fixyurdivot

Steel or Graphite?

Steel or Graphite Shafts  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What type shaft do you have on your irons?

• Steel
    • Graphite
    • Combination

Our Sponsors

I loved my recoils, but here I am now, back to steel...

probably until my elbow starts hurting again

• Haha 1

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

I prefer graphite shafts as i have found that my accuracy has imprved and my distance has increased. Since switching to graphite my handicap has dropped from 17 to a 13.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2019 at 9:15 PM, Sluggo42 said:

I loved my recoils, but here I am now, back to steel...

probably until my elbow starts hurting again

Now that's commitment 😄.  I really wish my fitter had more composite options to test.  I fully suspect there is a good match out there.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Anyone considering trying graphite shafts in their irons needs to remember that changing the specs of your iron shafts WILL CHANGE YOUR SWING!! If you successfully use 120g/1.5* steel, 80g/3* graphite, of the same flex, is going to feel like a joke.

I switched from TT DG S300 to graphite in my irons at 50 due to arthritis pain in hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders. I am now 57, play to an 8 and have a 6i SS around 90. I play/practice at least 5 times a week. I have tried several different models, but prefer the Aldila RIP Tour 115 R (more like a strong S), Recoil Proto 125 F4 & SF i110/125 S (SWs at D6) in that order. I play blades, deloft the club a fair bit, like to work the ball and swing with considerable authority. Wasn't looking for more distance and haven't noticed getting any. With the three shafts I noted, I can flight the ball just like I always did with steel and have no issues in the wind. Periodically I play with rentals that have steel in them and see no benefit from it over graphite. I just have more pain afterwards.

If you're looking to try graphite iron shafts, find some that have specs very similar to your steel shafts. You won't have any problem switching.

BT

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

Anyone considering trying graphite shafts in their irons needs to remember that changing the specs of your iron shafts WILL CHANGE YOUR SWING!! If you successfully use 120g/1.5* steel, 80g/3* graphite, of the same flex, is going to feel like a joke.

I switched from TT DG S300 to graphite in my irons at 50 due to arthritis pain in hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders. I am now 57, play to an 8 and have a 6i SS around 90. I play/practice at least 5 times a week. I have tried several different models, but prefer the Aldila RIP Tour 115 R (more like a strong S), Recoil Proto 125 F4 & SF i110/125 S (SWs at D6) in that order. I play blades, deloft the club a fair bit, like to work the ball and swing with considerable authority. Wasn't looking for more distance and haven't noticed getting any. With the three shafts I noted, I can flight the ball just like I always did with steel and have no issues in the wind. Periodically I play with rentals that have steel in them and see no benefit from it over graphite. I just have more pain afterwards.

If you're looking to try graphite iron shafts, find some that have specs very similar to your steel shafts. You won't have any problem switching.

BT

What data supports that your swing will change? I have made the switch twice to recoil and there’s been no swing change either time. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm making the switch from steel to graphite in my irons in this new set.  

• Like 2

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:   :titelist-small:  TS2 9.5* UST ATTAS COOOL 

Fairways  :titelist-small: HZRDUS Smoke 13.5*

Driving Iron:  :titelist-small: U500 17* UST V2

Irons  :titelist-small: T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X Catalyst 100cw

Wedges  :vokey-small: SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter  :cameron-small:  Newport  

Ball  :titelist-small: 2020 AVX

17 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

... I found something similar when I started playing graphite in my irons. Switching from 130gm DGS300s to 130gm NV Tours was seamless. Dropping to NV Pro 105's was not a problem either as well as moving to VS Proto 100's. I figured to keep the experiment going and started playing VS Proto 85's and that is when my swing started changing because they were just too light for me to maintain my tempo. Successfully playing Recoil 95's showed me 95gms and a slightly heavier swing weight at D4 was as light as I could play without my swing changing. 

• Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

34 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What data supports that your swing will change? I have made the switch twice to recoil and there’s been no swing change either time. 

Pretty much any data that you want to dig up on fitting. Going from a fitted shaft to something very different typically affects the golfer adversely. At your hcp, I doubt very seriously that you changed to a shaft with considerably different specs. I suspect you did something similar to what I did which was keep the weight, bend profile and other specs as close as possible to your steel shafts. Mind telling us what you changed from and to?

BT

40 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

Pretty much any data that you want to dig up on fitting. Going from a fitted shaft to something very different typically affects the golfer adversely. At your hcp, I doubt very seriously that you changed to a shaft with considerably different specs. I suspect you did something similar to what I did which was keep the weight, bend profile and other specs as close as possible to your steel shafts. Mind telling us what you changed from and to?

BT

I went from s300 to recoil 110 and could have gone to recoil 95. I’ve also bounced from s300 to 105g steel shafts.

35 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I went from s300 to recoil 110 and could have gone to recoil 95. I’ve also bounced from s300 to 105g steel shafts.

So you dropped 15-20 g when you switched. That is far from the 40g (120g to 80g) that I mentioned in my first post.  Seen many try to make the change from heavy steel to light graphite and be very unhappy with the results. 15-20 g is considered a small change for most people. Properly balanced, most golfers would not even notice.

BTW, why didn't you go to Recoil 95?

BT

55 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

So you dropped 15-20 g when you switched. That is far from the 40g (120g to 80g) that I mentioned in my first post.  Seen many try to make the change from heavy steel to light graphite and be very unhappy with the results. 15-20 g is considered a small change for most people. Properly balanced, most golfers would not even notice.

BT

I believe this is me now (although it was a club change too) I went from my steel shafts being like 105g and now my graphite recoils are like 67g and Im now spraying it all over because it almost seems like I cant get the timing synce up with such a big change. This is also 6 months after owning these new shafts. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 17.5*/ 7 Wood 20.5* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 7-GW NS Pro 950GH JPX MMC Fli-Hi 5-6 NS Pro 950GH

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

... If you guys playing very light graphite shafts have a problem maintaining your tempo but you still wan't to play light shafts or just don't wanna give up after buying them, try adding some lead tape to the heads. Start with one iron and add two strips and see if this helps fool your brain. Initially I found my 95gm Recoils to be just a little lighter than ideal and I added lead tape increasing my swing weight to D4 from D2 and it really helped me. I think it might be worth a try. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If you guys playing very light graphite shafts have a problem maintaining your tempo but you still wan't to play light shafts or just don't wanna give up after buying them, try adding some lead tape to the heads. Start with one iron and add two strips and see if this helps fool your brain. Initially I found my 95gm Recoils to be just a little lighter than ideal and I added lead tape increasing my swing weight to D4 from D2 and it really helped me. I think it might be worth a try. 

This si the first time I've really thought about it in terms of swing weight. Just saw this off a website. So if my P790 with the regular shaft comes in at D2, then a shaft 40g lighter would change it to what? a C8 swingweight? If thats correct. I know the graphite shafts play a little longer to help increase swingweight but dont know the number. That seems like a huge difference to me though.

Shaft Weight Adjustments

Golfers can adjust the swingweight of their golf club by changing the weight of the shaft in their club. Assuming the shaft is not increased or decreased in length, an increase of 9 grams in shaft weight will increase swingweight by approximately one swingweight point (increase from D3 to D4, for example). Conversely, a decrease by 9 grams in shaft weight will decrease the swingweight by approximately one swingweight point.

Edited by patrickleeleep

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 7-GW NS Pro 950GH JPX MMC Fli-Hi 5-6 NS Pro 950GH

... It all depends on your graphite shaft. I have only used the Recoil 95/110 and Prototype 95's. But many graphite shafts have a lower balance point so swing weight stays the same as heavier steel or only drops a few points. I also play mine at 1/4" which helps maintain swing weight too. 

5 hours ago, RI_Redneck said:

Anyone considering trying graphite shafts in their irons needs to remember that changing the specs of your iron shafts WILL CHANGE YOUR SWING!!

2 hours ago, RI_Redneck said:

BT

The quote from your first post indicates any change from steel to graphite. The second part as you mention here is note accurate. Had you said purely the large drop in weight most if not everyone would agree that big of a change would have an effect. 

I chose the 110 because I didn’t want to go too light and I stayed away from the 125s as both the Lindsay from UST and myself agreed the 110s would be better fit late in the round as fatigue sets in.

New shafts coming from Nippon
IMG_0588.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Well I have some lead tape now and also bought some of the tungsten weights. Going to experiment with that first and bump the irons up 2 or so swing weights and see how they feel when I play this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The quote from your first post indicates any change from steel to graphite. The second part as you mention here is note accurate. Had you said purely the large drop in weight most if not everyone would agree that big of a change would have an effect. 

I chose the 110 because I didn’t want to go too light and I stayed away from the 125s as both the Lindsay from UST and myself agreed the 110s would be better fit late in the round as fatigue sets in.

Actually, if you read the entire sentence, it says that changing the specs of your iron shafts will change your swing. And if you read the next one, it gives an example of the types of changes to which I am referring. I apologize for writing such long posts that require excessive attention to interpret. Thanks for splitting hairs!

Cheers.

BT

39 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

Actually, if you read the entire sentence, it says that changing the specs of your iron shafts will change your swing. And if you read the next one, it gives an example of the types of changes to which I am referring. I apologize for writing such long posts that require excessive attention to interpret. Thanks for splitting hairs!

Cheers.

BT

Instead of splitting hairs over a statement that is open to interpretation we will have to agree to disagree that changes in specs changes swings. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Instead of splitting hairs over a statement that is open to interpretation we will have to agree to disagree that changes in specs changes swings. 

Works for me.

BT