TESTERS WANTED! ×

Steel or Graphite?

Steel or Graphite Shafts  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What type shaft do you have on your irons?

• Steel
    • Graphite
    • Combination

I loved my recoils, but here I am now, back to steel...

probably until my elbow starts hurting again

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 9:15 PM, Sluggo42 said:

I loved my recoils, but here I am now, back to steel...

probably until my elbow starts hurting again

Now that's commitment 😄.  I really wish my fitter had more composite options to test.  I fully suspect there is a good match out there.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 months later...

Anyone considering trying graphite shafts in their irons needs to remember that changing the specs of your iron shafts WILL CHANGE YOUR SWING!! If you successfully use 120g/1.5* steel, 80g/3* graphite, of the same flex, is going to feel like a joke.

I switched from TT DG S300 to graphite in my irons at 50 due to arthritis pain in hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders. I am now 57, play to an 8 and have a 6i SS around 90. I play/practice at least 5 times a week. I have tried several different models, but prefer the Aldila RIP Tour 115 R (more like a strong S), Recoil Proto 125 F4 & SF i110/125 S (SWs at D6) in that order. I play blades, deloft the club a fair bit, like to work the ball and swing with considerable authority. Wasn't looking for more distance and haven't noticed getting any. With the three shafts I noted, I can flight the ball just like I always did with steel and have no issues in the wind. Periodically I play with rentals that have steel in them and see no benefit from it over graphite. I just have more pain afterwards.

If you're looking to try graphite iron shafts, find some that have specs very similar to your steel shafts. You won't have any problem switching.

BT

13 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

Anyone considering trying graphite shafts in their irons needs to remember that changing the specs of your iron shafts WILL CHANGE YOUR SWING!! If you successfully use 120g/1.5* steel, 80g/3* graphite, of the same flex, is going to feel like a joke.

I switched from TT DG S300 to graphite in my irons at 50 due to arthritis pain in hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders. I am now 57, play to an 8 and have a 6i SS around 90. I play/practice at least 5 times a week. I have tried several different models, but prefer the Aldila RIP Tour 115 R (more like a strong S), Recoil Proto 125 F4 & SF i110/125 S (SWs at D6) in that order. I play blades, deloft the club a fair bit, like to work the ball and swing with considerable authority. Wasn't looking for more distance and haven't noticed getting any. With the three shafts I noted, I can flight the ball just like I always did with steel and have no issues in the wind. Periodically I play with rentals that have steel in them and see no benefit from it over graphite. I just have more pain afterwards.

If you're looking to try graphite iron shafts, find some that have specs very similar to your steel shafts. You won't have any problem switching.

BT

What data supports that your swing will change? I have made the switch twice to recoil and there’s been no swing change either time. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm making the switch from steel to graphite in my irons in this new set.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

17 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

... I found something similar when I started playing graphite in my irons. Switching from 130gm DGS300s to 130gm NV Tours was seamless. Dropping to NV Pro 105's was not a problem either as well as moving to VS Proto 100's. I figured to keep the experiment going and started playing VS Proto 85's and that is when my swing started changing because they were just too light for me to maintain my tempo. Successfully playing Recoil 95's showed me 95gms and a slightly heavier swing weight at D4 was as light as I could play without my swing changing. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

34 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What data supports that your swing will change? I have made the switch twice to recoil and there’s been no swing change either time. 

Pretty much any data that you want to dig up on fitting. Going from a fitted shaft to something very different typically affects the golfer adversely. At your hcp, I doubt very seriously that you changed to a shaft with considerably different specs. I suspect you did something similar to what I did which was keep the weight, bend profile and other specs as close as possible to your steel shafts. Mind telling us what you changed from and to?

BT

40 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

Pretty much any data that you want to dig up on fitting. Going from a fitted shaft to something very different typically affects the golfer adversely. At your hcp, I doubt very seriously that you changed to a shaft with considerably different specs. I suspect you did something similar to what I did which was keep the weight, bend profile and other specs as close as possible to your steel shafts. Mind telling us what you changed from and to?

BT

I went from s300 to recoil 110 and could have gone to recoil 95. I’ve also bounced from s300 to 105g steel shafts.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

35 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I went from s300 to recoil 110 and could have gone to recoil 95. I’ve also bounced from s300 to 105g steel shafts.

So you dropped 15-20 g when you switched. That is far from the 40g (120g to 80g) that I mentioned in my first post.  Seen many try to make the change from heavy steel to light graphite and be very unhappy with the results. 15-20 g is considered a small change for most people. Properly balanced, most golfers would not even notice.

BTW, why didn't you go to Recoil 95?

BT

55 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

So you dropped 15-20 g when you switched. That is far from the 40g (120g to 80g) that I mentioned in my first post.  Seen many try to make the change from heavy steel to light graphite and be very unhappy with the results. 15-20 g is considered a small change for most people. Properly balanced, most golfers would not even notice.

BT

I believe this is me now (although it was a club change too) I went from my steel shafts being like 105g and now my graphite recoils are like 67g and Im now spraying it all over because it almost seems like I cant get the timing synce up with such a big change. This is also 6 months after owning these new shafts. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

... If you guys playing very light graphite shafts have a problem maintaining your tempo but you still wan't to play light shafts or just don't wanna give up after buying them, try adding some lead tape to the heads. Start with one iron and add two strips and see if this helps fool your brain. Initially I found my 95gm Recoils to be just a little lighter than ideal and I added lead tape increasing my swing weight to D4 from D2 and it really helped me. I think it might be worth a try. 

49 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If you guys playing very light graphite shafts have a problem maintaining your tempo but you still wan't to play light shafts or just don't wanna give up after buying them, try adding some lead tape to the heads. Start with one iron and add two strips and see if this helps fool your brain. Initially I found my 95gm Recoils to be just a little lighter than ideal and I added lead tape increasing my swing weight to D4 from D2 and it really helped me. I think it might be worth a try. 

This si the first time I've really thought about it in terms of swing weight. Just saw this off a website. So if my P790 with the regular shaft comes in at D2, then a shaft 40g lighter would change it to what? a C8 swingweight? If thats correct. I know the graphite shafts play a little longer to help increase swingweight but dont know the number. That seems like a huge difference to me though.

Shaft Weight Adjustments

Golfers can adjust the swingweight of their golf club by changing the weight of the shaft in their club. Assuming the shaft is not increased or decreased in length, an increase of 9 grams in shaft weight will increase swingweight by approximately one swingweight point (increase from D3 to D4, for example). Conversely, a decrease by 9 grams in shaft weight will decrease the swingweight by approximately one swingweight point.

Edited by patrickleeleep

... It all depends on your graphite shaft. I have only used the Recoil 95/110 and Prototype 95's. But many graphite shafts have a lower balance point so swing weight stays the same as heavier steel or only drops a few points. I also play mine at 1/4" which helps maintain swing weight too. 

5 hours ago, RI_Redneck said:

Anyone considering trying graphite shafts in their irons needs to remember that changing the specs of your iron shafts WILL CHANGE YOUR SWING!!

2 hours ago, RI_Redneck said:

BT

The quote from your first post indicates any change from steel to graphite. The second part as you mention here is note accurate. Had you said purely the large drop in weight most if not everyone would agree that big of a change would have an effect. 

I chose the 110 because I didn’t want to go too light and I stayed away from the 125s as both the Lindsay from UST and myself agreed the 110s would be better fit late in the round as fatigue sets in.

New shafts coming from Nippon
IMG_0588.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Well I have some lead tape now and also bought some of the tungsten weights. Going to experiment with that first and bump the irons up 2 or so swing weights and see how they feel when I play this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The quote from your first post indicates any change from steel to graphite. The second part as you mention here is note accurate. Had you said purely the large drop in weight most if not everyone would agree that big of a change would have an effect. 

I chose the 110 because I didn’t want to go too light and I stayed away from the 125s as both the Lindsay from UST and myself agreed the 110s would be better fit late in the round as fatigue sets in.

Actually, if you read the entire sentence, it says that changing the specs of your iron shafts will change your swing. And if you read the next one, it gives an example of the types of changes to which I am referring. I apologize for writing such long posts that require excessive attention to interpret. Thanks for splitting hairs!

Cheers.

BT

39 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

Actually, if you read the entire sentence, it says that changing the specs of your iron shafts will change your swing. And if you read the next one, it gives an example of the types of changes to which I am referring. I apologize for writing such long posts that require excessive attention to interpret. Thanks for splitting hairs!

Cheers.

BT

Instead of splitting hairs over a statement that is open to interpretation we will have to agree to disagree that changes in specs changes swings. 

Well... did some tinkering with some lead tape on the irons. Added about 6-7g on the 7, 8, 9, PW. Played this morning and man, huge difference in ball flight. My swing felt much smoother and the ball had no erratic snaps to the left or right. Absolutely loving the difference. Now to try it out with the 5, 6, and AW.

P790s, Recoil 760 F3(67g), 6-7g lead tape on the heads. In love with the irons again.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have played graphite for most of my playing time started in 1991 just shy of 40 years old, played steel stiff, original rifle shafts; and then graphite to save my hands and wrists. I first tried soft grips but when that did not work moved to graphite. First graphite was in Macgregor vip's stiff graphite, then ping I10's with senior and now ping 400's and glide 2 wedges with senior shafts. Only that has steel shaft is Ping Sigma 2 Arna putter.

Lite shaft are a boon to those like me with no violence in their swing.

Forgot to add to my earlier posts, but I typically add the Rubber Tungsten tip weights available online for fine swingweighting. I get the 10g weights and trim them to get things just right. I haven't had to add more than 10g to any set of irons to get them where I want them.

BT

• 1 month later...

I just switched to graphite and I have been impressed by the added consistency. The feel is some what lacking but I like the performance. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

2 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I just switched to graphite and I have been impressed by the added consistency. The feel is some what lacking but I like the performance. 

... I think feel and vibration dampning are the real benefits of playing graphite in irons. I had tendonitis and switched from DGS300's to NV Tour shafts that were 130gm and even less torque than steel at 1.5*. Performance was equal although at first they felt dead to me after only playing steel my entire golfing life. But after a few weeks I realized the feel was still there, but with reduced vibration it just feels a little different. I think if you stick with them, you will start getting the same kind of feel on mishits, just much more subtle. And of course dead center with graphite feels like almost nothing. 

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I think feel and vibration dampning are the real benefits of playing graphite in irons. I had tendonitis and switched from DGS300's to NV Tour shafts that were 130gm and even less torque than steel at 1.5*. Performance was equal although at first they felt dead to me after only playing steel my entire golfing life. But after a few weeks I realized the feel was still there, but with reduced vibration it just feels a little different. I think if you stick with them, you will start getting the same kind of feel on mishits, just much more subtle. And of course dead center with graphite feels like almost nothing. 

I would agree. The feedback is just different. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 10/3/2019 at 4:18 PM, chisag said:

... It all depends on your graphite shaft. I have only used the Recoil 95/110 and Prototype 95's. But many graphite shafts have a lower balance point so swing weight stays the same as heavier steel or only drops a few points. I also play mine at 1/4" which helps maintain swing weight too. 

Do you use lead tape on any of your clubs?  Regrettably, my fitter did not have a good selection of graphite shaft options to test and the PING option was a no go.  How significant is the difference between distributed weight (shaft design itself) vs. added point weight on shaft flex? Certainly one can match overall club weight doing so, but what is the trade-off?  I'm hoping some of the demo days while I'm here in Yuma will afford an opportunity to test some graphite shafts.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 3/10/2019 at 11:28 AM, Dopds said:

I switched to graphite over a year ago for my irons. I was needing a a higher launch and I was struggling with golfers elbow from hit the ground so much. I picked up 10 extra yards per club and have less joint pain. I play 80 plus rounds a year and I am at the range 4 days a week.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Same here.

Elbow pain is what made me switch, and I gained height and distance also. I actually play a little more often then you, but practice a lot less, LOL.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Do you use lead tape on any of your clubs?  Regrettably, my fitter did not have a good selection of graphite shaft options to test and the PING option was a no go.  How significant is the difference between distributed weight (shaft design itself) vs. added point weight on shaft flex? Certainly one can match overall club weight doing so, but what is the trade-off?  I'm hoping some of the demo days while I'm here in Yuma will afford an opportunity to test some graphite shafts.

... Quite honestly I could get by with no lead tape but since I have the equipment, why not get them perfect. Usually off by 1/2 a swing weight point and maybe an iron or 2 off by 1 full swing weight but most would never be able to tell a difference. 1 swing weight point will not change the performance of the shaft at all, so zero effect from added weight.