Nippon Zelos 8 regular flex steel shafts.  These shafts are 84g which is extremely light for steel.  I like these shafts a lot.  I have arthritis in my wrists, but I don't notice any difference in feel between the steel in the Bridgestones and the graphite in the Pings.  I also reshafted my SCOR wedges with the Nippon shaft to match.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

First Aerotech steel fibers in stiff, now recoil 760 smacwrap in regular flex. I play 4-5 times a week and they’ve saved my elbows and knuckles

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

8 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Right away I noticed a positive difference and no longer came home from rounds wondering if I should just have the damn thing chopped off and replaced with some sort of claw. Since then I've upgraded my shafts to stiff graphite and even with their less-flexible characteristics, I still no longer get beat up during practice or during a round like I did before.

That is an interesting aspect/benefit of graphite.  I've hit some clunkers over the years that resonated all the way into my fillings 😬.  

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

First Aerotech steel fibers in stiff, now recoil 760 smacwrap in regular flex. I play 4-5 times a week and they’ve saved my elbows and knuckles

Improved distance?  Any tradeoff in accuracy?  I've hit a few of my friends graphite shafts and they don't seem that different - certainly much lighter. What I've read thus far suggests most can gain 2-6 mph in clubhead speed and the corresponding increased distance.  The issue can often be increased shot dispersion.  

Today I hit the G410 with the stock graphite, AWT, and Project X 5.5 LZ shafts.  I really didn't find a whole lot of difference between them in feel.  The LM data was really close for all of them - the AWT's yielding a few yards more carry and slightly lower spin.  So far, nothing is leading me away from steel.

I FINALLY made the move to graphite this past week and I LOVE the feel it provides me!   I'll never go back to steel, ever. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

27 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That is an interesting aspect/benefit of graphite.  I've hit some clunkers over the years that resonated all the way into my fillings 😬.  

Improved distance?  Any tradeoff in accuracy?  I've hit a few of my friends graphite shafts and they don't seem that different - certainly much lighter. What I've read thus far suggests most can gain 2-6 mph in clubhead speed and the corresponding increased distance.  The issue can often be increased shot dispersion.  

Today I hit the G410 with the stock graphite, AWT, and Project X 5.5 LZ shafts.  I really didn't find a whole lot of difference between them in feel.  The LM data was really close for all of them - the AWT's yielding a few yards more carry and slightly lower spin.  So far, nothing is leading me away from steel.

Completely different clubs, so I can’t say about distance. When I’m locked in on the range, disbursing is fine.

main benefit is joint pain, or helping getting relief from it. 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

37 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That is an interesting aspect/benefit of graphite.  I've hit some clunkers over the years that resonated all the way into my fillings 😬

I've heard this before, but luckily have never experienced it myself to be honest... The SteelFibers and such folks like @PlaidJacket & @Sluggo42 have mentioned above have intrigued me for a while, but I simply have not had a chance to try anything with them yet, though I sometimes see set with them for sale every once and again. They are quite expensive too from many of the channels I see.

I'm simply sold on the irons with graphite shafts concept...100% in even in the future.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I voted steel since that's what I have in the D300s, but I prefer the feel of graphite. That's what I had in the D200s as well as by Cleveland 588s. It's just a smoother feel for me, and as a slower swinger I like the extra height that graphites have always given me. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I had an elbow surgery several years ago and when I started to play more regularly, I noticed my elbow would start to get sore about 12 holes in.  That was with a set of Ping i20's with stiff steel shafts.  Went to C200's with Aldila Rogue shafts, and don't experience the soreness anymore.  

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I have played graphite for the past 16 years as my left wrist was shattered in 1998 and I have limited range of motion. The graphite absorbs most of the vibration when I hi5 the ground, or ball. Currently, I game the UST Mamiya Recoil 460 graphite shafts and love the performance.

BTW, I am 68.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I switched to graphite when I rebuilt my Maltbys in 2016 because I wanted and prefer a lighter shaft. I'm using a Recoil 760 F4 and love them. When I got the Bridgestones I was lucky enough to have those as a choice of shafts, so I got them.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Currently playing steel, though my goal is to give graphite a serious look with my next set of irons.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I voted steel but my wife got me the same clubs I game in graphite.  Taking them to Florida this week so may change my vote when I get back.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

My current set that is getting replaced has graphite.  I was leaning toward lightweight steel or maybe the steel fiber shafts, but testing out different shafts on Trackman convinced me to stay with graphite.  New sticks in production with KBS Tour Graphite 70 shafts.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I don't know how many people watch Golfholics on YouTube (while I'm stuck with snow, I live vicariously through everyone on YT), but Mike was fitted at Fujikura for the Pro 95 Tour Stiff shafts. That's what made me go down the route of researching graphite and ultimately my decision to want graphite in my next irons.

As far as I can tell, the Pro 95s and some of the Steelfibers are about the only graphite shafts currently on the market in near steel weights.

EDIT: I add this is anecdotal evidence that graphite is here to stay and will get more popular. Mike hits the ball a long ways and is in his mid 30s. At some point I'm sure we'll see it overtake steel on the lightweight end of the spectrum for a lot of players.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

3 hours ago, 00sportsman said:

I had an elbow surgery several years ago and when I started to play more regularly, I noticed my elbow would start to get sore about 12 holes in.  That was with a set of Ping i20's with stiff steel shafts.  Went to C200's with Aldila Rogue shafts, and don't experience the soreness anymore.  

Your's and others experience with improved ergonomics are something I really hadn't considered much.  I sometimes get a bit of left elbow joint soreness and have considered wearing a pressure band. Now reading that a good many of the Champions Tour players have switched to composite shafts - definitely something to consider in my decision to change irons.

For hybrids I would say there are very few non tour level pros playing steel in them.

i have some recoils on the way to install in another set of irons. I want to get back to playing graphite from a long term health standpoint plus I’m a fan of ust as a brand and want to put as many of their shafts in play.

i look at t like this. You play graphite in your driver and woods why not the irons

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

23 hours ago, edingc said:

I don't know how many people watch Golfholics on YouTube (while I'm stuck with snow, I live vicariously through everyone on YT), but Mike was fitted at Fujikura for the Pro 95 Tour Stiff shafts. That's what made me go down the route of researching graphite and ultimately my decision to want graphite in my next irons.

As far as I can tell, the Pro 95s and some of the Steelfibers are about the only graphite shafts currently on the market in near steel weights.

EDIT: I add this is anecdotal evidence that graphite is here to stay and will get more popular. Mike hits the ball a long ways and is in his mid 30s. At some point I'm sure we'll see it overtake steel on the lightweight end of the spectrum for a lot of players.

There are several manufacturers that make Graphite shafts in heavier weights and in a broad price range.  We've reached a point where graphite can perform like steel and steel shafts can be quite light, as light as graphite quite frankly.  For me the switch was easy - my body doesn't do well with hitting a lot of shots.  While there are some steel shafts that mitigate against vibration they don't seem to do as good a job of it as the graphite ones - there's not really any difference in performance although I'm sure there's a difference in feel - I don't really care about that aspect as much as I do about feeling less pain in my joints so its graphite for me!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I recently did my iron fitting and be relatively new to golf and still working on my swing and flexibility, I cant produce a higher swing speed as easy. With my 7 iron I was getting 76-78 mph and decent distance on a few different steel shafts. I tried out some graphite shafts and was around 85-87mph and the dispersion was less as well. The flight was overall better, a little more spin and higher launch which helps me since I'm a bit of a picker that doesnt get it up in the air as well as I would like. 

So in my new irons I will be playing the Recoil 760 w/ smacwrap. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

On 3/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, patrickleeleep said:

I recently did my iron fitting and be relatively new to golf and still working on my swing and flexibility, I cant produce a higher swing speed as easy. With my 7 iron I was getting 76-78 mph and decent distance on a few different steel shafts. I tried out some graphite shafts and was around 85-87mph and the dispersion was less as well. The flight was overall better, a little more spin and higher launch which helps me since I'm a bit of a picker that doesnt get it up in the air as well as I would like. 

So in my new irons I will be playing the Recoil 760 w/ smacwrap. 

Wow, that is significant difference/improvement.

Well, thus far, steel is still favored but lots of love out there for composite.  As time rolls by this gap will undoubtedly close.  If choosing a new iron hasn't proven difficult enough (for me at least), have a peek at the shaft selection drop down menus when configuring a club on-line - mind numbing.  A composite shaft option wasn't even offered/discussed at my iron fitting... ohh, the horror of it all 😱.

14 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Wow, that is significant difference/improvement.

I thought the same thing. I wasnt trying overly heavy shafts or anything either. Some 95, some 105. I do hear a lot about confidence when hitting different combinations. Watching TXG videos you hear it. Maybe that had something to do with it as well. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

I answered the poll as both as my two utility irons have AD DI graphite in them and I play light weight steel in my irons.  Over the past few years I switched from steel to graphite in my irons and have played Steel Fibers 110 and Recoil 110 both in X flex.  Both of these were great in the heads that I had them in and figured that I would be in graphite for the rest of my life to save my elbow from blowing up.  I ended up with XP 105s in my current set and had sensicore inserts installed and so far so good.  That being said I would go back to graphite tomorrow with no issue at all and honestly feel this will become the norm for irons over the next several years.

On a related not the oTI shafts are the best that I have hit.  Buddy of mine has them in his irons and they were head and shoulders above anything else I have hit in terms of feel and dispersion.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I tried i95 Steelfiber in some Srixon z545 irons I had, and I liked the feel, but the dispersion wasn’t very good. I bought a couple Recoil shafts in different weights and flexes and tried them in a couple irons, but saw the same thing. I’ve heard great stuff about Program shafts, and other exotic versions, but I’ve not tried them in fittings, and I just didn’t see a dispersion advantage when I did try them on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX